[1.12.x] Kerbal SlingShotter Reslung - Visualize ship and all planet/moon positions at a selected time

linuxgurugamer

@Overengineer1 created this little mod which makes it much easier to visualize positions.  The original thread is here:  http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/128952-105-kerbal-slingshotter-visualize-ship-and-all-planetmoon-positions-at-a-selected-time/&

The new version for KSP 1.4.1 has new dependencies

New Dependencies

CKAN has been updated to install the dependencies, if needed.

This is a very simple Kerbal Space Program plugin to display the positions of all planets, moons, and the current vessel after a selected time interval.

It's helpful especially for gravity slingshots, for example not having to "sweep" your node path across the orbit of a Joolian moon in order to find an encounter. You can simply select the time where you would intersect the moon's orbit, and the plugin will show you where the moon actually is.  This in particular is the functionality I really wanted, so this is why I created the plugin.

It's also helpful for visualizing the position of two planets as time progresses, to better plan interplanetary transfers. There are other tools that will do that calculation for you, but this is a more hands-on approach.

This works in the following scenes:

• Flight scene
  • Map view (from Flight scene)
  • Tracking Station

Note that due to the need to recalculate values for ALL bodies in the Tracking station, it response will be somewhat slower.

New feature:

• Added "Now" button, which sets the earliest time on the slider to the current time plus 1 minute
  • Added "Set End Time" button which sets the end time on the slider to the specified time.

Availability

Changes to original:

• Added list of all maneuver nodes
  • Added slider to adjust time between 1st and last maneuver node
  • Fixed dragging so it can be dragged from anywhere
  • Added code to write version into into assembly

Donations gratefully accepted

Patreon.png

https://www.patreon.com/linuxgurugamer

Before someone askes for pictures, here they are:

In Mapview:

qnKA4e9.png

In Tracking station:

xgSvnAj.png

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 2 weeks later...

@linuxgurugamer this mod looks super useful and I'm looking forward to using it. You're maintaining so many of my favorite mods I don't know how you do it all.

A quick question / feature request. Would it be possible for this mod to show where a landed surface base or target will be for future points in your orbit? I often find it difficult to predict when I'll be in a good position in my orbit to do a survey contract so that the target rotates into position under my path just at the right time for me to fly over. This feature would also help to see if your current orbital inclination puts you in a good position to start a descent to a surface target in future orbits.

No problem of course if that isn't the direction you want to go with this mod. Thanks for your work.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ToasterOvenHotTub said:

Hey HvP

The utility you want can be found in the Trajectories mod. Just use body-fixed mode and you can see your landing point. This also works for predictions after a maneuver node and on bodies without an atmosphere.

I think he may want a combination of being able to see where a landing will be from a specific point in the orbit.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Mysteriously, this particular plugin is responsible for dropping the FPS in tracking station all the way down to 4 for me. Ship's map view is not affected, and there's nothing in the logs.

Any ideas?

• 4 weeks later...
On 9.7.2017 at 1:32 PM, Mihara said:

Mysteriously, this particular plugin is responsible for dropping the FPS in tracking station all the way down to 4 for me. Ship's map view is not affected, and there's nothing in the logs.

Any ideas?

I have the same problem. Performance seems to be effected all the time, but especially in the tracking station.

1 hour ago, Dave93 said:

I have the same problem. Performance seems to be effected all the time, but especially in the tracking station.

Are you saying that you have performance issues even when the window is not being shown?

I looked into this once before, and while I forget the specific reason, I think that there was a reason it was slow in the tracking station.

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ok, a log file please.  that doesn't make sense

Sure :)

The Game runs relatively smooth if a Planet is centered, but gets extremely slow when a vessel is selected, even when the Window is not active. It gets worse when the window is open.

[Huge browser-destroying log file snipped by moderator]

Edited by Snark
Removed huge browser-destroying log file

Hi @Dave93,

I've taken the liberty of snipping out the giant log file that you included in your post above.  It's an easy mistake for someone new to make, and you're far from the first person to do this :wink: ... so no worries.  But just for future reference, please do not paste large log files directly into your post itself.  Doing that can cause people's browsers to bog down, even on a hefty desktop machine-- and if they're browsing on a mobile device, it can be seriously obnoxious (not only sucks up precious mobile bandwidth, but can cause the browser to lock up entirely).

Posting log files is great (and often necessary)... but when you need to post a log, please do it to some external third-party file sharing site, and just post a link to it in the forum.

It's okay to paste log file content if it's not super long.  For example, if you've already looked at the log file itself, and have picked out one particular section that's just a page or two long, then that's fine.  Just don't go pasting links to stuff that's hundreds of pages long, as in the current case.

We're sorry for the inconvenience, and thank you for your understanding.

1 minute ago, Snark said:

Hi @Dave93,

I've taken the liberty of snipping out the giant log file that you included in your post above.  It's an easy mistake for someone new to make, and you're far from the first person to do this :wink: ... so no worries.  But just for future reference, please do not paste large log files directly into your post itself.  Doing that can cause people's browsers to bog down, even on a hefty desktop machine-- and if they're browsing on a mobile device, it can be seriously obnoxious (not only sucks up precious mobile bandwidth, but can cause the browser to lock up entirely).

Posting log files is great (and often necessary)... but when you need to post a log, please do it to some external third-party file sharing site, and just post a link to it in the forum.

It's okay to paste log file content if it's not super long.  For example, if you've already looked at the log file itself, and have picked out one particular section that's just a page or two long, then that's fine.  Just don't go pasting links to stuff that's hundreds of pages long, as in the current case.

We're sorry for the inconvenience, and thank you for your understanding.

Sorry, I didnt knew that.

Here is the Link: 
https://pastebin.com/xDqzEwnX
:)

1 hour ago, Dave93 said:

Sure :)

The Game runs relatively smooth if a Planet is centered, but gets extremely slow when a vessel is selected, even when the Window is not active. It gets worse when the window is open.

[Huge browser-destroying log file snipped by moderator]

57 minutes ago, Dave93 said:

Sorry, I didnt knew that.

Here is the Link: 
https://pastebin.com/xDqzEwnX
:)

No worries about the log.

Before I get into rgis, can you tell me how many objects are in space?  Include debris, and an approximation will do.

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

No worries about the log.

Before I get into rgis, can you tell me how many objects are in space?  Include debris, and an approximation will do.

I started a completely new savegame without any other mods in sandbox mode with only one vessel for testing (performance issues happen in career too). And thanks for your quick replys :)

Ok, I found something.

New release: 1.1.2

• Optimized code to avoid doing anything when not being shown.
  • Moved the GetTextures into the STart to avoid unnecessary gets
  • Changed .version to look at file on Github

This won't do anything while it's being displayed, but when not displayed, you shouldn't see any problem anymore

5 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ok, I found something.

This won't do anything while it's being displayed, but when not displayed, you shouldn't see any problem anymore

Thanks a lot :)

On 7/31/2017 at 6:15 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Ok, I found something.

This helps a lot - but doesn't completely solve it.  It does however bring my Tracking Station back to 'useable, if slow' from 'painfully slow'.   (This with a moderately advanced career - I've got a couple rovers on Minmus, but nothing on Mun yet.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.