Spoiled [KSP Story Series] [Episode 1: Well Dressed Gentlemen]

ZooNamedGames

Spoiled

1N4vCNe.jpg

Kerbals drive for Kerbin's sweet oil ore.

[Episode 1: Well Dressed Gentlemen]

The sound of banging on my front door broke my concentration. This would be the third time today that my focus has been broken as I attempt to finish my news paper. So I stand up and head to the door expecting yet another farmer or local attempting to sell something to me when I instead see what I did not expect to see; a well dressed gentlemen. He wore a black suit with a rounded bowl cap carrying a slick black suitcase to match. As I continue to approach the door I ask "How can I help you sir"? He clears his through and tells me "I am here on behalf of one of your relatives who sadly just past". I looked stunned as I know the majority of my family are already dead. I asked him who and he said, "A Gus Kerman". "I've never heard of 'em".

I then open the door and usher him in and he then explains that he came to provide me with Gus' will. "What'd he leave me?" I asked, and that's when he opens his briefcase and pulls out a sheet of paper. "The legacy of Gus Ivan Kerman has set forth to his sole remaining relative, his entire wealth, profits, and property". I stare at him for a few moments before finally asking "So what does that leave me?". "That would leave you with a large sum of wealth and three pieces of property, specifically the Kerman Mines, Drysands and his estate east of Labrek". I know the Kerman mines are they were a hotspot not too long ago for mining activity for those who wanted wealth before the mines were closed for unexplained reasons, however I had never heard of Drysands nor of any estate in that area however I knew Labrek as an old town that used to be a hotspot for activity before people started moving elsewhere.

Then I finally focus on the part that I was most interested in, I ask, "How large a sum?". That's when he raises one eye brow and replies, "a very large sum". That's when he truly peaks my interests and I ask him "So how or when do I get access to this?". "You will receive all keys and grants to the properties in the mail in the next few weeks and as to the wealth, that'll come as a check for you to give to your local bank". That's when I see him lean down and put the sheet back into his briefcase before standing back up and replying "Is there anything else you'd like to know before I head off? Any other questions or concerns?". To which I answer "None. You just made me very happy, "I certain I am". I then open the door for him and watch him walk back towards the road where he came.

Once he leaves eyesight, I head into my study and search for my existing maps of the local area and begin scanning them for the location of the two properties the man mentioned. I quickly find Kerman Mine, which is located just north west of Labrek. With the location and nearby markers memorized, I then begin to scan all my maps for 'Drysands'. I've never heard of it's name nor anything like it having lived my entire life in highlands and grassland. There's a quarry south west of town, however it's nearly a weeks trip by horseback. The maps I have say that it goes by a different name which makes me think that it likely isn't it. Then I come to conclusion if I can't find it then there must be someone who can.

So I grab my brown leather hat and throw it on and head out and jump atop my horse, Moho. Then I quickly head off towards Kerman's mine. The trip took me the majority of the remaining day and I arrived at the property fence line at just before sundown. There I could see the large hill that is Kerman's mine. With the entrance being a boring stone entrance with some wood planks bordering the sides. I knew this was once the sight of a large bolstering 'Kold Rush', back when Kerbals from all over used to flock to get some kold, a metal which is easily malleable and is used in a lot of structures as it's capable of supporting large structures.

I consider hoping over the fence and peering it but I know I likely wouldn't be able to see much without proper lighting seeing as the mines has been abandoned for nearly a century. So as I climb back onto Moho, I see another Kerbal approaching. I turn to them and say "Strange to see someone this far from town and into the forgotten areas". That's when he tells me, "I actually live not to far from here and I heard you approaching so I decided to come check was going on, since we don't often get much traffic noise". "I actually just headed down here from my homestead since apparently... I just inherited this place". That's when I see his gaze shift from the mine back to me as he says  in surprise, "Really"? "Apparently so". Then after several minutes of silence he says "Well if your considering reviving the mining activity here, I wouldn't advise it". I turn to him in look in shock and ask "Why shouldn't I?". "Well for one the mines dry. Thieves drained it years after the owner shut it down..." His comment hung unfinished for several minutes before I answered back "and for another"? "Secondly, kold isn't the drive anymore".

"Then what is?" I ask. "Ore". "What kind?", "Oil saturated ore, school kids down south have finally found a use for the stuff to make power and flying machines apparently". "Flying machines? What kind of flying machines?". as far as I know of, there is nothing that can get off the ground for longer than a few seconds in the time it takes to fall so his statement surprised me. "Apparently machines that can ascend into the sky atop a flame, however from what I've heard they haven't gotten far". "Why not?", "They explode". That was the last comment between us before there was a long silence as I sat and thought on the events of the past few hours. Flying on a flame? Only thing I knew that was remotely similar was a crazy old man who attempted to fill a barrel full of explosive powder and tried to have it fly, but like these machines, it too exploded. Not to mention that I'm also rich. My life is made, but yet I have this guttural desire for more.

Finally, with the sun's light dimming as the last of the beams of light shine through the leaves of the surrounding trees, I ask "Ever heard of Drysands?". I turned to look back at him and I could see him thinking hard, "No... don't believe I have... I have heard there is a quarry south of us". "I've checked my maps and according to them, that isn't it". After that we didn't say much. Time went by and nothing but silence was said between us. When the last of the light left us, so did he as he must of headed home. Soon after I did too.

The following morning I again returned to the road, but this time into town in search for the local library. I figured that if there's written record of my 'Drysands' property, it'll have to be in a library. Granted the town library was in poor condition and hasn't gotten many new books and such in quite a well, but maybe still it will have a lead. When I arrive at the library, I see that it is indeed in poor condition as the building has several areas where the wooden structure is clearly falling apart and is experiencing rot. As I enter I see the librarian approach me, "How can I help you... Mr...?". HIs question annoyed me as I rarely liked to mention my name as it was the subject of ridicule from everyone who hears it. I tell him it's "Burger Kerman" and immediately he starts to chuckle and the sound of it makes me cringe in pain as it reminds me of many other times when people had done the exact same thing in the past.

I was not proud of my name. Having not known my parents long, I wouldn't have a clue they were thinking having named me this. There was no where I could go or anyplace I could hide to avoid the awful name my parents gave to me, however in time I learned to accept it and move on. The acceptance of it, did not ease the aggravation that came with the constant chuckling and laughter that followed.

So to break his constant chuckling I asked him, "So do you have any maps I could look through? I'm searching for a property that I can't seem to find". This thankfully breaks his humor which then led to him taking me to the map section of the library where he told me "We're a bit bare, however this is all we have. I hope it helps". I quickly poor through the maps around me, searching every detail and name listed on them however I never find anything by the name. I found a few locations by the name of "Dry Gulch" or "Drybeds". I waste hours pooring through what must've been nearly a hundred separate maps of locations near and far. I search so far into the depths of the maps that I even find parts of the world I never knew existed. Despite this, I find nothing.

So I return home, with nothing to return with. Questions raced through my mind. What should I do with the money? What should I do with the mine? Where is this "Drysands"? Where is the estate? Despite my best efforts my mind keeps returning to the question of what I should do with the money and soon I decide on a plan of action. I would take the money and open a business to drill for this new kold I've heard of. If thieves and kold rushers can take all the good out of my recently acquired mine, then I'll find my own wealth hidden in the ground. All I can do now, is wait for everything to arrive so I can begin.

But then I realized at the very end; I had struck it rich, and without having done anything. I felt satisfied but I knew that it wouldn't last. What I truly longed for, was the wealth that awaited me if this business turned the same profit Kerbals did in previous years.

"Episode 2: Ore Runs Deep" coming soon...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.