Mission Idea: Emulating Real Life in Kerbal Space Program [WIP] [Submit a Payload] [Become a Launch or Payload Provider]

17 hours ago, StupidAndy said:

@TheEpicSquared has the save, we don't pass it around because of complexity and such

Indeed @TheEpicSquared and I figured due to the probability of potential difficulty we opted to abstain from that. However, that is not set in stone so to speak, and may change in the future.

There's a mod called DMP and with it, you can host servers. So there's one host who has the save, and everyone can come and play on it, at the same time. So things might go even faster. But it does mean that a server is required. I don't know if it's possible. If it is, it can be so cool!

2 hours ago, aerodis said:

There's a mod called DMP and with it, you can host servers. So there's one host who has the save, and everyone can come and play on it, at the same time. So things might go even faster. But it does mean that a server is required. I don't know if it's possible. If it is, it can be so cool!

• It only works with older versions of Ksp
  • It requires everyone participating to be online at once
  • It isn't necessary really
  • It has multiple other problems
  • IRL launches don't happen all the time, so it is unrealistic for it to go very quickly; we are trying to emulate real life here
  • It is still complex
  • Something good about not passing the save around is that you don't have to worry about installing other people's mods for your craft to be compatible. They just need to be compatible with @TheEpicSquared's save. The mods probably would have to be compatible with DMP

Something we could do is livestream launches.

Here's my tentative evil plan:

0. Neon: Launches the Gravitas reusable NERV tug to LKO, possibly in parts. (We only do this once)

1. Neon: Launches three smallish comsats in a fairing (with it's own RCS and docking port) to LKO and rendezvous with Gravitas
  2. Neon: Launches a fuel tank to rendezvous with Gravitas and refuels it. (Reusable. Might be done during launch 2)
  3. Gravitas: Hauls the comsats to literally anywhere.
  4. Gravitas: Returns to LKO
  5. PROFIT!
  6. Repeat

@TheEpicSquared, Can I "copyright" this so nobody else can do it?

Does anyone get the "Gravitas" reference?

Edited by icantmakemodels
Wording

3 hours ago, Skylon said:

@53miner53 how much can you resupply my station with? Around 3 or 4 food/water containers and the matching levels of Oxygen/Nitrgogen was what o was going for. I think that the best way to do it would to use a shuttle craft so it is reusable

The current design has 1 food/water container, 2 oxygen, 1 hydrogen, and 1 nitrogen. I can't add much because of weight limits on Copper 1. I'll try, though!

by the way, would the ability to leave the resupply module at the station be something you want, or should I cut that and see how much more that allows me to add?

11 minutes ago, 53miner53 said:

The current design has 1 food/water container, 2 oxygen, 1 hydrogen, and 1 nitrogen. I can't add much because of weight limits on Copper 1. I'll try, though!

by the way, would the ability to leave the resupply module at the station be something you want, or should I cut that and see how much more that allows me to add?

Not sure what you mean by leaving it at the station but as long as it can dock and transfer resources then that is fine. I will add a cargo module later allowing for better storage, and the crew modules after that, and there is no crew capacity on the service module, so your resupply craft will not be needed for a while. You may, however, test docking. The main docking port will be junior, so keep that in mind.

I'm still developing my own resupply module, which will probably take around 3/4 containers to the station and hopefully be reusable.

1 minute ago, Skylon said:

Not sure what you mean by leaving it at the station but as long as it can dock and transfer resources then that is fine. I will add a cargo module later allowing for better storage, and the crew modules after that, and there is no crew capacity on the service module, so your resupply craft will not be needed for a while. You may, however, test docking. The main docking port will be junior, so keep that in mind.

I'm still developing my own resupply module, which will probably take around 3/4 containers to the station and hopefully be reusable.

I designed it to be able to dock to the station and undock the second stage of Copper 1 from the module. I think I may remove this feature to add more LS if I can, and switching the docking port to a jr port and see where that gets me.

reusability is definitely possible with Copper 1 Drop. I've landed the first stage fully fueled and with a payload on its parachutes, so it's capable of reuse.

15 minutes ago, 53miner53 said:

I designed it to be able to dock to the station and undock the second stage of Copper 1 from the module. I think I may remove this feature to add more LS if I can, and switching the docking port to a jr port and see where that gets me.

reusability is definitely possible with Copper 1 Drop. I've landed the first stage fully fueled and with a payload on its parachutes, so it's capable of reuse.

Could you show a picture?

@Skylon Here's a picture of the current version: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0eMT8zRijNmRHF1VnRqektFTE0

Here's a picture of a possible redesign to add 1 more food+water: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0eMT8zRijNmSnhpWHJvdzF3YUE

edit: the best I can do to that inclination and altitude is 2 food+water, 3 oxygen, and 1 nitrogen, in normal sized containers. Is this enough?

Edited by 53miner53

33 minutes ago, 53miner53 said:

@Skylon Here's a picture of the current version: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0eMT8zRijNmRHF1VnRqektFTE0

Here's a picture of a possible redesign to add 1 more food+water: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0eMT8zRijNmSnhpWHJvdzF3YUE

edit: the best I can do to that inclination and altitude is 2 food+water, 3 oxygen, and 1 nitrogen, in normal sized containers. Is this enough?

How much does it cost with the LV? I have a craft which costs a total of under 20,000 which could take 4 food/water containers to the station if the launcher is reusable

40 minutes ago, Skylon said:

How much does it cost with the LV? I have a craft which costs a total of under 20,000 which could take 4 food/water containers to the station if the launcher is reusable

I realized I had a different design that was cheaper and more powerful, so I'm cutting Copper 1 Drop from the list, and replacing it with Copper 1.1. More info ASAP.

edit: it can definitely take the 4 food/water, 3 oxygen, and 1 nitrogen for less than :funds:20000, but I need to figure out its LKO capabilities before I post it. Should be up in less than 2 days.

Edited by 53miner53

17 hours ago, StupidAndy said:

QUESTION!

can I make rockets, but not be a launch provider, so I can be a payload provider, but instead of satellites, I build rockets, that other people buy to launch things with?

Now you're just a LP using other LPs as middlemen.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.