[1.11] CommNet Constellation v1.5.7 [10 January 2021] - Beta 4 of CNC+CNM for KSP 1.12.2!

TaxiService

Experiment complete. After turning the DSN down to its lowest setting so everything needed a relay to actually have any signal at all, I put half a dozen relays around Kerbin itself at low altitude then did the same around the Mun and Minmus with dedicated channels for each- 1 for Kerbin, 100 for Mun, 200 for Minmus. I spammed a load of really basic probes (OKTO plus a 16-S antenna) into orbit around Mun and Minmus, and some relays with a RA-100 dish around the Sun at around Duna orbit on a separate channel (10,000), with the ground stations set to receive at all the frequencies I had set.

Rather interestingly, when I was setting the spam probes up the CNC lines would blink every time I set the frequency from 0 (no signal) to 200 (relay signal) and after a bit more investigation I think the lines are blinking every time a vessel switches connection path e.g. to another relay or ground station. It only happens at higher zoom levels as zooming out would prevent it entirely.

I'll try that develop version now and see how that goes.

Good news and bad news.

Bad news-- that fix didn't fix the problem.

Good news- I have some more information about what seems to be happening. I turned off all the sites apart from KSC and cut the channels it receives to just the relay channel. I now think that the lines are blinking every time a vessel switches its connection path- and that vessel is not visible on the screen.

Zooming in on Kerbin until the Mun and Minmus are off-screen did it, as did focusing on the Mun or Minmus and zooming in until Kerbin was off-screen. Even with the setting changed to active connections only and not the whole network, the same thing happened which ruled out my earlier theory that it was purely down to the number of connections being displayed.

If I ever figure out how to do file sharing online I can drop you the sandbox file I'm using and the logs from KSP/module manager if you think those would help.

Hi jimmymcgoochie,

Are you able to do the 3 points of Logs, Installed Mods & Persistent Save at the halfway of the guideline? It will explain how to share online.

Also, I have few questions to narrow down.

Questions:

1. Does it happen in both Flight and Tracking Station?
  2. Does this video look like your issue? It only happens at high time speed.

Thanks

Edited by TaxiService

On 12/3/2019 at 10:56 PM, TaxiService said:

Hi jimmymcgoochie,

Are you able to do the 3 points of Logs, Installed Mods & Persistent Save at the halfway of the guideline? It will explain how to share online.

Also, I have few questions to narrow down.

Questions:

1. Does it happen in both Flight and Tracking Station?
  2. Does this video look like your issue? It only happens at high time speed.

Thanks

I have noticed blinking like in that video even at 1x speed. Although it does not happen often and I normally ignore it.

7 hours ago, FrostBird347 said:

I have noticed blinking like in that video even at 1x speed. Although it does not happen often and I normally ignore it.

This only happens when there is a break/open in sight of lines between two vessels, causing the network self-refreshed. This is why it flashes fast at high time speed in the video.

Therefore, I asked the user if it happens with his high count of 30 or 50 vessels (so many sights of lines)

CommNet Constellation 1.5.1 is out for KSP 1.8.1

• Ground station changes (e.g. "Jeb's Base" rather than "Kerbin: KSC") can be stored in the CNC setting file for new game saves
  • Fixed issue of all possible control lines shown per vessel in 'All Active Connections' mode

Linky 

Spoiler

What's new?

• Added new functionality of predetermined ground stations in cnc_settings.cfg (Issue #14)
  • Fixed bug of all possible control lines shown per vessel in 'All Active Connections' mode

Requirements

• ModuleManager
  • Kerbal Space Program 1.8.1

Known issues

• Issue #2 - White connections caused by combinations of other mods
  • Issue #8 - Deteriorated performance on a large number of mods

• 1 month later...

Hey! I've heard that this mod is not compatible with my new project NF Exploration. 

This is likely because I subclass ModuleDataTransmitter to do a bit of work on antenna power when a vessel is unloaded. I looked through your repo a bit to see how you handle this and see if I could do something on my end to adjust compatibility but I figured I would post here to let you know before I embarked on anything. 

On 1/10/2020 at 9:15 AM, Nertea said:

Hey! I've heard that this mod is not compatible with my new project NF Exploration. 

This is likely because I subclass ModuleDataTransmitter to do a bit of work on antenna power when a vessel is unloaded. I looked through your repo a bit to see how you handle this and see if I could do something on my end to adjust compatibility but I figured I would post here to let you know before I embarked on anything. 

Hi Nertea,

This mod does not alter or interact with ModuleDataTransmitter in any way.

It creates and attaches its own CNConstellationAntennaModule (link 1, link 2) to every vessel part that has ModuleDataTransmitter (i.e. antennas, probe cores and manned cockpits). When iterating over every part interfaced as ICommAntenna (link 3), the mod reads the stock data of ModuleDataTransmitter for its own use.

I looked at the ModuleDataTransmitterFeedable codes referred and do not see any possible conflict with my mod.

If you would like, I can run with CNC and NFE and debug to see what the problem is.

Hope this clarifies.

I had a look through your repo and I thought that this might be the issue. 

https://github.com/KSP-TaxiService/CommNetConstellation/blob/e77e8bdca44826612e24f47eedbb6b8644c90020/GameData/CommNetConstellation/cnc_module_MM.cfg#L11

If I replace this with something other that Moduledatatransmitter this module wouldn't get added, correct?

Here's the report I got fyi.

On 1/11/2020 at 10:33 AM, Nertea said:

I had a look through your repo and I thought that this might be the issue. 

https://github.com/KSP-TaxiService/CommNetConstellation/blob/e77e8bdca44826612e24f47eedbb6b8644c90020/GameData/CommNetConstellation/cnc_module_MM.cfg#L11

If I replace this with something other that Moduledatatransmitter this module wouldn't get added, correct?

This MM patch seems to add CNC compatibility for me:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitterFeedeable]]:NEEDS[NEARFUTUREEXPLORATION]:FOR[ZZZZCOMMNETCONSTELLATION]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = CNConstellationAntennaModule
	}
}

Edited by leatherneck6017

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Javelius said:

Hello! I have a big problem. Only some antennas work (they can be configured), while others do not. I do not have mods for antennas and stuff, everything works except the frequency setting for each antenna. Please help, I really like your mod!:/

Hi,

Please assist to provide your output_log.txt at C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program

Based on your description, the issue may be some of your mods not compatible to CNC mod i.e. no support of CNC for such mod.

TaxiService, thanks for this mod, first of all.

1. Question for you, as a long time fan/user of RT, but only for the connectivity, would you recommend I use this mod instead? I don't end up using signal delay or the flight computer aspect of RT. I really just want it so that I'm forced to have connectivity back to mission control via satellites and therefore forced to make satellite networks.

2. Does this mod support mods that add antennas, such as all the new ones in Nertea's new NF Exploration? I'm really looking for a reason to get to use those cause they look epic :)

3. I also notice you had the following in the OP:

Bonus: Designed by a RemoteTech developer as a test bed on multiple features of RemoteTech 2.x re-development

So that means there's a RT2 coming? Is that something in the near future or long term future? Is there anything you're allowed to/want to share about it?

Thanks,

4 hours ago, TaxiService said:

Hi,

Please assist to provide your output_log.txt at C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program

Based on your description, the issue may be some of your mods not compatible to CNC mod i.e. no support of CNC for such mod.

How i can provide my output_log? I cant paste in message.

7 hours ago, TaxiService said:

Hi,

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1d6_5WTJuEnVP-HLzovn5YvGTeSW0Dx5g

2 hours ago, DStaal said:

Do *not* paste it into a message here.  Upload the file to a file service like Google Docs and then paste a link here.

Thanks!

23 hours ago, Crixomix said:

TaxiService, thanks for this mod, first of all.

1. Question for you, as a long time fan/user of RT, but only for the connectivity, would you recommend I use this mod instead? I don't end up using signal delay or the flight computer aspect of RT. I really just want it so that I'm forced to have connectivity back to mission control via satellites and therefore forced to make satellite networks.

2. Does this mod support mods that add antennas, such as all the new ones in Nertea's new NF Exploration? I'm really looking for a reason to get to use those cause they look epic :)

3. I also notice you had the following in the OP:

So that means there's a RT2 coming? Is that something in the near future or long term future? Is there anything you're allowed to/want to share about it?

Thanks,

Hi Crixomix,

1. Stock CommNet has the setting of requiring connection signal to Mission Control in order to remote-control a vessel. Without signal, the control is full loss if I recall right.

2. I learnt about the new NF Exploration while ago and was surprised when players start to ask me out of blues. I am investigating the compatibility between CNC and NF Exploration.

3. Yes, there is the development of new RT codebase on the top of the stock CommNet but the pace is quite slow due to how Unity Engine handles KSP and CommNet. It is planned that the first iteration will be exactly RT1 functionality and then further enhanced from this point.

Hope this clarifies.

16 hours ago, Javelius said:

Hi Javelius,

Many thanks for your log. According to your log, CommNetVisualisation is installed on your KSP instead of CommNetConstellation.

CommNetVisualisation has only cosmetic change regarding how connections are displayed in Tracking Station and Map View.

Please remove CommNetVisualisation and install CommNetConstellation at https://spacedock.info/mod/1309

Thanks.

3 hours ago, TaxiService said:

Hi Crixomix,

1. Stock CommNet has the setting of requiring connection signal to Mission Control in order to remote-control a vessel. Without signal, the control is full loss if I recall right.

2. I learnt about the new NF Exploration while ago and was surprised when players start to ask me out of blues. I am investigating the compatibility between CNC and NF Exploration.

3. Yes, there is the development of new RT codebase on the top of the stock CommNet but the pace is quite slow due to how Unity Engine handles KSP and CommNet. It is planned that the first iteration will be exactly RT1 functionality and then further enhanced from this point.

Hope this clarifies.

Hi Javelius,

Many thanks for your log. According to your log, CommNetVisualisation is installed on your KSP instead of CommNetConstellation.

CommNetVisualisation has only cosmetic change regarding how connections are displayed in Tracking Station and Map View.

Please remove CommNetVisualisation and install CommNetConstellation at https://spacedock.info/mod/1309

Thanks.

I looked at the mods and decided to tell you something. The whole problem was only in NF Exploration. What you said (visualization mod) I had a very long time (it does not have a folder). The mod on NF Exp is definitely worth optimizing (you have to adapt your mod to NF). Thank you very much, I hope I helped a little.

Hi @Nertea,

I determined the root cause of the incompatibility between NF Exploration and CNC, which is the patching order of ModuleManager. Currently, CNC patch (cnc_module_MM.cfg) is applied lastly (zzzzCommNetConstellation). However, since NFE patch (NFExplorationAntennaFeedsStock.cfg) will be before CNC patch alphabetically, it will replace all "ModuleDataTransmitter" module with "ModuleDataTransmitterFeedeable" module in all the parts. As such, CNC patch being applied lastly will not work as it won't find any part with "ModuleDataTransmitter" module.

I tested the revised CNC patch (two mutual-exclusive part patches on ModuleDataTransmitter) and it seems works.

cnc_module_MM.cfg

// Add the CNConstellationModule to all parts contained ModuleCommand i.e. the command and probe parts
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]:FOR[zzzzCommNetConstellation]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = CNConstellationModule
	}
}

// Add the CNConstellationAntennaModule to all parts contained ModuleDataTransmitter i.e. antennas, probe cores and manned cockpits
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter]]:FOR[zzzzCommNetConstellation]:NEEDS[!NearFutureExploration]
{
	MODULE
	{
	}
}
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter]]:FOR[NearFutureExploration]:NEEDS[zzzzCommNetConstellation]
{
	MODULE
	{
	}
}

// Deployed Experiment Control Station has internal antenna
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleGroundExpControl]]:FOR[zzzzCommNetConstellation]
{
	MODULE
	{
	}

MODULE
	{
	}
}

//Deployed Sat Dish with huge antenna power
//Comment: Too much work to support sat dish that isn't even part of exp control station's commnetvessel
//@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleGroundCommsPart]]
//{
//	MODULE
//	{
//		name = CNConstellationAntennaModule
//	}
//}

Kindly assist to test and confirm that the CNC patch resolves the issue at your end.

Thanks!

Edited by TaxiService

21 hours ago, Nertea said:

Wouldn't it be cleaner to do a patch such as...

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter*]]:FOR[zCommNetConstellation]
{ .. }

This would target all instances of the module and the derived module

The patch above won't work as it would be patched last after NFE.

Sadly, this patch below would work by CNC patching first before NFE.

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter]]:FOR[CommNetConstellation] {...}

However, the pull request of modifying FOR[CommNetConstellation] to FOR[zzzzCommNetConstellation] was recently submitted by Kerbalism developer to set the CNC patching order to the last, and accepted.

With these considered, it is better for me to maintain a separate patch for explicit compatibility between CNC and NFE.

Hope this clarifies.

----

Updated patch for your reference

Spoiler

////////////
// Own mod
////////////
// Add the CNConstellationModule to all parts contained ModuleCommand i.e. the command and probe parts
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]:FOR[zzzzCommNetConstellation]
{
	MODULE
	{
	}
}

// Add the CNConstellationAntennaModule to all parts contained ModuleDataTransmitter i.e. antennas, probe cores and manned cockpits
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter]]:FOR[zzzzCommNetConstellation]:NEEDS[!NearFutureExploration]
{
	MODULE
	{
	}
}

// Deployed Experiment Control Station has internal antenna
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleGroundExpControl]]:FOR[zzzzCommNetConstellation]
{
	MODULE
	{
	}

MODULE
	{
	}
}

//Deployed Sat Dish with huge antenna power
//Comment: Too much work to support sat dish that isn't even part of exp control station's commnetvessel
//@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleGroundCommsPart]]
//{
//	MODULE
//	{
//		name = CNConstellationAntennaModule
//	}
//}

////////////
// Third-party mods
////////////
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter]]:FOR[NearFutureExploration]
{
	MODULE
	{
	}
}

Edited by TaxiService

So I'm not totally understanding what this mod does. What is the purpose of this mod? Is it purely visual? To fix the spaghetti lines? Or does it actually provide different commnet operation? For example, when you combine 3 satellites into one network, do they get counted as one, larger network? If so, where is that network centered? Or do they all have the power of the three of them combined? I see that it says it turns them into one "constellation", but what does that *actually* mean?

Also thanks for providing compatibility with NF Exploration :)

Thanks for your help.

3 minutes ago, Crixomix said:

So I'm not totally understanding what this mod does. What is the purpose of this mod? Is it purely visual? To fix the spaghetti lines? Or does it actually provide different commnet operation? For example, when you combine 3 satellites into one network, do they get counted as one, larger network? If so, where is that network centered? Or do they all have the power of the three of them combined? I see that it says it turns them into one "constellation", but what does that *actually* mean?

Also thanks for providing compatibility with NF Exploration :)

Thanks for your help.

The main thing it does is *restrict* which ships/antennas can talk to each other.  If you put 3 satellites into one network, they can only talk to each other - nothing else.  The network is centered whereever you've centered it - they do *not* get combined or anything, it's just that they will no longer talk to any other antenna besides those in the same network.  That may mean they can't be controlled, if none of them also has connection back to Kerbin.

6 minutes ago, DStaal said:

The main thing it does is *restrict* which ships/antennas can talk to each other.  If you put 3 satellites into one network, they can only talk to each other - nothing else.  The network is centered whereever you've centered it - they do *not* get combined or anything, it's just that they will no longer talk to any other antenna besides those in the same network.  That may mean they can't be controlled, if none of them also has connection back to Kerbin.

So since all it does is restrict connections, it is kind of a nerf, though if used properly, won't nerf things too much. But it would keep things from connecting to things on other frequencies? And essentially that's it? So I could have a Mun satellite network and a interplanetary Kerbin network. But if I launch a probe to the mun, I'd have to select whether it's trying to connect to the interplanetary Kerbin network or the Mun Satellite network, and it wouldn't be able to connect to both?

So then how would you manage something like a Duna network? If they only talk to each other, how would you tell one of them to connect back to Kerbin?

28 minutes ago, Crixomix said:

So since all it does is restrict connections, it is kind of a nerf, though if used properly, won't nerf things too much. But it would keep things from connecting to things on other frequencies? And essentially that's it? So I could have a Mun satellite network and a interplanetary Kerbin network. But if I launch a probe to the mun, I'd have to select whether it's trying to connect to the interplanetary Kerbin network or the Mun Satellite network, and it wouldn't be able to connect to both?

So then how would you manage something like a Duna network? If they only talk to each other, how would you tell one of them to connect back to Kerbin?

There's a reason I said 'antenna' - this isn't on a per-ship basis, it's on a per-antenna basis.  If you want a Duna network, what you need is to set up a relay satellite with one antenna that's on the Duna network, and one that's on your Kerbin network.  (Or on your 'interplanetary backbone', if that's the way you're setting it up.)  Then all communication will relay through that satellite.