[1.11.2] Simple Adjustable Fairings

blowfish

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Gordon Dry said:

Is this repeatable?  Every time?

Just curiosity, do you have Better Time Warp installed?  Looking for datapoints regarding a BTW issue.  If it is repeatable, and you DO have BTW installed, can you try uninstalling BTW and try to reproduce it again?

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Is this repeatable?  Every time?

The last two times I launched a vessel with SimpleAdjustableFairings I used auto deploy and disabled staging and it still occurred.

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Just curiosity, do you have Better Time Warp installed?

No.

I will try to reproduce again and provide a log, even if it does not contain any exception regarding AudioMuffler and/or SimpleAdjustableFairings.

18 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

The last two times I launched a vessel with SimpleAdjustableFairings I used auto deploy and disabled staging and it still occurred.

No.

I will try to reproduce again and provide a log, even if it does not contain any exception regarding AudioMuffler and/or SimpleAdjustableFairings.

All right. Thanks

The issue I'm looking at is someone reporting that BTW causes sound to go away (??), so I'm looking for other datapoints before doing anything

I have a suspicion - when the fairing deployment force is too low and the faring sides are deployed while under acceleration (by auto altitude feature) and pass the engine very tight, they kind of pass through the nozzle thrust animation and that triggers the issue.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 9/8/2022 at 9:05 AM, donnager fan said:

are there any tweak scale configs for this?

I have a custom set but they break 50% of the time when the vehicle re-loads when you go to launch, the shell will revert back to original size but the base wil stay tweaked. Pretty much happens for any fairings that use SAF that ive made tweakscale configs for. Havent been able to figure out a fix

On 3/9/2023 at 12:35 AM, Astra Infinitum said:

I have a custom set but they break 50% of the time when the vehicle re-loads when you go to launch, the shell will revert back to original size but the base wil stay tweaked. Pretty much happens for any fairings that use SAF that ive made tweakscale configs for. Havent been able to figure out a fix

It's not exactly a fix, but time to implement support. Procedural thingies are harsh to scale because you need to understand how the things works internally, or things will just go bonkers.

Procedural Parts I could support (more or less) easily because in 2018 more or less I had helped the maintainer on fixing a lot of issues on it, and then I learnt how things works on it.

The Stock fairings, however, I'm still struggling. The only workaround at this moment is to build the Fairing no a default size, and only after scaling it. The pain in the SAS os that to rework the fairing, you need to scale it back to default, rework it, and then scale it back. I'm still trying to understand where else I need to mangle the thing to allow you to rework the fairings without this annoying workaround.

But in the mean time, perhaps this workaround can help on the situation?

— — POST EDIT — — 

Humm… I reread your post, and got a detail I had missed… The problem happens "50% of the time" at launch.

I know what it is, it's a race condition between TweakScale and your module. It's fixable - to tell you the true, it's way more easy to fix than trying to support Stock fairings! :D 

There's two approaches:

• The easy way, but you will create a dependency on TweakScale Redist.
  • The hard way. but you need to handle KSP-Recall too (otherwise KSP will screw you the same way it was screwing with TweakScale in the past)
  • The lazy way: I write a Companion for your Add'On, and you just don't have to care about.

@Astra Infinitum, I'm fine with all of three, it's up to you to decide what's fits you better! Let me know what you prefer!

Cheers!

Edited by Lisias
post edit

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/13/2023 at 4:50 AM, Lisias said:

It's not exactly a fix, but time to implement support. Procedural thingies are harsh to scale because you need to understand how the things works internally, or things will just go bonkers.

Procedural Parts I could support (more or less) easily because in 2018 more or less I had helped the maintainer on fixing a lot of issues on it, and then I learnt how things works on it.

The Stock fairings, however, I'm still struggling. The only workaround at this moment is to build the Fairing no a default size, and only after scaling it. The pain in the SAS os that to rework the fairing, you need to scale it back to default, rework it, and then scale it back. I'm still trying to understand where else I need to mangle the thing to allow you to rework the fairings without this annoying workaround.

But in the mean time, perhaps this workaround can help on the situation?

— — POST EDIT — — 

Humm… I reread your post, and got a detail I had missed… The problem happens "50% of the time" at launch.

I know what it is, it's a race condition between TweakScale and your module. It's fixable - to tell you the true, it's way more easy to fix than trying to support Stock fairings! :D 

There's two approaches:

• The easy way, but you will create a dependency on TweakScale Redist.
  • The hard way. but you need to handle KSP-Recall too (otherwise KSP will screw you the same way it was screwing with TweakScale in the past)
  • The lazy way: I write a Companion for your Add'On, and you just don't have to care about.

@Astra Infinitum, I'm fine with all of three, it's up to you to decide what's fits you better! Let me know what you prefer!

Cheers!

Definitely appreciate the response. Its been awhile since i had used my config with SAF so im gonna go and test them in a bit again and see what was happening and ill add to this reply once I do that.  TweakScale or SAF may have had one or more updates since the last time i've used them. But honestly whatever fix would be easiest on you would be preferred. I wouldn't even expect someone to fix something just bc its breaking for my configs but from your reply it sounds like you may have heard of or experienced this issue before as well. IDK much about creating a dependency on TweakScale Redist and when i say much at all i mean i know absolutely nothing.  But I am always game for throwing myself to the wolves and figuring it out as best I can.

Edited by Astra Infinitum

On 3/29/2023 at 2:10 AM, Astra Infinitum said:

Definitely appreciate the response. Its been awhile since i had used my config with SAF so im gonna go and test them in a bit again and see what was happening and ill add to this reply once I do that.  TweakScale or SAF may have had one or more updates since the last time i've used them. But honestly whatever fix would be easiest on you would be preferred. I wouldn't even expect someone to fix something just bc its breaking for my configs but from your reply it sounds like you may have heard of or experienced this issue before as well. IDK much about creating a dependency on TweakScale Redist and when i say much at all i mean i know absolutely nothing.  But I am always game for throwing myself to the wolves and figuring it out as best I can.

Oukey, looking a bit on the code, I decided that adding it into a Companion is the best way out of the problem.

https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/TweakScaleCompanion_Rockets/issues/4

Can't tell you a deadline, but (hopefully) it will not take too long!

Cheers!

• 1 month later...
On 3/30/2023 at 4:06 AM, Lisias said:

Oukey, looking a bit on the code, I decided that adding it into a Companion is the best way out of the problem.

Cheers!

thanks a bunch  looking forward to it. I prefer using SAF > Procedural Fairings all day and will be able to use them even more with working scaling

• 2 weeks later...

Hi !

Would it be possible to make the auto-deploy feature OFF by default, via a MM patch ? 

I looked through KWfairing parts, but didn't find such lines about "autodeploy = true", or equivalent...

Could you eventually provide some guidance on how to achieve this, if possible ?

Thanks for your help ! :) 

Peace

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2023 at 12:10 AM, kurgut said:

Hi !

Would it be possible to make the auto-deploy feature OFF by default, via a MM patch ? 

I looked through KWfairing parts, but didn't find such lines about "autodeploy = true", or equivalent...

Could you eventually provide some guidance on how to achieve this, if possible ?

Thanks for your help ! :) 

Peace

Some parts of ModuleManager patches are case sensitive. A suitable patch for this is:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleSimpleAdjustableFairing]]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleSimpleAdjustableFairing]
	{
		%autoDeploy = false // add or change
	}
}

• 5 months later...
On 3/30/2023 at 5:06 AM, Lisias said:

Cheers!

Any update on this? Trying to upscale a minotaur fairing from BDB for my Antares recreation.

3 hours ago, CollectingSP said:

Any update on this? Trying to upscale a minotaur fairing from BDB for my Antares recreation.

Not yet, sorry. Real Life™ and Day Job© are still bitting. I expect to have an open window for developing on KSP again on December, hopefully on the second week at worst.

1 hour ago, Lisias said:

Not yet, sorry. Real Life™ and Day Job© are still bitting. I expect to have an open window for developing on KSP again on December, hopefully on the second week at worst.

Gotcha, it’s all good. Totally understand.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.