[1.11] CommNet Constellation v1.5.7 [10 January 2021] - Beta 4 of CNC+CNM for KSP 1.12.2!

TaxiService

24 minutes ago, DStaal said:

There's a reason I said 'antenna' - this isn't on a per-ship basis, it's on a per-antenna basis.  If you want a Duna network, what you need is to set up a relay satellite with one antenna that's on the Duna network, and one that's on your Kerbin network.  (Or on your 'interplanetary backbone', if that's the way you're setting it up.)  Then all communication will relay through that satellite.

Ohhh I see. Actually that's pretty dang cool. I also kind of like the mod because it imposes some of the difficulty from remote tech (where each antenna can only target one thing) but not all of it. So you don't need 10 antennas but you do need like a long range one to connect back to kerbin along with some short range ones for the relay around Duna. I'm sold! Thanks for the explanation!

51 minutes ago, Crixomix said:

Ohhh I see. Actually that's pretty dang cool. I also kind of like the mod because it imposes some of the difficulty from remote tech (where each antenna can only target one thing) but not all of it. So you don't need 10 antennas but you do need like a long range one to connect back to kerbin along with some short range ones for the relay around Duna. I'm sold! Thanks for the explanation!

Yep. I was a RT user prior to this mod. I always felt that RT was too complicated for my play style, but stock was too easy. This mod fits my style precisely.

Edited by leatherneck6017
damn you auto correct

I'm having a lot of trouble with this mod. For whatever reason even if I have a vessel full of commlinks on various frequencies, and the DSN (and all other worldwide stations) are set to one or all of them, the vessel cannot connect to anything even while it's on the pad (space doesn't work either)

when i try to change the frequency on the pad (but not in the VAB) I get a "this cast is not valid" error, even though the number does switch. regardless of what frequency i'm on, I can't talk to anything, though.

help?

On 2/9/2020 at 6:31 AM, Cebasiz said:

I'm having a lot of trouble with this mod. For whatever reason even if I have a vessel full of commlinks on various frequencies, and the DSN (and all other worldwide stations) are set to one or all of them, the vessel cannot connect to anything even while it's on the pad (space doesn't work either)

when i try to change the frequency on the pad (but not in the VAB) I get a "this cast is not valid" error, even though the number does switch. regardless of what frequency i'm on, I can't talk to anything, though.

help?

Hi, please provide a screenshot of the frequency dialog with your number input on the pad.

In addition, please provide the output_log.txt at C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program.

CommNet Constellation 1.5.2 is out for KSP 1.9

• Recompiled for KSP 1.9
  • Added support for Near Future Exploration mod

Linky 

Spoiler

What's new?

• Added support for Near Future Exploration mod
  • Recompiled for Kerbal Space Program 1.9
  • Updated ModuleManager to 4.1.3

Requirements

• ModuleManager
  • Kerbal Space Program 1.9

Known issues

• Issue #2 - White connections caused by combinations of other mods
  • Issue #8 - Deteriorated performance on a large number of mods

Hi @TaxiService, I've encountered an issue with Commnet Constellation and a couple of the probes we have in BDB. We have 2 probes (such as the one in the pic below) that are single part probe core relays. The probe core has a built in RELAY antenna instead of an INTERNAL antenna. This works fine in stock but CNC does not recognize this properly and the parts end up with no command and wont work as relays either.

7NyOQIEl.png

Doing a little testing I found that if I added a second antenna module with type INTERNAL, CNC begins to work. In this situation CNC still treats the part like it has 1 antenna and it does work as a relay. However it uses the antenna power of whichever module is weakest.

Finally I changed the power of the INTERNAL antenna module to the same as the RELAY module eg 1M and now it works perfectly. CNC will treat it like a single 1M relay even though it actually has a 1M INTERNAL and 1M RELAY.

I know its kind of a weird use case but I thought you should know about the issue.  If you can identify a fix that would be nice but if not then we can just simply include a patch that will add internal relays to these parts via MM when CNC is installed. Thanks.

12 hours ago, The_Arcitect said:

Hello there,

I am using the CKAN version when all of a sudden the communication tab does nothing.

Here is photo proof.

Pplease provide the output_log.txt at C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program. This log contains internal information generated by CNC mod about ground stations.

5 hours ago, Zorg said:

Hi @TaxiService, I've encountered an issue with Commnet Constellation and a couple of the probes we have in BDB. We have 2 probes (such as the one in the pic below) that are single part probe core relays. The probe core has a built in RELAY antenna instead of an INTERNAL antenna. This works fine in stock but CNC does not recognize this properly and the parts end up with no command and wont work as relays either.

Doing a little testing I found that if I added a second antenna module with type INTERNAL, CNC begins to work. In this situation CNC still treats the part like it has 1 antenna and it does work as a relay. However it uses the antenna power of whichever module is weakest.

Finally I changed the power of the INTERNAL antenna module to the same as the RELAY module eg 1M and now it works perfectly. CNC will treat it like a single 1M relay even though it actually has a 1M INTERNAL and 1M RELAY.

I know its kind of a weird use case but I thought you should know about the issue.  If you can identify a fix that would be nice but if not then we can just simply include a patch that will add internal relays to these parts via MM when CNC is installed. Thanks.

Hi, I tested KSP 1.9 only with CNC 1.5.2 and BDB v1.6.2_hotfix_2, and observed that MOCA probe core has the CNC option of antenna setup in Editor.

rA7rqcx.png

I can see the probe doesn't connect right out of the box and need to debug this issue first.

o7GsptE.png

If it has an antenna part, it connects and uses the 20M antenna as the primary antenna, per expected behaviour.

4a4uKcO.png

It seems what I see on my side is different from your observations, besides the issue of probe core not connecting out of box.

Do you have any idea on which third-box mod is influencing your side?

9 minutes ago, TaxiService said:

Pplease provide the output_log.txt at C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program. This log contains internal information generated by CNC mod about ground stations.

Hi, I tested KSP 1.9 only with CNC 1.5.2 and BDB v1.6.2_hotfix_2, and observed that MOCA probe core has the CNC option of antenna setup in Editor.

I can see the probe doesn't connect right out of the box and need to debug this issue first.

If it has an antenna part, it connects and uses the 20M antenna as the primary antenna, per expected behaviour.

It seems what I see on my side is different from your observations, besides the issue of probe core not connecting out of box.

Do you have any idea on which third-box mod is influencing your side?

What you're seeing is the same as me. If I add an extra antenna it works fine. But without an antenna it does not connect despite the CNC settings beings there. But the probe is designed not to need an extra antenna since it has a relay built into it. Sorry if I wasnt more clear earlier.

Edit: Oh ok you get the CNC button in the VAB. Let me test again.

Edited by Zorg

@TaxiService I can confirm I am seeing exactly the same as you on a clean install in 1.9 . CNC button in VAB, but no command when launched.

For the time being I am using this patch to add an antenna to the probe and that makes it work without needing to add an extra antenna part. 

@PART[bluedog_IDCSP_Probe]:NEEDS[CommNetConstellation]:FOR[Bluedog_DB]
{
  MODULE
  {
    name = ModuleDataTransmitter
    antennaType = INTERNAL
    packetInterval = 0.6
    packetSize = 2
    packetResourceCost = 3.0
    requiredResource = ElectricCharge
    antennaPower = 5000000
    antennaCombinable = False
  }
}

So once this patch runs there is both a INTERNAL (DIRECT also works) and RELAY antenna inside the part and now it works.

However CNC only detects 1 antenna and it will take the power from the lower one if they are not equal. So in this case it will show 5M even though the RELAY module is 20M. If I set the value in the patch to 20M then everything is ok. I dont know if this extra bit of information is helpful but it is something i obersved while trying to fix.

glflcdOl.png

tTDJVxFl.png

In the final version of the patch I had the antennaPower of the INTERNAL module set equal to the RELAY module (20M) and then everything works ok with CNC showing 20M and it behaving like a 20M relay.

6 hours ago, TaxiService said:

please provide the output_log.txt at C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program. This log contains internal information generated by CNC mod about ground stations.

Here: https://www.scribd.com/document/447454450/output-log-txt

17 hours ago, The_Arcitect said:

Hi,

Thanks for uploading your output_log. I notice your log is truncated by the scribd site, leaving the beginning part only available.

However, based on this partial log and screenshot, it appears that you installed CNC 1.5.x on your KSP 1.7.3. The version 1.5.x is compiled against KSP 1.8.1 or 1.9, and contains 1 major change (Added new functionality of predetermined ground stations in cnc_settings.cfg).

Please rollback your CNC mod to version 1.4 (download from SpaceDock's Changelog tab)) which should work on KSP 1.7.3.

Hi @Zorg,

Thank you for your confirmation.

I will debug the CNC behaviour on the BDB patches and inform you on what I find.

8 hours ago, TaxiService said:

Hi,

Thanks for uploading your output_log. I notice your log is truncated by the scribd site, leaving the beginning part only available.

However, based on this partial log and screenshot, it appears that you installed CNC 1.5.x on your KSP 1.7.3. The version 1.5.x is compiled against KSP 1.8.1 or 1.9, and contains 1 major change (Added new functionality of predetermined ground stations in cnc_settings.cfg).

Please rollback your CNC mod to version 1.4 (download from SpaceDock's Changelog tab)) which should work on KSP 1.7.3.

Thanks got it working.

Edited by The_Arcitect
SignalDelay probably did it...

1 hour ago, eberkain said:

how do you setup ground stations?  Trying to see if I can make it match the JNSQ ground stations.

Hi,

The CNC mod targets the stock ground stations existing to apply its own changes (for example custom color) via GameData\CommNetConstellation\cnc_settings.cfg. To answer your question, I think you need to find a third-party mod that edits/adds ground stations (with their IDs) in the stock CommNet. If you can find it, then you only need to edit cnc_settings.cfg to target those stations to match the JNSQ stations.

3 hours ago, eberkain said:

how do you setup ground stations?  Trying to see if I can make it match the JNSQ ground stations.

1 hour ago, TaxiService said:

Hi,

The CNC mod targets the stock ground stations existing to apply its own changes (for example custom color) via GameData\CommNetConstellation\cnc_settings.cfg. To answer your question, I think you need to find a third-party mod that edits/adds ground stations (with their IDs) in the stock CommNet. If you can find it, then you only need to edit cnc_settings.cfg to target those stations to match the JNSQ stations.

I don't think there's a mod for that. You'd have to create a MM patch to add them to CNC settings.

Here's one I created when I was playing a Remote Tech install (circa KSP 1.6): https://www.dropbox.com/s/bd1b99qx5rr90yq/LN_RemoteTech_Settings.cfgDIS?dl=0 **you'll need to rename the extension, DIS was my way of disabling the patch**

If you target CommNetConstellationSettings with the patch, the rest should be somewhat self-explanatory.

I don't, however, know where the JNSQ ground station definitions are located.

Edited by leatherneck6017
clarification

7 hours ago, leatherneck6017 said:

I don't think there's a mod for that. You'd have to create a MM patch to add them to CNC settings.

Here's one I created when I was playing a Remote Tech install (circa KSP 1.6): https://www.dropbox.com/s/bd1b99qx5rr90yq/LN_RemoteTech_Settings.cfgDIS?dl=0 **you'll need to rename the extension, DIS was my way of disabling the patch**

If you target CommNetConstellationSettings with the patch, the rest should be somewhat self-explanatory.

I don't, however, know where the JNSQ ground station definitions are located.

I see these configs in JNSQ, but i am not sure if that is what I am looking for.  I am not great with MM either. 

// Generated by Kerbal Konstructs

STATIC:NEEDS[OSSNTR]
{
	pointername = tracking_station_complex
	Instances
	{
		UUID = 9211b2ec-7823-45d3-92be-b3af2487ca9b
		CelestialBody = Kerbin
		RelativePosition = -42.8411827,5.10000038,227.412231
		Orientation = 0,0,0
		isScanable = True
		ModelScale = 1
		VisibilityRange = 25000
		Group = ObservatoryNorth
		GrasColor = 1.15,1.1,1.05,1
		GrasTexture = BUILTIN:/terrain_grass00_new
		Facility
		{
			FacilityType = GroundStation
			TrackingShort = 1.6384E+11
			OpenCost = 2592000
			CloseValue = 622080
			FacilityName = GroundStation@ObservatoryNorth
			OpenCloseState = Closed
		}
	}
}

41 minutes ago, eberkain said:

I see these configs in JNSQ, but i am not sure if that is what I am looking for.  I am not great with MM either. 

// Generated by Kerbal Konstructs

STATIC:NEEDS[OSSNTR]
{
	pointername = tracking_station_complex
	Instances
	{
		UUID = 9211b2ec-7823-45d3-92be-b3af2487ca9b
		CelestialBody = Kerbin
		RelativePosition = -42.8411827,5.10000038,227.412231
		Orientation = 0,0,0
		isScanable = True
		ModelScale = 1
		VisibilityRange = 25000
		Group = ObservatoryNorth
		GrasColor = 1.15,1.1,1.05,1
		GrasTexture = BUILTIN:/terrain_grass00_new
		Facility
		{
			FacilityType = GroundStation
			TrackingShort = 1.6384E+11
			OpenCost = 2592000
			CloseValue = 622080
			FacilityName = GroundStation@ObservatoryNorth
			OpenCloseState = Closed
		}
	}
}

That's not it. If JNSQ adds its own ground stations, there would be some sort of config file that defines them (I think). Perhaps ask in the JNSQ thread.

Alas, the NFExploration compatibility only comes with KSP 1.9 and not 1.8.1, so looks like I'll be stuck with deleting all the NFEx antenna stuff until either Kopernicus and planet packs are 1.9 compatible.

I don't know what JNSQ does to the standard groundstations, but I can confirm they are present on the map even if the stock names don't apply (Crater Rim isn't anywhere near a crater, for example). They still work with CNC.

@Horus I doubt it. One alternative is to build a geosynchronous relay satellite parked directly above KSC, which due to its orbit will always stay right on top of the space centre and with some whopping great relay dishes on it should cover the entire solar system. Scatter a few more relays evenly spaced around the Sun (check the scenario for comm net that comes with KSP itself for some ideas) and you should be covered from just about anywhere.

If the stock antennas aren't enough, CommNet Antennas Extension mod provides some that plugs some gaps and adds some larger long-range antennas too, and should be more than adequate for the stock solar system and possibly for OPM too. For larger systems e.g. JNSQ or interstellar packs, Extended Antenna Progression should cover you with deployable relay dishes that are big, heavy and expensive but compensate with ranges up to 40 quadrillion km - that's close to 500 light years...

2 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Alas, the NFExploration compatibility only comes with KSP 1.9 and not 1.8.1, so looks like I'll be stuck with deleting all the NFEx antenna stuff until either Kopernicus and planet packs are 1.9 compatible.

Well, you could also implement a fix temporarily:

// Add the CNConstellationAntennaModule to all parts contained ModuleDataTransmitterFeedeable i.e. antennas, probe cores and manned cockpits
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitterFeedeable]]:NEEDS[CommNetConstellation,NearFutureExploration]:FINAL
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = CNConstellationAntennaModule
	}
}

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, can some one explain to me the following, I have a probe orbiting eve, [kerbin is at it's nearest to eve] 1 probe with a strong enough relay to reach kerbin and the internal antenna [35 Mm i think it is when the tracking station is fully upgraded] so i set the Relay Ant. to Frequency number 1[no connection to kerbin since it;s on 0 right?] and i leave the internal on 0 and i have 98-99% signal strength? so i go and flip the frequencies Relay 0 Internal to 1 same thing.... it;s only if i set both antennas to 1 that i do not have any connection, now does this mean that the internal antenna is working with the relay when in first configuration? R-1 Int-0 if so why is there a connection? Relay i set to 1 Krebin station to 0 there should be no connection now if flipped around R-0 and Int-1 still have a connection but it makes much more sense, because in the first config it seems the internal antenna is reaching to kerbin with 99% signal strength , just does not make any sense to me, so if some wizard here would conjure some explanations to this mystery my brain would be grateful

Edit: forgot to add, this is the one and only satellite [testing some stuff and stumbled upon this odd thing]

Edited by dtoxic

Hi @Zorg,

I think the relay issue you reported is the symptom of a larger CommNet issue of CNC. It does not require BDB mod as I am able to reproduce on KSP and CNC only if the antenna of a probe core is changed to RELAY.

This probe core has links to 6 ground stations despite no vessel control.

TstmQnY.png

As you can see, there is a duplicate comm node for every comm node, which may explain the control issue.

bhvXG5R.png

It is a miracle that players and I didn't encounter this issue for so long time until you reported the relay issue.

I am trying to fix the duplicate issue to see if it resolves the relay issue.

Hi @dtoxic,

Each antenna of a satellite can connect to destination (Kerbin in your case) separately. The working connection between the satellite and destination is the strongest antenna connection among the antenna connections.

See the table below.

Relay antenna frequency

Internal antenna frequency

Connection to Kerbin

0 0 Both relay and internal (Relay dominates due to larger power)
0 1 Relay
1 0 Internal
1 1 None

By the way, it may be possible that the relay antenna is third-party mod and not supported by CNC.

1 hour ago, TaxiService said:

Hi @dtoxic,

Each antenna of a satellite can connect to destination (Kerbin in your case) separately. The working connection between the satellite and destination is the strongest antenna connection among the antenna connections.

See the table below.

Relay antenna frequency

Internal antenna frequency

Connection to Kerbin

0 0 Both relay and internal (Relay dominates due to larger power)
0 1 Relay
1 0 Internal
1 1 None

By the way, it may be possible that the relay antenna is third-party mod and not supported by CNC.

Appreciate the explanation, i understand the concept of CNC but it's still strange to me that 35Mm can reach Kerbin from Eve, the distance ill have to check to see if i gave some left over patch that modifies antenna distances, strange...any way thx for the explanation

btw awesome mod keep up!

@TaxiService [KSP 1.8.1] So I ran into an odd thing today. I started using the mobile workshop from Ground Construction and couldn't get a signal from the Commnet. Upon returning to the space center scene, there were NRE's being spammed to the log indefinitely:

Spoiler

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at CommNet.CommNetwork.TryConnect (CommNet.CommNode a, CommNet.CommNode b, System.Double distance, System.Boolean aCanRelay, System.Boolean bCanRelay, System.Boolean bothRelay) [0x0013b] in <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0 
  at CommNet.CommNetwork.SetNodeConnection (CommNet.CommNode a, CommNet.CommNode b) [0x0025f] in <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0 
  at CommNet.Network.Net`4[_Net,_Data,_Link,_Path].UpdateNetwork () [0x00038] in <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0 
  at CommNet.Network.Net`4[_Net,_Data,_Link,_Path].Rebuild () [0x00032] in <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0 
  at CommNet.CommNetwork.Rebuild () [0x00007] in <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0 
  at CommNet.CommNetNetwork.Update () [0x000d7] in <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0 
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

(Filename: <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698> Line: 0)

I did a ton of troubleshooting on a clean 1.8.1 install and it turned out that the NRE's and lack of connection were being caused by the internal antenna of the mobile workshop being set in its config to type RELAY. Changing this to DIRECT clears up the NRE spam and gets the signal going to the vessel. Further testing showed that if I removed CNC and left the antenna type to Relay the signal worked just fine and there were no NRE's.

From the part config, the category is Pods and the vessel type is Rover. Is there some sort of conflict between CNC and a relay antenna on this category or vessel type?

Player.log in case it helps: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bdbcrhfz3f5zti6/Player.log?dl=0