If you could meet any five people, who would you meet?

Ultimate Steve

On 12/5/2017 at 9:51 PM, benzman said:

I must be getting old, or else I have led a sheltered life.  Apart from Hunter Thompson and Clive Sinclair I had to Google all the others to find out who they were!

Most of them are relatively obscure individuals in fairness, but not knowing who David Braben is... on a space-game forum... tut tut! :P

Interesting topic. Can't decide. I often try to avoid disappointment. 

But Frank Zappa, George Carlin and Bill Hicks would be high on my list.

On 2017-5-11 at 10:43 PM, pxi said:

These are the ones that first spring to mind:

Dead:

• Robert Anton Wilson
  • Terence McKenna
  • Johnn Balance
  • Peter Christopherson
  • Hunter S. Thompson

Living:

• Genesis P-Orridge
  • Isabella Bunny Bennett
  • Thighpaulsandra
  • Clive Sinclair
  • David Braben

Yep ... love their music.

On 5/12/2017 at 4:51 PM, benzman said:

I must be getting old, or else I have led a sheltered life.  Apart from Hunter Thompson and Clive Sinclair I had to Google all the others to find out who they were!

Hunter Thompson was the only one I have heard of, and mostly because he is from my hometown.

10 hours ago, Azimech said:

Interesting topic. Can't decide. I often try to avoid disappointment.

I'd tend to agree, the old 'never meet your idols' thing has held pretty true for me.

10 hours ago, Azimech said:

Yep ... love their music.

I'll forever be grateful that I managed to catch their final gig in Dublin.  Wasn't their best performance imho - Dublin Castle does host a lot of gigs but I've never heard of them using that particular part of the building for gigs and acoustically it's not really the most suitable - but the final track was awesome, an incredible (and oddly poignant) way to go out.  Never been able to spot myself in the concert footage though sadly.  I made contact with Sleazy through Myspace shortly after Balance died and he seemed like a perfectly lovely guy, so I suppose you could consider that I have technically met him, but I'd consider online interaction slightly out of the context of the thread so he stays on the list imo.

If you want something Coil-related that might pose more questions then it answers, may I suggest looking up 'Did He Fall' by Thighpaulsandra.  If I ever meet him I'll certainly be asking him about that song.  I'd post the video, but possible forum rule infractions.

Went out of the room into the corridor.
So.

1. Electrical engineer.
2.3. Two shift technologists.
4. Charwoman.
5. Some man, don't know him, but in a brown coat.

So. I could, I did.

Edited by kerbiloid

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2017 at 8:19 PM, Firemetal said:

3. Scott Manley

Ya know, I hadn't considered him, but yeah, it might be fun to hang out with Scott Manley for an evening... imagine what you might learn, even if you were just drinking some obscure ale and playing KSP???  :wink:

10 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Ya know, I hadn't considered him, but yeah, it might be fun to hang out with Scott Manley for an evening... imagine what you might learn, even if you were just drinking some obscure ale and playing KSP???  :wink:

You'd probably learn not to drink too much obscure ale whilst playing KSP.  Bad for the head - bad for Jeb's head. :) 

2 minutes ago, KSK said:

You'd probably learn not to drink too much obscure ale whilst playing KSP.  Bad for the head - bad for Jeb's head. :) 

True! I'm not actually much of a drinker, but I know in some of Scott's video streams he'll be drinking something really off the wall and curious sounding... and if this was the case, I'd have to try at least one.  :wink:

Edited by Just Jim

3 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

True! I'm not actually much of a drinker, but I know in some of Scott's video streams he'll be drinking something really off the wall and curious sounding... and if this was the case, I'd have to try at least one.  :wink:

Oh definitely! I haven't followed his videos for a while but if he's drinking local Scottish stuff, you'll have no lack of curious names (and excellent beers) to choose from :) Anyhow - I'll stop here rather than veering any further off topic!

Just now, KSK said:

Oh definitely! I haven't followed his videos for a while but if he's drinking local Scottish stuff, you'll have no lack of curious names (and excellent beers) to choose from :) Anyhow - I'll stop here rather than veering any further off topic!

Agreed. :wink:

Pierre De Fermat - so I could corner him demanding the proof of his last theorem.

Sam Cooke - So I could hear him live in concert.

Nikola Tesla - So I could play with his remote controlled boat.

The last Basque remembering where they came from and ask where they picked up their language

Any of those who wrote in one of the undeciphered scripts

EDIT coz I can't count:

Gary and Punka Khoza, Ivan Kadey, Paul Giraud and Mike Lebesi from National Wake to learn what guts means.

Edited by LN400

This is an excellent thread, now for my twopence worth and in no particular order:

Thomas Andrews (designed the Olympic Class liners including Titanic on which he lost his life).

Harry Ferguson (Irish engineer and aviation pioneer who invented the modern tractor, the Ferguson P99 Formula 1 racing car and was the first man to fly an aircraft in Ireland).

Pete Conrad (but any of them really)

R.J. Mitchell (designed the Supermarine Spitfire).

Umberto Pugliese (Italian Naval Architect responsible for the Littorio Class battleships generally regarded as the most beautiful battleships ever built - especially the third of the class "RM Roma").

There, that's five and they're all dead.  Five living are a bit trickier as I don't see many who I find all that inspiring these days, except for...

HM Queen Elizebeth II

Who else..?

Prince Phillip (those two come as a set! :D)

John Cleese

Marcus House (Tasmanian KSP'er who not only builds spacecraft which just oozes awesomeness, but also happens to be a really nice bloke).

Holocaust survivors who are true and genuine heroes in my book.

An honourable mention must go to "Pete", Amy Shira Teitel's pet cat!  Obviously his owner would have to bring him to wherever we were going to meet up! :wink: :cool:

On 25/05/2017 at 8:45 PM, The Raging Sandwich said:

The current one

There are thousands upon thousands of presidents. Presidents of various nations, presidents of companies, presidents of bowling clubs. Without being more specific, which one is intended is anyone's guess.

Please remember these are international forums.

2 hours ago, Camacha said:

There are thousands upon thousands of presidents. Presidents of various nations, presidents of companies, presidents of bowling clubs. Without being more specific, which one is intended is anyone's guess.

Please remember these are international forums.

On 5/25/2017 at 11:45 AM, The Raging Sandwich said:

The current one

On 5/25/2017 at 0:28 PM, The Raging Sandwich said:

Of the US, won't name names

:P

On 5/25/2017 at 2:28 PM, The Raging Sandwich said:

Of the US, won't name names

Why not?  Simply naming him is not a political act; it doesn't show support or opposition for him.  You've already identified him, so there's no anonymity.  It's not like people don't know who he is.

"Donald J. Trump."

If this simple string of letters is offensive or forbidden to someone simply for being what it is, then that person needs to get on with their life and stop pretending that words have some sort of magical powers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.