Has anyone tried this??

So..im new to ksp. Ive been building in sandbox and have been loving it!!

After tinkering around for a few days my goal was for 2 ships that could decouple from a rocket once i got above 100k altitude. Essentally taking the work out of flying two ships into orbit seperatly. 

To my unfortunate discovery...i was unable to clamp any pods or ship parts to it..is there anyway to achomplish my goal right now??

Im not using a whole lot of fancy mods. Mainly stock with mods to increase part count and variety. 

Thats a bummer. Has anyone had any luck with this kind of thing?

Build the ships separate then save them as sub-assemblies (there's a green tab in your parts section in the VAB and SPH).  Make sure to use the root function to make the root part something that can attach to other stuff: like a decoupler or a docking port.  Then just load the rocket and go to the sub-assembly tab and grab your previously made 2 ships and attach how you like.  Easy-peasy...done it a few times myself. 

By "clamping pods/ship parts, do you mean attaching them from separate vessels to that ship? Do your vessels have docking ports? If not, that's your problem right there. Remember that docking ports can only attach to one another if they are aligned. There's also a "claw" that can attach anywhere, but is mainly intended for catching asteroids. One last thing- when docking, RCS will make your life a thousand times easier. 

Plenty of people make rockets that will lift multiple independent payloads (such as probes) in one launch.

You can even do it with spaceplanes (imgur is down for the moment, or I'd show pics)

This is pre, 1.0 but its a similar idea: 

10321593_10102652838352503_3821428196968

Notice the two pods, each one with its own fuel and engine, and capable of decoupling

You can use fairings too for this.use truce and interstage funktion of the fairing and you are able to shot multiple constructions at same time up. If the payload get to high, you can arrange the ascend and insertion stages radial and not linear to provide stability and minimise woble.

Sandbox is perfect for this because you can Experiment and try out many concepts. 

Be creative and have fun. Kaboom is a option too in KSP:D

Funny Kabooms

Urses 

Edited by Urses

Thank you for the tips. I read about the root function prior to posting. And i tried to attach the ship together with docking ports/clamps and still no go. I did not do the sub assembly choice. Im sure thats where i failed. Thank you fello star seekers. Much abliged. Mod may mark as answered as im not sure how >.<

Couldn't you just stack them on top of each other? At 100k, you are way above the atmosphere. All you need is a command module, fuel tank and a terrier at that attitude. Put one craft at the top. Add a decoupler or two clamp-o-trons under it and add you second ship underneath it.It is going to be kind of tall, so you might need some fins to keep it straight, but it should work...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.