[1.11] CommNet Constellation v1.5.7 [10 January 2021] - Beta 4 of CNC+CNM for KSP 1.12.2!

TaxiService

5 minutes ago, TaxiService said:

The output_log.txt is up to the main menu only so none of the communication data is written to the log. If possible, launch KSP, resume into any vessel and then exit normally. The requested data should be written to the log by now.

(What a fun timing with KSP 1.3.1 release)

Done. Replaced the one I uploaded before, so it uses the same link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ff59f5jctuu27wk/output_log.txt?dl=0

26 minutes ago, Fourjays said:

Done. Replaced the one I uploaded before, so it uses the same link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ff59f5jctuu27wk/output_log.txt?dl=0

Thanks, I found this strange contradiction on Altas III, which has a single frequency 11 in use, as shown below.

Line 218689: CommNet Constellation -> verbose: CommNet Vessel 'Explorer II' has the single freq 0 of 250000 power
Line 218693: CommNet Constellation -> verbose: CommNet Vessel 'Explorer III' has the single freq 0 of 5000 power
Line 218697: CommNet Constellation -> verbose: CommNet Vessel 'Atlas II' has the single freq 11 of 2000000 power
Line 218701: CommNet Constellation -> verbose: CommNet Vessel 'Atlas III' has the single freq 11 of 2000000 power
Line 218705: CommNet Constellation -> verbose: CommNet Vessel 'Atlas IV' has the single freq 11 of 2000000 power
Line 218709: CommNet Constellation -> verbose: CommNet Vessel 'Atlas V' has the single freq 11 of 2000000 power
Line 218713: CommNet Constellation -> verbose: CommNet Vessel 'COMSAT-K1' has the strongest freq 10 of 22627682162.4946 power
Line 218717: CommNet Constellation -> verbose: CommNet Vessel 'COMSAT-K2' has the strongest freq 10 of 22627682162.4946 power
Line 218721: CommNet Constellation -> verbose: CommNet Vessel 'COMSAT-K3' has the strongest freq 10 of 22627682162.4946 power
Line 218725: CommNet Constellation -> verbose: CommNet Vessel 'COMSAT-K4' has the strongest freq 10 of 45874783.7361884 power
Line 218729: CommNet Constellation -> verbose: CommNet Vessel 'COMSAT-K5' has the strongest freq 10 of 45874783.7361884 power
Line 218733: CommNet Constellation -> verbose: CommNet Vessel 'COMSAT-K6' has the strongest freq 10 of 45874783.7361884 power

Based on this, the connection of K5 (very low power) and Altas III (2M) is using the frequency 11 and hence very low. Can you check-double the frequency list of Altas III and the activation of its dishes antennas (need to extend in order to use)?

Edited by TaxiService

6 minutes ago, TaxiService said:

Thanks, I found this strange contradiction on Altas III, which has a single frequency 11 in use, as shown below.

Line 218689: CommNet Constellation -> verbose: CommNet Vessel 'Explorer II' has the single freq 0 of 250000 power
Line 218693: CommNet Constellation -> verbose: CommNet Vessel 'Explorer III' has the single freq 0 of 5000 power
Line 218697: CommNet Constellation -> verbose: CommNet Vessel 'Atlas II' has the single freq 11 of 2000000 power
Line 218701: CommNet Constellation -> verbose: CommNet Vessel 'Atlas III' has the single freq 11 of 2000000 power
Line 218705: CommNet Constellation -> verbose: CommNet Vessel 'Atlas IV' has the single freq 11 of 2000000 power
Line 218709: CommNet Constellation -> verbose: CommNet Vessel 'Atlas V' has the single freq 11 of 2000000 power
Line 218713: CommNet Constellation -> verbose: CommNet Vessel 'COMSAT-K1' has the strongest freq 10 of 22627682162.4946 power
Line 218717: CommNet Constellation -> verbose: CommNet Vessel 'COMSAT-K2' has the strongest freq 10 of 22627682162.4946 power
Line 218721: CommNet Constellation -> verbose: CommNet Vessel 'COMSAT-K3' has the strongest freq 10 of 22627682162.4946 power
Line 218725: CommNet Constellation -> verbose: CommNet Vessel 'COMSAT-K4' has the strongest freq 10 of 45874783.7361884 power
Line 218729: CommNet Constellation -> verbose: CommNet Vessel 'COMSAT-K5' has the strongest freq 10 of 45874783.7361884 power
Line 218733: CommNet Constellation -> verbose: CommNet Vessel 'COMSAT-K6' has the strongest freq 10 of 45874783.7361884 power

Based on this, the connection of K5 (very low power) and Altas III (2M) is using the frequency 11 and hence very low. Can you check-double the frequency list of Altas III and the activation of its dishes (need to extend in order to use)?

Frequency is because I've been experimenting with different frequencies/colours trying to see if I find anything different with that red line. I've got 11 set to green, yet just like 10 that single jump appears red.

I just checked over both Atlas and the nearest COMSAT, and all antennas are extended. Atlas has 4x KD2 Antennas (from BDB) rated at 500k each (combinable), plus a probe antenna rated at 20k (the "fourchette" probe body from BDB). COMSATs 4/5/6 each have 4x HG5 High Gain antenna rated at 20M each (combinable), an F21 Helenical  antenna (from BDB) rated at 500k and the probe antenna rated at 2M or 5k (the "Obelix" probe body from BDB - seems to list two antenna ranges).

I set three of the four relay dishes on the nearest COMSAT to frequency 11. Signal strength is reported at 6%.

Here's a screenshot of the latest setup and I've also just uploaded a new output_log with the extra antennas set to frequency 11:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rm4j1j0z2eayahc/output_log_2.txt?dl=0

95DE9E386E9C059B57EAFD48C2F7E10E8692F17D

32 minutes ago, Fourjays said:

Frequency is because I've been experimenting with different frequencies/colours trying to see if I find anything different with that red line. I've got 11 set to green, yet just like 10 that single jump appears red.

I just checked over both Atlas and the nearest COMSAT, and all antennas are extended. Atlas has 4x KD2 Antennas (from BDB) rated at 500k each (combinable), plus a probe antenna rated at 20k (the "fourchette" probe body from BDB). COMSATs 4/5/6 each have 4x HG5 High Gain antenna rated at 20M each (combinable), an F21 Helenical  antenna (from BDB) rated at 500k and the probe antenna rated at 2M or 5k (the "Obelix" probe body from BDB - seems to list two antenna ranges).

I set three of the four relay dishes on the nearest COMSAT to frequency 11. Signal strength is reported at 6%.

Here's a screenshot of the latest setup and I've also just uploaded a new output_log with the extra antennas set to frequency 11:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rm4j1j0z2eayahc/output_log_2.txt?dl=0

Ok, the latest log indicates pretty normal. I tested (should check in the first place) the CommNet range calculator with 56M and 2M on both sides and found that the estimated signal strength is close to what you observed (< 5%).

29bnIjq.png

The max distance of this connection is the square root of the product of the comm powers (stock CommNet rule) so it is no wonder this signal strength is so low.  :P

Edited by TaxiService

19 minutes ago, TaxiService said:

Ok, the latest log indicates pretty normal. I tested (should check in the first place) the CommNet range calculator with 56M and 2M on both sides and found that the estimated signal strength is close to what you observed (< 5%).

29bnIjq.png

The max distance of this connection is the square root of the product of the comm powers (stock CommNet rule) so it is no wonder this signal strength is so low.  :P

Thanks for helping me figure it out, even though it isn't entirely related to your mod. I better cancel my outer planet probe missions until I unlock some stronger communications equipment. :D

Is there a reason for the red-line on the final hop instead of a blue/green one? It does seem to be strength related, as if I change my "red" constellation to yellow, that final hop remains red.

19 minutes ago, Fourjays said:

Thanks for helping me figure it out, even though it isn't entirely related to your mod. I better cancel my outer planet probe missions until I unlock some stronger communications equipment. :D

Is there a reason for the red-line on the final hop instead of a blue/green one? It does seem to be strength related, as if I change my "red" constellation to yellow, that final hop remains red.

I do not have any better idea on how to visualize the diminishing connection strength. This works well in stock CommNet, where green and red colors are the strongest and weakest signals respectively. But this mod with all connection colors? I haven't figured out how to paint a connection (say flashing, dashed or thick lines) in KSP.

1 minute ago, TaxiService said:

I do not have any better idea on how to visualize the diminishing connection strength. This works well in stock CommNet, where green and red colors are the strongest and weakest signals respectively. But this mod with all connection colors? I haven't figured out how to paint a connection (say flashing, dashed or thick lines) in KSP.

Ok that makes sense. My suggestion would be either change the opacity of the lines (but my 6% craft would probably appear to have no connection :D ), or have a toggle to turn signal strength indication on/off, where "on" replaces the constellation colours with green/yellow/red to indicate strength). No idea what is possible, just the first ideas that popped into my head.  I write mods for other games so I'm fully aware that sometimes a game engine just won't do what you want it to do. :)

Thanks for the work you've done on this mod though. It is a really good addition to the stock comm system. Hope to see it in RemoteTech in the future too.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey guys is there a bug in the version for KSP 1.3.0 where you can't control probes if they are connected to networks other than the public broadcasting or is that a feature?

*edit: Probes can only be controlled if they have a direct connection to the ground stations. Relayed signals via a network does not allow for probe control even if the relay antenna is well within range. The mod visually shows the connection between vessels.

Edited by Ratchet Hundreda

Okay since i might've not been clear enough, here is a little more in depth explanation of the issue i'm having:

ksp_commconst_1_edit_by_ratchethun-dbsuzH

I would like to create this network with one relay satellite talking to Kerbin ground stations and relaying to the Duna Network members.

On the relay satellite Du - R-SAT the dish with the highest comm power is set to talk to the network DSN which is a frequency that the ground stations talk on as well. Other two dishes on the satellite are set to communicate with the Duna Network members.

ksp_commconst_2_by_ratchethun-dbsuz5w.pn

ksp_commconst_3_edit_by_ratchethun-dbsuz

The problem is that the Duna Network members are uncontrollable when set to only talk on the Duna Network frequency even though the relay satellite has connection to ground.

ksp_commconst_4_edit_by_ratchethun-dbsuz

They can only talk on open broadcast.

ksp_commconst_5_by_ratchethun-dbsuz75.pn

*edit: A bit later i realized the problem might be that in the stock game the antennas i used are only capable of direct connections. Since that i launched another satellite with direct antennas for connecting with ground and a relay antenna set to communicate with the network members. The result is still the same. 

I wonder if the root of the problem may be that i need relay antennas for both establishing connection with the ground and relaying the signal to other vessels...

15 hours ago, Ratchet Hundreda said:

Okay since i might've not been clear enough, here is a little more in depth explanation of the issue i'm having:

I would like to create this network with one relay satellite talking to Kerbin ground stations and relaying to the Duna Network members.

On the relay satellite Du - R-SAT the dish with the highest comm power is set to talk to the network DSN which is a frequency that the ground stations talk on as well. Other two dishes on the satellite are set to communicate with the Duna Network members.

The problem is that the Duna Network members are uncontrollable when set to only talk on the Duna Network frequency even though the relay satellite has connection to ground.

They can only talk on open broadcast.

*edit: A bit later i realized the problem might be that in the stock game the antennas i used are only capable of direct connections. Since that i launched another satellite with direct antennas for connecting with ground and a relay antenna set to communicate with the network members. The result is still the same. 

I wonder if the root of the problem may be that i need relay antennas for both establishing connection with the ground and relaying the signal to other vessels...

Yup, your diagnosis looks correct. Your Du-R-Sat's antennas, Communotron DTS-M1 and HG-55, are Direct type unfortunately (linky). I am wondering if the second satellite you launch has indeed a Relay-Type antenna.

3 hours ago, TaxiService said:

Yup, your diagnosis looks correct. Your Du-R-Sat's antennas, Communotron DTS-M1 and HG-55, are Direct type unfortunately (linky). I am wondering if the second satellite you launch has indeed a Relay-Type antenna.

Similarly to the previous setup the satellite has 2 DTS-M1 and a HG-55 antenna set to communicate with ground but this time also a single HG-5 High Gain set to talk to the network members. It still does not allow control of the network members.

I did not try the setup with relay antennas for both ground comm and network comm yet, i'm about to start to fiddle with it in sandbox.

*edit: Yeah, so i experimented with it and turns out the relay satellite needs relay-type antennas for both connecting to ground and talking to probes with direct or a single relay antenna in order for them to be controllable.

I don't know how i feel about this. I guess it's just a stock mechanic which doesn't really make much sense... :/ regardless i feel stupid not realizing this mechanic even after playing this game for so long... facepalm2010

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, flart said:

Is there mod what just add "shortest paths at Tracking Station for every vessel" mode?

To my knowledge, there is no mod with this feature for CommNet yet. I do know that RemoteTech has one of the visual modes, MultiPath that displays all the working connections (aka shortest paths) of all vessels in the Map View but it does not use CommNet.

Speaking of this, this MultiPath mode happens to be on my TODO list of CommNet Constellation as I need to replicate it for stock CommNet.

• 1 month later...

I love your mod as I've probably stated here before as I've been using it for quite some time on previous saves: and rather recently on my modded career save on Galileo's Planet Pack I've ran into a slight issue. Everything had been going smoothly, I was able to construct an Iota relay network, frequencies and all were acting as intended... But after launching up a station element with a relay antenna, I went to launch another station piece... and found I was unable to make a connection with the segment on the launchpad. I retried with just a probe, a battery, and an antenna: but still no dice. Opening up the logs, it seems that during it I'm getting spammed with this NRE during this failure (I would provide the whole log, but it's too large for pastebin: so if there's another relevant section you need, just ask, I can replicate: I just imagined this might be the most relevant section):

Spoiler

[LOG 14:27:12.419] CommNet Constellation -> verbose: CommNetVessel cache - 10 entries deleted
[LOG 14:27:12.419] CommNet Constellation -> verbose: CommNetVessel cache - 9 entries added
[EXC 14:27:12.420] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    CommNet.CommNetwork.TryConnect (CommNet.CommNode a, CommNet.CommNode b, Double distance, Boolean aCanRelay, Boolean bCanRelay, Boolean bothRelay)
    CommNet.CommNetwork.SetNodeConnection (CommNet.CommNode a, CommNet.CommNode b)
    CommNetConstellation.CommNetLayer.CNCCommNetwork.SetNodeConnection (CommNet.CommNode a, CommNet.CommNode b)
    CommNet.Network.Net`4[_Net,_Data,_Link,_Path].UpdateNetwork ()
    CommNet.Network.Net`4[_Net,_Data,_Link,_Path].Rebuild ()
    CommNet.CommNetwork.Rebuild ()
    CommNet.CommNetNetwork.Update ()
[EXC 14:27:12.441] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    CommNet.CommNetwork.TryConnect (CommNet.CommNode a, CommNet.CommNode b, Double distance, Boolean aCanRelay, Boolean bCanRelay, Boolean bothRelay)
    CommNetConstellation.CommNetLayer.CNCCommNetwork.SetNodeConnection (CommNet.CommNode a, CommNet.CommNode b)
[EXC 14:27:12.458] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 14:27:12.479] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Doing further troubleshooting, I found that removing the mod fixes the issue immediately: my probes being able to connect again without issue. It only effects newly launched vessels: my currently orbiting ones seem to be capable of keeping their connections across their respective frequencies. Removing the mod, then re-adding it also does nothing to fix the issue either: as those NRE's crop up again and still no connection to the probe.

Other relevant information if it matters: I'm on a 10x scale GPP save with a tier 3 tracking station, with extra ground stations enabled (all of them are tuned for frequencies 0, 1, 2, 3). I have tried all stock antenna with a stock octo probe core, all of them fail in the given situation. I have tried cycling frequencies through all of my existing frequencies and still no dice. I've tried gaining altitude in case it was some sort of terrain occlusion bug, still no dice. I am using the latest version of KSP, with the latest release version of CommNet Constellation from Spacedock, and the 3.0.1 version of Modulemanager (I updated to it right before launching the first station element if I recall, from the 2.X.X versions)

Mod List if it may be an incompatibility (most of these I've tested through, and seen no conflict (the only one which  seems to effect stock antennae being science relay, which I've used extensively before in combination with the mod with great results))

Spoiler

bXhcNWn.png

Apologies if I'm missing any critical information or compatible with any of the preceding conditions, but thanks for giving this a looking over.

Edited by Markrc93
Added a little more info

On 12/17/2017 at 3:51 AM, Markrc93 said:

I love your mod as I've probably stated here before as I've been using it for quite some time on previous saves: and rather recently on my modded career save on Galileo's Planet Pack I've ran into a slight issue. Everything had been going smoothly, I was able to construct an Iota relay network, frequencies and all were acting as intended... But after launching up a station element with a relay antenna, I went to launch another station piece... and found I was unable to make a connection with the segment on the launchpad. I retried with just a probe, a battery, and an antenna: but still no dice. Opening up the logs, it seems that during it I'm getting spammed with this NRE during this failure (I would provide the whole log, but it's too large for pastebin: so if there's another relevant section you need, just ask, I can replicate: I just imagined this might be the most relevant section):

<snipe>

Doing further troubleshooting, I found that removing the mod fixes the issue immediately: my probes being able to connect again without issue. It only effects newly launched vessels: my currently orbiting ones seem to be capable of keeping their connections across their respective frequencies. Removing the mod, then re-adding it also does nothing to fix the issue either: as those NRE's crop up again and still no connection to the probe.

Other relevant information if it matters: I'm on a 10x scale GPP save with a tier 3 tracking station, with extra ground stations enabled (all of them are tuned for frequencies 0, 1, 2, 3). I have tried all stock antenna with a stock octo probe core, all of them fail in the given situation. I have tried cycling frequencies through all of my existing frequencies and still no dice. I've tried gaining altitude in case it was some sort of terrain occlusion bug, still no dice. I am using the latest version of KSP, with the latest release version of CommNet Constellation from Spacedock, and the 3.0.1 version of Modulemanager (I updated to it right before launching the first station element if I recall, from the 2.X.X versions)

Mod List if it may be an incompatibility (most of these I've tested through, and seen no conflict (the only one which  seems to effect stock antennae being science relay, which I've used extensively before in combination with the mod with great results))

<snipe>

Apologies if I'm missing any critical information or compatible with any of the preceding conditions, but thanks for giving this a looking over.

Hi, many thanks for your detailed report!

I gave a quick test on KSP 1.3.1 with CNC 1.1.1 and MM 3.0.1 and found no connectivity issue.

Based on the exceptions you found, it seems one or more antenna/probe-core parts involved may be incompatible, causing invalid CommNode data KSP was trying to read. So here're few questions for you:

1. Can you recreate your vessel with stock probe-core & antenna parts and see if it can make connection at the launchpad?
  2. Can you list the non-stock probe-core/antenna parts involved in your vessel on the launchpad?
  3. Can you take a screenshot of your non-working vessel so that I can see what parts were on it?

By the way, I remember ScienceRelay has its own CommNet function (inconsistent logic like transfer to another vessel without CNC connection) but you mentioned your existing vessels in space are working as normal. I don't think it has something to do with ScienceRelay.

Thanks!

Here you go: I've done a bit more troubleshooting, and I think I've narrowed down the issue somewhat.

Here's the test craft I used, fully stock:

Spoiler

0zUKVUn.png

It's on Frequency 0.

No connection as you can see: but, I was thinking it might have something to do with the station module I launched before this all started. The station has no unmanned control points (probe core or otherwise), no electricity but it does have a relay antenna (tuned to frequency 1) as you can see below:

Spoiler

g7g9ej0.png

1x RA-2 Relay Antenna (stock)

2x Gigantor Solar Arrays (stock)

1x Research Lab (station science)

2x Konstruction Docking Ports (USI: Construction)

But, while in control of the testing craft: watch what happens when I disable the station's antennae from the CNC menu:

Spoiler

4TvJXl1.png

We have connection! But, if I turn the station back on, switch to the station, then back to the test... No connection. It seemed the issue might be with having craft that have active relay antenna, but no unmanned control point: they seem to mess up the entire network for some reason.

So just for sake of consistency and trial: I retried this with my current save which I had been playing for a bit after removing CNC (I made a quicksave as soon as I experienced these issues to do some tests), and, due to the change over, the station reverted to frequency 0 (public broadcasting).... and oddly enough... the test craft, same identical one as the first image, still has connection. So switched the station to frequency 1... switched to it... then switched back to my test craft... And it still has connection. The difference between these two circumstances is I built a bit more onto the station: it has electrical capacity now (but still no unmanned control point), and now a (stock) science lab (which has a Kerbnet access module as per stock).

Image of the slightly improved (still under construction) station:

Spoiler

yRVAxDl.png

Parts:

3x OX-4L 1x6 Photovoltaic Panels (stock)

1x Communotron 16-s (stock)

1x Mobile Processing Lab MPL-LG-2 (stock)

1x PPD-24 Itinerant Service Container (Nertea's near future spacecraft)

1x PPD-24 Observation Module (Nertea's Stockalike Station Parts Expansion)

2x Konstruction Docking Ports (Roverdude's USI: Construction)

It'd seem, at least from my observations that it's either something to do with a vessel that has no control point but with relay antennae (since my debris doesn't give me the same issue), lacks electricity and/or lacks Kerbnet access... or some combination of the following as those seem to be the only relevant variables changed (I have launched a few more direct connection satellites in the gap of time of course on the present day save). I do hope this helps.

Edited by Markrc93
Added a detail

I'm having some trouble with my FPS dropping. I built a 40-satellite (hey, why not) network in low Kerbin orbit, and it drags my FPS down to about half. There seems to be some collision with other mods as well - dropping it down even further to around 2-3. I'm trying to figure out which mod it is, but it's a painful process....

edit; The latter issue seems to be with ModularFlightIntegrator. Not sure what I'm using that for... hm.

edit 2: I also have some issues with the links "flashing" in the tracking station. Gonna find out which one is causing that.

Edited by makkz

16 hours ago, Markrc93 said:

Here you go: I've done a bit more troubleshooting, and I think I've narrowed down the issue somewhat.

Here's the test craft I used, fully stock:

Reveal hidden contents

0zUKVUn.png

It's on Frequency 0.

No connection as you can see: but, I was thinking it might have something to do with the station module I launched before this all started. The station has no unmanned control points (probe core or otherwise), no electricity but it does have a relay antenna (tuned to frequency 1) as you can see below:

Reveal hidden contents

g7g9ej0.png

2x Konstruction Docking Ports (USI: Construction)

But, while in control of the testing craft: watch what happens when I disable the station's antennae from the CNC menu:

Reveal hidden contents

4TvJXl1.png

We have connection! But, if I turn the station back on, switch to the station, then back to the test... No connection. It seemed the issue might be with having craft that have active relay antenna, but no unmanned control point: they seem to mess up the entire network for some reason.

So just for sake of consistency and trial: I retried this with my current save which I had been playing for a bit after removing CNC (I made a quicksave as soon as I experienced these issues to do some tests), and, due to the change over, the station reverted to frequency 0 (public broadcasting).... and oddly enough... the test craft, same identical one as the first image, still has connection. So switched the station to frequency 1... switched to it... then switched back to my test craft... And it still has connection. The difference between these two circumstances is I built a bit more onto the station: it has electrical capacity now (but still no unmanned control point), and now a (stock) science lab (which has a Kerbnet access module as per stock).

Image of the slightly improved (still under construction) station:

Reveal hidden contents

yRVAxDl.png

Parts:

3x OX-4L 1x6 Photovoltaic Panels (stock)

1x Communotron 16-s (stock)

1x Mobile Processing Lab MPL-LG-2 (stock)

1x PPD-24 Itinerant Service Container (Nertea's near future spacecraft)

1x PPD-24 Observation Module (Nertea's Stockalike Station Parts Expansion)

2x Konstruction Docking Ports (Roverdude's USI: Construction)

It'd seem, at least from my observations that it's either something to do with a vessel that has no control point but with relay antennae (since my debris doesn't give me the same issue), lacks electricity and/or lacks Kerbnet access... or some combination of the following as those seem to be the only relevant variables changed (I have launched a few more direct connection satellites in the gap of time of course on the present day save). I do hope this helps.

Thank you so much for your rigorous testing! It looks like you found an edge scenario of CNC. I will file a new CNC issue on your behalf to investigate this scenario.

13 hours ago, makkz said:

I'm having some trouble with my FPS dropping. I built a 40-satellite (hey, why not) network in low Kerbin orbit, and it drags my FPS down to about half. There seems to be some collision with other mods as well - dropping it down even further to around 2-3. I'm trying to figure out which mod it is, but it's a painful process....

edit; The latter issue seems to be with ModularFlightIntegrator. Not sure what I'm using that for... hm.

edit 2: I also have some issues with the links "flashing" in the tracking station. Gonna find out which one is causing that.

Unfortunately, it is the performance issue of CommNet network. The FPS dropping and flashing connections (as well as brief hangups) are the direct effects of CNC-modded CommNet doing heavy CPU calculations per physical frame on a large number of vessels (like your 40 satellites). I personally experienced this in my own play save of 30+ vessels and was forced to "decommission" most of the vessels to lessen the CPU workload.

I am using this problem as a next lesson for this CommNet-part of RT2 development. Meanwhile, I am looking into possible performance optimizations for CNC.

Edited by TaxiService

7 hours ago, TaxiService said:

Thank you so much for your rigorous testing! It looks like you found an edge scenario of CNC. I will file a new CNC issue on your behalf to investigate this scenario.

And thank you for your speed on responding to it and filing the issue on github for me. If there's anything else you need me to examine or pass you from the save file that may help you out: just ask (I won't be ditching the quicksave file for the foreseeable near future). I've resumed usage of the mod on my save, and enjoying each moment of it.

• 2 weeks later...

CommNet Constellation 1.1.2 is out! 

• Recompile for KSP 1.3.1
  • Add RemoteTech's MultiPath mode to see all working connections
  • Support the localisation of part, vessel and planet names

Linky 

Spoiler

What's new?

• Recompile for KSP 1.3.1
  • Update ModuleManager to 3.0.1
  • Switch to full part, vessel and planet localisation (Issue #4)
  • Reformat the logging to naturally fit in KSP Console
  • Implement RemoteTech's MultiPath mode of displaying all working connections
  • Fix the issue of NullReferenceException spam on a vessel with an antenna part but no probe-core/command part (Issue #6)

Requirements

• ModuleManager
  • Kerbal Space Program 1.3

Known issues

• Issue #2 - White connections caused by combinations of other mods

Edited by TaxiService

Hello, I suspect there is a problem with this mod. I don't know since when it happens because I didn't play for a while.

Also I don't use it because I didn't created a new career after release of CommNet (introduced in ksp1.2)

So after reverting to sph/vab, I'm stuck in the vab/sph.

Here is the log output :

[snip]

Exceptions starts on line 20852 when initializing editor mode.

Edited by Vanamonde

On 1/4/2018 at 7:10 PM, itsou said:

Hello, I suspect there is a problem with this mod. I don't know since when it happens because I didn't play for a while.

Also I don't use it because I didn't created a new career after release of CommNet (introduced in ksp1.2)

So after reverting to sph/vab, I'm stuck in the vab/sph.

Here is the log output :

<snip?

Exceptions starts on line 20852 when initializing editor mode.

Hi, thanks for your bug report.

According to your log, you entered SPH and launched a vessel in Flight at the Runaway. Then, you did something to this vessel and reverted back to SPH. That is when a bunch of exception  appeared and prevented you from exiting the editor. Is this order of steps correct? I tried to reproduce the errors observed in the log on my side but could not. 

In addition, it seems there is something invalid in your vessel file that causes the errors. Can you build a simple vessel from fresh and subject it to the same steps you did that caused the errors?

Thanks!

Edited by TaxiService

I made a fresh CKan install, and used CommNet to not get clouded in a spagethi Network, but now no kerbal can make a EVA Report.

I only have MM and CommNet installed as Mods.

[LOG 21:41:45.565] [FLIGHT GLOBALS]: Switching To Vessel Jebediah Kerman ---------------------- 
[LOG 21:41:45.566] [PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Jebediah Kerman
[WRN 21:41:45.573] [Part]: kerbalEVA (Jebediah Kerman) holds crew but has no interior model defined!
[LOG 21:41:48.363] [Experiments]: Setting FX Modules to 1...
[LOG 21:41:48.364] [Experiments]: FX Modules set: 1
[EXC 21:41:48.376] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	ExperimentResultDialogPage..ctor (.Part host, .ScienceData experimentData, Single xmitBase, Single xmitBonus, Boolean showTransmitWarning, System.String transmitWarningMessage, Boolean showResetOption, .ScienceLabSearch labSearch, .Callback`1 onDiscardData, .Callback`1 onKeepData, .Callback`1 onTransmitData, .Callback`1 onSendToLab)
	ModuleScienceExperiment.reviewData ()
	ModuleScienceExperiment+<gatherData>c__Iterator87.MoveNext ()
	UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress)

9 hours ago, Alewx said:

I made a fresh CKan install, and used CommNet to not get clouded in a spagethi Network, but now no kerbal can make a EVA Report.

I only have MM and CommNet installed as Mods.

[LOG 21:41:45.565] [FLIGHT GLOBALS]: Switching To Vessel Jebediah Kerman ---------------------- 
[LOG 21:41:45.566] [PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Jebediah Kerman
[WRN 21:41:45.573] [Part]: kerbalEVA (Jebediah Kerman) holds crew but has no interior model defined!
[LOG 21:41:48.363] [Experiments]: Setting FX Modules to 1...
[LOG 21:41:48.364] [Experiments]: FX Modules set: 1
[EXC 21:41:48.376] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	ExperimentResultDialogPage..ctor (.Part host, .ScienceData experimentData, Single xmitBase, Single xmitBonus, Boolean showTransmitWarning, System.String transmitWarningMessage, Boolean showResetOption, .ScienceLabSearch labSearch, .Callback`1 onDiscardData, .Callback`1 onKeepData, .Callback`1 onTransmitData, .Callback`1 onSendToLab)
	ModuleScienceExperiment.reviewData ()
	ModuleScienceExperiment+<gatherData>c__Iterator87.MoveNext ()
	UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress)

Hi, thanks for reporting this bug! I am able to reproduce it in CNC 1.1.2 only. It breaks the experiment popup window only and does not affect the EVA report in background.

I will fix this and send up a next CNC version, along with a fix to the other bug reported.

You may downgrade to CNC 1.1.1 if you want.

6 hours ago, TaxiService said:

Hi, thanks for reporting this bug! I am able to reproduce it in CNC 1.1.2 only. It breaks the experiment popup window only and does not affect the EVA report in background.

I will fix this and send up a next CNC version, along with a fix to the other bug reported.

You may downgrade to CNC 1.1.1 if you want.

Thanks for the reply, will downgrade until the update is out.