Sanguinax

SpaceX's Falcon 9 launch and recovery

I made a SpaceX's Falcon 9 launch simulation with the deployment of a dummy satellite and the recovery of the first stage on the drone ship. I always love seeing the lives launches from SpaceX and I just wanted to do it in KSP so we can see it from a better angle.

I used some mods like :

- SpaceX Launch Vehicles crafts
- Environmental Visual Enhancements
- Distant Object Enhancement
- Stock Visual Enhancements
- PlanetShine
- Camera Tools
- MechJeb

Edited by Sanguinax
  • Like 7

gotta love dat mechjeb :) Btw how did you get that landing barge? :huh:

Edited by Avery616
adding stuff

Nicely done, its a great video. For a little bit more control if you want to fly it manually I'd suggest to only re-ignite some of the engines, just like F9 in real life. (3 engines for the reentry burn but most importantly only the center engine for the actual landing) Looks like Mechjeb did a pretty crisp suicide burn there, I bet this is hard to do manually.

3 hours ago, Avery616 said:

gotta love dat mechjeb :) Btw how did you get that landing barge? :huh:

The barge is included in the SpaceX launch vehicules pack : https://spacedock.info/mod/269/SpaceX Launch Vehicles

1 hour ago, Dafni said:

Nicely done, its a great video. For a little bit more control if you want to fly it manually I'd suggest to only re-ignite some of the engines, just like F9 in real life. (3 engines for the reentry burn but most importantly only the center engine for the actual landing) Looks like Mechjeb did a pretty crisp suicide burn there, I bet this is hard to do manually.

Yes you're right about the engines. For the landing burn I tried to do it manually, it's really hard, I succeded once but with KSP interface enabled and in a non realistic way so I couldn't keep the records for the video.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sanguinax said:

Yes you're right about the engines. For the landing burn I tried to do it manually, it's really hard, I succeded once but with KSP interface enabled and in a non realistic way so I couldn't keep the records for the video.

Still give you a lot of respect for the nice video. These kind of landings are pretty hard indeed. Even though I have some practice now, I could never do it without the interfaces on screen to give me the numbers for altitude and speed.

My comment was in no way meant as a criticism, just thought I share my experience on how the manual hoverslams (suicide burns) work better for me with a more reasonable TWR. (ie with all 9 engines its very easy for me to "overshoot" the maneuver and have the rocket actually going up again before it touches down)

On ‎2017‎-‎04‎-‎11 at 3:02 AM, Dafni said:

And 3 for the boostback burn.

I am a simple Kerbal. I see spaceX, I press like.

Great mission!

Fire

Edited by Firemetal