Squad chimp as playable character

so after announcing that a new type of spacesuit is to be added, I thought I would make the suggestion of the squad chimp as a playable character.

its something I've wanted since first picking up the game, just wasn't sure how feasible it would be to implement.

so what do you guys think, is this something you would like added?

50 minutes ago, JacobJHC said:

America launched a Gorilla or Ape or Chimpanzee (I can't remember) so why can't Kerbals do the same?

There was a thread about implementing animals, I think people disagreed. I'd personally feel bad for accidentally killing innocent dog or something. Same for SQUAD mascot. BUT, if it would be intelligent, then no problem.

Gah I am terrible.

OK......

Animal experimentation aside.....

Most of us don't purposefully kill our Kerbals. Most of us wouldn’t kill our chimps. Monkeys, cat or dogs.

But I see a half size furry Kerbal in a suit. Half the weight. Maximum experience 1 star....You need a probe core and a com link.

I see 3 or 4 of them going Biome hopping on the Mun with small rovers gathering soil samples.

Hum....The training center could have Bobo, Ham, Enos, Oliver and Cheeta available for hire....Cheap.

You could go and rescue one.....Can they EVA? Use Backpacks? Do you get to keep them?

News Flash: Kerbal stranded on Mun rescuing a Chimp.

I don't know that we need them.....Would be cute.....

ME

Introducing a non kerbal life form to the KSP universe has broad implications. For now there are only 2 species in the entire universe, Kerbals and the Kraken. A chimp, would imply that no, our courageous green astronauts are not alone, and everything they had previously thought to be true would be wrong. Where does this discovery put them in their place among the stars? 

either way 10/10 would be stoked to have a chimp. 

2 hours ago, Leafbaron said:

Introducing a non kerbal life form to the KSP universe has broad implications. For now there are only 2 species in the entire universe, Kerbals and the Kraken. A chimp, would imply that no, our courageous green astronauts are not alone, and everything they had previously thought to be true would be wrong. Where does this discovery put them in their place among the stars? 

hmmm... you know... with the way they walk Kerbals looks a lot like early humans, who evolved from chimps... so maybe it could be the other way around!? perhaps a crazy Kerbal scientist got his hand on DNA samples and changed them, and created chimps ingame!? This way, it would not destroy the idea that the little green guy were not alone, just add onto the idea that they are no longer alone!

10/10 would want chimps :D!

Edited by nascarlaser1
fixed spelling mistake to make my post make sense :D

44 minutes ago, razark said:

And grass, and trees, and cactus.

You forgot the Squids they put in Science Jr bays. And the birds chirping at the KSC.

On top of this, the part description of a certain small fuel tank seems to indicate it's alive :0.0:

My opinion on the matter from an older thread (about test-animals), replace "dogs" with "chimp" and it still works:

On 19/10/2016 at 2:14 PM, Gaarst said:

What I meant was that Kerbals are already intended to be experiment subjects or early-test pilots. Adding animals to make these tests wouldn't make any sense when most of the game's advertising is based on reckless and silly little creatures testing their own machines in situ.

Also, Kerbals are fake. Dogs are not, and for some reason killing dogs seem to upset a lot of people. Adding a fake animal would once again be redundant with the concept of Kerbals, and also, as stated above animals are not put in rockets by their free will so that would raise more ethical concerns.

7 hours ago, Hypercosmic said:

Hmm... There has been space ponies, so Squad Chimp is not impossible. I'd support this idea only as a mod, though.

On the other note, I am looking for anime characters in KSP!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeb

cmon man

3 hours ago, Leafbaron said:

Surely this illusion was shacky once the idea that Kerbals have different skils was made clear. I mean after that there might even be life outside of the space centre.

9 hours ago, Hypercosmic said:

On the other note, I am looking for anime characters in KSP!

No

1 hour ago, mattinoz said:

Surely this illusion was shacky once the idea that Kerbals have different skils was made clear. I mean after that there might even be life outside of the space centre.

Blasphemy

The Squad chimp as a playable character might make for some very interesting "What did you do in KSP today?" posts, whenever Squad do or propose something some don't like, or shelve an idea some have been begging to see in game. Might even make for some great challenges - send Squad into the sun with the only SRB's :) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.