My Missions patches & KSP illustrations ! [28/05/2020] Buran !

DiscoSlelge

May I just say that your work is some of the absolute best art design that I have ever seen done for anything related to KSP.

The fact that you've done patches for some of my favorite mods doesn't hurt either. Keep it up!

BTW Can you give me some details on your Ares Ships?

Edited by Frednoeyes

6 hours ago, Frednoeyes said:

May I just say that your work is some of the absolute best art design that I have ever seen done for anything related to KSP.

The fact that you've done patches for some of my favorite mods doesn't hurt either. Keep it up!

BTW Can you give me some details on your Ares Ships?

Thanks for those kind words :) What specific details are you looking for Ares ? The lander is from @TiktaalikDreaming You can find it here : 

For the spacecraft with Apollo it's mostely Bluedog Design Bureau parts, the craft itself is describes in "Voyage" by Stephen Baxter you can find some scale model of it on Google images. :wink: 

Edited by DiscoSlelge

1 hour ago, DiscoSlelge said:

Thanks for those kind words :) What specific details are you looking for Ares ? The lander is from @TiktaalikDreaming You can find it here :

For the spacecraft with Apollo it's mostely Bluedog Design Bureau parts, the craft itself is describes in "Voyage" by Stephen Baxter you can find some scale model of it on Google images. :wink: 

I'd figured out as much about the Voyage ship from your designs (I've also cribbed borrowed my own lander design from winged's RSS Ares video and updated it with BDB parts).

By details I mean the nuclear ship layouts and some of the mission parameters, for example how the Duna One mission works.

Edited by Frednoeyes

18 minutes ago, Frednoeyes said:

I'd figured out a much from your designs (I've cribbed borrowed my own lander design from winged and updated it with BDB parts).

I mean the nuclear ship layouts and some of the mission parameters, how the Duna One mission works for instance.

The Duna One nuclear station is inspired from a book (mentionned in the OP look into the spoiler description) the station was assembled in orbit and throw to Duna with the big fat engine, it was bumpy but manage to make a gross dunian orbit. After orbital insertion Ares lander was release and landed, the crew lift off duna and join again duna one waiting in orbit to recieve another Ares Lander provided with a nuclear cargo saturn V for the next mission. You can see the nuclear saturn V on the Ares VIII patche it was a more easy way to go on duna without the fear of fuel stuff :) 

For Ares VIII (and two other same Ares mission but I never finished patches) it´s the Von Braun way wih the nuclear saturn V and the Ares, the ship is made in Kerbin orbit of three big fuel tanks which are used for Kerbin-Duna throw, after this task the two lateral tanks are jettisoned between Kerbin and Mun and only the central core stay, this one has a lot of stuff to do : make dunian insertion, orbit, deorbit, orbit Ike (optionnal but made during Ares VIII) and return to kerbin and orbit it (too high velocity to just escape the main ship with an Apollo). Both Ares spaceship and Nuclear Saturn used a skylab hab for the crew.

There I hope you got the information you were looking for, excuse my baguette english I did my best :wink: If you have more questions don't hesitate :) 

Edited by DiscoSlelge

4 minutes ago, DiscoSlelge said:

There I hope you got the information you were looking for, excuse my baguette english I did my best :wink: If you have more questions don't hesitate :) 

Thanks for the info! just two more details, do crews rotate through the Duna One station and if so how?

Also what were you using for Duna one's engine? Thanks a million!

Edited by Frednoeyes

5 minutes ago, Frednoeyes said:

Thanks for the info! just one more detail, do crews rotate through the Duna One station and if so how?

Yep ! The station was full of two crews (so 10 kerbals) for two Ares missions, the two crews were launch at the same time into the station because of the large hab possibilities :) So when a crew was on Duna the other one was patientely waiting in orbit to welcome back the first crew and wait for the next Ares Lander arrival.

13 hours ago, DiscoSlelge said:

Just for the record, I suspect Stephen Baxter was copying from the same sources as me, aka North American Rockwell.  Their Mars Excursion Module was the earliest fairly complete design after NASA discovered Martian atmosphere was about 1% of Earth's, not 30% or so. So, designs prior to it are winged, gentle landing pipe dreams.  After, they're all this or a copy of this.  For decades, basically until Elon Musk's audacious ideas.  So, while they are very similar, I believe the craft from the book varies a bit from the NAR design.  I made a few concessions to permit something close to the book (which I haven't read) as I was reciprocating the assistance in Realism Overhauling the mod from @Nittany Tiger's voyager excursion in RSS+RO

But, basically, do be aware, the mod is the NAR MEM, not the Voyager/Ares MEM.

Carry on. :D

On 8/7/2017 at 9:53 PM, TiktaalikDreaming said:

Just for the record, I suspect Stephen Baxter was copying from the same sources as me, aka North American Rockwell.  Their Mars Excursion Module was the earliest fairly complete design after NASA discovered Martian atmosphere was about 1% of Earth's, not 30% or so. So, designs prior to it are winged, gentle landing pipe dreams.  After, they're all this or a copy of this.  For decades, basically until Elon Musk's audacious ideas.  So, while they are very similar, I believe the craft from the book varies a bit from the NAR design.  I made a few concessions to permit something close to the book (which I haven't read) as I was reciprocating the assistance in Realism Overhauling the mod from @Nittany Tiger's voyager excursion in RSS+RO

But, basically, do be aware, the mod is the NAR MEM, not the Voyager/Ares MEM.

Carry on. :D

Interesting reading, though I'm being a bit more free-form with the design of my mission, basing my designs off of some replica mission I found online, (I haven't yet read the actual novel, I just studied the mission layouts and whatnot. Plan to though!)

That said I've noticed that most people go for Titan SRBs for their Saturn VBs instead of the Shuttle SRBs I use. Just an observation.

2 minutes ago, Frednoeyes said:

Interesting reading, though I'm being a bit more free-form with the design of my mission, basing my designs off of some replica mission I found online, (I haven't yet read the actual novel, I just studied the mission layouts and whatnot. Plan to though!)

That said I've noticed that most people go for Titan SRBs for their Saturn VBs instead of the Shuttle SRBs I use. Just an observation.

Hell, most of the time I go out to Duna, it's with a giant Nexus thing, where the second stage dwarfs a Saturn.  I aim for the parts to be "authentic" (not sure what exactly that means for systems that were never built) but the joy of KSP, is that doesn't mean your missions have to be the same.

2 minutes ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

Hell, most of the time I go out to Duna, it's with a giant Nexus thing, where the second stage dwarfs a Saturn.  I aim for the parts to be "authentic" (not sure what exactly that means for systems that were never built) but the joy of KSP, is that doesn't mean your missions have to be the same.

Fair enough!

On 8/9/2017 at 0:05 AM, Frednoeyes said:

I think it's because the SRBs for the Saturn VB are derived from the Titan SRBs.  The ones I use are UA1564's I think, which are 156" SRBs.  I think the SRBs on the Titan III are 128" in diameter.

I thought of using RSRBs for the Saturn VB SRBs, but they are less powerful than the UA1564s.  Also, the real Saturn VB proposed by NASA was going to use UA1564s.

Love the patches and mission ideas, @DiscoSlelge .  Would love to do RSS equivalents.  Of course, my next mission was going to be to Titan because I want to see if Apollo to Titan is possible.

Edited by Nittany Tiger

This is an advertisment from our contractor KCTI

1503581984-affiche-history-tour.png

A new compagny has come into our touristic destination, KCTI, propose to your kerbonauts for a fair price* history tour all across the galaxy !

More poster for KCTI tour are coming, I wanted to make this one as trubute to one of my favourite illustrator Chris Moore, you can see my inspiration for this poster below. The Apollo craft is from Bluedog Design Bureau, I filled the cargo bay with science stuff from stock and BDB to get something close to reality.

Spoiler

1503580871-75789dc6f8b7e5d0a3e1ac599953f

Our spaceship Moon - Chris Moore

I also want to make a special thanks to @minepagan and @PickledTripod for their help with the texte correcting me and increasing his funny level :D

Edited by DiscoSlelge

I wonder if you can do a version of the Ares patch as described in Voyage.  Ronpur50 did his own version, but I'm curious what you can do in your style?

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=35720.0;

I've also seen an alternate version of the Ares patch that I think exists in the Orbiter Voyage Ares mod with a Saturn VB flying through the two sides of a red A laid sideways, and the Saturn VB was going towards Mars.  I might be able to find it online if it's still around.

EDIT: Found it right away.

th?id=OIP.Kaczo8zepMlK6-dcq7Tb9QEsEs&pid

Honestly, I find the "official" mission patch more vibrant than this one.

Edited by Nittany Tiger

4 hours ago, Nittany Tiger said:

I wonder if you can do a version of the Ares patch as described in Voyage.  Ronpur50 did his own version, but I'm curious what you can do in your style?

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=35720.0;

I've also seen an alternate version of the Ares patch that I think exists in the Orbiter Voyage Ares mod with a Saturn VB flying through the two sides of a red A laid sideways, and the Saturn VB was going towards Mars.  I might be able to find it online if it's still around.

EDIT: Found it right away.

th?id=OIP.Kaczo8zepMlK6-dcq7Tb9QEsEs&pid

Honestly, I find the "official" mission patch more vibrant than this one.

I already made Ares style patches, even alot aha you should look at the OP :P

8 minutes ago, Nittany Tiger said:

Yeah.  I saw those and really liked them.  I was just curious what the patch from the book would look like in your style.

But I do love those Ares patches.  Were they missions you did in KSP yourself, or just ideas for cool patches you wanted to do?

All Ares patches were missions, I don't have an album for all of them but there are some :
Ares I :

and Ares VIII :

And for the patches from the book, I prefer the second with the Nasa symbol, the first one is a way too patriotic for me aha :P

Awesome.  I do love intricate missions to other planets.  I would also love to put narrative to my stock and RSS adventures.

I might do a NERVA mission to Mars myself, but I really want to do a Voyage-verse mission to Titan.

As far as the book patches, the patriotic one is the one descried in the book.  I don't know where the other design came from other than the Orbiter mod.  It might have been a custom design.  I can agree based on what NASA patches usually look like that the "official" Ares patch might be a little too patriotic.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.