An Idea For My First Tattoo

Tex

Because I do want to end up having more at one point, and because I think I'm obviously side-stitchingly hilarious, here's an idea for my first tattoo.

1EwzCnl.jpg?1

Any particular thoughts? Any of you inked-up forumgoers have any advice?

There's this thing you can do with a Sharpie pen, baby oil and talcum powder which makes anything you draw on yourself last for around a month. I forget how it's done now but I'm sure a quick google would tell you.

I had a pretty simple tattoo idea a while back so this ^ is what I did to test it. 3 weeks in, I hated it and all the questions people asked about it (it was a symbol from an unknown book so no-one recognised it). Dodged a bullet there.

I cant see the picture, but that is ok, because my point would be - if its a tattoo, get something that you *dont* need to ask people "Should I get this tattoo?"

Get what you want, by all means, but since its permanent, get the one *you* like having displayed, not the one you think everyone will like.

Is "hilarious" a good enough reason? Is it "several decades" hilarious?

If so, deffo go for it. If you ask people about it, it doesnt matter what it is, there will be someone who is like "meh" so why ask?

6 hours ago, p1t1o said:

I cant see the picture, but that is ok, because my point would be - if its a tattoo, get something that you *dont* need to ask people "Should I get this tattoo?"

Get what you want, by all means, but since its permanent, get the one *you* like having displayed, not the one you think everyone will like.

Is "hilarious" a good enough reason? Is it "several decades" hilarious?

If so, deffo go for it. If you ask people about it, it doesnt matter what it is, there will be someone who is like "meh" so why ask?

I do indeed think it would be a conversation starter for quite some time, but even still, having a ruler would enable actual approximate measurements, even if very slightly inaccurate. Of course it's no substitute for an actual ruler, but it might just come in handy for a thing or two.

2 hours ago, tater said:

I can see some jokes coming up about what you might be measuring... FWIW.

Oh, believe me, I've got some already.

50 minutes ago, Tex said:

I do indeed think it would be a conversation starter for quite some time, but even still, having a ruler would enable actual approximate measurements, even if very slightly inaccurate. Of course it's no substitute for an actual ruler, but it might just come in handy for a thing or two.

Oh, believe me, I've got some already.

Now I can actually see the picture and understand that other comment :)

I can appreciate the semi-practical nature for sure.

My favorite (jokey) tattoo suggestion is from my mate, who suggested getting a 1:1 scale portrait of his own face, tattood (tattooed? tattoo'd?) onto his face.

A slide rule. One side on the left arm, another - on the right.

Spoiler

550px-Slide_rule_example2_with_labels.sv

Also this can be a pair of connecting tattoos for wannabe illuminati  (Just with two logarithmic rulers instead of pictures)

Spoiler

1657606596-Couple_20Tattoo_20Quotes_20Tu

P.S.
After several weeks in gym or twenty years later the scale should be adjusted.

Edited by kerbiloid

I have three tats of my own that I got a few years ago and I don't regret them for a moment. But my only recommendation would be to place it just far enough up on your arm that it won't show if you wear a collared, cuffed shirt.

The slide rule is an awesome idea, and (in theory) useful.

Here's one of mine:

tat.png

It's as many different constants and values from physics as I could squeeze into a single graphic. The spiral is built on Euler's constant and matches the shape of the spiral arms of the Milky Way; viewing it from approximately a foot away matches what it would look like to view the Milky Way from one million lightyears away. The open circle at the center (where the Milky Way bar would be) is 8.87mm, the Schwarzschild radius of Earth.

The three straight lines together form the Greek letter lambda, and the thickness of the lines is 1.063mm, the (current) wavelength of the CMB. The vertical line marks pi and tau, and is tilted off the axis of the spiral by 1 part in 137, representing the fine structure constant. Finally, the three dots connected with curved lines represent the relative masses of six of the most important particles in physics. The smallest dot is the mass of the electron, the top dot is the mass of the up quark, the bottom dot is the mass of the down quark. The line connecting the two quarks is an arc which represents the mass of the proton; the line connecting the electron to the down quark represents the mass of the W boson, and the line connecting the electron to the up quark corresponds to the Higgs boson.

Finally, the position of the electron against the spiral matches the location of Sol in the Milky Way. The various lines combine to form a star of David.

4 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

P.S.
After several weeks in gym or twenty years later the scale should be adjusted.

Don't worry, that's why I added the little disclaimer notice. I know it's not gonna be acceptable in most circumstances, but for the joke factor and its basic usability I think for the most part it'll be fine the way it is. The slide rule is a funny idea too!

3 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

But my only recommendation would be to place it just far enough up on your arm that it won't show if you wear a collared, cuffed shirt.

Yup, that's a general rule I'd stick with. I don't plan on getting any sleeves or anything crazy like that. My chosen career paths are ones where it really won't matter all that much, and even if I do need to be formal it'll be much more appropriate a tattoo than something like a wristband or a devil face or something like that.

I agree with most people here: Get it far up enough that it doesn't show during a job interview, and make it something you won't be embarrassed about later. Try it out with a sharpie first. 

And the most important thing is "Are you ok with having this or horrible scarring on your arm for the rest of your life?"

Edited by Benjamin Kerman

On 07/04/2017 at 7:29 AM, Tex said:

Because I do want to end up having more at one point, and because I think I'm obviously side-stitchingly hilarious, here's an idea for my first tattoo.

1EwzCnl.jpg?1

That is weird. Even though I am not a fan of getting tattoos - as an art form and as a technique I do appreciate them -  this is the one idea I came up with that I would consider. Now, a few months later, some guy on an internet forums posts exactly that.

My snowflake is melting!

already 3 here too, a few month back i ll started seriously thinking of doing a fourth directly on my face with all this :

Spoiler

HtDANpy.jpg

just to express how i feel without the need to reexplain each time, this way i guess when chating with me people will think about it twice interpreting what i may say and answer to them... of course my face might be a way to restricted ans small area to insert them all ...

also local grammar and ortogrpah when you reached that point, doens't change much ... you just melt and mess thing up because ...

Edited by WinkAllKerb''
emoji ... emoji wut ?

2 hours ago, Camacha said:

That is weird. Even though I am not a fan of getting tattoos - as an art form and as a technique I do appreciate them -  this is the one idea I came up with that I would consider. Now, a few months later, some guy on an internet forums posts exactly that.

My snowflake is melting!

Muahahaha :cool:

12 minutes ago, Camacha said:

Judging by a quick Google search, neither of us would have been the first. We're the same decaying organic matter as everything else.

Yeah, I realize that people are hardly the first to do anything anymore, but I like this idea purely for its somewhat-utilitarian purpose as well as its conversation-starter ability. I like art, but I like art that functions even better.

Just now, Tex said:

Yeah, I realize that people are hardly the first to do anything anymore, but I like this idea purely for its somewhat-utilitarian purpose as well as its conversation-starter ability. I like art, but I like art that functions even better.

Yeah, that was my line of reasoning too. I hate how most tattoos are just kind of permanent stickers that are slapped randomly into a body. It is as ugly as random stickers on a car or anything else. By really integrating it into the body it becomes artful, but that generally takes huge and very permanent pieces. By giving it another purpose it becomes less random. Considering I use a rulers quite a bit, it seems a logical option.

However, even though I do appreciate them as an art form, I do not really see myself getting a tattoo. If only because I cannot think of anything that is not going to bore me after a couple of years.

Just now, Camacha said:

Yeah, that was my line of reasoning too. I hate how most tattoos are just kind of permanent stickers that are slapped randomly into a body. It is as ugly as random stickers on a car or anything else. By really integrating it into the body it becomes artful, but that generally takes huge and very permanent pieces. By giving it another purpose it becomes less random. Considering I use a rulers quite a bit, it seems a logical option.

However, even though I do appreciate them as an art form, I do not really see myself getting a tattoo. If only because I cannot think of anything that is not going to bore me after a couple of years.

Another functional idea is getting your medical information put on, such as blood type, organ donor status, any allergies or whatnot. Definitely won't be boring... as long as there's a life-threatening situation.

Just now, Tex said:

Another functional idea is getting your medical information put on, such as blood type, organ donor status, any allergies or whatnot. Definitely won't be boring... as long as there's a life-threatening situation.

A medic will always do his own tests to make sure, so having this information tattooed on you is kind of superfluous. Also, having detailed medical records exposed for everyone to see irks me for the same reason biometrics for security are an issue. It just does not seem to be good practice and creates vulnerabilities.

Besides, it is boring me already. That does not bode well.

3 hours ago, Tex said:

Or full body camoflage.

14 hours ago, Camacha said:

well as some study shown nowdays peoples does tatoo and piercing for many reason.

mine are pretty small one just few centimeter, one is related to a highway car accident with my brother driving when 18's (120km/h) or so he felt asleep while we just said we gonna stop and take a break at the next stop area along the highway ... . it's a tribal draw i made myself with a japanese "shi" in the middle

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.