TaxiService

[1.7.1] CommNet Constellation v1.4 [5 June 2019]

Recommended Posts

Hi there,

Just an update on the development and the impact of KSP 1.3.

Going through KSP 1.3's underlying objects, I discovered there is significant amount of improvements and changes to the CommNet. I need to make major changes first in response but the upside is some of CommNet things are now exposed I want to take advantage of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CommNet Constellation 1.0.2 is out! 

Recompiled for KSP 1.3.0 while I am working on the frequency list of a craft

Spoiler

What's new?

  • Recompiled for KSP 1.3.0

Requirements

  • ModuleManager
  • Kerbal Space Program 1.3

Known issues

  • Issue #2 - White connections caused by combinations of other mods

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Announcement

Pre-release 1 2 of the coming CommNet Constellation 1.1 is available for public feedback! Note that some of things are incomplete.

Please backup your saves before installing this potential-destruction version.

Big Picture: http://i.imgur.com/2PvQlBX.png
Link: https://github.com/KSP-TaxiService/CommNetConstellation/releases/tag/feedback.090617
Link: https://github.com/KSP-TaxiService/CommNetConstellation/releases/tag/feedback.110617

Spoiler

Pre-release 2 of coming CNC 1.1 for public feedback

  • Fixed the issue of all existing vessels getting removed upon installing for the first time
  • Revised the connection ranges between any 2 vessels

Things not done yet

  • Incomplete interface for vessel's frequency list
  • Incomplete updating of CommNet network connectivity
  • Configure antennas & frequency list in the VAB and SPV
  • Few other things I can't recall

Pre-release 1 of coming CNC 1.1 for public feedback

  • Ability to edit ground stations (name, frequency list, color) in a new interface
  • Input locks to stop unintended keypress-caused actions when typing in mod interfaces
  • Switch to the frequency list of a vessel
  • One frequency and custom name per antenna
  • Preserve stock Comm power of antennas
  • Preserve stock Comm-power combination
  • Changes in Part-Action buttons in command and antenna parts

Things not done yet

  • Incomplete interface for vessel's frequency list
  • Incomplete updating of CommNet network connectivity
  • Configure antennas & frequency list in the VAB and SPV
  • Few other things I can't recall

 

Edited by TaxiService

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TaxiService said:

Announcement

Pre-release 1 of the coming CommNet Constellation 1.1 is available for public feedback! Note that some of things are incomplete.

Please backup your saves before installing this potential-destruction version.

Just a note: More the potential-destruction.  It removed *all* of my vessels in flight - including debris.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the same issue, along with the save resetting to year 1 day 1. However, after uninstalling the mod and starting the game with a backup of the save, then installing the latest version, all vessels loaded correctly and the time was unchanged.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It`s look nicely, thanks for great work,  but i find some issues there:

- After changing frequency of some antenna i need use F5-F9 to apply changes

- If i have two antennas with two different frequency, even after i shutdown one of them, vessel continue use both frequencies

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@DStaal @roruwok Whoops, my bad. I added something new to the upgrade-version system. The new pre-release should be able to preserve your existing vessels now.

@Oectacan Yup, at this moment, the frequency list only reads the antenna data at the beginning of flight and does not react to any antenna change yet. As a workaround, just switch to next vessel or exit/re-enter the vessel.

Edited by TaxiService

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Announcement

Pre-release 3 of the coming CommNet Constellation 1.1 is available for public feedback! Note that some of things are incomplete.

Please backup your saves before installing this potential-destruction version.

K9c6MF9.png


Link: https://github.com/KSP-TaxiService/CommNetConstellation/releases/tag/feedback.170617

Spoiler

Pre-release 3 of coming CNC 1.1 for public feedback

  • Tidy up the interfaces and their logic
  • Set up the link between antenna changes and vessel's frequency list (Auto Build and Lock List)
  • Can select some antennas for vessel's frequency list
  • Decide how vessel's frequency list should be updated

Things not done yet

  • Configure frequency list in the VAB and SPH
  • Localisation support for text part strings
  • Resolve antenna-data inconsistency
  • Preserve the stock Comm Power combination
  • Several data & interface bugs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick question. Can I set my different constellations to talk to multiple other constellations, but not all of them?

For example, I want to set up a relay system around every planet. I want each relay to talk to each other relay, and ships in-system to talk to their local relays and no one else. What I decided to do was set up a constellation for each body, and put each ship in the constellation for its own body and set the ships to only talk to members of the same constellation, while leaving the relays able to talk to anyone, but what I found is that the relays won't talk to each other, only to KSC. Is this intended behavior? If it is, would you possibly include an option to define which networks can talk to which?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ruiluth said:

Quick question. Can I set my different constellations to talk to multiple other constellations, but not all of them?

For example, I want to set up a relay system around every planet. I want each relay to talk to each other relay, and ships in-system to talk to their local relays and no one else. What I decided to do was set up a constellation for each body, and put each ship in the constellation for its own body and set the ships to only talk to members of the same constellation, while leaving the relays able to talk to anyone, but what I found is that the relays won't talk to each other, only to KSC. Is this intended behavior? If it is, would you possibly include an option to define which networks can talk to which?

Yup, this is intended behaviour because you set the relays to the public constellation only. According to the feedback on the version 1.0, this is restricting the main functionality too much.

I am revamping the entire system to give a dynamic list of constellations per vessel to talk with, instead of a single constellation per vessel (look this pretty picture in the previous post!). It will be in the next major version 1.1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TaxiService said:

Yup, this is intended behaviour because you set the relays to the public constellation only. According to the feedback on the version 1.0, this is restricting the main functionality too much.

I am revamping the entire system to give a dynamic list of constellations per vessel to talk with, instead of a single constellation per vessel (look this pretty picture in the previous post!). It will be in the next major version 1.1.

Well, I downloaded the new system and was playing around with it, but... I don't really like it. I now have to manually switch to each vessel to set their antennas, and for some of my relays that have 10+ dishes that gets pretty tedious. Plus, those relays needed those antennas to be able to combine and have enough power to call home. Now that I have to split the dishes, it makes it a lot harder to get powerful enough relays at the tech level I'm currently at. (And no I can't just research more powerful ones, due to a combination of mods which change the career mode around a lot. That's why I need these relays, is so that I can get enough science and funds going interplanetary to upgrade my R&D facility.)

My original thought was that the constellations were only for organization, and if you wanted a member to only talk to members of its own constellation then you ticked the "Talk to constellation members only" option. I was excited for that because it sounded simple yet powerful, perfect for organizing my network and clearing up some of the lines. What I was planning to do, was set each relay system to its own network, then set each ship to the relay I wanted it to talk to and set it to only talk to members of that network. I thought that would mean that each relay would talk to anybody, but other ships would only talk to their local relays.

Anyway, it's your mod and I don't want to tell you what to do, but I thought I'd at least tell you what I thought and was hoping it did, and that I don't really have a lot of use for it now. It's cool and probably realistic, but just not really useful for my play style.

Edited by ruiluth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ruiluth said:

Well, I downloaded the new system and was playing around with it, but... I don't really like it. I now have to manually switch to each vessel to set their antennas, and for some of my relays that have 10+ dishes that gets pretty tedious. Plus, those relays needed those antennas to be able to combine and have enough power to call home. Now that I have to split the dishes, it makes it a lot harder to get powerful enough relays at the tech level I'm currently at. (And no I can't just research more powerful ones, due to a combination of mods which change the career mode around a lot. That's why I need these relays, is so that I can get enough science and funds going interplanetary to upgrade my R&D facility.)

My original thought was that the constellations were only for organization, and if you wanted a member to only talk to members of its own constellation then you ticked the "Only talk to members of own constellation" option. I was excited for that because it sounded simple yet powerful, perfect for organizing my network and clearing up some of the lines. What I was planning to do, was set each relay system to its own network, then set each ship to the relay I wanted it to talk to and set it to only talk to members of that network. I thought that would mean that each relay would talk to anybody, but other ships would only talk to their local relays.

Anyway, it's your mod and I don't want to tell you what to do, but I thought I'd at least tell you what I thought and was hoping it did, and that I don't really have a lot of use for it now. It's cool and probably realistic, but just not really useful for my play style.

This guy took the words out of my mouth.

Love the mod, love the concept, but it didn't do what I was really looking for, which is just organizing and sorting my relay's into groups so they made more sense at a glance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, I have an idea. I think all I have to do to get the functionality I want is remove the following block of code:

 if (aFreq != bFreq && aFreq != publicFreq && bFreq != publicFreq) //check if two nodes talk, using same non-public frequency
            {
                this.Disconnect(a, b, true);
                return false;
            }

If I can figure out how to compile my edited version, would you allow me to put up a link for others who might want to use it? I can keep it for myself if you'd prefer. Alternately, maybe you'd want to help me learn how to compile and maintain it as a fork of your project. I don't know anything about C# though removing a section is about the limits of what I'd try to do.

EDIT: I don't think I can figure out how to compile it, especially since I only run Linux and I've never used MonoDevelop before. So unless you want to make another version for us, never mind.

Edited by ruiluth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ruiluth said:

Ok, I have an idea. I think all I have to do to get the functionality I want is remove the following block of code:


 if (aFreq != bFreq && aFreq != publicFreq && bFreq != publicFreq) //check if two nodes talk, using same non-public frequency
            {
                this.Disconnect(a, b, true);
                return false;
            }

If I can figure out how to compile my edited version, would you allow me to put up a link for others who might want to use it? I can keep it for myself if you'd prefer. Alternately, maybe you'd want to help me learn how to compile and maintain it as a fork of your project. I don't know anything about C# though removing a section is about the limits of what I'd try to do.

EDIT: I don't think I can figure out how to compile it, especially since I only run Linux and I've never used MonoDevelop before. So unless you want to make another version for us, never mind.

No worries, I can drop and compile it quick. Here's the compiled 1.0.2 version with this code block removed. In my quick test, it seems a relay will talk with its members and public unless the only-member option is turned on.

 

15 hours ago, ruiluth said:

Well, I downloaded the new system and was playing around with it, but... I don't really like it. I now have to manually switch to each vessel to set their antennas, and for some of my relays that have 10+ dishes that gets pretty tedious. Plus, those relays needed those antennas to be able to combine and have enough power to call home. Now that I have to split the dishes, it makes it a lot harder to get powerful enough relays at the tech level I'm currently at. (And no I can't just research more powerful ones, due to a combination of mods which change the career mode around a lot. That's why I need these relays, is so that I can get enough science and funds going interplanetary to upgrade my R&D facility.)

My original thought was that the constellations were only for organization, and if you wanted a member to only talk to members of its own constellation then you ticked the "Talk to constellation members only" option. I was excited for that because it sounded simple yet powerful, perfect for organizing my network and clearing up some of the lines. What I was planning to do, was set each relay system to its own network, then set each ship to the relay I wanted it to talk to and set it to only talk to members of that network. I thought that would mean that each relay would talk to anybody, but other ships would only talk to their local relays.

Anyway, it's your mod and I don't want to tell you what to do, but I thought I'd at least tell you what I thought and was hoping it did, and that I don't really have a lot of use for it now. It's cool and probably realistic, but just not really useful for my play style.

Actually, this is pretty doable to simulate this original function as a new management tool in the revamped system. In this tool, if you input X constellation, the whole list of constellations would be replaced with the X and public constellations, each with the same combined Comm Power of all antennas. If you tick the member-only option, it would remove the public constellation and keep the X constellation. In background, it would automatically update all antennas to the X constellations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2017 at 7:36 AM, TaxiService said:

No worries, I can drop and compile it quick. Here's the compiled 1.0.2 version with this code block removed. In my quick test, it seems a relay will talk with its members and public unless the only-member option is turned on.

 

Actually, this is pretty doable to simulate this original function as a new management tool in the revamped system. In this tool, if you input X constellation, the whole list of constellations would be replaced with the X and public constellations, each with the same combined Comm Power of all antennas. If you tick the member-only option, it would remove the public constellation and keep the X constellation. In background, it would automatically update all antennas to the X constellations.

Thank you so much, that's awesome! I'll also play with the new version some more and see if I can figure out how to make it work for me. Keep up the good work and thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Announcement

Pre-release 4 of the coming CommNet Constellation 1.1 is available for public feedback. Note that some of things are incomplete.

Please backup your saves before installing this potential-destruction version.

Link: https://github.com/KSP-TaxiService/CommNetConstellation/releases/tag/feedback.020717

Spoiler

Pre-release 4 of coming CNC 1.1 for public feedback

  • Reorganize the underlying tool codes
  • Can configure antennas in SPH & VAB but not configure the frequency list due to the dependence of CommNet, not available in the editors
  • Add the vanilla function of a single frequency per vessel with the membership-talk option

Things not done yet

  • Localisation support for text part strings
  • Resolve antenna-data inconsistency
  • Preserve the stock Comm Power combination
  • Several data & interface bugs

 

Edited by TaxiService

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ignore my comment about remotetech compatibility, does it have signal delay? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@The-Doctor: to your last question - no.

Because it's done by a

Quote

GSFsPuw.png  RemoteTech developer

it will be implemented in RT some day - I guess :cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2017 at 8:16 AM, Gordon Dry said:

@The-Doctor: to your last question - no.

Because it's done by a

it will be implemented in RT some day - I guess :cool:

So no signal delay? That's really disappointing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

So no signal delay? That's really disappointing

Signal delay is part of Remote Tech and it's one of the more complex things to program. This mod is basically just a test release for a specific part of Remote Tech 2.0, the constellation feature.

Edited by TheRagingIrishman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

Signal delay is part of Remote Tech and it's one of the more complex things to program. This mod is basically just a test release for a specific part of Remote Tech 2.0, the constellation feature.

is there any way to have this mod with signal delay?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

is there any way to have this mod with signal delay?

It could be done but it is not simple because every UI and computer action has to be hooked.

Take a look at one of the RT classes involved in the delay process. It has a lot of wrapping codes around those actions.

I rather not spend a lot of time on re-inventing the signal delay in this mod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks for a great mod.

really good stuff.

Hey, is there anyway or any setting so that the comm-net does not use stations that require the signal to go through the planet / moon?

this happens with the stock, ksp comms, but i wanted to ask here as i thought if anyone would know, it would be y'all...

cheers and thanks again....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.