[1.11] CommNet Constellation v1.5.7 [10 January 2021] - Beta 4 of CNC+CNM for KSP 1.12.2!

TaxiService

post merged into previous one. the forum used to do that automatically, which annoyed me sometimes. now it doesn't anymore. also, posts with just a sentence in [] apparently don't show up correctly. :)

Edited by HansAcker

15 hours ago, HansAcker said:

I usually only populate and upgrade the stations at KSC, Crater Rim and Harvester Massif, with Nye Island and North Station One as possible minor backup sites later in the game, if I have funds to splash.

Wait what?

I'm currently playing with just KSC as the ground station as it feels a bit cheaty to have them all, I didn't know that choosing specific groundstations was an option?

12 minutes ago, Kielm said:

I didn't know that choosing specific groundstations was an option?

It's a new-ish feature of CommNet Constellation (since v1.5.4). When you enable the additional groundstations, you still start out with just the KSC and need to spend funds to build/upgrade the others. As a bonus, you can now build a groundstation on the far side of the Mun or even define custom stations in the .cfg:

Spoiler

GroundStation
        {
            ID = Zvezda Base
            Color = 1,0,0,1
            OptionalName =
            TechLevel = 0
            OverrideLatLongAlt = True
            CustomLatitude = -10
            CustomLongitude = -140
            CustomAltitude = 10
            CustomCelestialBody = Mun
            Frequencies
            {
            }
        }

Quick question ... would it be possible to add a second data transmitter module to a part (with a MM patch) and have a single antenna support two frequencies?   

EDIT: Ok, I see that CNC adds it's own module so adding an additional ModuleDataTransmitter wouldn't work.  Would CNC understand an additional CNConstellationAntennaModule on a part?

Edited by CalicoJackRackam

On 2/3/2021 at 2:40 PM, CalicoJackRackam said:

Quick question ... would it be possible to add a second data transmitter module to a part (with a MM patch) and have a single antenna support two frequencies?   

EDIT: Ok, I see that CNC adds it's own module so adding an additional ModuleDataTransmitter wouldn't work.  Would CNC understand an additional CNConstellationAntennaModule on a part?

Yes, CNC should see an additional CNConstellationAntennaModule  and shows the second "CNC: Setup" or similar button in Part Action menu.

You can experiment it. It should not make your player save irreverible.

3 hours ago, TaxiService said:

Yes, CNC should see an additional CNConstellationAntennaModule  and shows the second "CNC: Setup" or similar button in Part Action menu.

You can experiment it. It should not make your player save irreverible.

Cool, thanks.  I would have tried it out by now but I ran into some other problems.  I have JNSQ and KK installed and I was playing with the settings for having additional ground stations activated (both in the ksp advanced options and the KK options.)  Touching those settings seemed to make CNC mad and it began spewing NREs constantly.  I tried a few things to get it to stop including removing the CNC scenario from my save and letting it rebuild it with no luck.  I then tried your latest build supporting commnet manager and that seems to have cleared it up.  I'm guessing there was some kind of collision with KK ground stations.

I'm going to play with the multiple CNC antenna modules next.  I like keeping things on separate nets but would like my satellites to be slightly less obnoxious looking. :D

Alright I gave the multiple CNC antenna modules a try.  The action to set frequency shows up correctly in the PAW  but it definitely seems to  confuse the CNC control panel.

It's not a huge deal, I'm just going to simplify my network setup so it doesn't require so many antennas.

Also wanted to ask about the antenna dish part of the deployable science gear.  I noticed in the cfg file that there were some issues with it but I didn't see any details in the thread about it.  What is the issue with that?  I'm guessing it does not work with CNC since it's commented out in the patch file...?

On 2/5/2021 at 10:41 AM, CalicoJackRackam said:

Alright I gave the multiple CNC antenna modules a try.  The action to set frequency shows up correctly in the PAW  but it definitely seems to  confuse the CNC control panel.

It's not a huge deal, I'm just going to simplify my network setup so it doesn't require so many antennas.

Also wanted to ask about the antenna dish part of the deployable science gear.  I noticed in the cfg file that there were some issues with it but I didn't see any details in the thread about it.  What is the issue with that?  I'm guessing it does not work with CNC since it's commented out in the patch file...?

Thanks for your interesting results.

The issue is how deployable ground parts operate. The deloyable control station is treated as CommNetVessel instead of the deployable comm dish. My preliminary investigation indicates it would need a lot of code work to just make the comm dish as CommNetVessel. The justification for this is very weak, given the narrow scope of deployable ground parts.

Edited by TaxiService

Beta 2 of CommNet Constellation + CommNet Manager

I ported this mod to utilize the common CommNet infrastructure, managed by CommNet Manager, instead of own infrastructure. This means other mods running CommNet Manager can work fine with this mod.

Also, it will work on your player save as if nothing is changed.

Please back up your save first before trying out!

Progress Update

• Recompiled for KSP 1.11.1
  • No performance issue found from profiling
  • No gameplay issue or bug found so far

Requirements

• CommNet Constellation (download)
  • CommNet Manager 1.1.0
  • ModuleManager 4.1.4

Request
Please let me know on any issue found. I plan to publish several betas with any fix included before releasing to the wide audience officially.

Thanks!

@TaxiService Hey, I just installed this mod after discovering it on spacedock, and I applied it to an existing save to add a level of complexity to my game. I am using v1.5.7 of this mod.

I tried to dedicate one of my comms sat to a constellation, but I found it getting no signal.

After creating a bunch of constellations and configuring a bunch of ground bases, it seems to still not want to work. Whenever I change it to another freq, It says:

img%5D

The signal doesn't come online. What do I do? Did I do something wrong?

By the way, here's ksp.log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EEcbKfrc10YSZNrIspATj0SlvMRK_DGY/view?usp=sharing

Hope I can get a solution soon. Thanks for all of y'all's contributions.

Edited by kerbalxploder

I'm running the latest Beta.  I went through and upgraded all of the Kerbal Konstructs sites  that show up as ground stations to level 1.  (I'm running JNSQ and a ton of other mods ... I've not had any time to do any clean testing.)  Everything seemed to be working as expected.  

The next time I started up the game all of those KK ground stations were back to level 0 as if I had never upgraded or configured them.  That's not a terrible problem as the "default" ground stations still show up and are still working.  But now I'm getting  tons of NullRefs again.

I also noticed that when you mouse over the signal strength bars in the upper left (while controlling a vehicle) it shows the names of the relays it is using but the ground station that it connects to is blank, even if it's a default ground station or KSC.  Not the end of the world, you can still figure it out by tracing the connection lines back on the map but I did find it interesting to know exactly where on Kerbin I was making a connection.

Logs are here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/86x4cy4jpzhciyl/KSP_logs_CJR1.zip?dl=0

On 2/10/2021 at 9:19 AM, kerbalxploder said:

@TaxiService Hey, I just installed this mod after discovering it on spacedock, and I applied it to an existing save to add a level of complexity to my game. I am using v1.5.7 of this mod.

I tried to dedicate one of my comms sat to a constellation, but I found it getting no signal.

After creating a bunch of constellations and configuring a bunch of ground bases, it seems to still not want to work. Whenever I change it to another freq, It says:

img%5D

The signal doesn't come online. What do I do? Did I do something wrong?

By the way, here's ksp.log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EEcbKfrc10YSZNrIspATj0SlvMRK_DGY/view?usp=sharing

Hope I can get a solution soon. Thanks for all of y'all's contributions.

Hi, your log seems to say CommNetConstellation (CNC) was uninstalled and there aren't any CNC log printed in your last play.

Can you upload a different log, Player.log per log section of guideline, please?

On 2/11/2021 at 6:58 AM, CalicoJackRackam said:

I'm running the latest Beta.  I went through and upgraded all of the Kerbal Konstructs sites  that show up as ground stations to level 1.  (I'm running JNSQ and a ton of other mods ... I've not had any time to do any clean testing.)  Everything seemed to be working as expected.  

The next time I started up the game all of those KK ground stations were back to level 0 as if I had never upgraded or configured them.  That's not a terrible problem as the "default" ground stations still show up and are still working.  But now I'm getting  tons of NullRefs again.

I also noticed that when you mouse over the signal strength bars in the upper left (while controlling a vehicle) it shows the names of the relays it is using but the ground station that it connects to is blank, even if it's a default ground station or KSC.  Not the end of the world, you can still figure it out by tracing the connection lines back on the map but I did find it interesting to know exactly where on Kerbin I was making a connection.

Logs are here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/86x4cy4jpzhciyl/KSP_logs_CJR1.zip?dl=0

Just to be sure, KK is Kerbal Konstructs? The NullRefs errors are likely due to incomplete information of KK ground stations and I need to take a look at their configs.

The other bug of blank ground station name in the signal strength list is fixed.

6 hours ago, TaxiService said:

Hi, your log seems to say CommNetConstellation (CNC) was uninstalled and there aren't any CNC log printed in your last play.

Can you upload a different log, Player.log per log section of guideline, please?

Whoops, sorry. I must have put up the wrong ksp.log, I sincerely apologize for that.

I installed the mod again, and the problem is still prominent, but I believe I got the right log this time: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TR9VSl5dpX8mQdjOgmYvJtxD3FM8LBUr/view?usp=sharing

Additionally, here's what my GameData looks like: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qIeod9bTwnDV4nZgKUeCnE8-dZDkuudU/view?usp=sharing

Also, I can't seem to find Player.log anywhere in the ksp directory. I searched in file explorer, but no results.

Edited by kerbalxploder

3 hours ago, TaxiService said:

Just to be sure, KK is Kerbal Konstructs? The NullRefs errors are likely due to incomplete information of KK ground stations and I need to take a look at their configs.

The other bug of blank ground station name in the signal strength list is fixed.

Yes KK=Kerbal Konstructs ... sorry I wasn't clear.

Here is the KK configs that come with JNSQ:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/fenetmth0yn5l1l/KK.zip?dl=0

18 hours ago, kerbalxploder said:

Whoops, sorry. I must have put up the wrong ksp.log, I sincerely apologize for that.

I installed the mod again, and the problem is still prominent, but I believe I got the right log this time: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TR9VSl5dpX8mQdjOgmYvJtxD3FM8LBUr/view?usp=sharing

Additionally, here's what my GameData looks like: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qIeod9bTwnDV4nZgKUeCnE8-dZDkuudU/view?usp=sharing

Also, I can't seem to find Player.log anywhere in the ksp directory. I searched in file explorer, but no results.

Hi, your KSP.log is fine. It has this line "[ERR 14:34:35.160] [CommNet Constellation] Error: CNCCommNetScenario - Conflict with third-party CommNet mod(s)! Please remove this or other mod(s)" and I suspect it may be a new bug in the beta of CNC+CNM.

Can you remove CNC1.5.7+CNM and install the official CNC 1.5.7 (linky)? I looked at your other mods and they should not have any CommNet feature.

Thanks

7 hours ago, TaxiService said:

Can you remove CNC1.5.7+CNM and install the official CNC 1.5.7 (linky)? I looked at your other mods and they should not have any CommNet feature.

Hello, thanks for your help! I did this, and the mod functionality seems to work now. However, I have come to find that the CNC mod button on the mod toolbar is not working. I click on it, but nothing happens. This is in pretty much every scenario where the mod button appears on the toolbar.

Just in case my explanation was hard to understand, I screen recorded myself demonstrating this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OU24XFj67EFObfrnIWkr0-nKMTw18U6D/view?usp=sharing

In the video, I show that the CNC features work, but I can click on the toolbar button and nothing seems to pop up. By the way, I was able to create the constellations and comms sites previously when I still had CommNet manager installed.

Should I provide another log? 

Update: Somehow I got it to show. I went to configure an antenna, got stuck on the UI, went to the space center, switched from one save to another and went to tracking station and I was able to click it. Very strange, but I think it works for me now finally. Could you still revise this problem tough?

Also, I would like a feature for this mod to disable an antenna. Could that happen?

Edited by kerbalxploder

20 hours ago, kerbalxploder said:

Hello, thanks for your help! I did this, and the mod functionality seems to work now. However, I have come to find that the CNC mod button on the mod toolbar is not working. I click on it, but nothing happens. This is in pretty much every scenario where the mod button appears on the toolbar.

Just in case my explanation was hard to understand, I screen recorded myself demonstrating this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OU24XFj67EFObfrnIWkr0-nKMTw18U6D/view?usp=sharing

In the video, I show that the CNC features work, but I can click on the toolbar button and nothing seems to pop up. By the way, I was able to create the constellations and comms sites previously when I still had CommNet manager installed.

Should I provide another log? 

Update: Somehow I got it to show. I went to configure an antenna, got stuck on the UI, went to the space center, switched from one save to another and went to tracking station and I was able to click it. Very strange, but I think it works for me now finally. Could you still revise this problem tough?

Also, I would like a feature for this mod to disable an antenna. Could that happen?

Indeed, it is very strange. I checked the codes for toolbar button and it didn't have any condition on when you can't click. I will look into this problem and the bug you reported in CNC+CNM later.

For your request, you can go into "CNC: Communication" button of probe core and de-select specific antenna(s) in "Antenna Selection" tab to turn off.

v3TW59X.png

20 hours ago, Mr Betelgeuse said:

This mod doesn't seem to work for me. I think it has to due with the fact that I'm adding it to an existing save.

Hi, did you manage to get it work by trying few workarounds discovered by other players?

• Switch to another save (even fresh save) and back to your save?
  • Quit and re-launch the game?

If none is working, please provide the Player.log per log section of guideline.

On 2/14/2021 at 6:13 PM, Mr Betelgeuse said:

This mod doesn't seem to work for me. I think it has to due with the fact that I'm adding it to an existing save.

Make sure you have the correct download - initially I installed the latest version without realising that I needed CommNet Manager for it to work.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2021 at 4:58 AM, CalicoJackRackam said:

Yes KK=Kerbal Konstructs ... sorry I wasn't clear.

Here is the KK configs that come with JNSQ:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/fenetmth0yn5l1l/KK.zip?dl=0

I poked around in JNSQ and KK (without CNC installed) and could not figure out which models are CommNet ground stations. They seem like normal models to place in KK editor mode.

Can you help to explain how you set up those KK ground stations?

Thanks

Edit: Found the KK parameter setting of CommNet ground stations and the facility-type function function of a model.

Edited by TaxiService

Hello.  Thanks for the awesome mod!  I am excited to begin using it, but am also having an issue with the UI not opening from the menu Icon, wherever I may be, either Map or Tracking Station.  I have tried digging through logs to debug the issue, but am coming up short.  I can click on individual parts on the ship itself, and change settings for those individually, but cannot access the main UI at all.

Please let me know if you can help me out with this, as I would really enjoy using this mod!

Edit:  I followed what kerbalxploder said, and was able to get the main UI to open after previously clicking on CNC: Communication on an active ship, then returning to Space Center and then to the Tracking Station.

As I dug more into the logs, it seems it is giving a NRE for each click.  Seems the UI object is not instantiated until you click on an active vessel to load it up prior.

Edited by GizmoNomical
Including debug information.

On 3/5/2021 at 4:48 PM, GizmoNomical said:

Hello.  Thanks for the awesome mod!  I am excited to begin using it, but am also having an issue with the UI not opening from the menu Icon, wherever I may be, either Map or Tracking Station.  I have tried digging through logs to debug the issue, but am coming up short.  I can click on individual parts on the ship itself, and change settings for those individually, but cannot access the main UI at all.

Please let me know if you can help me out with this, as I would really enjoy using this mod!

Edit:  I followed what kerbalxploder said, and was able to get the main UI to open after previously clicking on CNC: Communication on an active ship, then returning to Space Center and then to the Tracking Station.

As I dug more into the logs, it seems it is giving a NRE for each click.  Seems the UI object is not instantiated until you click on an active vessel to load it up prior.

Hi, if possible, kindly provide the logs you checked.

I would like to find out what CNC version you used and whether CommNet Manager is installed.

Thanks.

On 3/7/2021 at 9:24 AM, Aussie Toad Stool said:

Hi i am receiving an error, meaning that all crafts do not connect to the constellations. I am playing on KSP ver 1.9.1

when i try to set an antenna over to a constellation i get, Specific cast not valid

log file is here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nkAyGT31srX0DlO9xXE0PfMDfRzKuC62/view?usp=sharing

Hi, based on your log, CNC 1.5.4 is standalone (have own CommNet infrastructure) and does not utilise CommNet Manager. Having both CNC and CNM on your installation will cause mod conflicts, including NullReference spam.

Short time ago, I created a new CNM port of CNC 1.5.7 but it only runs on KSP 1.11 due to 1 important KSP change introduced.

Edited by TaxiService