minmus bypass

Challenge:

For this challenge, you will need to make a Rocket (No SSTO's or space planes allowed) that goes  to minmus  an back to kerbin, but you cannot a 'stable' orbit, what i mean by this is that you have to do this all in one go.

Expert Mode: do everything else but fly past the moon on the way out and on the way back in!

Steps:

1. Build Rocket

2. Fly to minmus (you can orbit around earth first, you have to go straight for minmus)

3. loop back to kerbin (Again, no orbits around minmus either, you have to go straight back)

4. land near the KSP (near as in that you can still see it)

5. Celebrate!!!!

Rules:

1. No cheats

2. No Mods

3. Only rockets, no SSTO's and space planes

4. no 'stable' orbits

5. no refueling at a space station, rocket etc.

Try making your Rocket as small as possible

Have Fun!!!!!

Edited by Ricokoster
just adding some text i forgot

This isn't SO difficult that is REQUIRES the poster to post their try, though I'd appreciate it :)

The only really tough part is nailing a Minmus encounter while your Pe is still within Kerbin's atmosphere. Or, you could launch directly to a Mun encounter and then fiddle with maneuver nodes to get a Minmus encounter from there.

I may give this a shot.

Done.

album: http://imgur.com/a/hYdD9

Built a regular-regulation-rocket.

LQ5P4JW.png

Set Minmus as the target then waited for Minmus to move across the sky and be about 45° on the NavBall.

I usually am at about 45° around 10Km. So I figured I would head straight for Minmus at that point.

WNiGZ29.png

Kept on accelerating until the Ap was just about the distance of Minmus from Kerbin.

X0mjz18.png

Then played with the node until I got an encounter.

Then played some more until the Kerbin Pe was about 30km. Turning the flyby into a Free-Return.

VTcsYmi.png

Minmus

0DPJlQ3.png

Going home

6yTdpew.png

V4VLZ1e.png

I must say this was fun.

The challenge could be improved with more rules or mini-challenges.

Such as points for closest aproach to Minmus.

Mimus and Mun flyby.

Time from takeoff to recovery.

Cost of mission, min. fuel., etc.

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

I successfully test ran this. I was just designing the rocket and testing it out for dV (I'm doing it 100% stock), and figured out mid-flight how to guarantee a Minmus encounter. So I completed the mission :)

It was seat-of-the-pants so no proof, but I'll have a vid or pics up when I redo it. May be a few days though. Stupid life being busy.

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

I successfully test ran this. I was just designing the rocket and testing it out for dV (I'm doing it 100% stock), and figured out mid-flight how to guarantee a Minmus encounter. So I completed the mission :)

It was seat-of-the-pants so no proof, but I'll have a vid or pics up when I redo it. May be a few days though. Stupid life being busy.

Same here I did a test run first. Made me see the foolish and the obvious.

Added a bit of delta-V and made a better flight plan from it.

ME

I've actually got an old video focusing on a mission run just like this. It's pretty silly so I'll just leave it in the spoiler tab.

Spoiler

It didn't land very close to KSC, so perhaps not a full entry, but an entry in spirit. I atleast managed step 5: Celebrate! Landing close to KSC from a direct return trajectory sounds pretty tricky to be honest. Does any one have a trick for that?

Welcome to the forums, @Ricokoster, and thanks for the challenge!

Edit: Working on a purpose built mission for this.

Edited by Cunjo Carl

6 hours ago, Cunjo Carl said:

....Landing close to KSC from a direct return trajectory sounds pretty tricky to be honest. Does any one have a trick for that?

Welcome to the forums, @Ricokoster, and thanks for the challenge!

Edit: Working on a purpose built mission for this.

Hi.

I didn't even try to land close to the KSC. Or on the equator for that matter.

But...

Kerbin turns at a fix rate. An actual space program would calculate what latitude you would hit by the time you get in the atmosphere.

For us doing it on the fly....I don't know how one can predict.

If you don't mind doing a dozen "Simulation" you can "Widen" your trajectory to delay your arrival allowing the KSC to get where you will be.

Adding 6 hours to your trip mean one full rotation of Kerbin.

If you can add 6 hours to the trip you can land anywhere on the equator.

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

12 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

This isn't SO difficult that is REQUIRES the poster to post their try, though I'd appreciate it :)

The only really tough part is nailing a Minmus encounter while your Pe is still within Kerbin's atmosphere. Or, you could launch directly to a Mun encounter and then fiddle with maneuver nodes to get a Minmus encounter from there.

I may give this a shot.

i will try to do it shortly, don't really have much time at the moment

11 hours ago, Martian Emigrant said:

Done.

album: http://imgur.com/a/hYdD9

Built a regular-regulation-rocket.

LQ5P4JW.png

Set Minmus as the target then waited for Minmus to move across the sky and be about 45° on the NavBall.

I usually am at about 45° around 10Km. So I figured I would head straight for Minmus at that point.

WNiGZ29.png

Kept on accelerating until the Ap was just about the distance of Minmus from Kerbin.

X0mjz18.png

Then played with the node until I got an encounter.

Then played some more until the Kerbin Pe was about 30km. Turning the flyby into a Free-Return.

VTcsYmi.png

Minmus

0DPJlQ3.png

Going home

6yTdpew.png

V4VLZ1e.png

I must say this was fun.

The challenge could be improved with more rules or mini-challenges.

Such as points for closest aproach to Minmus.

Mimus and Mun flyby.

Time from takeoff to recovery.

Cost of mission, min. fuel., etc.

ME

i'm impressed! you did a great job. this the first challenge i ever created on this website. so there is some space (Ha, get it? because Kerbal Space Program. no? ik i'll stop) for improvements  

That's more like it! I wasn't huge on my previous entry, so I made a mission for this challenge which does a flyby through canyons on Mun and Minmus. It stays on hyperbolic or suborbital trajectories (except for one slipup) and does of all its burns vertically (except correction burns). I also finally figured out how to land at KSC when coming in high and fast. If you put your trajectory to where KSC is now, you can click to add a manuever node near the surface and KSP will tell you how long from now you'll arrive there. Simply alter your velocity until it's an integer number of days away and head on home!

Also, this mission required some tight coordination of the planets in order to have lighting: It launched from KSC at sunrise, went to farside of Mun at sunset, and arrived at the nearside of Minmus at sunrise. I was expecting to spend forever and a day waiting for the planets, sun and KSC to align, but it turns out everything is just about perfect at dawn of the second day (day 1 4:15). What luck!

Oh, and it lands on the Admin's helipad :cool:. How could I resist?

Edited by Cunjo Carl

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.