Buzzard Collectors

Dunrana

If anyone is interested, a new version for KSP 1.3 is in the works. I'm waiting for the 1.3 version of dmagic orbital science, just to ensure there's no strange compatibility issues.

The working list for the new version

New unique descriptions for each size of buzzard collector.

A update to the “hydrogen lovers version”

@Dunrana Why not make the "Hydrogen Lovers version" into an MM patch and put it in an extras folder in your main download? It's easier for you to manage both that way and keep just one mod download.

Spoiler

@PART[dmBusardCollector]:NEEDS[CommunityResourcePack]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleResourceConverter]
	{
		@OUTPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			@ResourceName = LqdHydrogen
			@Ratio = 0.0003
		}
	}
}

@PART[dmBusardCollectorsmall]:NEEDS[CommunityResourcePack]
{
	{
		@OUTPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			@Ratio = 0.0001
		}
	}
}

@PART[dmBusardCollectorLarge]:NEEDS[CommunityResourcePack]
{
	{
		@OUTPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			@Ratio = 0.0005
		}
	}
}

Edited by JadeOfMaar

18 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Dunrana Why not make the "Hydrogen Lovers version" into an MM patch and put it in an extras folder in your main download? It's easier for you to manage both that way and keep just one mod download.

Reveal hidden contents

@PART[dmBusardCollector]:NEEDS[CommunityResourcePack]
{
	{
		@OUTPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			@Ratio = 0.0003
		}
	}
}

@PART[dmBusardCollectorsmall]:NEEDS[CommunityResourcePack]
{
	{
		@OUTPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			@Ratio = 0.0001
		}
	}
}

@PART[dmBusardCollectorLarge]:NEEDS[CommunityResourcePack]
{
	{
		@OUTPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			@Ratio = 0.0005
		}
	}
}

I may do that. I've only ever made one MM patch, and it was a disaster. I don't have 1.3 installed yet so I can't actually test anything.  Can I use the patch you made and credit you?

8 minutes ago, Dunrana said:

Can I use the patch you made and credit you?

Sure. That's why I wrote the patch, to help you out. :) Well practice makes perfect practical, as some may say. You can get much better if you make some more MM patches and share them for proofing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2017 at 5:31 PM, Dunrana said:

If anyone is interested, a new version for KSP 1.3 is in the works. I'm waiting for the 1.3 version of dmagic orbital science, just to ensure there's no strange compatibility issues.

The working list for the new version

New unique descriptions for each size of buzzard collector.

A update to the “hydrogen lovers version”

Great! I now have Kerbal atomics, so I have to get hydrogen lovers XD

Anyway, you should post the KSP version on the title, so people know whether or not it's compatible. 

• 5 months later...
54 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

@iontom  As promised I implemented the Buzzard Ramjet in KSPIE, it will be able to be used to collect hydrogen from interstellar void, above atmospheres or directly from the stars

2LfK9fy.png

Holy guacamole! That's absolutely incredible! It's funny that I was just checking out the forums after months MIA. (Finally built a new PC a few weeks ago)

Does it include a breaking force during time warp?

Cheers!

6 hours ago, iontom said:

Holy guacamole! That's absolutely incredible! It's funny that I was just checking out the forums after months MIA. (Finally built a new PC a few weeks ago)

Does it include a breaking force during time warp?

Cheers!

Yes it does, both solar  wind and drag are applied separately both during normal time and during timewarp.

The only thing that might need tweaking is the amount of drag applied.

drag = ion density per square meter  * diameter surface area magnetic magnetosphere * speed vessel

But this might be too optimistic as it currently allows acceleration up to near light speed. Any help will be appreciated

Edited by FreeThinker

On 12/11/2017 at 1:38 AM, FreeThinker said:

Yes it does, both solar  wind and drag are applied separately both during normal time and during timewarp.

The only thing that might need tweaking is the amount of drag applied.

drag = ion density per square meter  * diameter surface area magnetic magnetosphere * speed vessel

But this might be too optimistic as it currently allows acceleration up to near light speed. Any help will be appreciated

It's cool you managed to integrate the braking effect. and is that a particle effect? i'm off to take a look at your source code.

just a little announcement - the current version still works in 1.3.1. it has a bug for the control buttons (there's two of em,  only one works, and a third labeled science relay that does zip). but the collector woks fine, and there's no unintended function. I'm working on the update.

i kinda lost my inspiration  to mod, or even play, after take-two bought KSP.  having the owner of rrand theft auto own KSP just feels wrong.

hopefully, I'm getting back into it now. a properly working release SHOULD be forthcoming. 

@Dunrana I am playing KSP with Interstellar Extended for a long time now and I like to think that I tried almost every concept that mod offers. What amazes is; I never seen such detail in a part that offers the attention to detail that your magnetic scoop part offers. I remember building solar arrays at the nearest solar orbit possible and wondering "Why the hell solar wind doesn't affect this part?" after seeing my array stays in stable orbit as if nothing is pushing it. To be honest I kinda felt bad when I first saw KSPIE implemented your buzzard ramjet part into itself because I thought this concept was proven not feasible a long time ago (mable it still isn't, after checking the wiki page?). Well no matter; I just  wanted to congragulate you for this part and let you know that I will be on the look out if you make any new mods!

3 hours ago, Dunrana said:

It's cool you managed to integrate the braking effect. and is that a particle effect? i'm off to take a look at your source code.

No, its another Bussard Ramjet part with animation, I combined it with the Oversized Dish animation, re textured, stretched, binded the animation, combined it with KSPIE existing solar wind collector, added drag and simulated atmospheric density and rolled it all into a new part. You are of course free to copy all ideas and rip out all code to create your own stock friendly ksp version

Edited by FreeThinker

16 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

No, its another Bussard Ramjet part with animation, I combined it with the Oversized Dish animation, re textured, stretched, binded the animation, combined it with KSPIE existing solar wind collector, added drag and simulated atmospheric density and rolled it all into a new part. You are of course free to copy all ideas and rip out all code to create your own stock friendly ksp version

I see. unfortunatlly, i lack the abilitiy to open mesh files.  i think I'll stick with the simple but in-elegant solution.

1 hour ago, RexPowerColt said:

To be honest I kinda felt bad when I first saw KSPIE implemented your buzzard ramjet part into itself because I thought this concept was proven not feasible a long time ago (mable it still isn't, after checking the wiki page?).

My understanding is that the latest evaluation is that it's feasible - but not particularly *useful*.  Basically, because of the drag and breaking effect, there's only a very narrow range of speeds where it would actually be able to power itself, and these are fairly slow compared to other theorized methods of interstellar travel.  So, it's actually better in nearly all cases to use some other propulsion method.  (Or just carry your fuel.)

2 hours ago, DStaal said:

My understanding is that the latest evaluation is that it's feasible - but not particularly *useful*.  Basically, because of the drag and breaking effect, there's only a very narrow range of speeds where it would actually be able to power itself, and these are fairly slow compared to other theorized methods of interstellar travel.  So, it's actually better in nearly all cases to use some other propulsion method.  (Or just carry your fuel.)

Well even before reaching the speed at which it collects enough hydrogen for full thrust , it produces hydrogen to reduce propellant cost. Its just a matter of bringing along enough hydrogen to react 1% of the speed of light before it can start running on it own strength, which isn't that hard

4 hours ago, RexPowerColt said:

@Dunrana  "Why the hell solar wind doesn't affect this part?" after seeing my array stays in stable orbit as if nothing is pushing it.

Yes, now I have mastered the force, I intend to apply it to large solar power structures including solar and lasers sails propelled by KSPIE beamed power network. This should should allow you to send probes to  nearby stars.

Edited by FreeThinker

@FreeThinker So it was your work to implement drag force of this part? Sorry for not acknowledging it earlier then, I didn't check prior posts. Well if you actually include this feature in all large solar parts it would take the challenge of managing a solar array network to a new level, wow. Well  I would really like that kind of challenge. Thanks again to both of you!

Edited by RexPowerColt

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

Yes, now I have mastered the force, I intend to apply it to large solar power structures including solar and lasers sails propelled by KSPIE beamed power network. This should should allow you to send probes to  nearby stars.

That will be cool to see! deploying a big solar panel around a small moon should rightly risk pushing you out of orbit, or out of the SOI.

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

Well even before reaching the speed at which it collects enough hydrogen for full thrust , it produces hydrogen to reduce propellant cost. Its just a matter of bringing along enough hydrogen to react 1% of the speed of light before it can start running on it own strength, which isn't that hard

That's not the problem.  The problem is the breaking means it's only useful to something like 0.6c, which isn't all that fast.  Past that you aren't going to be gathering enough propellant to offset the amount of energy you have to spend to collect the propellant.  You can spend the mass on propellant and go faster, for less total mass/cost in nearly all cases.

I think there could be a niche for exploration ships who went on long trips where they couldn't be sure they could refuel, and would just buzz past star systems.  But in general it's an interesting idea that's not really useful in the end.

7 hours ago, DStaal said:

That's not the problem.  The problem is the breaking means it's only useful to something like 0.6c, which isn't all that fast. 

Well that still a lot better than bringing all propellant like the Daedalus which has a projected speed up to only 0.12 c which is 5 times less. Besides that it can refuel when arriving in a star system from alien atmospheres or local sun

Edited by FreeThinker

8 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Well that still a lot better than bringing all propellant like the Daedalus which has a projected speed up to only 0.12 c which is 5 times less. Besides that it can refuel when arriving in a star system from alien atmospheres or local sun

Turns out I was mis-remembering things a bit - top speed for a Bussard Ramjet is 0.12c.  (The speed of the exhaust velocity.)

• 2 weeks later...

@DStaal

Alright, I have calibrated KSPIE Bussard Ramjet drag to a top speed of 0.12c You can go faster by disabling the ramjet. Ideally, you combine it with a  beam core antimatter reactor with magnetic nozzle to accelerate to 0.67c, coast to the destination and then use the magnetic scoop to drag down to 0.01c

Edited by FreeThinker

• 1 month later...

Here is an error message for you to be aware of:

Spoiler

[R&D]: No Experiment definition found with id

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at ScienceSubject..ctor (.ScienceExperiment exp, ExperimentSituations sit, .CelestialBody body, System.String biome, System.String displaybiome) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at ResearchAndDevelopment.GetExperimentSubject (.ScienceExperiment experiment, ExperimentSituations situation, .CelestialBody body, System.String biome, System.String displaybiome) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at KerboKatz.ASS.DMOS.Activator.GetScienceSubject (.ModuleScienceExperiment baseExperiment) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at KerboKatz.ASS.AutomatedScienceSampler.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I mention it here because it relates to this mod, as in I get this message when I have a craft using, atm, standard bussard collector, lfo one.

I will be posting in the other mods about this too.

thank you.

edit. forgot output_log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7il1sqav68j1ulc/saves for BussardCollector.1.output_log.txt?dl=0

Edited by Apaseall

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.