Question about Relay Antennas

In my current play through I got a LVL 2 tracking station. My Mun probe is equipped 6 Communatron 16 antenna's. My Communication satellites in Kerbostationary orbit (3 in total) are each equipped with 2 HG-5 Relay Antenna's as well as 4 cummunatron 16 antenna's. When my Mun Probe is in direct line of sight with KSC (I disabled the additional ground stations) the signal comes through just fine. but once KSC moves away from LOS the probe looses connection. My relay antenna's don't pick up the signal.

Am I correct when I say I not only need sufficient sending capabilities on my probes, but that my relay satellites also need more relay antenna's or a more powerful relay Antenna?

It sounds like the key is line of site. You'll need a relay or series of relays that will get your signal back back to line of site with KSC.

But a pic of your tacking station would help nail it down for sure.

Communotron 16's are direct antennas. They do not combine with relay antennas, so they do not provide any benefit to a relay ship.

I am assuming that your antenna range is set to 100% in your difficulty settings.

Your 6 antennas on the probe give you 6Mm range. Your 2 HG5 antennas on your relay ships also have about a 6Mm range. Your probe is at an altitude of 11Mm above Kerbin, and your relays are at an altitude of about 3Mm, so the distance between them is 8Mm, and you will always be just out of range. So yes, you either need another relay much closer to the Mun, or you need more power in your relays.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.