TaxiService

[1.7.1] CommNet Constellation v1.4 [5 June 2019]

Recommended Posts

On 8/20/2017 at 6:47 PM, nubfury said:

If a vessel built-in multiple antennas(like RN US Probes TDRS),how can i edit multiple channel?

To edit the channel of each antenna, right-click the antenna part and select the 'CNC:Antenna' option to change the channel. To edit the vessel's list of multiple channels, right-click any command/probe part and select the 'CNC: Communication' option to turn off or on the antennas' contributions to the list. For example, if you want to halve the total power of Channel A, you toggle off some antennas in the window.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017/8/21 at 10:09 PM, TaxiService said:

To edit the channel of each antenna, right-click the antenna part and select the 'CNC:Antenna' option to change the channel. To edit the vessel's list of multiple channels, right-click any command/probe part and select the 'CNC: Communication' option to turn off or on the antennas' contributions to the list. For example, if you want to halve the total power of Channel A, you toggle off some antennas in the window.

fWZnQHw.png

You can see there are different antennas but all of them are using same model.

LMISR29.jpg

and the commnet think it only have one antenna

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, nubfury said:

fWZnQHw.png

You can see there are different antennas but all of them are using same model.

LMISR29.jpg

and the commnet think it only have one antenna

It looks like a single physical part with virtual antennas to me. Can you name the mod contained this part and provide the output_log.txt for investigation?

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2017 at 1:20 AM, nubfury said:

Thanks, this is an anomaly I cannot fix without significant effort. Normally, a vessel is constructed together with some parts like lego pieces but US Probe pack does this vessel construction completely different. This RN US Probes TDRS, like the other probes in the mod, is a single part contained everything, from solar panels to antennas. The issue is there are three copies of the antenna module in the part, and therefore it appears as one antenna module.

 

Edited by TaxiService

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can I just confirm that antennae cannot operate on multiple frequencies? I would have liked to have set up the following kind of Network where antennae operate on multiple (2) frequencies to set up intercommunicating networks to force the path of signals back to the Home World.

6HtqhSG.png

In the above:

KSC operates solely on Frequency 1

Low-Kerbin Network operates on Frequencies 1 and 2 so that they can communicate with each other and the KSC when available

Highly Eccentric Polar Kerbin Sat operates on Frequencies 2 and 3 to communicate with LKO Network and Kerbin Inter-Body Network.

Highly Eccentric Polar Mun Sat operates on Frequencies 3 and 4 to communicate with Kerbin Inter-Body Network and Munar Orbit Network.

Munar Network operates on Frequency 4 to communicate with each other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Poodmund said:

Can I just confirm that antennae cannot operate on multiple frequencies? I would have liked to have set up the following kind of Network where antennae operate on multiple (2) frequencies to set up intercommunicating networks to force the path of signals back to the Home World.

From what I understand: Yes, and this is by design.  The intended solution to this is to have multiple antenna on the satellites that need to communicate with multiple networks, each set to a different frequency.

For your example, I'd probably have the Highly Eccentric Polar sats each have two antennas - one for the 'long range' network, and one for the 'local' network.  (Personally I'd allow the low-Kerbin network to operate on the same frequency as the KSC, keeping that set down to just needing one antenna.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DStaal said:

From what I understand: Yes, and this is by design.  The intended solution to this is to have multiple antenna on the satellites that need to communicate with multiple networks, each set to a different frequency.

Ah right, okay, so this shift more to a RemoteTech ethos of antenna pointing just in a more relaxed way. This makes semi-sense for Relay and Direct antennas but Omni antennas would operate on a multi-frequency basis. I guess the Comm' 16(s) antennas are small enough anyway not to matter sticking more than one on a craft.

Unfortunately in my install I already have the Homeworld and Moon networks in place so I guess I'd have to relaunch all these vessels with additional antenna to accomplish this using the mod. I assumed that this mod was more of an "Organize your existing networks" addon rather than a "Organize your networks by changing the way you design your vessels" mod. A small misunderstanding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could we get a version that doesn't make itself useless to me by forcing me to adhere to its design method?  I will never restart a game for one mod.

Like, you could have in the options a choice for each of those methods you want the mod to run on.  I would much prefer using my omni-directional sats as... omni.. directional.. and connect on multiple frequencies.

Edited by Phraxas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Phraxas said:

Could we get a version that doesn't make itself useless to me by forcing me to adhere to its design method?  I will never restart a game for one mod.

Like, you could have in the options a choice for each of those methods you want the mod to run on.  I would much prefer using my omni-directional sats as... omni.. directional.. and connect on multiple frequencies.

Omni direction isn't multi frequency :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Phraxas said:

Could we get a version that doesn't make itself useless to me by forcing me to adhere to its design method?  I will never restart a game for one mod.

Like, you could have in the options a choice for each of those methods you want the mod to run on.  I would much prefer using my omni-directional sats as... omni.. directional.. and connect on multiple frequencies.

Like maja pointed out, there is no omni-direction/dish/targeting feature in this mod. I stack the multi-frequency on the top of the stock CommNet's 360 degree scope. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks again for this mod.

I took inspiration from something @TaxiService did and removed all Freqs for all the Ground stations (other than KSC) as accidentally happened in a previous release.

I'm currently in the process of role playing the "enabling" of these extra ground stations by having to install a contraption to allow me the "right" to add a frequency to a given ground station. Oh it's been painful not having  fullsignal entirely around orbit, but that will change now.

sTiMlVeh.png

I have to install this unholy mess I created via KIS at each station I want to use. It's only using the tech I've got available at the moment at Science lvl 90 column, but it perform as my "control console" for the Ground Station dish. Hopefully I can attached this to the Squad model using the KIS Ground Pylon structure. Otherwise, It'll have to sit on the grass nearby.

Everything fits into 3 KIS crates (in picture), but I'm still debating on whether to transport it just via plane or prolong the pain and wait until I have some rover wheels and drop something that can drive closer and not worry about having to landing a bl__dy plane on non-flat areas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2017 at 0:47 AM, maja said:

Omni direction isn't multi frequency :wink:

:rolleyes: Yes, yes, but do try not to ignore the rest of my sentence: "and connect on multiple frequencies". :wink: 

On 9/9/2017 at 1:23 AM, TaxiService said:

Like maja pointed out, there is no omni-direction/dish/targeting feature in this mod. I stack the multi-frequency on the top of the stock CommNet's 360 degree scope. 

The point of the comment was about multi-frequency and how it's not there..  Could you add multi-frequency in as an option so that the mod is not useless to many users such as myself?  In the time it takes to talk about it, it could be done.

Edited by Phraxas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Phraxas I am not sure if I understand you correctly. The omni-direction is already using multiple frequencies in the latest version. You can set 2 or more frequencies to a vessel and it will connect in all directions, unlike the previous version of single frequency in omni direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2017 at 5:11 PM, TaxiService said:

Thanks, this is an anomaly I cannot fix without significant effort. Normally, a vessel is constructed together with some parts like lego pieces but US Probe pack does this vessel construction completely different.

As far as i know both the stock CommNet and RemoteTech support multiple antenna modules within a single part.

Also, since CNC is a test-bed for RT 2.0, does this means that RT will lose this multi-antenna feature?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Phineas Freak said:

As far as i know both the stock CommNet and RemoteTech support multiple antenna modules within a single part.

Also, since CNC is a test-bed for RT 2.0, does this means that RT will lose this multi-antenna feature?

Nah, the RT 2 antenna system is in separate development, last time I checked. This CNC antenna system is simpler and more tied to the Part Action menu. I honestly never anticipated multiple antenna modules per part when working in past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like the idea of this mod, but am a bit puzzled as to whether the behaviour I'm experiencing is correct or not. I have had a satellite in orbit around the Mun for a while. It has a built-in probe omni-directional antenna, and 4 additional omni-directional antennas. It says it has a total power of 2M and so far I've just had it set to frequency 0 (red). I'm not launching a series of satellites to expand my communications capabilities ahead of some deep space probe launches. Each comm satellite has a built-in probe omni-directional antenna and a second omni-directional antenna which are both set to frequency 0, as well as 4 dishes, set to frequency 10 (blue). Each of the satellites has a combined power of 22G and is in geo-stationary orbit.

So now I have two in orbit I decided to test it out, and set the Mun satellite to frequency 10 - no signal. I then set a ground station on the "Mun-side" of Kerbin to frequency 10, and regained signal (fair enough). I then turned it off and set a ground station on the opposite side of Kerbin to frequency 10 - the 2 communication satellites pick it up, but it never gets relayed to the Mun satellite. I also tried setting one of the comm satellites omni-directional antennas to frequency 10. It seems whatever I do, the Mun satellite will only receive comms direct from Kerbin ground and will never get a relay from around the planet.

4058889C4A1C552F4086CD915F2839ABB832ED42

I've not done comm networks in KSP since before there was stock comms, so I'm most likely just doing something wrong here, but I'm not sure what?

EDIT: Time accelerated to get some different angles. I'm guessing it is antenna type or range related, as in this situation the communication satellites relay to each other, but not the Mun satellite:

79B71124F945540E481C0CB28919E9708A712A40

Edited by Fourjays

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I really like the idea of this mod, but am a bit puzzled as to whether the behaviour I'm experiencing is correct or not. I have had a satellite in orbit around the Mun for a while. It has a built-in probe omni-directional antenna, and 4 additional omni-directional antennas. It says it has a total power of 2M and so far I've just had it set to frequency 0 (red). I'm not launching a series of satellites to expand my communications capabilities ahead of some deep space probe launches. Each comm satellite has a built-in probe omni-directional antenna and a second omni-directional antenna which are both set to frequency 0, as well as 4 dishes, set to frequency 10 (blue). Each of the satellites has a combined power of 22G and is in geo-stationary orbit.

So now I have two in orbit I decided to test it out, and set the Mun satellite to frequency 10 - no signal. I then set a ground station on the "Mun-side" of Kerbin to frequency 10, and regained signal (fair enough). I then turned it off and set a ground station on the opposite side of Kerbin to frequency 10 - the 2 communication satellites pick it up, but it never gets relayed to the Mun satellite. I also tried setting one of the comm satellites omni-directional antennas to frequency 10. It seems whatever I do, the Mun satellite will only receive comms direct from Kerbin ground and will never get a relay from around the planet.

I've not done comm networks in KSP since before there was stock comms, so I'm most likely just doing something wrong here, but I'm not sure what?

EDIT: Time accelerated to get some different angles. I'm guessing it is antenna type or range related, as in this situation the communication satellites relay to each other, but not the Mun satellite:

Hi,

Are the dishes of your Kerbin comm sats Direct-type? They won't relay any connection from your Mun sat, whose omni-directional antennas are direct. (I think it is stock CommNet rule)

I tested another sat with Relay-type dishes and it connects to the Mun sat.

Edited by TaxiService

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TaxiService said:

Hi,

Are the dishes of your Kerbin comm sats Direct-type? They won't relay any connection from your Mun sat, whose omni-directional antennas are direct. (I think it is stock CommNet rule)

I tested another sat with Relay-type dishes and it connects to the Mun sat.

Thanks, think that's helped me make progress. The comm sats do have direct dishes instead of relay dishes. The reason they are able to relay to each other is because they also have a small relay antenna (500k helio, from Blue Dog Design Bureau). I'm guessing this small relay antenna is out of range for the Mun satellite?

Anyway, I planned put up another 3 comm satellites with relay dishes instead of direct dishes (retains the two small antennas). With the first relay satellite this didn't seem to work (combined power 56M which I thought should be plenty but the Mun satellite's antennas are probably too weak). However, the second one I put up is relaying to the Mun satellite when on the closest approach, but with a possible bug:

EEC9E6D72B1B2B340DF76726F59EE30070CFFD3E

The signal line between the Mun satellite (Atlas III) and the nearest comm satellite (COMSAT-K5) is red instead of blue. However, the Mun satellite and all comm satellites are all set to frequency 10 (blue). A few minutes after this screen, a ground station set to frequency 10 came into view of the Mun satellite - this line was correctly blue, but the one via the relay remains red. Only thing I can think of is do the lines go red for weak signals, as the comsat to comsat links also appear to be purple?

I'm also puzzled by the signal strength (other than it being really low) - is it showing the signal strength between K4 and K5 in the "chain" or is K4's signal stronger than K5 to the Mun satellite?

Edited by Fourjays
Added details

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2017 at 8:50 PM, Fourjays said:

Thanks, think that's helped me make progress. The comm sats do have direct dishes instead of relay dishes. The reason they are able to relay to each other is because they also have a small relay antenna (500k helio, from Blue Dog Design Bureau). I'm guessing this small relay antenna is out of range for the Mun satellite?

Anyway, I planned put up another 3 comm satellites with relay dishes instead of direct dishes (retains the two small antennas). With the first relay satellite this didn't seem to work (combined power 56M which I thought should be plenty but the Mun satellite's antennas are probably too weak). However, the second one I put up is relaying to the Mun satellite when on the closest approach, but with a possible bug:

The signal line between the Mun satellite (Atlas III) and the nearest comm satellite (COMSAT-K5) is red instead of blue. However, the Mun satellite and all comm satellites are all set to frequency 10 (blue). A few minutes after this screen, a ground station set to frequency 10 came into view of the Mun satellite - this line was correctly blue, but the one via the relay remains red. Only thing I can think of is do the lines go red for weak signals, as the comsat to comsat links also appear to be purple?

I'm also puzzled by the signal strength (other than it being really low) - is it showing the signal strength between K4 and K5 in the "chain" or is K4's signal stronger than K5 to the Mun satellite?

Hi,

Can you provide the output_log.txt in the folder KSP_x64_Data of your KSP installation, please? I deliberately wrote the communication info of every CommNet vessel to the log for such troubleshooting.

It seems the total powers on Atlas III and K5 could be relatively low (you can try out this CommNet range calculator) but like you said, this doesn't make sense with these much powers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, TaxiService said:

Hi,

Can you provide the output_log.txt in the folder KSP_x64_Data of your KSP installation, please? I deliberately wrote the communication info of every CommNet vessel to the log for such troubleshooting.

It seems the total powers on Atlas III and K5 could be relatively low (you can try out this CommNet range calculator) but like you said, this doesn't make sense with these much powers.

Think this should be it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ff59f5jctuu27wk/output_log.txt?dl=0

Not sure if I'll be able to check into this any further until mods get updated. KSP just updated to 1.3.1 so loads of stuff is disabled. Tried reverting to 1.3.0 via Steam Betas but then KSP just crashes. :( Edit: Fixed it from a backup. :D If you want me to check anything else let me know.

Edited by Fourjays

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Fourjays said:

Think this should be it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ff59f5jctuu27wk/output_log.txt?dl=0

Not sure if I'll be able to check into this any further until mods get updated. KSP just updated to 1.3.1 so loads of stuff is disabled. Tried reverting to 1.3.0 via Steam Betas but then KSP just crashes. :( Edit: Fixed it from a backup. :D If you want me to check anything else let me know.

The output_log.txt is up to the main menu only so none of the communication data is written to the log. If possible, launch KSP, resume into any vessel and then exit normally. The requested data should be written to the log by now.

(What a fun timing with KSP 1.3.1 release)

Edit: Nice. Both CNC and RT for KSP 1.3.0 are still working in KSP 1.3.1 so no need to recompile this time

Edited by TaxiService

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.