[1.3.1] LonesomeRobots Aerospace: ARES I-X HOYO Launch Vehicle

silentvelcro

Trade you  KoS compiled for 1.3.0, for the scripts you have....It's not official mind you, but it works. I followed some notes from pipakin's edits. As he stated " it's the bare minimum to get KoS running." Expect gremlins. My missiles are making 36+ KM treks out to the island with a plethora of weaponry, direct hits are about 50/50 with 2 meter misses so I have no clue why one identical launch misses and the next hits the probe module (core) of the buggy with the warhead...anyone have any good terrain scanning tidbits, let me know.

You'd be surprised, LOL. I'm just ornery and don't quit.  have tons of scripts and hardly know what half do, alot are called from stuff Ive written or downloaded..I like messing with single launch geosat's constellations and such. right now automated cubes that open and deploy bases are the interest for the day.  I love Infernal Robotics and KoS.

Wow, thats awesome.
But there is a little mistake at your Ares V 1. Stage: Last plans for the Ares V provided 5x RS-68 Engines. I can see only 4.

Do you have plans for an adapter to use the Ares I Upperstage on the Ares V? It was called Ares IV and mainly used for manned launches.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ares_(Rakete)#/media/File:Comp_satV_sts_ares_1126.jpg

Source: Wikipedia

You are right @Cheesecake . When i was making the models i was using some pictures as reference which showed only 4 engines.
I later found out about the 5 engines but it was working ok already and got bored to remodel the fuel tank. It is pretty strong as is. Do you think this is a significant error?
I will let you know about the AresIV adapter.

Are the Tank and the Engines different Parts or are they one part? When they are different parts it would be easy to attach a fifth engine in the middle. But if it isn´t too many work for you it would be cool to have a node for the fifth engine.

6 minutes ago, Cheesecake said:

Are the Tank and the Engines different Parts or are they one part? When they are different parts it would be easy to attach a fifth engine in the middle. But if it isn´t too many work for you it would be cool to have a node for the fifth engine.

They are different parts but i will have to completely remodel the bottom of the fuel tank and that will affect the texturing also.

Fired off your HOYO ARES 1-X Plus ArienVI, Had some issues with the KoS script with the staging but it did fly real purty.I used the CSM and Lander craft on a 3 stage design using 4 of the Ares  1-X solid boosters, a "real engines" engine, I forget the model, and 16k of fuel and 20k of oxidizer got me to mun orbit with just a touch of fuel left, see pic. Landing on Mun however was attempted manually and poorly (Someone forgot the Mecjeb2 on the lander and I don't have a script for lunar landing) killing all crew..sniff sniff. Did I mention she was real Purty. Great work on the models and textures, I'll message you a script when I manage to get time to alter my landing one for the gravity and ISP of the VAC engines. The standard Ascent8.ks script, I believe that is in the KoS tutorial files or something, was used for launch. I'll have to get the landing done and get back up to the module to see if it has the Delta_V to return home to Kerbal. The burn there was not exactly efficient and there was a lot of mass. I've been distracted by making a modification of a semi truck and trailer made by  Hazard-ish. Ive made the trailer sides hinge out and there are 12 leveling "extenders". I've targeted the bottom of the leveling feet and I'm going to write a script to auto level the trailer after it clam shells open to reveal the wicked nuclear SAM Salvo. I've been itching to test those monster missiles, .

Edited by Cataclysmm
photobucket boned me

@Cataclysmm, use the launching script i sent you, it is pretty stable and works on most situations if you follow the rules i outlined. I have a mun landing scipt but it does not manage the flying, it is more an attempt to land on a specific co-ordinate. I will send you this next. The safest way to land on the mun in my opinion is start from an orbit at about 50km. Burn on the opposite side of the general place you want to land and lower your periapsis at about 17km over your general landing area. Start your final burn just before you reach that Pe.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wow!  I've been away from this thread too long. That Ares V/Altair is a thing of beauty.  I'm really looking forward to it.

BTW.  I read today that scientists think there could be water under the Moon's crust.  I can't think of a better reason to go back to the Moon, establish a research base, and drill for water and signs of life.  It's a heck of a lot cheaper and safer than going to Mars, at least with our current technology.  Perhaps we will see programs like Orion and Ares/Altair revived for this purpose.

I am curious as to which environmental visual effects package are you using.  I'm using Andromeda Daydreams, which I really like.  However once in orbit there is little differentiation between the land and water areas.  All land and water areas appear as different shades of sky blue.  The EVEs in your videos show distinct green and brown land areas and deep blue bodies of water.   Thanks.

On 28/7/2017 at 2:02 PM, thomash said:

I am curious as to which environmental visual effects package are you using.  I'm using Andromeda Daydreams, which I really like.  However once in orbit there is little differentiation between the land and water areas.  All land and water areas appear as different shades of sky blue.  The EVEs in your videos show distinct green and brown land areas and deep blue bodies of water.   Thanks.

The videos i posted are from different versions of KSP. On the AresV - Altair video above i am using the StockVisualEnhancements and i never use Scatterer because it slows the game down significantly.
But you should disregard what you see in my videos since i color correct them.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.