[1.11] CommNet Constellation v1.5.7 [10 January 2021] - Beta 4 of CNC+CNM for KSP 1.12.2!

TaxiService

CommNet Constellation 1.0.1 is out! 

Two NullReferenceException fixes.

Spoiler

What's new?

• Pre-emptively change the ubiquitous name of one texture file
  • Fix NullReferenceException spam when a vessel has no working connection
  • Fix NullReferenceException spam when a kerbal goes on EVA
  • Improve the launcher-button image

Requirements

• ModuleManager
  • Kerbal Space Program 1.2.2

Known issues

• Issue #2 - White connections caused by combinations of other mods
  • Overlooked feature of editing ground stations' frequencies

Anyone, please let me know if you can see the newer version on CKAN to update. I tried it but I can't figure out how to force-update over CNC 1.0 on my side.

Edited by TaxiService

First, let me say that this looks very good! I will certainly install the next time I play KSP. I was reading some of the posts trying to and could not find the reason for giving each tracking station its own frequency. Is it not better and/or easier to have "Kerbin" be one global frequency? In RL, you can change station frequencies to different channels but it just becomes tedious in KSP to switch them as you change networks. I am just failing to see the advantage here. If it is to remove the spaghetti clutter to Kerbin, why not just only render the comm line to the closest tracking station? I can imagine setting up a relay network in each sphere of influence and having it talk back to Kerbin. You can switch to the local relay network as your vessel changes SOI. This would be more difficult having tracking stations on different frequencies.

EDIT: Let me clarify what I mean logistically here with a hypothetical example (Take with a grain of salt, I haven't tried the mod yet):

I have 4 satellites orbiting Duna, each with 2 antenna (This assumes the mod has been updated to use antenna and not command parts). One antenna is set to the Duna Local network frequency, while the other antenna in each craft is set to the Kebin DSN frequency (Global Frequency). Let's now say I have a lander coming to Duna. During flight I have it set to the DSN frequency but, upon arrival at the Duna SOI, I change it to the Duna Local Network. Would this not mean that this craft will render its Duna network but still maintain communication to Kerbin?

Edited by akron

2 hours ago, TaxiService said:

CommNet Constellation 1.0.1 is out! 

Two NullReferenceException fixes.

Reveal hidden contents

What's new?

• Pre-emptively change the ubiquitous name of one texture file
  • Fix NullReferenceException spam when a vessel has no working connection
  • Fix NullReferenceException spam when a kerbal goes on EVA
  • Improve the launcher-button image

Requirements

• ModuleManager
  • Kerbal Space Program 1.2.2

Known issues

• Issue #2 - White connections caused by combinations of other mods
  • Overlooked feature of editing ground stations' frequencies

Anyone, please let me know if you can see the newer version on CKAN to update. I tried it but I can't figure out how to force-update over CNC 1.0 on my side.

[EXC 12:05:14.795] UnityException: Texture 'CommNetConstellation/Textures/focusEye' is not readable, the texture memory can not be accessed from scripts. You can make the texture readable in the Texture Import Settings.

I can't even.  Seems this mod just hates MAC users.  Thanks for trying though, looks like a great mod, nonetheless.  I'm happy to try to help figure out what's going on with this, because I'd really like to be able to include it in my game.

22 hours ago, akron said:

First, let me say that this looks very good! I will certainly install the next time I play KSP. I was reading some of the posts trying to and could not find the reason for giving each tracking station its own frequency. Is it not better and/or easier to have "Kerbin" be one global frequency? In RL, you can change station frequencies to different channels but it just becomes tedious in KSP to switch them as you change networks. I am just failing to see the advantage here. If it is to remove the spaghetti clutter to Kerbin, why not just only render the comm line to the closest tracking station? I can imagine setting up a relay network in each sphere of influence and having it talk back to Kerbin. You can switch to the local relay network as your vessel changes SOI. This would be more difficult having tracking stations on different frequencies.

EDIT: Let me clarify what I mean logistically here with a hypothetical example (Take with a grain of salt, I haven't tried the mod yet):

I have 4 satellites orbiting Duna, each with 2 antenna (This assumes the mod has been updated to use antenna and not command parts). One antenna is set to the Duna Local network frequency, while the other antenna in each craft is set to the Kebin DSN frequency (Global Frequency). Let's now say I have a lander coming to Duna. During flight I have it set to the DSN frequency but, upon arrival at the Duna SOI, I change it to the Duna Local Network. Would this not mean that this craft will render its Duna network but still maintain communication to Kerbin?

Figuring out it is better to address with your hypothetical example.

In this example, your lander craft will immediately connect to the Duna network (Duna Local), which in turn is in contact with Kerbin (DSN). This effectively routes the lander's connection through this Duna network to Kerbin. If your lander is set to the DSN frequency while being in the Duna SOI, it will connect to Kerbin directly.

Back to your main post, the UI mode of displaying working connections only, like RemoteTech's Multi-Path mode, is on my feature list. I didn't add it in the initial version as I found CommNet's UI bits hard to understand. 

Each tracking station is going to have a list of frequencies, not single frequency so by default, it will have the global frequency initially. So when you feel like to add another network, you add the new frequency to the station's list.

Edited by TaxiService

4 hours ago, TaxiService said:

Each tracking station is going to have a list of frequencies, not single frequency so by default, it will have the global frequency initially. So when you feel like to add another network, you add the new frequency to the station's list.

Will they connect to all frequencies on their list? Or do you have to switch them between them? (This was kinda my original point actually, glad you went back to it) Thank you!

17 minutes ago, akron said:

Will they connect to all frequencies on their list? Or do you have to switch them between them? (This was kinda my original point actually, glad you went back to it) Thank you!

So, basically, you want them to connect to EVERYTHING..??
I can see some people wanting to have that, but I can see other cases, where you would only want them to connect to, say, one relay sat in each planetary network... in which case, everything in each planetary SOI network would connect to one sat, which is the ONLY one that connects back to Kerbin... That way you dont have EVERY single probe/sat/station/craft in the game, all connected to Kerbin individually...( which i "think", might be YOUR point?)

Does MY point make sense?? :P

Edited by Stone Blue

40 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

So, basically, you want them to connect to EVERYTHING..??
I can see some people wanting to have that, but I can see other cases, where you would only want them to connect to, say, one relay sat in each planetary network... in which case, everything in each planetary SOI network would connect to one sat, which is the ONLY one that connects back to Kerbin... That way you dont have EVERY single probe/sat/station/craft in the game, all connected to Kerbin individually...( which i "think", might be YOUR point?)

Does MY point make sense?? :P

Well, sort of. Having only one satellite in each network connect back to Kerbin just seems like asking for trouble. I am making two point/asking two questions:

Will the tracking stations connect to all frequencies on their list? You can mitigate network boundaries by just limiting the communication frequencies of remote nodes accessible by the tracking stations.

Second, If they will only connect to one network at the time, will they do so globally? Meaning that if I set the Polar tracking station to frequency 1, will all others also listen to frequency 1? This is to prevent blackouts and connection issues and just keep the system homogeneous. I would at least see if there can be a checkbox or a config option that will apply changes to all tracking stations if any are changed.

I think I may just be thinking further than the scope of this mod, which seems to be test/scope of concept for RT2. I would just prefer that have the complexity be left with RT for those that use it, but keep this plugin more simple and straightforward.

EDIT: I am also think for my own mod. I can make relay antenna systems bundling multiple transmitter modules so you can have one single part access two networks. Intelsat-style probes can act like a junction node and transfer signals between 4-6 networks :)

Edited by akron

20 hours ago, akron said:

The core rule is two vessels/ground stations can talk to each other if and only if they have the same frequency. A vessel of frequency #1 cannot talk to another vessel of frequency #2 and vice versa. Likewise, if a vessel is visible to the ground stations of the same frequency, the vessel will connect to those stations.

15 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

Excuse me, um, I'm a lil confused about the functions of this mod, sorry if you tried to explain in the first page, I still don't fully understand how it works and what it does

Yup, I should expand the mod description as it was only two sentences. The first page is edited now. Better understanding?

19 hours ago, akron said:

Well, sort of. Having only one satellite in each network connect back to Kerbin just seems like asking for trouble.

From a realism standpoint, I agree with you. From the standpoint of cleaning up the spaghetti, not so much.

Realism: Single-point failures are bad. Having only a single satellite as the link to all the others is, as you put it, asking for trouble, as if it gets disabled for any reason, the rest of the constellation would, in essence, go dark, rendering it completely useless for it's intended purpose.

Spaghetti: Single-point comms would clean up the lines around Kerbin substantially, which is more or less the point of this mod (among others).

Compromise: Set two or possibly three members of a group to talk to Kerbin, meeting the goals of both problems.

@TaxiService -

A) It's not mentioned anywhere, and I HOPE it never becomes an issue anyhow, but is there an upper limit to the number of frequencies that can be created and applied?

B) Is there any thought being given to the ability to filter the list of craft in the UI, so you don't have to scroll a large list in the mid- to late-game?

C) There is a lot of wasted (empty) space on the current UI. You mentioned that you were still working on it - is a streamlining of the look part of that?

13 minutes ago, Shadriss said:

From a realism standpoint, I agree with you. From the standpoint of cleaning up the spaghetti, not so much.

Realism: Single-point failures are bad. Having only a single satellite as the link to all the others is, as you put it, asking for trouble, as if it gets disabled for any reason, the rest of the constellation would, in essence, go dark, rendering it completely useless for it's intended purpose.

Spaghetti: Single-point comms would clean up the lines around Kerbin substantially, which is more or less the point of this mod (among others).

Compromise: Set two or possibly three members of a group to talk to Kerbin, meeting the goals of both problems.

Indeed, I am changing to have each ground station/vessel a list of frequencies, instead of single frequency.

A) It's not mentioned anywhere, and I HOPE it never becomes an issue anyhow, but is there an upper limit to the number of frequencies that can be created and applied?

B) Is there any thought being given to the ability to filter the list of craft in the UI, so you don't have to scroll a large list in the mid- to late-game?

C) There is a lot of wasted (empty) space on the current UI. You mentioned that you were still working on it - is a streamlining of the look part of that?

A) Total 32,768 frequencies (0 to 32,767)

B) The craft list is directly tied to the Map View's filters. Go click the type buttons and be amazed! (I better write down this question in FAQ)

C) I deliberately design the interfaces to easily update with new content over time. Hence, the initial version has lot of empty spaces.

Edited by TaxiService
Oops

3 hours ago, TaxiService said:

A) Total 32,768 frequencies (0 to 32,767)

B) The craft list is directly tied to the Map View's filters. Go click the type buttons and be amazed! (I better write down this question in FAQ)

C) I deliberately design the interfaces to easily update with new content over time. Hence, the initial version has lot of empty spaces.

A) Outstanding - no future issues anticipated.

B) I know - but wanted to make sure others did from the best source possible. (You're Welcome! All part of the service!)

C) I refer more to the amount of space between entries more so than anything else. Even so, from your answer I surmise that more work on that is, indeed, upcoming, so I'll just shut up and wait. I'd say take my money, but... well... yeah. :)

19 hours ago, Shadriss said:

Having just one satellite means you'll lose connection once in a while even if everything is working. Can't avoid occlusion problems without another sat. While the connection loss might be short and rare it will still happen just as you are about to land a probe or something :)

Maybe at some point we could have lines only for some primary route to KSC and others, while still connected, would be hidden.

@TaxiService So I've been playing with this trying to make it work and no combination of mods added or removed seems to make a difference.   I haven't yet tried a vanilla install with just this and MM, but that's next.

So, in the meantime, and I know it's potentially a pain in the butt, but for the sake of testing, can you make a version that replaces the problematic button image with just a regular pushbutton?  I know it's ugly and not how you envision the mod looking, but I want to see if that button really is the problem with the UI, or if it's just a general incompatibility with Macs for some reason.  I know it's a pain to recompile like this, but if this is a proof-of-concept for a RT2 piece, you probably ought to chase these down anyway so that your stuff doesn't kill off the Mac users.

Also @everyone - is anyone using a Mac and had this mod work?

2 minutes ago, MaxPeck said:

@TaxiService So I've been playing with this trying to make it work and no combination of mods added or removed seems to make a difference.   I haven't yet tried a vanilla install with just this and MM, but that's next.

So, in the meantime, and I know it's potentially a pain in the butt, but for the sake of testing, can you make a version that replaces the problematic button image with just a regular pushbutton?  I know it's ugly and not how you envision the mod looking, but I want to see if that button really is the problem with the UI, or if it's just a general incompatibility with Macs for some reason.  I know it's a pain to recompile like this, but if this is a proof-of-concept for a RT2 piece, you probably ought to chase these down anyway so that your stuff doesn't kill off the Mac users.

Also @everyone - is anyone using a Mac and had this mod work?

I will put up a non-release DLL without this button image soon. What about TextureReplacer mod? It seems to mess with focusEye image.

5 minutes ago, TaxiService said:

I will put up a non-release DLL without this button image soon. What about TextureReplacer mod? It seems to mess with focusEye image.

Actually, no.  I didn't try that one.  I was mostly focusing on the ones that modify the command pod options or UI interfaces (like PDPN and Astrogator)... texture replacer never even occurred to me to try.  I'll give it a shot and let you know.

Plus - when you wrote that earlier MM patch, mine stopped throwing one of the exceptions, so I think I just mentally eliminated it as a culprit.

Edited by MaxPeck

11 minutes ago, MaxPeck said:

Actually, no.  I didn't try that one.  I was mostly focusing on the ones that modify the command pod options or UI interfaces (like PDPN and Astrogator)... texture replacer never even occurred to me to try.  I'll give it a shot and let you know.

Plus - when you wrote that earlier MM patch, mine stopped throwing one of the exceptions, so I think I just mentally eliminated it as a culprit.

Here's the debug-mode release. Just replace your whole CNC mod with this.

21 minutes ago, TaxiService said:

The interface for editing ground stations is committed to the codebase. What is your feedback on this?

AuOxbRU.png

By the way, I am re-reading your posts on the frequency & antenna functions.

Looking good.  I'd love to be able to roll up the different sections in the control panel - but that's a minor request at most, it looks fully useable here.