[1.11] CommNet Constellation v1.5.7 [10 January 2021] - Beta 4 of CNC+CNM for KSP 1.12.2!

TaxiService

2. Each antenna has one frequency and the vessel takes from its antennas and builds its the frequency list.

I think this is the best option. This will enable create bridges between different networks (like global and local communication networks without using public broadcast network).

Edited by Oectacan
Voting.

This thread has a poll on top, I guess you could do that too @TaxiService:

My suggestion (again) in short:

Number 2 "B":

Dishes seperated in low- , mid- and highfrequency. And the probe then get's a list of the frequences to choose from depending on the added dishes + the ability to select a channel.

16 hours ago, wadusher1 said:

Also, welcome to the forums. :)

Thank you for your help an the warm welcome :-)

Been playing KSP since early 2015 and 400+ hours (and a own little mod :-) ) of game time, but never made the step to log into is forum, at least till yesterday :-D

I will wait more input from public on the frequency design for more inputs. It looks like it is heading for the option #2 surely.

16 hours ago, justspace103 said:

@TaxiService

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kmqrj3a42dl62d9/KSP copy.log?dl=0

So the button shows up and the lines from public broadcasting but when i go to click the button it doesnt pull anything up. but hte weirdest thing is, that i tried it in another save on the same game, and it worked.

Thank you for the screenshot and log.

I found the cause on why no reaction is given when clicking. An exception below was thrown:

Spoiler

[EXC 16:15:59.064] UnityException: Texture 'CommNetConstellation/Textures/target' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings.
    UnityEngine.Texture2D.GetPixel (Int32 x, Int32 y)
    CommNetConstellation.UI.UIUtils.createAndOverlay (UnityEngine.Texture2D baseTexture, UnityEngine.Texture2D frontTexture)
    CommNetConstellation.UI.UIUtils.createImageButtonStyle (UnityEngine.Texture2D iconTexture)
    CommNetConstellation.UI.ConstellationControlDialog.createVesselRow (CommNetConstellation.CommNetLayer.CNCCommNetVessel thisVessel)
    CommNetConstellation.UI.ConstellationControlDialog.populateVesselRows (VesselTypeFilter filter)
    CommNetConstellation.UI.ConstellationControlDialog.setupVesselList ()
    CommNetConstellation.UI.ConstellationControlDialog.drawContentComponents ()
    CommNetConstellation.UI.AbstractDialog.spawnDialog ()
    CommNetConstellation.UI.AbstractDialog.launch (System.Object[] args)
    CommNetConstellation.UI.AbstractDialog.launch ()
    CommNetConstellation.CommNetConstellationDuplicate.<Start>b__0_0 ()
    KSP.UI.Screens.ApplicationLauncherButton.OnTrue (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData data, CallType callType)
    UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCall`2[UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData,KSP.UI.UIRadioButton+CallType].Invoke (System.Object[] args)
    UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCallList.Invoke (System.Object[] parameters)
    UnityEngine.Events.UnityEventBase.Invoke (System.Object[] parameters)
    UnityEngine.Events.UnityEvent`2[UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData,KSP.UI.UIRadioButton+CallType].Invoke (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData arg0, CallType arg1)
    KSP.UI.UIRadioButton.SetState (State state, CallType callType, UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData data, Boolean popButtonsInGroup)
    KSP.UI.UIRadioButton.ToggleState (CallType callType, UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData data)
    KSP.UI.UIRadioButton.UnityEngine.EventSystems.IPointerClickHandler.OnPointerClick (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute (IPointerClickHandler handler, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute[IPointerClickHandler] (UnityEngine.GameObject target, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData, UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventFunction`1 functor)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()

The CommNetConstellation interface crashed when trying to access the target texture. Strangely, this texture is already loaded and all other textures, included the blue global icon, are accessible. Does this problem appear in every session or one-time?

I accidently posted this in the Star Mod thread, I blame my phone. Copied from the other thread;

This maybe a dumb question, but can this be used with the current remotetech? CommNet is just to simple to even consider. I probably wouldn't play KSP without RT

Edit: Since you're asking for opinions. I think option two is the best route as well. You could make it so it's only as complex  as the user chooses by simply defaulting to to the "Public channel" unless the user changes it. As a bonus it does solve the docking issue quite nicely. (Kinda elegant how it's built into how option two works.)

Edited by snkiz
Vote in informal poll.

I like the idea of this mod and will definitely check it out sometime soon.

As for the question: I also think #2 (frequency per antenna) would be the preferable (and more quasi-realistic) solution. Also a bit simpler craft-design-wise to just use extra antennas vs extra probe cores, and cheaper on parts-count too.

I must be missing something - I just put a satellite up into orbit (for a contract), thus I don't want it on the public network. When I type in a new frequency, I am told to "choose an existing constellation"... and I don't have any yet, nor do I know how to set one up. I see no additional buttons or tooltips to assist in how to do any of this. Perhaps someone could be kind enough to give a more step-by-step set of instructions for using this?

EDIT: NM - just found that whole setup in the Tracking Station - I expected to be able to do it all from within the Flight screens. Disregard.

EDIT Jr. : Did the ability to change ground station frequencies already get implemented, and if so, how is this done? I've tried right- and left-clicking the red dots that show on the Tracking/Map screen with no results, and I don't see them mentioned anywhere in the interface.

Edited by Shadriss

3 hours ago, Shadriss said:

I must be missing something - I just put a satellite up into orbit (for a contract), thus I don't want it on the public network. When I type in a new frequency, I am told to "choose an existing constellation"... and I don't have any yet, nor do I know how to set one up. I see no additional buttons or tooltips to assist in how to do any of this. Perhaps someone could be kind enough to give a more step-by-step set of instructions for using this?

EDIT: NM - just found that whole setup in the Tracking Station - I expected to be able to do it all from within the Flight screens. Disregard.

EDIT Jr. : Did the ability to change ground station frequencies already get implemented, and if so, how is this done? I've tried right- and left-clicking the red dots that show on the Tracking/Map screen with no results, and I don't see them mentioned anywhere in the interface.

You can also do in the Map View of the flight scene, not just from Tracking Station.

I overlooked the ability of changing the ground-station frequencies during the development. It will be added to a next version.

I would also like to throw in for option #2

EDIT:  After playing this mod for the first time, I've come across an issue.  The frequency manager doesn't work.  I can access the context menu options in the VAB/SPH and in flight and can assign channels, but when I click on the constellation toolbar item, nothing happens.  The button highlights like it's selected, but nothing happens on the screen.

Here's an excerpt from the log with every instance of CNC:

Spoiler

[LOG 17:06:05.844] Load(Assembly): CommNetConstellation/Plugins/CommNetConstellation
[LOG 17:06:05.844] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /Volumes/My Disk/KSP_RSS/GameData/CommNetConstellation/Plugins/CommNetConstellation.dll
[LOG 17:06:05.845] AssemblyLoader: KSPAssembly 'CommNetConstellation' V1.0
CommNetConstellation v1.0.0.0 / v1.0.0
CommNetConstellation
  CommNetConstellation.CommNetLayer.CNCCommNetVessel active=True order=999
[LOG 17:06:15.854] Load(Texture): CommNetConstellation/Textures/activeButtonBg
[LOG 17:06:15.887] Load(Texture): CommNetConstellation/Textures/cnclauncherbutton
[LOG 17:06:15.894] Load(Texture): CommNetConstellation/Textures/colorDisplay
[LOG 17:06:15.903] Load(Texture): CommNetConstellation/Textures/disableButtonBg
[LOG 17:06:15.909] Load(Texture): CommNetConstellation/Textures/groundStationMark
[LOG 17:06:15.918] Load(Texture): CommNetConstellation/Textures/hoverButtonBg
[LOG 17:06:15.926] Load(Texture): CommNetConstellation/Textures/pressButtonBg
[LOG 17:06:15.932] Load(Texture): CommNetConstellation/Textures/target
[LOG 17:09:16.338] Config(@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]) CommNetConstellation/cnc_module_MM/@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]
[LOG 17:09:16.338] Config(CommNetConstellationSettings) CommNetConstellation/cnc_settings/CommNetConstellationSettings
[LOG 17:09:16.459] [TR.Loader] Unloaded CommNetConstellation/Textures/activeButtonBg
[LOG 17:09:16.459] [TR.Loader] Unloaded CommNetConstellation/Textures/cnclauncherbutton
[LOG 17:09:16.459] [TR.Loader] Unloaded CommNetConstellation/Textures/colorDisplay
[LOG 17:09:16.459] [TR.Loader] Unloaded CommNetConstellation/Textures/disableButtonBg
[LOG 17:09:16.459] [TR.Loader] Unloaded CommNetConstellation/Textures/groundStationMark
[LOG 17:09:16.459] [TR.Loader] Unloaded CommNetConstellation/Textures/hoverButtonBg
[LOG 17:09:16.459] [TR.Loader] Unloaded CommNetConstellation/Textures/pressButtonBg
[LOG 17:09:16.459] [TR.Loader] Unloaded CommNetConstellation/Textures/target
    CommNetConstellation v1.0.0.0 / v1.0.0           SHA256 538ac5be4ccf69e0be50e10d5344b6f6d559ba5e73e27fe0beac2622e6a44c69
[LOG 17:09:45.712] CommNet Constellation -> verbose: Load starting settings into object with CommNetConstellationSettings
[LOG 17:11:25.453] [AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'CommNetConstellationDuplicate' from assembly 'CommNetConstellation'
[EXC 17:11:32.406] UnityException: Texture 'CommNetConstellation/Textures/target' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings.
    CommNetConstellation.UI.UIUtils.createAndOverlay (UnityEngine.Texture2D baseTexture, UnityEngine.Texture2D frontTexture)
    CommNetConstellation.UI.UIUtils.createImageButtonStyle (UnityEngine.Texture2D iconTexture)
    CommNetConstellation.UI.ConstellationControlDialog.createVesselRow (CommNetConstellation.CommNetLayer.CNCCommNetVessel thisVessel)
    CommNetConstellation.UI.ConstellationControlDialog.populateVesselRows (VesselTypeFilter filter)
[LOG 17:13:41.246] [AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'CommNetConstellationDuplicate' from assembly 'CommNetConstellation'
[EXC 17:13:51.669] UnityException: Texture 'CommNetConstellation/Textures/target' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings.
[LOG 17:14:43.488] [AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'CommNetConstellation' from assembly 'CommNetConstellation'
[EXC 17:15:03.017] UnityException: Texture 'CommNetConstellation/Textures/target' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings.
    CommNetConstellation.CommNetConstellation.<Start>b__2_0 ()

And here is my mod list:

Spoiler

Airplane Plus

Aviation Cockpits

Better Science Labs Continued

ChopShop

CommNetConstellation

Community Category Kit

Configurable Containers

Contract Configurator

DMagic Orbital Science

Extraplanetary Launchpads

Firespitter

FTLDriveContinued

GroundConstruction

Hangar

HLAirships

KAS

KerbalFoundries

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement

Kerbal Konstructs

Kerbinside (core)

Automated Science Sampler

Kerbal Science Exchange

KIS

Kopernicus (as part of RSS)

Kramax Autopilot

KSP-AVC

KSPWheel

LETech

Mechjeb 2

Mechjeb embedded

ModularFlightIntegrator

Module Manager 2.7.5

Part Commander Continued

Planetary Base Inc

RSS

Retractable Lifting Surface

ScanSat

SMURFF

Spacey-Expanded

Spacey-Lifters

StageRecovery

SXT

Tarsier Space Tech

Texture Replacer

TCA

KAC

Alternate Resource Panel

TRP-Hire

Tweakscale

USI mods - Akita, Konstruction, Containers, Lifesupport, MKS, Reactors, Warpdrive

Universal Storage

Waypoint Manager

Wild Blue's Buffalo

OSE Workshop

Edited by MaxPeck

8 hours ago, MaxPeck said:

EDIT:  After playing this mod for the first time, I've come across an issue.  The frequency manager doesn't work.  I can access the context menu options in the VAB/SPH and in flight and can assign channels, but when I click on the constellation toolbar item, nothing happens.  The button highlights like it's selected, but nothing happens on the screen.

Here's an excerpt from the log with every instance of CNC:

Reveal hidden contents

[LOG 17:06:05.844] Load(Assembly): CommNetConstellation/Plugins/CommNetConstellation
[LOG 17:06:05.844] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /Volumes/My Disk/KSP_RSS/GameData/CommNetConstellation/Plugins/CommNetConstellation.dll
[LOG 17:06:05.845] AssemblyLoader: KSPAssembly 'CommNetConstellation' V1.0
CommNetConstellation v1.0.0.0 / v1.0.0
CommNetConstellation
[LOG 17:06:15.854] Load(Texture): CommNetConstellation/Textures/activeButtonBg
[LOG 17:06:15.887] Load(Texture): CommNetConstellation/Textures/cnclauncherbutton
[LOG 17:06:15.894] Load(Texture): CommNetConstellation/Textures/colorDisplay
[LOG 17:06:15.903] Load(Texture): CommNetConstellation/Textures/disableButtonBg
[LOG 17:06:15.909] Load(Texture): CommNetConstellation/Textures/groundStationMark
[LOG 17:06:15.918] Load(Texture): CommNetConstellation/Textures/hoverButtonBg
[LOG 17:06:15.926] Load(Texture): CommNetConstellation/Textures/pressButtonBg
[LOG 17:06:15.932] Load(Texture): CommNetConstellation/Textures/target
[LOG 17:09:16.338] Config(@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]) CommNetConstellation/cnc_module_MM/@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]
[LOG 17:09:16.338] Config(CommNetConstellationSettings) CommNetConstellation/cnc_settings/CommNetConstellationSettings
[LOG 17:09:16.459] [TR.Loader] Unloaded CommNetConstellation/Textures/activeButtonBg
[LOG 17:09:16.459] [TR.Loader] Unloaded CommNetConstellation/Textures/cnclauncherbutton
[LOG 17:09:16.459] [TR.Loader] Unloaded CommNetConstellation/Textures/colorDisplay
[LOG 17:09:16.459] [TR.Loader] Unloaded CommNetConstellation/Textures/disableButtonBg
[LOG 17:09:16.459] [TR.Loader] Unloaded CommNetConstellation/Textures/groundStationMark
[LOG 17:09:16.459] [TR.Loader] Unloaded CommNetConstellation/Textures/hoverButtonBg
[LOG 17:09:16.459] [TR.Loader] Unloaded CommNetConstellation/Textures/pressButtonBg
[LOG 17:09:16.459] [TR.Loader] Unloaded CommNetConstellation/Textures/target
    CommNetConstellation v1.0.0.0 / v1.0.0           SHA256 538ac5be4ccf69e0be50e10d5344b6f6d559ba5e73e27fe0beac2622e6a44c69
[LOG 17:09:45.712] CommNet Constellation -> verbose: Load starting settings into object with CommNetConstellationSettings
[LOG 17:11:25.453] [AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'CommNetConstellationDuplicate' from assembly 'CommNetConstellation'
[EXC 17:11:32.406] UnityException: Texture 'CommNetConstellation/Textures/target' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings.
[LOG 17:13:41.246] [AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'CommNetConstellationDuplicate' from assembly 'CommNetConstellation'
[EXC 17:13:51.669] UnityException: Texture 'CommNetConstellation/Textures/target' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings.
[LOG 17:14:43.488] [AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'CommNetConstellation' from assembly 'CommNetConstellation'
[EXC 17:15:03.017] UnityException: Texture 'CommNetConstellation/Textures/target' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings.
    CommNetConstellation.CommNetConstellation.<Start>b__2_0 ()

And here is my mod list:

Reveal hidden contents

Airplane Plus

Aviation Cockpits

Better Science Labs Continued

ChopShop

CommNetConstellation

Community Category Kit

Configurable Containers

Contract Configurator

DMagic Orbital Science

Extraplanetary Launchpads

Firespitter

FTLDriveContinued

GroundConstruction

Hangar

HLAirships

KAS

KerbalFoundries

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement

Kerbal Konstructs

Kerbinside (core)

Automated Science Sampler

Kerbal Science Exchange

KIS

Kopernicus (as part of RSS)

Kramax Autopilot

KSP-AVC

KSPWheel

LETech

Mechjeb 2

Mechjeb embedded

ModularFlightIntegrator

Module Manager 2.7.5

Part Commander Continued

Planetary Base Inc

RSS

Retractable Lifting Surface

ScanSat

SMURFF

Spacey-Expanded

Spacey-Lifters

StageRecovery

SXT

Tarsier Space Tech

Texture Replacer

TCA

KAC

Alternate Resource Panel

TRP-Hire

Tweakscale

USI mods - Akita, Konstruction, Containers, Lifesupport, MKS, Reactors, Warpdrive

Universal Storage

Waypoint Manager

Wild Blue's Buffalo

OSE Workshop

Yup, there is another player reporting this target texture being inaccessible, resulting in the toolbar interface crash. I do not have a Mac computer so I can't figure out why this particular texture is blocked there. Any Mac user can assist on this issue?

Edited by TaxiService

So this line is the issue?

Sounds like a Unity thing... 

@TaxiService So here is something from Unity's forums that seems to match the problem and a fix. I've never worked in Unity, but since you made this mod I have to assume you're at least passingly familiar with what they're talking about. 

Hope this helps...

http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/25775/trying-to-access-a-textures-pixel-coords.html

I haven't tried this mod yet, and I'm trying to figure out how I could make use of it. What are the tradeoffs (if any) of setting all my vessels to the same frequency? Or am I limited in any way to choose it? Otherwise why should I actually use different channels? It only increases chances of losing connection.

So, my suggestion is to either enforce specific frequencies depending on antenna type or make their parameters vary as they do in real life. For instance, some frequencies may require more energy than the others, travel better in the atmosphere (i.e. have lower occlusion modifier), or there may be a limit to the number of simultaneous vessels on one frequency (which mean that it's too busy).

Like the guy above, I also don't see why you would ever want to have more than one network as things are described right now. Agreed it seems to just increase your chance of having a comms blackout, with no tangible benefits in exchange.

The main reason for this in real life, is that simultaneous traffic would interfere, but it's nearly impossible to have simultaneous traffic in KSP, since you have to manually click science to send anything, and all the mods I'm aware of that automate things stop working when you leave a vessel for another (for example, kos, or the flight computer on RT)

5 hours ago, garwel said:

I haven't tried this mod yet, and I'm trying to figure out how I could make use of it. What are the tradeoffs (if any) of setting all my vessels to the same frequency? Or am I limited in any way to choose it? Otherwise why should I actually use different channels? It only increases chances of losing connection.

So, my suggestion is to either enforce specific frequencies depending on antenna type or make their parameters vary as they do in real life. For instance, some frequencies may require more energy than the others, travel better in the atmosphere (i.e. have lower occlusion modifier), or there may be a limit to the number of simultaneous vessels on one frequency (which mean that it's too busy).

3 hours ago, Crimeo said:

Like the guy above, I also don't see why you would ever want to have more than one network as things are described right now. Agreed it seems to just increase your chance of having a comms blackout, with no tangible benefits in exchange.

The main reason for this in real life, is that simultaneous traffic would interfere, but it's nearly impossible to have simultaneous traffic in KSP, since you have to manually click science to send anything, and all the mods I'm aware of that automate things stop working when you leave a vessel for another (for example, kos, or the flight computer on RT)

This mod is essentially a proof-of-concept on a a future RemoteTech feature request. As you may be aware of this, the RemoteTech mod is oriented towards more difficult network management, when compared to stock 'launch and forgot' CommNet. You are spot on a higher risk of a comms blackout, just like RemoteTech ;-)

@justspace103 @MaxPeck

I found out the possible cause behind the unreadable texture issue. Your Texture Replacer mod somehow manages to render the texture file inaccessible.

Can you do me a solid by copying this cfg as "cnc_texturereplacer.cfg" into your CommNetConstellation folder and letting me if it fixes the issue, please?

Spoiler

TextureReplacer
{
    keepLoaded = ^CommNetConstellation/Textures/
}

12 minutes ago, TaxiService said:

@justspace103 @MaxPeck

I found out the possible cause behind the unreadable texture issue. Your Texture Replacer mod somehow manages to render the texture file inaccessible.

Can you do me a solid by copying this cfg as "cnc_texturereplacer.cfg" into your CommNetConstellation folder and letting me if it fixes the issue, please?

Hide contents

TextureReplacer
{
}

Working on it now... I'll let you know in a few.

37 minutes ago, TaxiService said:

@justspace103 @MaxPeck

Hide contents

TextureReplacer
{
}

No joy.  Still broke.

Here's what the log spits out:

[WRN 09:27:38.132] Config in file '/Volumes/My Disk/KSP_RSS/GameData/CommNetConstellation/cnc_texturereplacer.cfg' contains an unnamed node. Skipping.
[WRN 09:27:43.292] Config in file '/Volumes/My Disk/KSP_RSS/GameData/CommNetConstellation/cnc_texturereplacer.cfg' contains an unnamed node. Skipping.
Changed : CommNetConstellation/cnc_texturereplacer.cfg

18 minutes ago, MaxPeck said:

No joy.  Still broke.

Here's what the log spits out:

[WRN 09:27:38.132] Config in file '/Volumes/My Disk/KSP_RSS/GameData/CommNetConstellation/cnc_texturereplacer.cfg' contains an unnamed node. Skipping.
[WRN 09:27:43.292] Config in file '/Volumes/My Disk/KSP_RSS/GameData/CommNetConstellation/cnc_texturereplacer.cfg' contains an unnamed node. Skipping.
Changed : CommNetConstellation/cnc_texturereplacer.cfg

Ok, thanks for testing. I will go and ask in TextureReplacer thread on this.

1 hour ago, TaxiService said:

This mod is essentially a proof-of-concept on a a future RemoteTech feature request. As you may be aware of this, the RemoteTech mod is oriented towards more difficult network management, when compared to stock 'launch and forgot' CommNet. You are spot on a higher risk of a comms blackout, just like RemoteTech ;-)

I know this, and I'm eagerly waiting for RT 2.0. I also don't mind extra challenges as long as they have a clear logic (such as realism, roleplaying, etc.). In this case, at least in the present state of the mod, you have no incentives to actually use its features (apart from having less "spaghetti", but it's purely an aesthetic one). In fact, you are punished for it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing your mod. I see a lot of people here who are happy with it. I just suggest that you go beyond the bare concept of dividing vessels by channels and give some gameplay or roleplay incentives for using this mod's features.