[1.11.2] Simple Adjustable Fairings

blowfish

• 6 months later...

This is sort of a long shot, but would it be feasible for a future update to have the normal and expanded fairings as switchable variants on a single part, instead of separate parts?  (Using the stock switcher ideally, or B9PartSwitch if the stock switcher isn't capable enough.)

The fairing has an attachment node on the underside of the payload attachment ring, which is a nice place to put a probe core so that the launch vehicle's upper stage can be controlled (e.g. to deorbit it) after detaching the payload.  There's also room under the payload ring for things like batteries and small monopropellant tanks.  Because of that, I'd like to save my upper stages as subassemblies that include a KW fairing and some things under its payload ring.  But since the normal and expanded fairings are separate parts, I'd need to have two versions of each upper-stage subassembly, identical except for a different fairing as the root part.  Having a single fairing part with a normal/expanded variant switcher would alleviate that.

(Without this, I tend to design upper stages that omit the fairing, and put the probe core and batteries and stuff in a cylindrical payload bay instead, which wastes that useful space under the fairing's payload ring.)

Edited by Wyzard

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@blowfish  Do you have any idea when you will be able to get this updated?  I"m planning my next streaming career (on Twitch) and would like to use this if available.

I would be interested in seeing you streaming at some point(i know it is a bit off topic )

48 minutes ago, Lapis said:

I would be interested in seeing you streaming at some point(i know it is a bit off topic )

I stream Sunday and Monday evenings.  Sunday is playing a career, Monday is either modding, debugging or playing a game.

@blowfish Just an FYI.  I've recompiled the plugin for 1.8.1,and it seems to be working fine.  Other than changing the references, no code changes were required

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I stream Sunday and Monday evenings.  Sunday is playing a career, Monday is either modding, debugging or playing a game.

@blowfish Just an FYI.  I've recompiled the plugin for 1.8.1,and it seems to be working fine.  Other than changing the references, no code changes were required

Did you verify things were working more or less?  I’m away from my main dev computer right now but I already had the reference changes done so I could release.

30 minutes ago, blowfish said:

Did you verify things were working more or less?  I’m away from my main dev computer right now but I already had the reference changes done so I could release.

Yes.  I was confused until I realized I needed to install the plugin as well as the parts folder.  

I tried several different fairings, and went through the number-of-segments on each, looked reasonable.

I did two launches, fairings popped off as expected (nice touch).

11 hours ago, GoldForest said:

@blowfish Any chance for BDB fairing compatibility patch?

It's more than a compatibility patch.  For this the fairings need actual models.  I started working on stock fairings a while back but didn't really like the result so I sorta stopped.

• 4 weeks later...

This might be a long shot, but is there any chance you can get a small config working with the fairings from AIES aerospace? Those were some of my favorite fairings to use. Back in the day I used Old School Fairings to fix the problem, but I haven't played the game since then. Now that I'm starting to get back into the gist of things, I want to know what really changed with the aerodynamics and such.

On 12/31/2019 at 10:18 PM, Delta_8930 said:

This might be a long shot, but is there any chance you can get a small config working with the fairings from AIES aerospace? Those were some of my favorite fairings to use. Back in the day I used Old School Fairings to fix the problem, but I haven't played the game since then. Now that I'm starting to get back into the gist of things, I want to know what really changed with the aerodynamics and such.

I could look into it, AEIS is ARR so if changes to the models were necessary that would make it impossible.  I tweaked the KW ones a bit (mostly colliders).

@blowfish LGG mentioned in some recent thread about AIES, that he was working on compiling a bunch of past community patches, and updating them all for a release Soon™... Would be worth getting ahold of him if you were to consider doing anything for AIES

Couldnt find the thread, but his repo is here:
https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/AIES_Patches

On 12/4/2019 at 7:31 PM, blowfish said:

It's more than a compatibility patch.  For this the fairings need actual models.  I started working on stock fairings a while back but didn't really like the result so I sorta stopped.

well if there is a mod you ever want to make it compatible with, it would be BDB. KW faring bases are still damn fine. Nice work! Finally I am forced to design my craft around fairing bases again. 

Edited by dave1904

Very, very good mod, only use it for fairings.
Is it possible to make additions?
Customizable number of petals?
Change the height of the fairing more smoothly?
To change the coloring of the fairing?
Thank you for your attention and for Your efforts.

59 minutes ago, Craze said:

Would require a unique set of models for each number.  Not impossible but not a small amount of work

1 hour ago, Craze said:

Since each segment is a model I think attempting to make smaller sizes would result in stretched textures

1 hour ago, Craze said:

Someone would need to make variants of the textures.  If someone wants to do that I'll figure out the code side.

8 hours ago, blowfish said:
9 hours ago, Craze said:

Would require a unique set of models for each number.  Not impossible but not a small amount of work

9 hours ago, Craze said:

Since each segment is a model I think attempting to make smaller sizes would result in stretched textures

9 hours ago, Craze said:

Someone would need to make variants of the textures.  If someone wants to do that I'll figure out the code side.

Isnt this pretty much what Procedural Fairings does, tho? vOv
FYI @Craze

Edited by Stone Blue

10 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Isnt this pretty much what Procedural Fairings does, tho? vOv
FYI @Craze

Perhaps, but Procedural Fairings often fall off the ship. And these fairings never let me down. And they have a very convenient ability to reset at a certain height.

I much prefer these fairing over procedural ones, the procedural ones look funny and yes do weird things, is there a way to disable /hide the stock fairing and bases if you have this mod installed like do it automatically or is janitors closet the only way

thanks for this great mod

VG

2 minutes ago, Virtualgenius said:

I much prefer these fairing over procedural ones, the procedural ones look funny and yes do weird things, is there a way to disable /hide the stock fairing and bases if you have this mod installed like do it automatically or is janitors closet the only way

thanks for this great mod

VG

I use janitors closet - it can not only hide parts. but also cut them out of the game.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.