[1.11] CommNet Constellation v1.5.7 [10 January 2021] - Beta 4 of CNC+CNM for KSP 1.12.2!

TaxiService

Thinking about using this is a test career and wanted to ask a question on functionality to see it works as I'm understanding.

I was planning to use the Jx2 Antenna with a 1000G power and wanted to know if I could use this commnet constellation to isolate a satellite with this antenna so if didn't overpower all the inner system satellite network with it's huge range?

The idea would be to only have the Jx2 on it's own channel to communicate with deep space probes (on same channel) that need that kind of range to function in the Other Worlds planet pack system that is 7,265Gm out from Kerbol.

10 hours ago, wile1411 said:

Thinking about using this is a test career and wanted to ask a question on functionality to see it works as I'm understanding.

I was planning to use the Jx2 Antenna with a 1000G power and wanted to know if I could use this commnet constellation to isolate a satellite with this antenna so if didn't overpower all the inner system satellite network with it's huge range?

The idea would be to only have the Jx2 on it's own channel to communicate with deep space probes (on same channel) that need that kind of range to function in the Other Worlds planet pack system that is 7,265Gm out from Kerbol.

Yes, if you use this antenna (it is sweet!) in the stock CommNet, it would connect to everything within its range in the unappealing manner. In an example with this mod (incoming version 1.1), an end point in the Kerbin's SOL could be set up with two frequency channels (Jx2 channel and local channel). Any satellite in this SOL would only talk to the end point via the local channel while the end point talks with other end points somewhere in the solar system via Jx2 channel.

2 minutes ago, TaxiService said:

Yes, if you use this antenna (it is sweet!) in the stock CommNet, it would connect to everything within its range in the unappealing manner. In an example with this mod (incoming version 1.1), an end point in the Kerbin's SOL could be set up with two frequency channels (Jx2 channel and local channel). Any satellite in this SOL would only talk to the end point via the local channel while the end point talks with other end points somewhere in the solar system via Jx2 channel.

Thanks for that - I've downloaded and trying it out over the weekend. However, I'll be looking to use it backward to how you described. My plan was to have a relay network that reaches out to say... Sarnus and that's where I'd have the JX2 deployed there to act as the "gateway" for the deep space probe sats for the planet packs for "Other Worlds" and Valentine. Having said that, I only just installed the Extrasolar mod and man that star is faaaaar out in the orbit. Me thinks I should give up on com sats and probably best to concede defeat and plan on that only be a Kerbed mission. Just so I know when to look back at the mod page for an update, is there an rough eta for 1.1?

34 minutes ago, wile1411 said:

Thanks for that - I've downloaded and trying it out over the weekend. However, I'll be looking to use it backward to how you described. My plan was to have a relay network that reaches out to say... Sarnus and that's where I'd have the JX2 deployed there to act as the "gateway" for the deep space probe sats for the planet packs for "Other Worlds" and Valentine. Having said that, I only just installed the Extrasolar mod and man that star is faaaaar out in the orbit. Me thinks I should give up on com sats and probably best to concede defeat and plan on that only be a Kerbed mission. Just so I know when to look back at the mod page for an update, is there an rough eta for 1.1?

Planning to release 1.1 officially in this weekend, assumed no more showstopper bugs found in my test plays.

CommNet Constellation 1.1 is out! 

A huge revamp on the system of vessels and frequencies. A vessel now has multiple frequencies.

Linky

Spoiler

What's new?

• Switched from the previous idea of one frequency per vessel to the concept of a multi-frequency vessel with its antennas
    • Each antenna has one frequency and custom name
    • Vessel's frequency list is built from its antennas
    • Vessel displays its strongest frequency in the user interface for easy glance
    • Can deselect/select some antennas for the frequency list instead of the default list
    • Re-implement the previous idea of a single frequency per vessel with the membership-talk option
    • Preserve stock Comm power of antennas and power combination
    • Decide how vessel's frequency list should be updated (Auto-Build or Lock List) whenever there is the change in an antenna (eg frequency change)
    • Can configure antennas in SPH and VAB but the frequency list is not available due to CommNet not available in the editors
  • Tab support added to the control panel
  • New ability to edit ground stations (name, frequency list, color)
  • Input locks to stop unintended keypress-caused actions when typing in mod interfaces
  • Moved away from the LINQ library (memory intensive)
  • Great amount of UI interface changes

Requirements

• ModuleManager
  • Kerbal Space Program 1.3

Known issues

• Issue #2 - White connections caused by combinations of other mods

Edited by TaxiService

16 hours ago, Mipe said:

Sweet, I've been meaning to give this a shot and was waiting for the revamp release.

Any satellite network related contract packs that would synergize well with this?

You could try this contract pack for CommNet. I am not sure if it has the kind of network expected in RT.

Let me know if this works well. If not, I go and try replace few keywords of RT contract pack.

Awesome Mod @TaxiService! I've restarted Career and am already having fun with the various frequencies I can set stuff to. I'm looking forward to putting some decent work into the satellite networks that I would normally not worry about too much in past careers. I'm not sure if you're looking for other features for this mod at the moment, but I hope you don't mind a suggestion (and possible scope creep) Note: I'm not sure this idea is strictly a good "fit" for this mod - could easily by a mod on it's own.

Anywho... The idea is that now you have the Ground stations available in the frequency listing UI - could they be "unlockable" with some reasonable/configurable fund amount?

Specifically - Currently the ground stations start with no frequency set (was that intentional? Not an issue btw - it's what gave me this idea and is easily added in the UI) I picture the idea as a button under the Station UI tab to "Purchase/Install" the ground station. Once this is purchased, only then does the station become visible on the map view as the "dot" that you currently have showing. Only then would a player be able to see the button to assign a frequency only after it's unlocked.

That way you get a nice progressive mix between having only KSC and having all ground stations. It'd be nice to start out with only KSC and having to manage the whole control issue when out of sight from KSC and then in the later part of the game having an easier time of tracking/controlling stuff once all ground stations are unlocked.

Not sure about unlock fund amount, but I'd figure something on par with the existing building upgrades. Other idea would be maybe for some stations to cost more than others. Maybe the equatorial ground stations cost 25% more than the others that get used on polar orbits - reasoning could be the extra funds represent more Kerbals staffing the ground stations around the sunny equator and less funds for those at higher latitudes closer to the poles.

Edited by wile1411

14 hours ago, wile1411 said:

Awesome Mod @TaxiService! I've restarted Career and am already having fun with the various frequencies I can set stuff to. I'm looking forward to putting some decent work into the satellite networks that I would normally not worry about too much in past careers. I'm not sure if you're looking for other features for this mod at the moment, but I hope you don't mind a suggestion (and possible scope creep) Note: I'm not sure this idea is strictly a good "fit" for this mod - could easily by a mod on it's own.

Anywho... The idea is that now you have the Ground stations available in the frequency listing UI - could they be "unlockable" with some reasonable/configurable fund amount?

Specifically - Currently the ground stations start with no frequency set (was that intentional? Not an issue btw - it's what gave me this idea and is easily added in the UI) I picture the idea as a button under the Station UI tab to "Purchase/Install" the ground station. Once this is purchased, only then does the station become visible on the map view as the "dot" that you currently have showing. Only then would a player be able to see the button to assign a frequency only after it's unlocked.

That way you get a nice progressive mix between having only KSC and having all ground stations. It'd be nice to start out with only KSC and having to manage the whole control issue when out of sight from KSC and then in the later part of the game having an easier time of tracking/controlling stuff once all ground stations are unlocked.

Not sure about unlock fund amount, but I'd figure something on par with the existing building upgrades. Other idea would be maybe for some stations to cost more than others. Maybe the equatorial ground stations cost 25% more than the others that get used on polar orbits - reasoning could be the extra funds represent more Kerbals staffing the ground stations around the sunny equator and less funds for those at higher latitudes closer to the poles.

This is pretty good idea. RemoteTech has the feature request of this kind of play style (you could contribute your comment to this request) so this will be eventually get implemented in either RT or here. 

21 minutes ago, TaxiService said:

This is pretty good idea. RemoteTech has the feature request of this kind of play style (you could contribute your comment to this request) so this will be eventually get implemented in either RT or here. 

Oh Yes, that would be great.

i'am not using commnet because i love the flightcomputer of RT (the only way you can use longe range probes without connection)

53 minutes ago, TaxiService said:

No prob - I've added the comment to the Github issue log. Hope it helps in some manner.

Unfortunately I'm not much of a RT user, so I will just have to hope the unlockable stations might make it into this mod sometime in the future. :) 

For my own personal play style, I find RT a bit much, but still understand it brings a lot of interesting gameplay elements to those that play with it installed. I can only wish I had the patience like those people to launch that many Sats for each celestial body, and I won't even go into the fun people seem to have with signal delay ;) . I'm trying to scale back my game difficulty while still looking for interesting mods to keep it interesting. I've even uninstalled the Life Support mods I was using as I still get bogged down in the initial part of the game.

CommNet seems a bit more approachable at first pass, so I can only thank you for bringing this mod to life as well as for your work with RT.

Just curious - was it intentional that all station start with no frequency (including KSC)? I only found it out when my probe wouldn't launch and it took me a few minutes to work out why. Got there in the end though :) and it doubled nicely as a "mini tutorial" on the CommNet mod so I knew what I was doing after making that adjustment.

Edited by wile1411

One of the first thing you have to do with Remotetech - establish a Kerbin network of 3 or 4 sattelites, but when you done it there is no need in additional ground stations anymore. So what's the point in doing ground stations unlockable? If there are ground stations - you just use them, but if there are no additional ground stations - you just form a small network (wich is actually more fun than just buying upgrade, at least for the first few times) and you are good to go.

I'm glad the new version came out, thanks!

Unfortunately, I think I didn't get this version quite well: with previous versions (up to 1.0.2) I just organized my commnet. I only lost connection, due to this mod, if I used a different frequency and configured the probe to only talk to that constellation.

The instant I installed version 1.1 I lost connection to some probes orbiting Minmus... Since I'm still building Minmus relay network, I thought it was due to incomplete coverage, but if I remove this mod I get connection again...

What is that "Antennas" tab for? I think it should set the frequencies on different antennas remotely but I could not do it... When I try to access the antennas directly on flight, the right click menu doesn't show any Constellation option...

What I may be doing wrong?

EDIT:

I've read the changelog again. These are the points I find confusing right now:

• Can deselect/select some antennas for the frequency list instead of the default list (How does it work, can I set some antennas for a specific frequency and others for another one?)
  • Preserve stock Comm power of antennas and power combination (if stock comm power and power combination are preserved, why do my probes loose connection even when I set them to public broadcasting?)
Edited by jlcarneiro
Added more details

22 hours ago, wile1411 said:

Just curious - was it intentional that all station start with no frequency (including KSC)? I only found it out when my probe wouldn't launch and it took me a few minutes to work out why. Got there in the end though :) and it doubled nicely as a "mini tutorial" on the CommNet mod so I knew what I was doing after making that adjustment.

Actually, it was a minor bug, along with another bug of ignoring change to a ground station's name. It is not supposed to surprise a player with no working connection at the beginning.

18 hours ago, jlcarneiro said:

I'm glad the new version came out, thanks!

Unfortunately, I think I didn't get this version quite well: with previous versions (up to 1.0.2) I just organized my commnet. I only lost connection, due to this mod, if I used a different frequency and configured the probe to only talk to that constellation.

The instant I installed version 1.1 I lost connection to some probes orbiting Minmus... Since I'm still building Minmus relay network, I thought it was due to incomplete coverage, but if I remove this mod I get connection again...

What is that "Antennas" tab for? I think it should set the frequencies on different antennas remotely but I could not do it... When I try to access the antennas directly on flight, the right click menu doesn't show any Constellation option...

What I may be doing wrong?

EDIT:

I've read the changelog again. These are the points I find confusing right now:

• Can deselect/select some antennas for the frequency list instead of the default list (How does it work, can I set some antennas for a specific frequency and others for another one?)
  • Preserve stock Comm power of antennas and power combination (if stock comm power and power combination are preserved, why do my probes loose connection even when I set them to public broadcasting?)

By default, the frequency list of a vessel is built from all its antennas (excluded retracted antennas). This 'antennas' tab lets you to toggle off/on some antennas and in turn remove their frequency contributions from the list quickly. To set the frequency of an antenna, you have to right-click that antenna in the flight to open the frequency-antenna window.

Can I have your save folder (and mod list if you have other mods) to check your issue of some Minmus probes not connecting?

5 hours ago, TaxiService said:

Actually, it was a minor bug, along with another bug of ignoring change to a ground station's name. It is not supposed to surprise a player with no working connection at the beginning.

By default, the frequency list of a vessel is built from all its antennas (excluded retracted antennas). This 'antennas' tab lets you to toggle off/on some antennas and in turn remove their frequency contributions from the list quickly. To set the frequency of an antenna, you have to right-click that antenna in the flight to open the frequency-antenna window.

Can I have your save folder (and mod list if you have other mods) to check your issue of some Minmus probes not connecting?

Sure!

Hope this helps (and doesn't embarrass me)... :wink:

Sorry but, can someone explain what this mod does, I wanna know if it's too complex for my taste, I had enough of remotetech (It was fun, I just want something simpler now). How do the frequencies work and how do the constellations work, also does it actually give you a gps? 

19 hours ago, jlcarneiro said:

Sure!

Hope this helps (and doesn't embarrass me)... :wink:

Thanks. I installed as many mods as I can but I think I can't replicate your game environment fully. I got many CNC errors caused by some third-party mods like this.

ggpJ4ui.png

Can I see your output_log.txt, please?

5 hours ago, TaxiService said:

Thanks. I installed as many mods as I can but I think I can't replicate your game environment fully. I got many CNC errors caused by some third-party mods like this.

ggpJ4ui.png

Can I see your output_log.txt, please?

I'm pretty sure some mods (probably part ones) don't use KSP-AVC, so maybe there are some missing.

I'll try to send it to you as soon as possible. Thanks for your attention!

EDIT:

Here it is, @TaxiServicehttp://www.filedropper.com/logs_28

Edited by jlcarneiro
Added log files

On 8/16/2017 at 10:28 PM, jlcarneiro said:

I'm pretty sure some mods (probably part ones) don't use KSP-AVC, so maybe there are some missing.

I'll try to send it to you as soon as possible. Thanks for your attention!

EDIT:

Here it is, @TaxiServicehttp://www.filedropper.com/logs_28

Thanks for the log. There was a CNC v1.1 bug with the ground stations' frequency lists, in which the lists were initially empty. In this log extraction, these lists are missing. If you hover your cursor over a red mark in Tracking Station or Map View, you will see "no frequency assigned" text. This may be why there are no connections to Minmus satellites.

Spoiler

[LOG 17:00:50.853] CommNet Constellation -> verbose: Scenario content to be saved:
SCENARIO
{
    scene = 7, 8, 6
    name = CNCCommNetScenario
    Constellations
    {
        Constellation
        {
            color = 0.649999976,0.649999976,0.649999976,1
            name = Public Broadcasting
            frequency = 0
        }
        Constellation
        {
            color = 0.137254909,0.0196078438,0.972549021,1
            name = Mun Network
            frequency = 1
        }
        Constellation
        {
            color = 0.0823529437,0.905882359,0.647058845,1
            name = Minmus Network
            frequency = 2
        }
    }
    GroundStations
    {
        GroundStation
        {
            OptionalName = 
            Color = 1,0,0,1
            ID = Kerbin: Baikerbanur
        }
        GroundStation
        {
            OptionalName = 
            Color = 1,0,0,1
            ID = Kerbin: Crater Rim
        }
        GroundStation
        {
            OptionalName = 
            Color = 1,0,0,1
            ID = Kerbin: Harvester Massif
        }
        GroundStation
        {
            OptionalName = 
            Color = 1,0,0,1
            ID = Kerbin: KSC
        }
        GroundStation
        {
            OptionalName = 
            Color = 1,0,0,1
            ID = Kerbin: Mesa South
        }
        GroundStation
        {
            OptionalName = 
            Color = 1,0,0,1
            ID = Kerbin: North Station One
        }
        GroundStation
        {
            OptionalName = 
            Color = 1,0,0,1
            ID = Kerbin: Nye Island
        }
    }
}

The workaround for you is to re-add the frequencies 0, 1, 2 to some of the ground stations. I already pushed a fix to my codebase and plan to release in the weekend, should there be no further other bugs reported. 

Edited by TaxiService

Musing over the idea still...  I came up with another method for unlocking ground stations if it were implemented.  (not necessarily specifically to this mod though)

Rather than linking the unlocking of ground stations with boring old Kerbuck funds (ie you just buy a new station and then it's done),  the suggestion is a combination of DSN levels and returned surface samples. (bare with me here...)

So the idea is that Kerbals can only improve their CommNet only so far with technology alone. They need exotic materials not local to the Kerbin system to fabricate the higher powered comms devices. This would come from Surface Samples. Once the Kerbals have maxed out the initial 3 upgrades to the Tracking centre, the option to add ground stations via the ground stations tab would be available once a celestial body (other than Kerbin, Mun or Minmus) has at least 60% of max returned Surface Samples. This would represent the necessary resources needed to be commit to constructing the new ground station and promote interplanetary missions. 

Might be a bit too kooky now I'm rereading all that. Eh. *shrug*

On 8/16/2017 at 5:44 AM, The-Doctor said:

Sorry but, can someone explain what this mod does, I wanna know if it's too complex for my taste, I had enough of remotetech (It was fun, I just want something simpler now). How do the frequencies work and how do the constellations work, also does it actually give you a gps? 

Hi, this mod lets you to put some connection restrictions on a vessel, compared to the stock CommNet's concept of every vessel broadcasting indiscriminately. As you can tell, this stock network can get disorganized quickly as the global list of vessel grows. Here, you assign one or more distinct radio channels (frequencies) to a vessel through its antennas. A vessel will only communicate to another vessel through the same channel, like a 1000Mhz channel in the real world.

A constellation is the closed network of vessels, included ground stations, communicating through a common channel. For example, satellites in each colored constellation talk to their members only.

ABDBNKo.jpg

Lastly, it is not a positioning system. It is an enhanced CommNet network with labels and colors.

-------

CommNet Constellation 1.1.1 is out! 

Fixed a couple of issues on ground stations

Linky

Spoiler

What's new?

• Fix the issue of ground station's new name being ignored
  • Fix the issue of ground station's initial empty frequency list

Requirements

• ModuleManager
  • Kerbal Space Program 1.3

Known issues