[1.11.2] Simple Adjustable Fairings

blowfish

2 hours ago, Oceanic said:

Thank you so much for this update. Just made this account to tell you that I really appreciate your work. I was looking through the source to see if I could patch it to 1.3 myself but you were faster :)

Welcome to the forums!  Fortunately no code changes were required for KSP 1.3, just recompiling the plugin against the KSP 1.3 DLLs

Thanks for the work you've done to make this a thing, I much prefer these old style fixed shape fairings to the stock system.

But please could you just confirm that the mod does actually work... i.e. That these fairings will shield my payload.

I ask this because the Old School Fairings mod (which also worked to make these fixed fairings work with the updated aerodynamics model) was broken after KSP 1.1 then never able to be fixed.

Here is the last page form that mod's thread:

Edited by Tommy59375

14 minutes ago, Tommy59375 said:

Thanks for the work you've done to make this a thing, I much prefer these old style fixed shape fairings to the stock system.

But please could you just confirm that the mod does actually work... 

I ask this because the Old School Fairings mod (which also worked to make these fixed fairings work with the updated aerodynamics model) was broken after KSP 1.1 then never able to be fixed.

Given that I only released this when KSP 1.2.2 was out, and I just released an update for KSP 1.3 (which didn't really have any changes that affected this mod other than needing a recompile), yes, it works.  No relation to that other mod other than it uses the same models (the part mechanics have been completely reworked).

5 hours ago, blowfish said:

Given that I only released this when KSP 1.2.2 was out, and I just released an update for KSP 1.3 (which didn't really have any changes that affected this mod other than needing a recompile), yes, it works.  No relation to that other mod other than it uses the same models (the part mechanics have been completely reworked).

Thanks!

11 hours ago, blowfish said:

and it works VERY well, thank you

1 hour ago, Tommy59375 said:

Is it possible for one to change the maximum allowed number of vertical segments?  I think in the old KW rocketry had a limit of four or five (so you'd need a wider fairing if you wanted it to be very tall).

It's configurable on a per-part basis, yes.  I figured I'd make it large though because the practical limitations (large number of nodes and parts) no longer exist.

16 minutes ago, blowfish said:

It's configurable on a per-part basis, yes.  I figured I'd make it large though because the practical limitations (large number of nodes and parts) no longer exist.

How is this done?  I tried to look in the CFG files for the individual fairings but couldn't find any setting of relevance.

18 minutes ago, Tommy59375 said:

How is this done?  I tried to look in the CFG files for the individual fairings but couldn't find any setting of relevance.

The field is maxSegments (on the module).  It's not in there because I leave it at the default of 10

35 minutes ago, blowfish said:

The field is maxSegments (on the module).  It's not in there because I leave it at the default of 10

I tried adding 'maxSegments = 4' just underneath the line 'numSlices = 2' but to no avail.  Even after restarting the game, the maximum allowable number of (vertical) side wall segments did not change.  Of note, if I added the line 'numSegments = 4' in the same place, the fairing would default to having 4 segments, but of course the whole slider range of 0-10 was still available to be selected.  Could you send over an exemplar CFG file (or a screenshot) so I can figure out where I've gone wrong?  The link below is the CFG file I modified for the standard 1.25m (non-expanded) fairing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/myyvbxelakhwc5r/KWFairingSize1.cfg?dl=0

3 minutes ago, Tommy59375 said:

I tried adding 'maxSegments = 4' just underneath the line 'numSlices = 2' but to no avail.  Even after restarting the game, the maximum allowable number of (vertical) side wall segments did not change.  Of note, if I added the line 'numSegments = 4' in the same place, the fairing would default to having 4 segments, but of course the whole slider range of 0-10 was still available to be selected.  Could you send over an exemplar CFG file (or a screenshot) so I can figure out where I've gone wrong?  The link below is the CFG file I modified for the standard 1.25m (non-expanded) fairing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/myyvbxelakhwc5r/KWFairingSize1.cfg?dl=0

Oh, that was silly.  I added the field but it's not actually used anywhere.  So for now you can't limit the number of segments, sorry.  I'll look at getting this fixed some time soon.

11 minutes ago, blowfish said:

Oh, that was silly.  I added the field but it's not actually used anywhere.  So for now you can't limit the number of segments, sorry.  I'll look at getting this fixed some time soon.

Don't worry, it's not a big problem!  It's not hard to self-impose this limit (ie. just say "I won't set it any higher than 4"), although of course it would be nice to be able to change the hard limit.  Potentially some people may require even longer fairings (although, I'm not sure why...)

(I've just now thought it would be quite cool to have this maximum increase by researching certain nodes in the tech tree, or along with the VAB upgrades etc.  Not sure if that's possible or if you eventually want to implement something like this at all but it would just add another element I suppose.)

Edited by Tommy59375

• 4 weeks later...

OMG. why I had no idea this mod exists?!

It is deserves more love and popularity, I use PF, but it's just because I had no idea....

Great job! Is it possible to implement shape (soyuz style, cone and so on) switch and texture switch?

Also would be cool to have side deployment (optional) in staging diagram.

Also, there's no sound on side deployment? Still so excited, I need to play with this mod more.

And I never seen mention in any faring threads about this gem. Found it accidentally on CKAN...

@blowfish you need to put it in signature to spread the word. Anyway, so cool, thank you very much

Edited by evileye.x

• 1 month later...

Hi there, Is there a way to make the individual segments smaller? I keep running into the problem that most of my payloads are larger than 1 segment but too small for 2. I also cant even imagine a payload that would require 10 segments at the current size. I tried messing with the configs but all I got was a mess of overlapping segments :V

Cheers!

5 hours ago, Skippy__ said:

Hi there, Is there a way to make the individual segments smaller? I keep running into the problem that most of my payloads are larger than 1 segment but too small for 2. I also cant even imagine a payload that would require 10 segments at the current size. I tried messing with the configs but all I got was a mess of overlapping segments :V

Cheers!

I can look into it, but fundamentally I'm just working with the assets that were there to begin with - any modification I could do would probably not look as good (texture stretching issues, etc)

And I've found that a fairing that's slightly longer than necessary isn't the end of the world :wink:

• 3 months later...

Hey, i recently tried this sinse both Procedual Fairings, and KW Fairings break (they no longer accept input on right click) after reverting a launch. It happens with this to. The only thing iv'e updated is Module Manager to 3.0.1 but now it happens even with the older Module Manager version? It's like something got left behind even if it's just one file.

EDIT: Oh, and why no Crossfeed option? :confused:

Edited by Cratzz

On 12/7/2017 at 4:46 PM, Sandworm said:

Are all the fairing bases also meant to decouple on activation?

Yes.  The idea is that the fairings will auto-deploy (but not decouple the payload) at the correct altitude, then you will later stage to deploy the payload.  But this is configurable - you can disable the auto-deploy if you want, and turn off decouple on stage (this might require advanced tweakables, not sure)

2 hours ago, blowfish said:

Yes.  The idea is that the fairings will auto-deploy (but not decouple the payload) at the correct altitude, then you will later stage to deploy the payload.  But this is configurable - you can disable the auto-deploy if you want, and turn off decouple on stage (this might require advanced tweakables, not sure)

I'm not seeing that.  I'm seeing the bases decoupling the payload simultaneously with the fairings.

7 minutes ago, Sandworm said:

I'm not seeing that.  I'm seeing the bases decoupling the payload simultaneously with the fairings.

For the fairing itself, you have an "Auto-Deploy Fairing" toggle, for the decoupler you have the "Decoupler: Disable Staging" action (again, you may have to turn on advanced tweakables, I don't remember).

I'm interested to know why the auto-deploy doesn't work for your purposes though.  Could you explain that to me?

1 minute ago, blowfish said:

For the fairing itself, you have an "Auto-Deploy Fairing" toggle, for the decoupler you have the "Decoupler: Disable Staging" action (again, you may have to turn on advanced tweakables, I don't remember).

I'm interested to know why the auto-deploy doesn't work for your purposes though.  Could you explain that to me?

Because on long launches I often want to drop the fairing long before decoupling the payload.  Or sometimes I just want to keep the fairing base attached.

18 minutes ago, Sandworm said:

Because on long launches I often want to drop the fairing long before decoupling the payload.  Or sometimes I just want to keep the fairing base attached.

The fairing auto-deploy will keep the payload attached though - only the fairing sides will get detached once you reach that altitude.  You can keep the payload attached for as long as you want after that, at which point you can stage to decouple the payload.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.