(1.2.2, W.I.P) Kerbol Intergalatic. Looking for devs!

AR3S_TGL

OPEN FOR IDEAS!

Welcome to the development area of the upcoming KSP mod Kerbol Intergalactic!

The base idea of this mod is that it is a follow on to Kerbol Starsystem, and where Kerbals look beyond the stars and find cool things like black holes and anomalies!

Galaxy

Sector Core

Star

Stars planned:

The Anomaly: An unknown object floating at the center of the known Kerbal Universe.

Kralax: Main home galaxy of the Kerbals. Cool spiral

Tug: (Triangulum analog) Small spiral galaxy

Ax: (Andromeda analog) Huge spiral

Sag: (Sagittarius analog) Deformed cloud

JOO700: (NGC 300 analog) Small spiral

Krole: K-Sector core.

Dok: D-Sector core.

Miu: Guess what! M-Sector core!

Sah: Surprise Surprise! S-Sector core (did I stutter?)

Kernius: (indev!) Nearby red giant

Kieu: Near Kerbol-like with habitable planet (Dreko)

Devs info: Any volunteer devs wanting to help, DM me and I will give you work! I can supply textures.

Credits:

@AR3S_TGL (Idea, me.)

11 hours ago, AR3S_TGL said:

OPEN FOR IDEAS!

Welcome to the development area of the upcoming KSP mod Kerbol Intergalactic!

The base idea of this mod is that it is a follow on to Kerbol Starsystem, and where Kerbals look beyond the stars and find cool things like black holes and anomalies!

Galaxy

Sector Core

Star

Stars planned:

The Anomaly: An unknown object floating at the center of the known Kerbal Universe.

Kralax: Main home galaxy of the Kerbals. Cool spiral

Tug: (Triangulum analog) Small spiral galaxy

Ax: (Andromeda analog) Huge spiral

Sag: (Sagittarius analog) Deformed cloud

JOO700: (NGC 300 analog) Small spiral

Krole: K-Sector core.

Dok: D-Sector core.

Miu: Guess what! M-Sector core!

Sah: Surprise Surprise! S-Sector core (did I stutter?)

Kernius: (indev!) Nearby red giant

Kieu: Near Kerbol-like with habitable planet (Dreko)

Devs info: Any volunteer devs wanting to help, DM me and I will give you work! I can supply textures.

Credits:

@AR3S_TGL (Idea, me.)

How many stars per galaxy? What size? How many planets? All these variables are rather important. Assuming this isn't too much, I will have time to perhaps help you once my other projects are done.

3 hours ago, daniel l. said:

How many stars per galaxy? What size? How many planets? All these variables are rather important. Assuming this isn't too much, I will have time to perhaps help you once my other projects are done.

I estimate around 5 planets, but as this is such a big project we will separate the addons into their sectors i.e. there will be an addon that adds Dok and it's stars and another that adds Miu.

6 hours ago, AR3S_TGL said:

I estimate around 5 planets, but as this is such a big project we will separate the addons into their sectors i.e. there will be an addon that adds Dok and it's stars and another that adds Miu.

I've seen Kerbol Starsystem, and honestly I don't think anyone except @Galileo can match the quality of @StarCrusher96's work.

7 minutes ago, AR3S_TGL said:

I know, and @StarCrusher96 is an amazing coder. He has helped me bring up this mod from the start. Now to return the favor, I am a new writer of his.

I may be able to help you with a few things. But this is highly ambitious, I used to start these sorts of projects years ago when I was new to the forum, I always failed of course and ended up with a group of semi-disappointed asking why I gave up.

I must ask, do you already have an extensive knowledge of Kopernicus? Or are you new? Because this will seriously effect how you are able to get the job done, it effected me.

I ask this not out of disrespect, this project sounds highly ambitious, and I need to know if you are truly up to it.

Edited by daniel l.

This does seem very ambitious! What I would suggest to you is this: work on 1 system and do as much as you can on your own, then when you have something in place for others to see, other people may want to help. I don't expect others to just jump onto such a big project when the only thing laid out is an idea. I was like you when I started my planet pack, I had barely any Kopernicus experience. As I played and tested things, I got better. Textures are cool and tough to get right, but the hard work is, well, everything else. Getting your planet configs to work and function the way you want and getting compatibility with other mods is a pain sometimes. What I'm saying is, get well versed in all aspects of planet making (mod compatibility, Module Manager cfgs, visual enhancements, etc.). Don't have other people do the hard work for you because you don't understand it (not saying you are, just a rule of thumb).  Because what will end up happening is the other devs will stop working on it because of (whatever reason) and then you are left with a partially finished planet pack that you can't complete because you didn't take the time to learn the ins and outs. Burn out is a real thing when making planets, or mods in general. Start small and if you still feel you have enough motivation to make 11 other star systems, then go for it!

*Just for reference: I have been working on GPP since September 1st 2016, so 8 months, and its still not perfect...AND its only one star system. I couldn't imagine adding an additional 11 star systems unless I didn't care about quality.

Edited by Galileo

13 hours ago, Galileo said:

This does seem very ambitious! What I would suggest to you is this: work on 1 system and do as much as you can on your own, then when you have something in place for others to see, other people may want to help. I don't expect others to just jump onto such a big project when the only thing laid out is an idea. I was like you when I started my planet pack, I had barely any Kopernicus experience. As I played and tested things, I got better. Textures are cool and tough to get right, but the hard work is, well, everything else. Getting your planet configs to work and function the way you want and getting compatibility with other mods is a pain sometimes. What I'm saying is, get well versed in all aspects of planet making (mod compatibility, Module Manager cfgs, visual enhancements, etc.). Don't have other people do the hard work for you because you don't understand it (not saying you are, just a rule of thumb).  Because what will end up happening is the other devs will stop working on it because of (whatever reason) and then you are left with a partially finished planet pack that you can't complete because you didn't take the time to learn the ins and outs. Burn out is a real thing when making planets, or mods in general. Start small and if you still feel you have enough motivation to make 11 other star systems, then go for it!

*Just for reference: I have been working on GPP since September 1st 2016, so 8 months, and its still not perfect...AND its only one star system. I couldn't imagine adding an additional 11 star systems unless I didn't care about quality.

Thanks for the great reply @Galileo, you are a brilliant modder for this game and I can only dream of having the same quality addons as you, but the laws of glitches on my computer want to prevent that.

Same goes for @StarCrusher96. I also want to say thanks for replying on such an indev project. I expect the planets to be quite low quality for storage reasons.

• 1 month later...
On 2017-4-11 at 7:58 PM, daniel l. said:

I may be able to help you with a few things. But this is highly ambitious, I used to start these sorts of projects years ago when I was new to the forum, I always failed of course and ended up with a group of semi-disappointed asking why I gave up.

I must ask, do you already have an extensive knowledge of Kopernicus? Or are you new? Because this will seriously effect how you are able to get the job done, it effected me.

I ask this not out of disrespect, this project sounds highly ambitious, and I need to know if you are truly up to it.

All I need as someone that can do textures or teach me how to do them.

On 6/5/2017 at 0:10 AM, Spaceception said:

GALAXIES!!!!????

Are you going to add like a hyperdrive on krack to make this work?

Not a new idea, has been juggled between many other kopenicus modders. Like me and white.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.