Mission Idea: Emulating Real Life in Kerbal Space Program [WIP] [Submit a Payload] [Become a Launch or Payload Provider]

Spoiler
On 14/04/2017 at 2:56 PM, Andiron said:

Hello! I'm enrolling for this awesome program as a payload provider. I will mainly supply robotic crafts such as sats, landers or cargo.

My first offer is a small constellation of 6 comsats in Kerbin geostationary orbit, to provide probe control in Kerbin sphere of influence.

Reveal hidden contents

AMPCS I

a) Payload name? AMPCS Ia, AMPCS Ib, AMPCS Ic, AMPCS Id, AMPCS Ie and AMPCS If
    b) Payload provider? @Andiron
    c) Type of payload? 6x Comsats
    d) Payload price? 8530 kb
    e) Payload mass, part count and dimensions? 1.12t / 20 parts / 2.2x1.1x1.1
    f) Intended orbit (apoapsis, periapsis, inclination, any other orbital info)? Kerbin geostationary orbit
    g) Short description of the payload? Comsat with one mid-range relay dish (2G), three short-range relay dishes and three direct antennas

odlAEUc.jpg

These satellites, if the project is approved by the government, must be delivered by the rocket to a geostationary transfer orbit (like 75km x 2863.33km) which represents an extra 700m/s deltav from low orbit. The sat propulsion system will take care of the circularization. A bonus is available for a dual-payload launch, if possible. The payload cost for the constellation is 51180 kerbucks.

The file is available here : https://kerbalx.com/Andiron/AMPCS-I

15 minutes ago, Andiron said:

Here is my new creation, a spacecraft called Vincin (a river near my birthplace). It's a one-man capsule with a simple abort system, a compact service module(fuel, RCS, coms, batteries, solar panels) and about 700m/s deltav. It's modded and made with Porkjet parts, SXT and Tweakscale. Link: https://kerbalx.com/Andiron/Vincin-I

sW91hEr.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

Vincin I 

a) Payload name? Vincin I
    b) Payload provider? @Andiron
    c) Type of payload? Manned spacecraft
    d) Payload price? 3676 kb
    e) Payload mass, part count and dimensions? 2.446t / 30 parts / 3.67x1.25x1.25
    f) Intended orbit (apoapsis, periapsis, inclination, any other orbital info)? Pad test(static fire and abort), suborbital flight then LKO
    g) Short description of the payload? One-man capsule with an abort system and a service module

Hi!

I would like to schedule at least a double-payload launch (out of 3) of my AMPCS I constellation in Kerbin geostationnary orbit which launches will be provided by @TheEpicSquared rocket, Iridium I. Furthermore, I would like to test my new spacecraft, the Vincin on a launch pad with a static fire followed by a launch abort.

Thanks

Edited by Andiron

Despite reading the entire OP, I still don't understand how money works(e.g, test flights, budget). Also, what's the use for this thread compared to the craft submission craft thread?

7 hours ago, dundun92 said:

Despite reading the entire OP, I still don't understand how money works(e.g, test flights, budget). Also, what's the use for this thread compared to the craft submission craft thread?

The other thread is for craft posting only, this thread is for discussion. 

@TheEpicSquared when are the eve and duna launch windows?  

On 4/29/2017 at 7:38 PM, StupidAndy said:

WAAAAAIT!!!! IT ISNT 700KM!! THATS WAAY TOO LOW!!

I meant around 3000km!!

3000Km X 3000Km 0* inclination!

On 4/29/2017 at 7:42 PM, Skylon said:

Pretty sure I can still do that.

@TheEpicSquared, can you add this launch to the manifest, and update my MunDust-1 rocket please?

Could you also make a list of the launch windows, as I plan to make a Duna probe.

I'll add the launch to the manifest.

22 hours ago, Brent Kerman said:

Also: @Oliverm001x , on the antenna thing, I did not make a mistake. He used a mod that modified stock parts while saying we can build them in stock. My rocket description says: "Works in stock with Mechjeb, any mod that changes aerodynamics or stock parts may cause issues. " His heavily modded game broke my rocket. I don't want to have to install a bunch of mods that I don't want, to make sure they work in someone else's game. That is the responsibility of the user. I'm going to fix my rocket, but I do not want to end up losing money in the future because I play mostly stock. if it works for stock, but not someone else, that is not my problem.

All I'm saying is that it's not my fault if you did something wrong with your lifter which compromises its ability. And I thought that making sure it works in Kerbalism (since that's in the mod list, I thought people would look over it) is a given. 

At any rate, just give me the updated craft file and we can put this behind us.

14 hours ago, Andiron said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Hi!

I would like to schedule at least a double-payload launch (out of 3) of my AMPCS I constellation in Kerbin geostationnary orbit which launches will be provided by @TheEpicSquared rocket, Iridium I. Furthermore, I would like to test my new spacecraft, the Vincin on a launch pad with a static fire followed by a launch abort.

Thanks

Awesome! I'll add you to the manifest! Thanks! 

Edited by TheEpicSquared

12 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

All I'm saying is that it's not my fault if you did something wrong with your lifter which compromises its ability. And I thought that making sure it works in Kerbalism (since that's in the mod list, I thought people would look over it) is a given. 

At any rate, just give me the updated craft file and we can put this behind us.

I looked over Kerbalism. Entire signal section:

SIGNAL

Controlling a vessel and transmitting data require a direct or indirect connection with DSN, and has a specific data rate
  that degrade with distance. The signal is obstructed by celestial bodies, but can be relayed by other vessels. Low-Gain
  and High-Gain antennas are modelled: the former used for short-range inter-vessel communciations, the latter always point at DSN.
  Your voyager-style probe will now require a voyager-style antenna, and it will end up having voyager-style transmission rates.

Nowhere does it mention probe core antennas.  All I want is to be told BEFORE LAUNCHING that there is a mod problem. I am NOT installing Kerbalism, I have my life support mods already, and I don't want to break my saves. Therefore, I can't test for Kerbalism.

I also want to put this behind us, but I REALLY don't want it to happen again.

On 5/1/2017 at 5:09 PM, ZooNamedGames said:

Well let me know; I've got an old forum sitting idle. So you can take over that.

Sounds good! I'll PM you within the next couple of days probably, and we can settle on the particulars. 

Also, I should probably contact @Badie or someone to make sure an unofficial KSP fan-forum is alright (pretty sure it is, but there's no harm in being cautious :wink:).

Anyway, as I said, I'll PM you within the next couple of days. Thanks for the opportunity! :) 

23 hours ago, Skylon said:

@Oliverm001x @TheEpicSquared *ping*

I suggest you take inspiration from Drew Kerman's thread and webpage. So instead of e YouTube channel, you could livestream launches there, and put the video there, and maybe show a flight tracker there as well as a page of full descriptions of launchers and payloads. It would be a lot of work, but amazing to pull off. Perhaps you could ask him if he could help you set it up.

Oh wow, looks awesome! I'll contact @Drew Kerman and see if @Oliverm001x and I can work something out. Thanks for the heads-up!

3 hours ago, Brent Kerman said:

I looked over Kerbalism. Entire signal section:

SIGNAL

Controlling a vessel and transmitting data require a direct or indirect connection with DSN, and has a specific data rate
  that degrade with distance. The signal is obstructed by celestial bodies, but can be relayed by other vessels. Low-Gain
  and High-Gain antennas are modelled: the former used for short-range inter-vessel communciations, the latter always point at DSN.
  Your voyager-style probe will now require a voyager-style antenna, and it will end up having voyager-style transmission rates.

Nowhere does it mention probe core antennas.  All I want is to be told BEFORE LAUNCHING that there is a mod problem. I am NOT installing Kerbalism, I have my life support mods already, and I don't want to break my saves. Therefore, I can't test for Kerbalism.

I also want to put this behind us, but I REALLY don't want it to happen again.

Alright, next time there's a problem (which I don't think there is), I'll tell you before launch. Anyway, now that that's settled, why don't you give me the updated craft file and let's forget about this, shall we? :wink: 

42 minutes ago, icantmakemodels said:

@TheEpicSquared & @Oliverm001x:

I) Can I wait for 2.5m to make Leviathan?

II) How much will Kerbal tourists pay for a sub-orbital flight?

(In, say, a mk2 crew cabin)

III) If so, can I make a Single-stage-to-suborbital plane?

1. If you redesign your Leviathan to become 2.5m, then yes, you can introduce it when 2.5m rockets are approved.

2. Not sure yet. I'm thinking it should be affected by the "comfort" rating in Kerbalism - the higher the comfort, the higher the price. I'll have a think and let you know.

3. Yes. 

:) 

LAUNCH REPORT

@kerbinorbiter

Pimenova 

Launch Summary

Spoiler

On Y1 D60 2:25:01, the Pimenova rocket lifted off from the pad at Baikerbanur. Due to a KSP bug, which I could not fix, the launch was at a slight angle. However, the rocket soon straightened itself out and began its gravity turn. However, due to the lack of roll control, keeping the rocket on its proper trajectory was difficult (there was no MechJeb module on the rocket).

Additionally, due the lack of stabilization fins on the rocket, the Pimenova flipped once 37 seconds into flight. The rocket managed to recover, but this unintended bout of acrobatics had put the rocket on an extremely shallow trajectory. A correction was attempted, but this led to another flip, 53 seconds into flight. Again, the rocket recovered, but flipped twice 1 minute and 8 seconds into flight. The gimbal on the first stage engine again just managed to get the rocket on prograde, but it then flipped four more times, 1 minute and 18 seconds into flight.

By the eighth flip overall, the first stage propellant reserves had been exhausted, and the first stage engine shut down. At roughly this time, the rocket passed apoapsis and started to descend. The first stage was jettisoned and the second stage engine ignited, but it did not succeed at getting the rocket to ascend.

At this point, it was decided that the second stage would undergo a recovery attempt, as it was clear that it would not be getting to orbit. The chutes were deployed successfully and most of the propellant on the stage was burned off. The stage touched down on a hillside 4 minutes and 7 seconds after liftoff. The stage rolled down the hillside for a while, losing its communication antenna and one half of the fairing. The stage eventually came to a stop 4 minutes and 39 seconds into flight.

Meanwhile, after first stage separation at T+1 minute 30 seconds, the chutes on that stage had deployed successfully. The first stage touched down on a steep hillside 1 minute and 42 seconds into flight. A number of cubic octagonal struts were destroyed on impact, and the stage tipped over, due to the steep terrain. It stopped almost immediately within five seconds of touchdown.

The remnants of the first and second stages were recovered. 

Video

Spoiler

Mission status: UNSUCCESSFUL

- Orbit was not achieved

- Recovery partially successful

The Pimenova is not approved for further flights until its issues have been worked out - the main issues are:

- Lack of RCS system for in-space maneuvering

- Lack of stability

- Lack of roll control on the rocket

Additionally, as per the rules, @kerbinorbiter will not be allowed to launch for 90 kerbal days, until Y1 D130 (rule 13). Additionally, you lose 2x the cost of the Pimenova (which is 16,298 funds) (rule 12).

3 hours ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Sounds good! I'll PM you within the next couple of days probably, and we can settle on the particulars. 

Also, I should probably contact @Badie or someone to make sure an unofficial KSP fan-forum is alright (pretty sure it is, but there's no harm in being cautious :wink:).

Hope it is- since there's a lot of em out there.

11 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Hope it is- since there's a lot of em out there.

I hope so too.

5 minutes ago, kerbinorbiter said:

i think ill just wait until 2.5M rockets are approved because im more capapble of building 2.5m rockets

Right, but I think you should try to get at least two launch contracts for the Pimenova - which will be hard, considering the failure. But you should try, since you budget is currently a measly 16,616 funds, and that will decrease quickly with taxes.

Just a bit of advice. :) 

4 hours ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Alright, next time there's a problem (which I don't think there is), I'll tell you before launch. Anyway, now that that's settled, why don't you give me the updated craft file and let's forget about this, shall we? :wink: 

Will do when I get to KSP. Hopefully tonight.

Also, I think an off-KSP-forum forum is a great idea, we can have our companies again! :D (No slight to KSP forums, I know from experience that role-play can get out of hand very quickly.)

EDIT: Was video even recorded of the first several flights?

Edited by Brent Kerman

An urgent meeting of the Kerbal Sun Physics Society has deduced that the need for a solar observation satellite is paramount. A new Payload Provider, Dets65, is now formulating a plan for a basic solar observatory... We shall soon see the results.

8 minutes ago, VektorWorlds said:

An urgent meeting of the Kerbal Sun Physics Society has deduced that the need for a solar observation satellite is paramount. A new Payload Provider, Dets65, is now formulating a plan for a basic solar observatory... We shall soon see the results.

HEY! I'm doing that :D

are you thinking what I'm thinking?

INTER-COMPANY PARTNERSHIP!!

or not

7 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

@Numerlor Your launch is next. Do you have any launch instructions or something? Tell me now if you you do.

If you could, attach mechjeb case to it and then just set it to automatic ascent

Edited by Numerlor

I am hereby pulling out of this competition untill it transitions to RSS/RO and I am focused on ISEA  We are taking payload submission to full about a dozen launch slots this year. So feel free to submit somthing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.