VTech Space Shuttle Program

W. Kerman

SHUTTLE 1.A  MISSION

b11CB43.png

^Here is the shuttle, the Shuttle1. It has a Rhino engine and no cargo to hinder it...

rUK0Ze7.jpg

^The booster is based on the Russian Proton booster. It 20,000 KiloNewtons of thrust.

RWo0vT3.png

^Here I learned a valuable lesson! If a large amount of weight is on a Rhino engine without autostruct (Which is now stock!)... Well, it provides hinge-like function.

7MRqdj0.png

^IN ORBIT!!!!

HPF7Rbo.png

^Orbital picture taking is fun!

6BvGTQx.png

^Reentering the atmosphere at high speed.

NznsSbt.png

^I wanted to land on the runway. Also, someone really paying attention to this might be wondering why I'm going to the KSC in the opposite direction relative to my orbit... I overshot on reentry and went slightly past the islands, turned around, and used my remaining fuel in the Shuttle1 to get back the KSC's grassy fields, if not the runway.

AuykU3g.png

^Rolling along...

rlZDoKr.png

^The OMS system blew up on reentry as seen here.

This was a fun mission! :) 

Edited by W. Kerman
Fixing image link

SHUTTLE 1.B MISSION

MVXh593.jpg

^I knew I needed a better booster if I was going to complete this mission, so I made the Electron booster.

LriP8KG.jpg

^I don't use KebalX, so I made a replica of the Fuel Pod. It weighs slightly more than 40 tons- I still have no idea why.

T4nKnpY.jpg

^Ah, the Shuttle2 shuttle... Only until later would I discover it has horrible stability issues.

wBs9P7e.png

^Here's the shuttle on its booster!

sdYH6KP.jpg

^Even with autostruct, this thing fell apart many times on attempted ascents.

FivO1bn.png?1

^Getting into orbit using the booster.

UYYbOOI.jpg

^...And the standard, "Yay orbit!" picture.

CRmqLIs.jpg

^After 2 correction burns, I released the Fuel Pod from the cargo bay.

XoAMD34.png

^Still had a ton of fuel.

Afbdq2M.jpg

^This was a tricky process, getting out the Fuel Pod and activating it without disturbing its orbit.

YiDVmTX.jpg

^This was my favorite screenshot from this mission.

V7r4PZU.jpg

nWlgnLE.png

^The one thing that really irked me was that I could not get the Pe and Ap screenshots normally, so I had to do this instead.

NCu1gSX.jpg

^Fixing the name of the Shuttle

WYsuhVN.png

^I ended up burning more retrograde to slow my fall to "The wings won't fall off" levels, landing in the waters between Africa and Turkey.

uXZGhly.png

^Unfortunately the Rhino engine blew up, but that was it. Otherwise this shuttle was ready to fly again!

Oh, just for the lolz, I wanted to know how much delta V I had in this Shuttle, so I landed it in the arctic in a different Quicksave-a-verse!

wqhidB5.jpg

Edited by W. Kerman
Fixing image link

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.