[1.11.2] Simple Adjustable Fairings

blowfish

Simple Adjustable Fairings

31BH4R1.png

Features

• Single part fairings with a simple length adjustment
  • Fairings are transparent in the editor so that you can build your payload easily (they can also be opened)
  • Clean, clamshell deployment every time.  No confetti, no fiddling with the deployment force.
  • Automatic deployment at altitude.  The altitude is adjustable and this can be disabled.
  • Compatible with both FAR and stock aero

Requirements

Please use the version of KSP specified in the download.  Other versions will probably not work.

You do not need KW Rocketry installed.  All the required assets are included.

Downloads

Downloads are on Github (for now the KW Rocketry fairing pack is the only one available)

The plugin and fairings are in the same download, but you must install both folders to GameData

You can also download just the plugin here

Also available on CKAN.  If you install via CKAN, select the KW Rocketry Pack (which will also install the plugin)

Changelog

Plugin

Spoiler

v1.12.0

• Recompile against KSP 1.11.2

v1.11.0

• Recompile against KSP 1.10.1

v1.10.1

• Fix transparency not being set correctly on disabled objects (which might become enabled by switching)
  • Fix fairing parts not re-initializing when new data is pushed by another module before the fairing is built

v1.10.0

• Don't modify drag cubes/FAR/colliders if deployed (fixes an exception when loading a craft with a deployed fairing)
  • Group all of the fairing's fields and events in the part action window:
    • Adds two new fields to ModuleSimpleAdjustableFairing:
      • uiGroupName - unique identifier for the group, defaults to fairing
      • uiGroupDisplayName - name of the group to display in the UI, defaults to Fairing

v1.9.1

• Pre-render both drag cubes rather than re-rendering at deployment
    • Fix exceptions and potential physics weirdness at deployment

v1.9.0

• Recompile against KSP 1.9.1

v1.8.0

• Add enabled attribute to model data (default true)
    • Used for part switching to disable a particular piece of the fairing (since eliminating the node wouldn't do anything)
  • Send OnPartModelChanged event so other modules can respond to changes in the model
  • Listen for ModuleDataChanged to rebuild fairing
    • Use requestNotifyFARToRevoxelize and requestRecalculateDragCubes attributes of event details if present rather than recalculating aero properties ourself, that ensures it's only done once per cycle
  • Use better method of recalculating drag cubes
  • Send/listen for DragCubesWereRecalculated and FarWasNotifiedToRevoxelize to make sure actions are only done once per cycle

v1.7.2

• Fix invisible prefabs counting for cargo bay occlusion tests

v1.7.1

• Fix root part fairings when loading an existing vessel

v1.7.0

• Wall now optional (but it won't be adjustable if not present)
  • Add wall base that there will only ever be one of and will stay at the bottom of the fairing
    • WALL_BASE in the config
  • Add cap which will only be attached to the first segment (and move with the nose)
    • CAP in the config

v1.6.0

• Recompile against KSP 1.8.1

v1.5.1

• Recompile against KSP 1.7.3

v1.5.0

• Recompile against KSP 1.7.0

v1.4.0

• Recompile against KSP 1.6.1

v1.3.1

• Recompile against KSP 1.5.1

v1.3.0

• Recompile against KSP 1.5.1

v1.3.1

• Recompile for KSP 1.5

v1.2.0

• Recompile for KSP 1.4.4
  • Add Deploy action for action groups

v1.1.1

• Recompile for KSP 1.4.4

v1.1.0

• Recompile for KSP 1.4.3
  • maxSegments now sets the maximum number of wall segments on the fairing (previously it was always 10)
  • Fix icon setup not working correctly

v1.0.1

• Recompile for KSP 1.3

v1.0.0

• Bump version number for an official release

v0.1

• Initial release

KW Rocketry Fairing Pack

Spoiler

v1.2.1

• Fix deploySpeed field name
    • All fairings get different deploy speeds depending on their size

v1.2.0

• 0.625m and 1.875m fairings
  • Add bulkhead profiles and tags
  • Bump .version file for KSP 1.8.x

v1.1.0

• Bump .version file for KSP 1.5

v1.0.3

• Fix .version file only marking KSP 1.4.0 as compatible

v1.0.2

• Fix .version file

v1.0.2

• Update for KSP 1.4.x

v1.0.1

• Update for KSP 1.3

v1.0.0

• Bump version number for an official release

v0.1

• Initial release

What this mod aims to do

Provide an easy to use, good looking fairings that can be used with most payloads.

What this mod does not aim to do

Replace the stock procedural fairings completely.  They are still useful for interstages, aeroshells, and weirdly shaped payloads.

Known Issues

I've tested this mod for bugs, but I can't catch everything.  If you see issues in the following areas definitely let me know

• Whether the back of the fairing renders when it is transparent seems to be inconsistent
  • Not Tweakscale compatible

Code

Plugin code available on Github

License

The plugin is distributed under the GNU Lesser General Public License

The KW Rocketry Fairings are distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (consistent with their original license)

Credits

Original (old) KW Rocketry thread
KW Rocketry Redux thread

Edited by blowfish

5 hours ago, Jeorge said:

Thank you so much for this! :kiss: I used OldSchoolFairings in the past. Looking forward to future implementations to other mods that uses fixed fairings. Just a question, is the staging by design? I tested the 5m expanded and both the fairing deploy and payload decoupling is in one stage.

Yes, the idea being that if you're decoupling the payload, you probably want the fairing out of the way too.  There are three ways the fairing can get deployed: (1) reaching the auto deploy altitude and having that enabled, (2) going into the part action menu and clicking deploy, and (3) staging

4 hours ago, MaxZhao said:

Great! Thanks for the work!:D Is interstage fairing included too?

The interstages are not included.  But those were always fixed length, and are still part of KW Rocketry Redux

38 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I see this isn't in CKAN yet, are you going to add it, or would you like me to add it?

I'm going to add this as a suggested mod in the CKAN config, once it becomes available

Once it's been out for a week or so and no one has found any serious issues, I'll bump the version to 1.0 and publish it on CKAN.  I'll let you know when that happens.

Edited by blowfish

7 minutes ago, blowfish said:

Once it's been out for a week or so and no one has found any serious issues, I'll bump the version to 1.0 and publish it on CKAN.  I'll let you know when that happens.

Ok.  Let me know when you do, I'll get the KW Netkan config updated to add this as a suggested mod, will also upodate the KW OP

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

No, this is not included.

I'll be updating the ckan info to make this a recommended mod for KW

Not what I asked - there are two versions on this on CKAN... one that is just the plugin and one that (from it's naming anyway) appears to have KW parts in it. If that's the case, KW users should only need the plugin version, yes?

2 minutes ago, Shadriss said:

Not what I asked - there are two versions on this on CKAN... one that is just the plugin and one that (from it's naming anyway) appears to have KW parts in it. If that's the case, KW users should only need the plugin version, yes?

Oh, sorry.  I'll defer to @blowfish for this

4 hours ago, Shadriss said:

You need both.  The plugin doesn't do anything by itself.

1 hour ago, blowfish said:

You need both.  The plugin doesn't do anything by itself.

Thanks, though that now begs the follow on question of why you released it as two packages on CKAN if both are needed? Why not a single package? CKAN limitation? Regardless, thanks for the work and the reply.

1 hour ago, Shadriss said:

Thanks, though that now begs the follow on question of why you released it as two packages on CKAN if both are needed? Why not a single package? CKAN limitation? Regardless, thanks for the work and the reply.

No limitation, just anticipating additional fairing packs in the future.  KW seemed like a natural place to start, but it won't be the last.

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Will this one day replace the stock fairings with this new mechanic? Because if so, that would be extremely desirable. Hell... I don't use non-stock parts because I can't share them as easily but I'm still usin this.

It's definitely something I've considered doing.  It would be a bit more involved than the KW fairings, just because I would have to build the models and map them to the textures (which weren't really designed with this exact setup in mind), but definitely doable.

2 hours ago, MeCripp said:

If some one was going to add this plugin to other old mods is there a tool we can use to get the settings we need to change or how can one come up with them ?

I haven't written anything up yet, but that was mainly because I wanted to get it out and see if there were any major issues and gather feedback on how it was working for people.  Now that it has been out for a bit and seems to be working well some documentation might be a good idea.  I did put a fair bit of work into the KW fairings to improve the colliders (among other things) but that's not strictly necessary.  What mods did you have in mind for this?

2 hours ago, blowfish said:

What mods did you have in mind for this

AIES Aerospace which looks like got nuked in the last forum's bug but you still can get off of curse and also Horizon Aeronautics and also  Launchers Pack - SpaceX Pack V.4.1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Yaar Podshipnik said:

It looks like the 1.2 version crashes 1.3 (not too surprising). I did a quick recompile for 1.3 and that seemed to do the trick. Won't upload the DLL as this doesn't really look abandoned. It's easy to build yourself if you really want to.

It just slipped my mind.  I'll release an updated version in the next dayish.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.