[1.11] CommNet Constellation v1.5.7 [10 January 2021] - Beta 4 of CNC+CNM for KSP 1.12.2!

TaxiService

18 hours ago, leatherneck6017 said:

@TaxiService [KSP 1.8.1] So I ran into an odd thing today. I started using the mobile workshop from Ground Construction and couldn't get a signal from the Commnet. Upon returning to the space center scene, there were NRE's being spammed to the log indefinitely:

Reveal hidden contents

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at CommNet.CommNetwork.TryConnect (CommNet.CommNode a, CommNet.CommNode b, System.Double distance, System.Boolean aCanRelay, System.Boolean bCanRelay, System.Boolean bothRelay) [0x0013b] in <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0 
  at CommNet.CommNetwork.SetNodeConnection (CommNet.CommNode a, CommNet.CommNode b) [0x0025f] in <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0 
  at CommNet.Network.Net`4[_Net,_Data,_Link,_Path].UpdateNetwork () [0x00038] in <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0 
  at CommNet.Network.Net`4[_Net,_Data,_Link,_Path].Rebuild () [0x00032] in <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0 
  at CommNet.CommNetwork.Rebuild () [0x00007] in <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0 
  at CommNet.CommNetNetwork.Update () [0x000d7] in <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0 
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

(Filename: <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698> Line: 0)

I did a ton of troubleshooting on a clean 1.8.1 install and it turned out that the NRE's and lack of connection were being caused by the internal antenna of the mobile workshop being set in its config to type RELAY. Changing this to DIRECT clears up the NRE spam and gets the signal going to the vessel. Further testing showed that if I removed CNC and left the antenna type to Relay the signal worked just fine and there were no NRE's.

From the part config, the category is Pods and the vessel type is Rover. Is there some sort of conflict between CNC and a relay antenna on this category or vessel type?

Player.log in case it helps: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bdbcrhfz3f5zti6/Player.log?dl=0

Hi,

Yes, the issue you faced is the exact same one Zorg reported and your NRE spam also origins from this issue.

According to my analysis, the problem is happening, regardless of the category and vessel type.

I am attempting to fix the underlying root cause in CNC's CommNet layer

9 minutes ago, TaxiService said:

Hi,

Yes, the issue you faced is the exact same one Zorg reported and your NRE spam also origins from this issue.

According to my analysis, the problem is happening, regardless of the category and vessel type.

I am attempting to fix the underlying root cause in CNC's CommNet layer

Got it. I did see his posts but for some reason didn't connect the dots to my case. Thanks working on a fix!

Edited by leatherneck6017

9 hours ago, EvilGenius97 said:

Hi there,
Out of curiosity, are there plans for a KSP 1.9.1 compatibility update? According to CKAN it is no longer compatible. If it already works with 1.9.1 or you've already answered this question, sorry.

Hi,

A new release for KSP 1.9.1 is not necessary for now since the current release is working well with KSP 1.9.1.

But there will be a next release for KSP 1.9.1, contained a major fix to the critical bug of relay antenna reported recently.

A quick question - Is this mod compatible with CommNetManager (and therefore with ELSD Jump Beacons Revived)?

(My testing would indicate no - but I run a *lot* of mods, and I'm not sure I didn't break things some other way.)

22 hours ago, DStaal said:

A quick question - Is this mod compatible with CommNetManager (and therefore with ELSD Jump Beacons Revived)?

(My testing would indicate no - but I run a *lot* of mods, and I'm not sure I didn't break things some other way.)

Hi, it is not compatible with CommNetManager currently.

There was some progress of integrating CNM with CNC in separate code branch but the main challenge is the correct understanding and application of CNM interactions between CNC and KSP CommNet.

Hope this clarifies.

4 minutes ago, TaxiService said:

Hi, it is not compatible with CommNetManager currently.

There was some progress of integrating CNM with CNC in separate code branch but the main challenge is the correct understanding and application of CNM interactions between CNC and KSP CommNet.

Hope this clarifies.

Thanks, that answers my question.

7 minutes ago, TaxiService said:

Hi @Zorg and @leatherneck6017,

I made a fix to the issue of probe core antenna being set to RELAY instead of INTERNAL.

Kindly assist to download the latest develop build and test whether the issue is correctly resolved on your side.

Thanks!

Removed my workaround patch, downloaded the dev build:

screenshot109.png

Looks like its working perfectly. Thank you!

Edited by Zorg

@TaxiService is there still no interest from you in being able to add/delete ground stations for CommNet?

Actually I don't need to add/delete. That would still be preferable but if I could just relocate them, I can place the amount I need where I want and "disable" the ones I don't yet need by putting them on another channel

Edited by Drew Kerman

CommNet Constellation 1.5.3 is out for KSP 1.9.1

• Added localization support with initial languages of en-us and zh-cn
  • Added toggling of vessels' orbit lines to colour based on vessel's strongest frequency
  • Fixed critical bug of stock CommNetVessel instances, polluting CNC network of nodes and links
  • Added preventative measure against null antenna range curve due probe core antenna being relay instead of internal

Linky 

Spoiler

What's new?

• Added new localization feature with initial languages of en-us and zh-cn
  • Full mod version to be displayed
  • Added new functionality of toggling vessels' orbit lines colorized to vessel's strongest frequency
  • Fixed bug of stock CommNetNetwork instance
  • Fixed critical bug of stock CommNetVessel instances, polluting CNC network of nodes and links
  • Added preventative measure against null antenna range curve due probe core antenna being relay instead of internal

Requirements

• ModuleManager
  • Kerbal Space Program 1.9.1

Known issues

• Issue #2 - White connections caused by combinations of other mods
  • Issue #8 - Deteriorated performance on a large number of mods

8 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

@TaxiService is there still no interest from you in being able to add/delete ground stations for CommNet?

Actually I don't need to add/delete. That would still be preferable but if I could just relocate them, I can place the amount I need where I want and "disable" the ones I don't yet need by putting them on another channel

Hi,

Parts of this feature were actually implemented in RT2 codebase few months ago. A player would start with non-KCS ground stations at stock locations with Level 0 (no power) to upgrade to Level 3.

I think it is good time now to enhance this feature with new 2 MM-patch functions of adding new ground stations and edit the locations, and port whole feature over to CNC.

@TaxiService This was thrown randomly but nothing was breaking (i did notice that some times when extending the antenna the "lines would not become visible, i had to go to antenna config and click on update then it was working)

Spoiler

Timing5 threw during LateUpdate: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at CommNetConstellation.CommNetLayer.CNCCommNetUI.getConstellationColor (CommNet.CommNode a, CommNet.CommNode b) [0x00005] in <a81caaa9d1b348108ea7d31955a83f3a>:0
  at CommNetConstellation.CommNetLayer.CNCCommNetUI.updateCustomisedView () [0x0066f] in <a81caaa9d1b348108ea7d31955a83f3a>:0
  at CommNetConstellation.CommNetLayer.CNCCommNetUI.UpdateDisplay () [0x0000e] in <a81caaa9d1b348108ea7d31955a83f3a>:0
  at (wrapper delegate-invoke) <Module>.invoke_void()
  at Timing5.LateUpdate () [0x00023] in <55ba45dc3a43403382024deac8dcd0be>:0

KSP 1.9.1 and the latest version of CNC 1.5.3

23 hours ago, leatherneck6017 said:

Is it backwards compatible to 1.8.1?

Yah, I tested and confirmed CNC 1.5.3 is compatible with KSP 1.8.1. The main difference between KSP 1.8.X and 1.9.X is cosmetic.

17 hours ago, dtoxic said:

@TaxiService This was thrown randomly but nothing was breaking (i did notice that some times when extending the antenna the "lines would not become visible, i had to go to antenna config and click on update then it was working)

Reveal hidden contents

Timing5 threw during LateUpdate: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at CommNetConstellation.CommNetLayer.CNCCommNetUI.getConstellationColor (CommNet.CommNode a, CommNet.CommNode b) [0x00005] in <a81caaa9d1b348108ea7d31955a83f3a>:0
  at CommNetConstellation.CommNetLayer.CNCCommNetUI.updateCustomisedView () [0x0066f] in <a81caaa9d1b348108ea7d31955a83f3a>:0
  at CommNetConstellation.CommNetLayer.CNCCommNetUI.UpdateDisplay () [0x0000e] in <a81caaa9d1b348108ea7d31955a83f3a>:0
  at (wrapper delegate-invoke) <Module>.invoke_void()
  at Timing5.LateUpdate () [0x00023] in <55ba45dc3a43403382024deac8dcd0be>:0

KSP 1.9.1 and the latest version of CNC 1.5.3

Please assist to provide output_log.txt for further investigation. This error generally happens on outdated antenna data, like you found out with force-update with the antenna config.

32 minutes ago, TaxiService said:

Yah, I tested and confirmed CNC 1.5.3 is compatible with KSP 1.8.1. The main difference between KSP 1.8.X and 1.9.X is cosmetic.

Please assist to provide output_log.txt for further investigation. This error generally happens on outdated antenna data, like you found out with force-update with the antenna config.

Sure thing, i accidentally deleted the logs, but next time it happens ill upload them

Found out that CommNet Constellation and CommNet Manager do not "like" each other. Manager breaks Constellation functionality. 
Link between spacecraft and ground station does not work.
CommNet Vessel List is empty, Strength signal Indicator shows None, Zero or Partial (depending on selected settings) Probe Control.
Removing Manager mod restore functionality.

@TaxiService just noticed that one can click trough the "Color Selector" window while dragging the tiny crosshair, you might want to fix that,not a big deal just an annoyance if you have the time,

also a feature request,consider adding the option so we can drag the color window,as of now it;s not movable, and a simple color palette with say 5-10 basic colors for easier color assignment.

3 minutes ago, guto8797 said:

I know precisely nothing about KSP modding other than installing mods, how tough would this be?

It's a Module Manager patch. Here's one I had created for Near Future Exploration antennae:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitterFeedeable]]:NEEDS[NEARFUTUREEXPLORATION]:FOR[ZZZZCOMMNETCONSTELLATION]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = CNConstellationAntennaModule
	}
}

1 minute ago, leatherneck6017 said:

It's a Module Manager patch. Here's one I had created for Near Future Exploration antennae:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitterFeedeable]]:NEEDS[NEARFUTUREEXPLORATION]:FOR[ZZZZCOMMNETCONSTELLATION]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = CNConstellationAntennaModule
	}
}

Thanks for the heads up, ill search around to see what i can/need to do

• 3 weeks later...

After a long time spent tolerating some really dreadful game performance in my heavily modded 1.8.1 game, I have found that CNC is a real performance drain and makes the game run considerably slower and with worse FPS, regularly dropping to 3-5FPS and running at 1/2 or even 1/3 speed for me.

I thought it was due to some combination of other mods I was using like EVE or scatterer, or JNSQ, but removing EVE/scatterer didn't fix the problem and a totally fresh save game in the same KSP instance ran quite happily at normal speed and 60FPS. I also saw a lot of inexplicable occasions where the game would suddenly speed up to near-normal speed and 20-odd FPS and couldn't work out why.

My career save has nearly a hundred vessels in flight and that's obviously having some effect, but when I removed CNC the average frame rate doubled and the only time the game runs slower than real speed is when flying really large vessels and/or in atmosphere. I do like this mod, but the performance penalty I get with it is just too high to keep using it. I haven't gone as far as trying to recreate this problem in a clean KSP install, but from my observations I have to conclude that this is the cause.