Mission Idea: Emulating Real Life in Kerbal Space Program [WIP] [Submit a Payload] [Become a Launch or Payload Provider]

3 minutes ago, Skylon said:

It seems @TheEpicSquared is taking a break from this thread for a bit, which is fine

Yeah, I've been loaded with several assignments (one of which is a 3700 word science lab report :confused:), so I've had next to no free time :( 

I'll try to get more active maybe next week, or the week after that (since all assignments will have been given in by then. :) 

Hey, @Skylon, I have a 6-kerbal Stubsy-class SSTO ("Martinez"), in late-phase development, that can probably rendezvous assuming the station is on a low equatorial orbit and it's launched at the right time.  Geusstimate 3000 :funds:/ launch. I'm working on a cargo version too.

Edited by icantmakemodels

1 hour ago, icantmakemodels said:

Hey, @Skylon, I have a 6-kerbal Stubsy-class SSTO ("Martinez"), in late-phase development, that can probably rendezvous assuming the station is on a low equatorial orbit and it's launched at the right time.  Geusstimate 3000 :funds:/ launch. I'm working on a cargo version too.

Well the station will be on an inclined orbit, and soon raised to a 250km orbit

1 hour ago, icantmakemodels said:

NO SSTOs. Mentioned many times. I had to downgrade my rocket so the first stage didn't make orbit.

On 5/2/2017 at 10:43 PM, Brent Kerman said:

Will do when I get to KSP. Hopefully tonight.

Also, I think an off-KSP-forum forum is a great idea, we can have our companies again! :D (No slight to KSP forums, I know from experience that role-play can get out of hand very quickly.)

EDIT: Was video even recorded of the first several flights?

I haven't contacted @ZooNamedGames, I'll do that now. Video was recorded starting with @kerbinorbiter's flight (Pimenova). However, I've been having some trouble with my recording software, so I'll try to fix that. 

On 5/2/2017 at 11:54 PM, VektorWorlds said:

An urgent meeting of the Kerbal Sun Physics Society has deduced that the need for a solar observation satellite is paramount. A new Payload Provider, Dets65, is now formulating a plan for a basic solar observatory... We shall soon see the results.

On 5/3/2017 at 0:03 AM, StupidAndy said:

HEY! I'm doing that :D

are you thinking what I'm thinking?

INTER-COMPANY PARTNERSHIP!!

or not

On 5/3/2017 at 0:12 AM, VektorWorlds said:

Maybe... we shall see. Care to share any details of your mission plan? :wink:

I'll let you two figure something out.

On 5/3/2017 at 0:27 AM, StupidAndy said:

if you go over the last few pages, you'll see my launch negotiations, and lets see, find my submission...

its at the bottom of the page

On 5/3/2017 at 0:41 AM, VektorWorlds said:

Here's my probe plan (it uses a few parts from not yet approved mods, which is why it's a plan right now)

http://prntscr.com/f3f0ef

Of course, I could be more than happy to develop a new mission :)

On 5/3/2017 at 3:02 AM, StupidAndy said:

what's the mod list? the parts look good!

On 5/3/2017 at 1:25 PM, VektorWorlds said:

Bluedog Design Bureau, ProbesPlus and DMagic

I added those after you PM'd me, right @VektorWorlds?

On 5/4/2017 at 5:51 PM, Uace24 said:

I am hereby pulling out of this competition untill it transitions to RSS/RO and I am focused on ISEA  We are taking payload submission to full about a dozen launch slots this year. So feel free to submit somthing.

Ok.

On 5/4/2017 at 6:53 PM, Skylon said:

I would like to schedule a launch of 3 Skysat-1Bs to 500km. If they don't have reaction wheels, tell me. They may have to circularise under their own power. If that is the case (and if it is possible), releases them at 60 degrees from each other, using a 2/3 orbital period. 

@TheEpicSquared

Will do.

On 5/4/2017 at 7:37 PM, icantmakemodels said:

@TheEpicSquared, here's some proposed equations:

Grr, the forum won't parse and display TeX for me.

XvlFTmM.png

On 5/4/2017 at 7:44 PM, Skylon said:

Duration at destination?

Maybe an equation to determine price as well/instead? 

I'd one myself but...

Good equation though.

On 5/4/2017 at 7:46 PM, icantmakemodels said:

I don't think it would really matter; you could game the equation by using a greenhouse and timewarp.

On 5/4/2017 at 7:50 PM, Skylon said:

Maybe something quadratic then with diminishing rewards, up to a certain point. Also comfort is not a numerical  value. And of course redundancy/reliability is something to consider.

On 5/4/2017 at 7:53 PM, icantmakemodels said:

It's just a rough equation; It probably needs way more terms. Perhaps,

6XpghXK.png

T is time in days

t is some arbitrary constant ~2. Depends on how quickly you want diminishing returns.

EDIT: Prettyprint TeX equations

On 5/4/2017 at 7:59 PM, Skylon said:

Yes, I think. But maybe also the Kerbals gone previously should be with diminishing returns also. I'm trying to work out an equation with price instead of n

Not the best at that kind of thing though

On 5/4/2017 at 8:20 PM, Skylon said:

Here is my proposed equation for comfort or C: 

C=(H/K)*((sqrtO*2)+S

Where C is comfort, H is habitation space, K is the amount of kerbals, and O is the amount of Kerbals minus 1 (I could've used K again but I only noticed it afterwards and it would use too many brackets). 

S is for signal. If there is constant signal, the value is 1. If there is signal during launch and at the destination it is 0.5. If there is little signal the value is 0.1; kerbals won't fly if there is never any signal.

On 5/4/2017 at 8:28 PM, icantmakemodels said:

Why not use the Kerbalism stat?

Poor 1
Good 2
Great 3
Excellent 4

I can't be bothered to boot KSP to check what the actual stats are called and how many there are, but something like this

On 5/4/2017 at 8:32 PM, Skylon said:

I suppose you could, but you sorta want more values, with lower intervals. A custom one is more, well... customisable... and the kerbalism stats don't really tell you how they decide values.

On 5/4/2017 at 8:33 PM, icantmakemodels said:

On 5/4/2017 at 8:45 PM, Skylon said:

p=(C*sqrtR)*(D*sqrtT)

Where p is price, C is comfort, R is reliability (number of kerbals who have been before), D is distance as decided by icantmakemodels and T is time.

I need to fix leverage when I can apply the equations.

You may notice that if no kerbals have gone before, the value is 0 due to the square root of 0 being 0. However, if no kerbal has gone before and it is the first kerbal (ever), they pay a bonus price. If it is the first kerbal to fly a certain craft to somewhere, but that place has been visited before by a tourist, then the value is ~0.1

Something like that anyway

Well, that's some awesome maths! Have you come up with a final equation? If so, give it to me and it'll come into effect. 

On 5/5/2017 at 7:57 PM, Skylon said:

I would like to schedule a launch of 6 of my SkySat-1As in Launch Configuration 1. They would launch to a 500km orbit. Since I would like to test re-entry of the Arthur-1 upper stage from a higher orbit, leave the periapsis of it after deorbits as high as it can be while still maintaining an impact. It will  re-enter radial out for as long as possible, then retrograde. Use the RCS.

Are all 6 launching on the same rocket? I'll add you to the manifest.

On 5/6/2017 at 7:10 AM, Skylon said:

@53miner53 how much do your station resupply modules weigh? I will probably only let you dock 1 or 2 for now.  What docking port size(s) do they use?

On 5/6/2017 at 11:20 AM, Skylon said:

Here is a schematic I drew of the planned StarGate-1 station. L-1 is the logistics module, C-1 is the cargo module, H-1 (there are four of them, three not shown) are the habitation modules, and A-1 is the airlock module. A-1 will have a Cupola on the side to view Kerbin. The squares at the top are a bad representation of engines, and the straight lines are a small docking port. The straight lines with crosses between modules are normal sized docking ports. There are solar panels on L-1 and C-1.Fsqtr4V.jpg

On 5/6/2017 at 0:39 PM, Skylon said:

I've finished up the modules, and put them together: 6asyGsS.jpgThe picture came out badly for some reason, and Kerbalism says no E/C will be produced, but oh well. And I just noticed it needs more batteries, probably.

On 5/6/2017 at 2:24 PM, 53miner53 said:

They are 1 ton each, and I'm not sure I can get them beyond a 100 km circular orbit with Copper 1. They use a standard clamp o tron on both ends, so I could dock them to each other, and to the spacecraft.

My Kerbalism is saying no ec production too. Please tell me if you figure out how to fix that.

On 5/6/2017 at 2:44 PM, Skylon said:

If you can make a craft that can take 2 months or more of supplies and dock that is under 2.7t, I will launch it on my Arthur-1 rocket and you will get some of the profit from government/tourist contracts if your resources are used. Or if you like I can pay you directly for the resources you provide. I am now working out the projected costs of StarGate-1

I'll let you figure something out.

On 5/10/2017 at 5:07 PM, icantmakemodels said:

@TheEpicSquared, schedule another two Helium+Xsat Launches under the name "Helium+Xsat2" & "Helium+Xsat3", assuming the first launch works.

Put it them in Geosync 120 degrees from Xsat1 each other; schedule the launches accordingly.

https://kerbalx.com/Blacksilver/Helium-Xsat1

Also, how much does the gov pay per Kerbal month for the satellites?

-----

Someone post something because I have more equations.

Ok.

On 5/11/2017 at 8:29 PM, icantmakemodels said:

Is this the final equation? 

On 5/12/2017 at 0:26 AM, SpaceAeronautics said:

This group still active?

Yes.

On 5/12/2017 at 4:14 PM, HobbitJack said:

I found a nice 95% reusable launcher... I'll sell it!

*Made*

Looking forward to it!

On 5/13/2017 at 11:30 PM, Kerbiter said:

Oh hi...

I decided to check this here thread, but I'm not so sure if SpaceY will even go into this...

@TheEpicSquared Will you approve of glorious SpaceY?

Providing your rocket meets all the rules, you're in.

On 5/15/2017 at 4:02 AM, 53miner53 said:

I think he already did. Check the mod list.

He means his company "SpaceY", not the mods. :wink: 

On 5/15/2017 at 5:00 AM, Kerbiter said:

No he hasn't.

On 5/15/2017 at 0:35 PM, 53miner53 said:

SpaceY heavy lifters and SpaceY expanded are both on the list.

He means his company "SpaceY", not the mods. :wink: 

On 5/16/2017 at 6:10 PM, icantmakemodels said:

@TheEpicSquared, since you liked the previous post, I'll assume no SSTOs for now. I'll do the Virgin Galactic thing then.

Yup, no SSTOs please.

On 5/18/2017 at 2:23 AM, HobbitJack said:

@TheEpicSquared I finished my Relay-Sat series, could you please update the OP?

Sure.

On 5/20/2017 at 4:40 AM, Drew Kerman said:

I just remembered getting mentioned here. If you did reach out to me since then I never got anything

No, I didn't reach out to you due to RL. I'll do it sometime. :) 

@Numerlor, expect your launch report to be out tomorrow or Wednesday. :) 

now i´m joining the launch providing business

i present to you:

the TSG Telesto by TSG Aerospace launcher division!

1.25m in diameter, don´t let the fairing fool you, it´s 15.7m tall (4.3 m of efective payload size (including the fairing))

1.6 t to LKO (biggest tested) 

cost to build: 9340:funds: , launch cost: 10274 :funds:, for the buyer: 12500:funds:, clean profit: 2226:funds:

expendable

fueled mass: 19.890 t

Edited by tsgaerospace

This sounds like an awesome idea! I'm definitely participating NOW! Or... when I finish making a payload!

Quick question, I'm kind of confused on how payload providers make money. Does the "government" pay them for contracts? Are there set amounts for different contracts? I get how it works on the Launch Provider side, but *for now* I'm more interested in the Payloads. How do those work?

38 minutes ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

Quick question, I'm kind of confused on how payload providers make money. Does the "government" pay them for contracts? Are there set amounts for different contracts? I get how it works on the Launch Provider side, but *for now* I'm more interested in the Payloads. How do those work?

payload providers don't have budgets (YAY!!) so you can make whatever you want

3 hours ago, StupidAndy said:

payload providers don't have budgets (YAY!!) so you can make whatever you want

Huh... interesting. I could easily see a system of "contracts" for payloads that could be written by the government, launch providers, and even other payload providers.

Science experiments could also generate funds, but since this is a sandbox game that would be tricky.

The current system is fine, but I just feel this could make the payload provider side a bit better. It would also give launch providers and payload providers the ability to spend money on a contract to stimulate the industry a little.

Not sure how realistic it would be, though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.