Portal 2 Stock Functional Robots To Scale

yt72jMu.jpg

These screenshots contain minor spoilers for Portal 2. If you haven't played or finished it and don't want one of the best games ever made spoiled slightly, read at your own peril.

Recently, I have been really getting back into the Portal series, and a combination of my newfound ability to build fairly reliable working stock hinges, and lots of Still Alive, (the best song ever written) has driven me to build these fully functional replicas:

(As I don't think these are quite finished and still need some tweaking, there are no downloads available right now. Expect them up in a day or two.)

GLaDOS:

Have you ever assembled a slightly morally questionable underground facility, and thought it lacked a sadistic android murderer to oversee it? Well, luckily for you, Kaperture Science has you covered with the all new Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System! It is full movable with 3 different joints, one to make the head move up and down cynically, one to raise and lower the middle section in a dissaproving way, and one to spin the entire assembly round in a dismissive manner. The light also turns on and off if she is ever deactivated and reactivated 50,000 years later.

6JiNOoL.jpg

Deactivated, showing the full pose-ability of the machine.

Wk7DQlB.jpg

"Oh, it's you."

Wheatley:

Have you ever lost control of the sadistic overseer of your morally questionable underground facility, and needed some way to dampen her abilities? Well Kaperture Science has you covered, with the new Wheatley the Moron Core. Simply attach Wheatley to your overseer's mainframe, and observe the instant futile results as it fails and she kills you with deadly neurotoxin. Buy Now! We don't recommend fully replacing your sadistic robot with him though, he might get slightly overwhelmed. He can travel the entire facility on his too scale simple management rail which literally consists of one free standing Long or short I-Beam allowing for easily built tracks.

Igvxe3u.jpg

If he needs to be transported to more inaccessible areas he can be popped off his rail and carried by hand. Coming included with full access to kaperture science plugin points, he has the whole facility at his fingertips, shame he doesn't have a clue how to use them. He comes with an authentic hilarious British accent, and is also fully sealed against vacuum. 

Gha7FgL.jpg

"I wish I could take it all back. I honestly wish I could take it all back. And not just cause I'm stranded in space."

"I'M IN SPACE!"

"I know you are mate."

I'm working on a turret, it's hard working on as close as 1:1 scale as possible as there aren't any parts which are the right shape, so I've had to get creative with the smallest wheel coverings and things like that. Downloads will be up soon!

Edited by MiffedStarfish

38 minutes ago, MiffedStarfish said:

Yep, it's all stock, part mods take the fun out of building for me. Im trying to figure out how I can move GLaDOS inside the destroyed VAB, so I can get a "abandoned facility" look. She's just under 50 tons though, so it's not going to well. :(

How about vessel mover?

You know the passing comment about Wheatley being able to operate Kaperture Science Plugin Stations? Well, I've been building, and I made one. It has a stock lift and 2 stock hinges built into it. It is a completely flat surface which opens up and Wheatley plugged in automatically lifts up through the opening doors and docks with no input, ready to be removed, all bound to action group 1. This was the hardest thing to make I have ever built, and I want to thank @Majorjim! for his amazing thermometer hinge which I slightly modified. It's 100% reliable and reuseable. I don't have pics right now, sorry I'm working on that, I'm not at my computer, but here is a download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1egskrb8i388prf/P2 Wheatley Aperture Science Plugin Station.craft?dl=0

It is completely Stock, which I'm really proud of. :)

To use it, press Z and T, then toggle 1 to move up and down. No other input is required. (Note: after one full cycle of moving all the way up and all the way down, you must switch to the lift structure and press 1 on that, then switch back to the station and press 1, as opposed to all in one from the one craft. Sorry, there is no possible way to fix this.)

I like Wheatley's curved rail you made.  'Looks like a nice low part count.  And you sure captured GLaDOS' creepy vibe in the 2nd pic. 

That was a great game; I should do another playthrough.  Was it really 50,000 years?

It's some amount of time starting with 27, so between 27 and 27'000 years. The computer bugs out when saying it. Judging by the level of decay it's probably in the lower area.

Edited by Spartwo

Ok, I finally got the screenshots.

T4t94AA.jpg

"Surprise!"

tLQxb23.jpg

It instantly reconnects with the assembly, so it is totally safe for vessel switching and timewarp.

Close up of the mechanism:

8VFHDCZ.jpg

Here is the GLaDos wakeup scene:

yt72jMu.jpg

This is my new favorite screenshot.

Edited by MiffedStarfish

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...