[1.2.2] Hydrogen Compression

Zenithas

Ever wonder why you can't use the hydrogen you can harvest with Nils277's Kerbal Planetary Base Systems to power Nertea's Cryogenic Engines?  Wound up with excess LH2 and yet somehow you can't power your TAC Life Support Sabatier reactions so now your kerbals are dying of thirst?

Hydrogen Compression is a simple way to work across these, and other related mods.  Now, your 1.25m and 2.5m Convert-O-Trons can compress hydrogen into liquid hydrogen, evaporate liquid hydrogen into a gas again, or even choose to refine ore into gaseous hydrogen instead of liquid.

As of version 2, it now also handles oxygen (liquid/gas, ore processing), and flags.

If you're inclined, feel free to pick it up.

Hosted on Curse, Spacedock, and theoretically on CKAN.

Edited by Zenithas
Oxygen update

For what it's worth devices like this at the small enough to fit on the back of a truck size do exist in the real world, but you're a bit off the liquid gas ratios. Gaseous hydrogen converts to liquid hydrogen at a ratio of 788.0978865 to 1. That's the density of LqdHydrogen / density of Hydrogen.

The evaporation process should be virtually free in EC terms since liquid hydrogen requires no encouragement to boil off into a gas.

@JSO Thanks for catching that, I'll likely lower that ratio courtesy a) engineers so they can bring it back up, and b) kerbals aren't known for being the best engineers, so there's likely leakage.  LOX-O2 has a ratio of 1:861, correct?

Should have time to release the patch for it tomorrow.

Quick check online tells me O2:LOx is 1.293kg/m^3:1141kg/m^3 at STP, or 1:1091.261.
Hydrogen goes from 70kg/m^3 as a liquid to 0.0899 as a gas, or gas:liquid density of 1:778.643.

That's going to make for some fun calculations.

As for processing ore into stuff... to match the existing COT250 LH2 process for ore, I'd have to jump the H2 process to a whopping 111121.8019965L per 1kg ore, turning that one kilo into approximately 200x K&K canisters (max storage 6000L).  Amazingly, the K&K stuff is nowhere near balanced, but that isn't something I'm tackling here, I can handle correcting the sabatier reactions later.  Coming soon, sitting down to convert the K&K stuff to work on LH2 instead, save me the headache.

Turns out the COT250 will already turn ore into Oxidizer, and that's already LOx according to several cryogenic engines on Real Fuels.  With that exchange rate above, 0.55 ore should turn into 1200.3871 O2.  When I'm more comfortable with the mod as is, I'll throw in RF support to have an ore -> Ox converter as well.

Edited by Zenithas
ore -> Ox, not ore -> LOx.

2 hours ago, Zenithas said:

Quick check online tells me O2:LOx is 1.293kg/m^3:1141kg/m^3 at STP, or 1:1091.261.
Hydrogen goes from 70kg/m^3 as a liquid to 0.0899 as a gas, or gas:liquid density of 1:778.643.

That's going to make for some fun calculations.

The densities you need for the liquids and gasses are in the resource definitions in the community resource pack folder. All you have to do is divide.

2 hours ago, Zenithas said:

As for processing ore into stuff... to match the existing COT250 LH2 process for ore, I'd have to jump the H2 process to a whopping 111121.8019965L per 1kg ore, turning that one kilo into approximately 200x K&K canisters (max storage 6000L).  Amazingly, the K&K stuff is nowhere near balanced, but that isn't something I'm tackling here, I can handle correcting the sabatier reactions later.  Coming soon, sitting down to convert the K&K stuff to work on LH2 instead, save me the headache.

Turns out the COT250 will already turn ore into Oxidizer, and that's already LOx according to several cryogenic engines on Real Fuels.  With that exchange rate above, 0.55 ore should turn into 1200.3871 O2.  When I'm more comfortable with the mod as is, I'll throw in RF support to have an ore -> Ox converter as well.

The stock converter turns a kg of ore into a kg of LF/O without any loss, so ore can be whatever you want it to be. If you think of it as ice then producing hydrogen and oxygen is entirely plausible. A unit of ore weighs 10kg so you just have do do a little math to make sure the output doesn't weight more than the input.

8 hours ago, Jso said:

The densities you need for the liquids and gasses are in the resource definitions in the community resource pack folder. All you have to do is divide.

The stock converter turns a kg of ore into a kg of LF/O without any loss, so ore can be whatever you want it to be. If you think of it as ice then producing hydrogen and oxygen is entirely plausible. A unit of ore weighs 10kg so you just have do do a little math to make sure the output doesn't weight more than the input.

I'll take a look in a bit - largely created this one out of irritation.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.