[1.11] CommNet Constellation v1.5.7 [10 January 2021] - Beta 4 of CNC+CNM for KSP 1.12.2!

TaxiService

@Mark Kerbin  I spent some time fixating on spectrum management when this came out,   Instead of using decimals, I offer you my frequency management routine:

channels 0-9 are reserved for special use

each channel in the double digit category is a planetary net - the first number is the planet, the second is a sub-body or discrete network.  Three-digit networks drill it down still further, giving you discrete networks on sub-bodies.

For example, for me, 0 is public, 1 is DSN. 10 is Moho General, 20 is Eve general, 30 is Kerbin General.  Drilling down in Kerbin, 30 is used system-wide, 31 is used for Kerbin specific, 32 is used for Mun, 33 is used for Minmus.  39 is reserved for special missions.  If I wanted, I could drill down further and make 321 Mun orbital, 322 Mun Surface, etc.

There you go - frequency spectrum management without having to re-code your mod.  Enjoy!

4 hours ago, TaxiService said:

My modder approach on the scroll component from KSP's new UI system is obnoxious when it comes to refreshing the scroll area. I am still learning how to use the scrolling properly.

For this decimal place, um it is little too late to change now :-/ The underlying software number for this frequency is integer. So all numbers in thee whole mod would have to be changed completely and it won't be even compatible with existing save.

If you feel brave, you can try fork the codebase, replace the numbers and compile. It should work fine on fresh save.

Ok. :( I don't feel like me attempting to change all that is a great idea. Oh well. 

Best o luck with the scrolling. Not sure how to fix it myself, but the bug seems to have stop now that I have relaunched, must have been a one time thing.

Had another (hopefully more easy/ minor) suggestion; Can you make a way to "hide" the commnet ground relays markers? No offense but they are a little obtrusive, especially with a kraken ton of visual  mods. =/

[Edit] After having a look at the settings to make sure I didn't miss a button, I noticed that they also show through the UI. 

54 minutes ago, MaxPeck said:

@Mark Kerbin  I spent some time fixating on spectrum management when this came out,   Instead of using decimals, I offer you my frequency management routine:

each channel in the double digit category is a planetary net - the first number is the planet, the second is a sub-body or discrete network.  Three-digit networks drill it down still further, giving you discrete networks on sub-bodies.

For example, for me, 0 is public, 1 is DSN. 10 is Moho General, 20 is Eve general, 30 is Kerbin General.  Drilling down in Kerbin, 30 is used system-wide, 31 is used for Kerbin specific, 32 is used for Mun, 33 is used for Minmus.  39 is reserved for special missions.  If I wanted, I could drill down further and make 321 Mun orbital, 322 Mun Surface, etc.

There you go - frequency spectrum management without having to re-code your mod.  Enjoy!

I've got a similar system going now that I spent some more time refining it. Thanks tho!

Edited by Mark Kerbin

1 hour ago, MaxPeck said:

Nice. As long as we're able to use free-form integers (and not simply incremented as we go) then it'll still be a perfectly usable system :)

4 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

I wonder if the scrollbar will be affected by the 1.4.3 fix with the difficulty/settings panel? 

Wait, they're fixing it?

My excitement cannot be contained.

Edited by theonegalen

18 hours ago, Mark Kerbin said:

Ok. :( I don't feel like me attempting to change all that is a great idea. Oh well. 

Best o luck with the scrolling. Not sure how to fix it myself, but the bug seems to have stop now that I have relaunched, must have been a one time thing.

Had another (hopefully more easy/ minor) suggestion; Can you make a way to "hide" the commnet ground relays markers? No offense but they are a little obtrusive, especially with a kraken ton of visual  mods. =/

[Edit] After having a look at the settings to make sure I didn't miss a button, I noticed that they also show through the UI. 

Sorry, I can't help you with this.

How often would you like to toggle on/off the markers over time? I am thinking of linking the markers to the contract-icon map filter as the other mods do with their own markers. 

I honestly don't really think they are needed, so I think there needs to be a button in the settings. Perhaps it should show up when you are changing the settings for the station. If you can figure it out maybe link it to the bases button at the top of the map and tracking station.

Also is it possible to make the marker something that looks more like a relay station and not a big red dot? =P

17 hours ago, Mark Kerbin said:

I honestly don't really think they are needed, so I think there needs to be a button in the settings. Perhaps it should show up when you are changing the settings for the station. If you can figure it out maybe link it to the bases button at the top of the map and tracking station.

Also is it possible to make the marker something that looks more like a relay station and not a big red dot? =P

M7RPl4F.png

Nice, eh?

14 hours ago, maja said:

Very nice. Tied to the stock filter buttons?

None of stock filter buttons is not really fit to the purpose of hiding comm dishes (maybe relay button but not as same as ground stations?)

9 hours ago, Mark Kerbin said:

I quite approve of the change.Pushed it out preettty quick tho, did you have it in the works beforehand, or are you just that awesome? 

Thanks, it is trivial changes (redraw texture picture and put few codes lines) to make this.

P.S. can grab latest dev build from this link now. It is not going to be out any soon,

Edited by TaxiService

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I was really excited when I saw this mod, I do like to have things organised.

I installed, and sure enough, my network looked ridiculous on the defaults... whilst trying to clear it up I got into difficulties, so I tried to do some testing to get my head around the mechanics. 
(I used RT back in the day, so figured this would be fairly simple).

However.....

I created a new game, and launched (HyperEdited) 2 identical simple probes up.  A single HG-5 antenna on each, sticking to Public frequency.   The vessels are orbiting at 80k and 4,000k altitude.

If someone could please explain (I'm sure I'm being dumb here), the higher probe has 100% signal when it has direct connection, but the moment it relays through the probe it drops to 2%... which is technically closer than the ground station was when it lost signal.

https://ibb.co/d2u8WJ

Once I crack this, I should be able to start clearing up my game.

Thanks all.

Hi Guys,

I was really excited when I saw this mod, I do like to have things organised.

I installed, and sure enough, my network looked ridiculous on the defaults... whilst trying to clear it up I got into difficulties, so I tried to do some testing to get my head around the mechanics. (I used RT back in the day, so figured this would be fairly simple).

However.....

I created a new game, and launched (HyperEdited) 2 identical simple probes up.  A single HG-5 antenna on each, sticking to Public frequency.   The vessels are orbiting at 80k and 4,000k altitude.

If someone could please explain (I'm sure I'm being dumb here), the higher probe has 100% signal when it has direct connection, but the moment it relays through the probe it drops to 2%... which is technically closer than the ground station was when it lost signal.

https://imgur.com/q34tqiI

Once I crack this, I should be able to start clearing up my game.

Thanks all.

Edit: updated screenshot link as it stopped working

Edited by EndureChaos

1 hour ago, Mark Kerbin said:

@EndureChaos That may have something to do with the Hg-5 being ment for short range connecting to a more powerful relay. Ie. Land base with large dish antenna, and tiny rover with hg-5. 

Or it’s a bug and I’m wrong. Possibly both. Its midnight.

Yeah, I shouldn't have tried to figure it out at 3am. 
A simple test confirmed I'm getting the same results on stock comms.

I'm still confused as to the drop, but it's not the mod.  I'm just surprised I haven't noticed this before.

Switching to the DTS-M1 brings it up to 100% on the first hop... but it does have 20x the range.. so...
I checked whether it's a Direct vs Relay thing, but the RA-2 has the same result.

Who knows, but I guess it's a topic for a different thread.

• 3 weeks later...

CommNet Constellation 1.2.1 is out! 

• Recompiled for KSP 1.4.3
  • Pretty ground station marker
  • Hide or show all ground station markers

Linky 

Spoiler

What's new?

• Recompiled for KSP 1.4.3
  • Beautified the ground station marker
  • Added a new button to hide/show all ground station markers (found in Ground Station tab of Control Panel)

Requirements

• ModuleManager
  • Kerbal Space Program 1.4

Known issues

• Issue #2 - White connections caused by combinations of other mods
  • Issue #8 - Deteriorated performance on a large number of mods

I like the new ground station markers. :rep:

Edit: disregard the rest of this post.  I appear to have jumped the gun.  After returning to the tracking station and finding everything working fine there I switched back to my vessel and everything was working fine in the map screen again.  I'm going to call it a fluke for now but I'll watch to see if it happen again.

I'm not a good test case as I run a ton of mods but I think the "All active connections" mode in the map screen isn't working for me now.  It seems to remain on the mode that was previously selected.  If I am left clicking though the options it keeps displaying all network connections (the previous mode) and when I'm right-clicking through the options (backwards) it stays on none (the previous mode from that direction.)

Is anyone else seeing that?

I always suspect a bad mod interaction first so I'm just wondering if anyone else has the issue ... especially before I ask someone to look through my hideous logs.

Edited by CaribeanSoul

• 1 month later...

I have an enhancement request.  Not sure how difficult it would be, but I think it would be nice to have a tick box on the constellation list to enable/disable connection lines for that constellation.

As an example use case: I have a bunch of satellites in orbit as a result of CleverSat contracts.  I have them on a separate frequency from other probes and relays.  They need to stay connected as I get contracts to move them and whatnot but I could care less about their connection status most of the time and it is just cluttering up my map.  The ability to shut down connection lines for that network when I'm not placing or moving one of those sats would be really nice.

Hokay, so... Maybe one of you guys have dealt with this issue: all of my satellites are showing a 5k Combined Comm power, no matter what kind of antenna they have on them, and my max range for the CommNet is definitely calculating at a measly 5K.... If I remove the Constellation mod? The problem goes away and ranges all calculate correctly. Anyone know what's going on?

EDIT: Alright, I think I've figured out the issue. I'm using a couple of cores from the popular Blue Dog Design Bureau mod. These cores have the standard 5K antenna that everything control part has, but they also have built-in deployable antennae as well. The problem appears to be that Constellation doesn't recognize the deployable antennas, only the 5K one, so, seeing as Constellation overrides the normal antenna behavior, the built-in antennae are simply not functioning. Removing the mod returns everything to it's normal, expected function. Any chance we could add this to the list of things to patch, if that's a feasible fix?

Edited by Kardea

On 4/18/2018 at 1:48 PM, MaxPeck said:

my frequency management routine:

Drilling down in Kerbin, 30 is used system-wide, 31 is used for Kerbin specific, 32 is used for Mun, 33 is used for Minmus.  39 is reserved for special missions.  If I wanted, I could drill down further and make 321 Mun orbital, 322 Mun Surface, etc

Thanks for posting this, it really helped clarify in my head how this could work in my own latest playthrough.

I'm wondering if you (and anyone else) could help me understand some use cases for having it drilled down to "321 Mun orbital, 322 Mun Surface". Are there functional uses having ground-based vehicles on one frequency and orbital on another? At some level, is it just differentiating the colors and lines in Map View?

Using your example, having Mun ground-based craft on 322 and orbital craft on 321, does that mean they can't communicate with each other? (still getting my brain about the functionality beyond just organizing the connections)

Also, more generally, do specific craft have to be connected to a main frequency as well as sub-frequencies in order to have signal control? or this isn't directly related to signal control from CommNet?

Edited by scottadges

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!! -

Say, I have read the description, I have read some posts [there are a lot btw]  and I think this is going to work for something that I am doing and was just curious if there might be any issues.

I have a KSP Space Race thing going on between myself and another ksp streamer.

GamersCircle Space Agency vs CommanderQ 

From what I gather, we can have our own rely and direct communication networks?

This will work in a pre-existing save?

Well, I installed and I think.. this is what I am looking for to keep the two agencies separate!  yes!

The " StockRemoteTechAntennas " folder, is this needed or just for RemoteTech?

Edited by gamerscircle

16 hours ago, gamerscircle said:

Hi all!! -

Say, I have read the description, I have read some posts [there are a lot btw]  and I think this is going to work for something that I am doing and was just curious if there might be any issues.

I have a KSP Space Race thing going on between myself and another ksp streamer.

GamersCircle Space Agency vs CommanderQ 

From what I gather, we can have our own rely and direct communication networks?

This will work in a pre-existing save?

Well, I installed and I think.. this is what I am looking for to keep the two agencies separate!  yes!

The " StockRemoteTechAntennas " folder, is this needed or just for RemoteTech?

Yes if your pre-existing save is using stock CommNet. It will come up with a default constellation as a starting point.

The "StockRemoteTechAntennas" folder is optional to CNC though it is going to be replaced with the CKAN dependency to stockised RT antennas.

9 hours ago, TaxiService said:

Yes if your pre-existing save is using stock CommNet. It will come up with a default constellation as a starting point.

The "StockRemoteTechAntennas" folder is optional to CNC though it is going to be replaced with the CKAN dependency to stockised RT antennas.

Thank you very much for the reply , I am sharing the save file with another KSP streamer.  Do I send my CommNetConstellation folder to them or is there another control file with the changes that I have made?

Edited by gamerscircle

3 hours ago, gamerscircle said:

Thank you very much for the reply , I am sharing the save file with another KSP streamer.  Do I send my CommNetConstellation folder to them or is there another control file with the changes that I have made?

All the changes you made are stored in your player save, unlike separate RT save and settings files in your save and GameData/RemoteTech.

He/She just needs to download CNC and take your save and it is good to go.

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to say thanks again for this mod.  Being able to have a PBEM [Play by Email ] KSP is a lot of fun, the struggles of communication in early to mid career.    

Now, I know that I can go to any active craft and change the channel, but can a Kerbal?  I mean, you know.. can a Kerbal rendezvous with something and eva to it and change the channel?

6 hours ago, gamerscircle said:

I wanted to say thanks again for this mod.  Being able to have a PBEM [Play by Email ] KSP is a lot of fun, the struggles of communication in early to mid career.    

Now, I know that I can go to any active craft and change the channel, but can a Kerbal?  I mean, you know.. can a Kerbal rendezvous with something and eva to it and change the channel?

Yes, you can right-click command pad/probe core/antenna to access the interfaces.

3NfAABZ.png