[1.11] CommNet Constellation v1.5.7 [10 January 2021] - Beta 4 of CNC+CNM for KSP 1.12.2!

TaxiService

12 hours ago, Caerfinon said:

When I do mine, I only map the frequencies that define the relay mesh around a single celestial object. Then rest of the frequencies are unmapped, so I can see which celestial bodies have coverage but connections to individual ships are not shown. Much less cluttered. 

I'm a bit confused what you mean...I'm probably being dense; I'm still half asleep >_<.

10 minutes ago, Bizobinator said:

I'm a bit confused what you mean

I set up a Constellation for every Celestial Body where I need coms and I assign each one a specific frequency.

All my relay satellites carry two frequencies the public frequency 0 and the frequency of the moon or planet that they orbit. 

In the CommNet Control panel I do not map the public frequency, I only map the frequencies for the individual planets/moons

All other vessels I launch are only on the public frequency. So the only lines that ever show in map view are the connections between the relay satellites that are part of the constellations. This gives me an indication of the coverage at a particular location without all the connectivity lines from SOI to SOI.    

7 hours ago, Caerfinon said:

I set up a Constellation for every Celestial Body where I need coms and I assign each one a specific frequency.

All my relay satellites carry two frequencies the public frequency 0 and the frequency of the moon or planet that they orbit. 

In the CommNet Control panel I do not map the public frequency, I only map the frequencies for the individual planets/moons

All other vessels I launch are only on the public frequency. So the only lines that ever show in map view are the connections between the relay satellites that are part of the constellations. This gives me an indication of the coverage at a particular location without all the connectivity lines from SOI to SOI.    

Ah, I get it now.

Thank you for helping me :)

Hi!

I'm currently using the 1.5.7 version of the mod from CKAN with KSP 1.12.3 but I keep getting this error:

[EXC 23:00:35.902] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    CommNetConstellation.CommNetLayer.CNCCommNetHome.Update () (at <8ec62eff1dfc42afb960f68e49dadfbe>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

Wondering if anyone knows what this is about?

Thanks!

Edited by nikawiwi

• 1 month later...

hello, I have two bugs with this mod, the first results when using it together with the remotech, it turns out that if both are used at the same time the mod is not able to recognize the available antennas, on the other hand and for some reason that I cannot understand After opening the recognition station a couple of times, the buttons stop working.

I only have this mod, the remotech and modulemanager installed.

even though i'm pressing the exit button, it doesn't exit the track station... no other button works anyway

imageimage

Edited by Theesteban 667

On 12/27/2022 at 12:21 AM, Theesteban 667 said:

hello, I have two bugs with this mod, the first results when using it together with the remotech, it turns out that if both are used at the same time the mod is not able to recognize the available antennas, on the other hand and for some reason that I cannot understand After opening the recognition station a couple of times, the buttons stop working.

I only have this mod, the remotech and modulemanager installed.

even though i'm pressing the exit button, it doesn't exit the track station... no other button works anyway

Per the FAQ on the OP:

• Is this mod compatible with the RemoteTech mod?
    • No, they are not. RemoteTech disables KSP's CommNet and runs its own infrastructure but this mod depends on CommNet to operate.

Thank you, I had read it wrong, even so the bug with the buttons is not due to incompatibility with remotech, because even with this one uninstalled it continues to happen.

8 hours ago, panarchist said:

Per the FAQ on the OP:

• Is this mod compatible with the RemoteTech mod?
    • No, they are not. RemoteTech disables KSP's CommNet and runs its own infrastructure but this mod depends on CommNet to operate.

KSP 1.12.4 - just found that the CommNet Constellation mod (v1.5.7) spams NRE exceptions to log non-stop (confirm the issue from nikawiwi) :

[EXC 06:16:33.841] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	CommNetConstellation.CommNetLayer.CNCCommNetHome.Update () (at <8ec62eff1dfc42afb960f68e49dadfbe>:0)
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
[EXC 06:16:33.842] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 06:16:33.843] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Actually, tons of them in the log.
New game, sandbox, no any vessels. The problem occurs right from the game start.

Any ideas? A bug?

Thx.

Edited by ns88ns

it's weird but my probes aren't using the relays available in orbit. for example I have a probe bound for Jool that is at 1% signal strength and its connecting to KSC rather than the stronger relay network in orbit of Kerbin, I've tried setting all of them to public or even dedicating a frequency but nothing is working. is this a known issue or something new?

On 2/3/2022 at 9:07 AM, TaxiService said:

Hi, it was static charge accumlated in my "dying" graphic card and my PC is fine now after I de-charged it. I keep it at low-power setting to be sure it is really static charge, not actual dying

huh didn't know that could happen 

• 1 month later...

I can confirm this mod is broken in 1.12.5. Spams NREs and clicking the button hits the console with an NRE and makes nothing appear. if you are desperate you can change the frequency by going to every single antenna. Would not recommend.

Edited by StormxWolf

Must be a mod interaction then. That's what I get for doing a quick dirty test. I will see if I can pinpoint the interaction.

Update 1: works fine on a vanilla install. Definitely an interaction.

Update 2: figured it out: the CKAN version is out of date. It is using version 1.10, current is 1.11. Update manually (uninstall in CKAN, install from this download) and it works.

Edited by StormxWolf

Final edit, there is, in fact a mod incompatibility. I found when I had just TweakScale (the actual mod, the redistributable does not cause this) then I could no longer launch vehicles. here is my KSP log: https://gist.github.com/StormCircuit/4f8b9d521807e42df4b0d50b546618b1

Ok frankly I have no idea anymore, but I opened a github issue. It seems to be happening with a minimum install too, just Constellation + MM + comm manager.

Edited by StormxWolf

On 2/2/2023 at 1:46 AM, BlooSkies said:

Y'all have something else going on there. Mod is working flawlessly for me on 1.12.5, installed through CKAN.

Could you upload your mod list, if it's not an issue? I'd like to keep looking into this as I've not found a definitive reason for the bugs yet.

35 minutes ago, StormxWolf said:

Could you upload your mod list, if it's not an issue? I'd like to keep looking into this as I've not found a definitive reason for the bugs yet.

The full list is pretty extensive and probably not super helpful, but judging from your previous post, you're installing CommNet Manager, which the release version of Constellations is not compatible with. You'd need to use the beta. And that might be broken. Or CNM itself might be broken. No other mods ever implemented CNM as far as I know, so there's no benefit to installing it in the first place anyway. I'm just using release 1.5.7 from CKAN, no CNM.

On 2/9/2023 at 1:17 AM, StormxWolf said:

Final edit, there is, in fact a mod incompatibility. I found when I had just TweakScale (the actual mod, the redistributable does not cause this) then I could no longer launch vehicles. here is my KSP log: https://gist.github.com/StormCircuit/4f8b9d521807e42df4b0d50b546618b1

Hi!

Uh… This one is on me. :blush:

You have TS 2.4.6.22 installed where I made a pretty stupid mistake on a code that tries to workaround a kind of bad patching that It's manageable (someone shoving TweakScale twice on a part). The latest TS, 2.4.6.23, have this bug fixed.

(you still have a case of bad patching, but as I said, this one is manageable - as long I don't screw up something!)

Sorry for the trouble and cheers!

Edited by Lisias
kinda of tyops.

On 2/10/2023 at 1:44 AM, Lisias said:

Hi!

Uh… This one is on me. :blush:

You have TS 2.4.6.22 installed where I made a pretty stupid mistake on a code that tries to workaround a kind of bad patching that It's manageable (someone shoving TweakScale twice on a part). The latest TS, 2.4.6.23, have this bug fixed.

(you still have a case of bad patching, but as I said, this one is manageable - as long I don't screw up something!)

Sorry for the trouble and cheers!

Thanks! That clears up the tweakscale incompatibility.

On 2/9/2023 at 6:04 PM, BlooSkies said:

The full list is pretty extensive and probably not super helpful, but judging from your previous post, you're installing CommNet Manager, which the release version of Constellations is not compatible with. You'd need to use the beta. And that might be broken. Or CNM itself might be broken. No other mods ever implemented CNM as far as I know, so there's no benefit to installing it in the first place anyway. I'm just using release 1.5.7 from CKAN, no CNM.

This was the solution. Do not install Commnet manager. It is bundled with the mod but is not required and randomly breaks probe connections. After removing Commnet Manager the mod is working on all my saves and in my stock install. I was installing it manually within CKAN under the assumption it needed it but was not properly labeled. Do not do that lol.

Outside of both of these things I have also found installing the mod onto an existing save to be unpredictable. I can take my old save, does not open the UI when I click the button in the tracking station and otherwise does not work properly with vehicles. If I start a new save in the same instance, however, it works just fine. Very odd.

Edited by StormxWolf

I'm getting this in my Console, and am stuck with the constellation frequency menu open (cannot close it)

Log:

Spoiler

[EXC 18:03:04.909] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    CommNetConstellation.UI.AntennaSetupDialog.getConstellationName () (at <8ec62eff1dfc42afb960f68e49dadfbe>:0)
    DialogGUILabel.Update () (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
    DialogGUIBase.Update () (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
    DialogGUIBase.Update () (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
    DialogGUIScrollList.Update () (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
    MultiOptionDialog.Update () (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
    PopupDialog.SpawnPopupDialog (MultiOptionDialog dialog, System.Boolean persistAcrossScenes, UISkinDef skin, System.Boolean isModal, System.String titleExtra) (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
    PopupDialog.SpawnPopupDialog (UnityEngine.Vector2 anchorMin, UnityEngine.Vector2 anchorMax, MultiOptionDialog dialog, System.Boolean persistAcrossScenes, UISkinDef skin, System.Boolean isModal, System.String titleExtra) (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
    CommNetConstellation.UI.AbstractDialog.spawnDialog () (at <8ec62eff1dfc42afb960f68e49dadfbe>:0)
    CommNetConstellation.UI.AbstractDialog.launch (System.Object[] args) (at <8ec62eff1dfc42afb960f68e49dadfbe>:0)
    CommNetConstellation.UI.AbstractDialog.launch () (at <8ec62eff1dfc42afb960f68e49dadfbe>:0)
    CommNetConstellation.CommNetLayer.CNConstellationAntennaModule.KSPEventAntennaConfig () (at <8ec62eff1dfc42afb960f68e49dadfbe>:0)
    BaseEvent.Invoke () (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
    UIPartActionButton.OnClick () (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
    UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCall.Invoke () (at <12e76cd50cc64cf19e759e981cb725af>:0)
    UnityEngine.Events.UnityEvent.Invoke () (at <12e76cd50cc64cf19e759e981cb725af>:0)
    UnityEngine.UI.Button.Press () (at <0c883c16262a4198973f823d01e07427>:0)
    UnityEngine.UI.Button.OnPointerClick (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData) (at <0c883c16262a4198973f823d01e07427>:0)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute (UnityEngine.EventSystems.IPointerClickHandler handler, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData) (at <0c883c16262a4198973f823d01e07427>:0)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute[T] (UnityEngine.GameObject target, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData, UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents+EventFunction`1[T1] functor) (at <0c883c16262a4198973f823d01e07427>:0)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()

On 2/11/2023 at 6:57 AM, StormxWolf said:

This was the solution. Do not install Commnet manager. It is bundled with the mod but is not required and randomly breaks probe connections. After removing Commnet Manager the mod is working on all my saves and in my stock install. I was installing it manually within CKAN under the assumption it needed it but was not properly labeled.

This Solution is not possible if you run the trajectories mod as well.

Commnet manager is required to be able to use it without immediately encountering a bug that will soft lock you inside any of the buildings in the KSC, requiring a restart of the entire game.

Guess i'm going to have to uninstall this mod :/ shame...

Given it's not had an updated in like 2 years, I wonder if someone wants to take it over? (Like @linuxgurugamer for example?)

Edited by RB101

• 1 month later...

I noticed others had a similar issue that I'm having, although I don't know if the cause is the same.

ISSUE:

Running in a brand-new SANDBOX save file, if I launch a craft (even a super simple one with just a probe core) and revert to VAB/SPH, the game soft locks. None of the buttons work and I am unable to change scenes.

My log prints that a bunch of Scenarios are unable to be loaded.

If I remove this mod, the game works as intended. Additionally, I have a career mode where this issue does not occur (at least to my knowledge).

MY WORK AROUND:

My sandbox had the stock setting "Enable Comm Network" disabled. If I enable it, the game no longer soft locks.

52 minutes ago, Grimmas said:

If you are disabling commnet then it's not a big surprise that this mod breaks. But then why do you want to run this mod in a save where the commnet is disabled anyway? It would just be a waste of your CPU/RAM. 

I have a career save where I use it. I also have sandbox save that I use as a playground to try new things/designs/cheat onto planets. I didn't want to have to uninstall and reinstall the mod (it doesn't have its own save specific enable/disable that I'm aware of) whenever I wanted to swap between the two saves.

"it's not a big surprise that the mod breaks". I guess it's too much to ask for the mod to detect the setting was off and not put the game in an unplayable state (sarcasm)...

In all honesty, it's really easy to disable comm-net for a save and not realize that's the cause of the game locking up. I spent multiple hours uninstalling and reinstalling mods, changing configs, and manually inspecting my save file before I found it.

• 6 months later...
On 12/31/2022 at 12:22 AM, ns88ns said:

KSP 1.12.4 - just found that the CommNet Constellation mod (v1.5.7) spams NRE exceptions to log non-stop (confirm the issue from nikawiwi) :

[EXC 06:16:33.841] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 06:16:33.842] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 06:16:33.843] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Actually, tons of them in the log.
New game, sandbox, no any vessels. The problem occurs right from the game start.

Any ideas? A bug?

Thx.

Gonna bring this up as I'm seeing it in my save, any workaround people know of? Development on a Redux or Continued version to fix the error? Some patch people know of that'll fix it?

• 3 months later...

I made a build of this that is not dependent on the new library (that for some reason performs awful), but integrates this following commits from the newer codebase:

https://github.com/KSP-TaxiService/CommNetConstellation/commit/e6b5d772e5980a5fb0b2e3f59e5bd38ee73d2160

https://github.com/KSP-TaxiService/CommNetConstellation/commit/098e32903b14661a6e12b09d4b4ac2af3133a977

Between those two, it seemingly deals with the nullref, and unlike the new beta releases, performs excellent too (the new beta releases perform very poorly with a large number of vessels.  The source code can be considered the same base repo, built from commit 098e32903b14661a6e12b09d4b4ac2af3133a977 before the API dependency was a hard requirement.  GPLv3 license as always.

Find it on this issue, at the bottom as a link:

https://github.com/KSP-TaxiService/CommNetConstellation/issues/8

https://github.com/KSP-TaxiService/CommNetConstellation/issues/8#issuecomment-1913682110

On 10/8/2023 at 7:49 AM, Spartan Nat said:

Gonna bring this up as I'm seeing it in my save, any workaround people know of? Development on a Redux or Continued version to fix the error? Some patch people know of that'll fix it?

See above.

Edited by R-T-B