[1.11.2] Simple Adjustable Fairings

blowfish

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, Virtualgenius said:

@blowfish really love this mod best fairing pack as far as i am concerned  but i have a question the 5m fairing style is very different to the 3.75 is it possible to re-style it more to what the others look like or are you stuck with the original KW models 

Regards,

VG

Pretty much stuck with what's there, I have not done any art for this mod.

50 minutes ago, Virtualgenius said:

I wish i knew how to use blender because there is that import tool that Mihara made and they could be remade oh well

You could just create a part that scales the 2.5m Fairings up by a factor of 2. That's essentially what I did when I made the PR to add the 0.625m and 1.875m fairings into this mod: https://github.com/blowfishpro/SimpleAdjustableFairings-KWRocketry/blob/master/GameData/SimpleAdjustableFairings-KWRocketry/Parts/KWFairings/KWFairingSize0.cfg

@Virtualgenius I found my old spreadsheet that I used to extrapolate the values for the 0.625m and 1.875m fairings and expanded it to give me the stats for 3.75m, 5m, 6.25m and 7.5m fairings using the 2-Slice KW Fairing (the ones that the 1.25m and 2.5m fairings used originally with only 2 sides). I've done a quick check in game and they are all showing up and scaled correctly but not tested them in flight.

The configs can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sod328vucuqzifb/SAF_KW_375_to_75_2Slice.zip?dl=0

On 3/1/2020 at 12:25 PM, Poodmund said:

@Virtualgenius I found my old spreadsheet that I used to extrapolate the values for the 0.625m and 1.875m fairings and expanded it to give me the stats for 3.75m, 5m, 6.25m and 7.5m fairings using the 2-Slice KW Fairing (the ones that the 1.25m and 2.5m fairings used originally with only 2 sides). I've done a quick check in game and they are all showing up and scaled correctly but not tested them in flight.

The configs can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sod328vucuqzifb/SAF_KW_375_to_75_2Slice.zip?dl=0

Awesome, I was hoping I could find a 7.5m size config in here, these fairings are so slick. The flared out base after the fairings deploy looks way cooler than stock fairings.

Simple Adjustable Fairings plugin v1.7.0 for KSP 1.8.1

• Wall now optional (but it won't be adjustable if not present)
  • Add wall base that there will only ever be one of and will stay at the bottom of the fairing
    • WALL_BASE in the config
  • Add cap which will only be attached to the first segment (and move with the nose)
    • CAP in the config

Simple Adjustable Fairings - KW Rocketry Fairing Pack v1.2.1 for KSP 1.8.x

• Fix deploySpeed field name
    • All fairings get different deploy speeds depending on their size

(the practical effect of this is that most fairings will have much less energetic deployments)

These will both probably work with 1.9, BDB is starting to experiment with them though so I wanted to get something functional out for development.

I have a somewhat odd request, could you add a deployment sound? The original KW fairings, being decouplers, had a very distinctive deployment sound, which I miss from both these and stock fairings. Would be nice to have that back.

Also, could you increase the max deployment altitude to 95km? For RSS and JNSQ users, that'd probably be better. Alternatively, a deployment based on dynamic pressure, MJ-style, could be a useful option.

12 hours ago, Dragon01 said:

I have a somewhat odd request, could you add a deployment sound? The original KW fairings, being decouplers, had a very distinctive deployment sound, which I miss from both these and stock fairings. Would be nice to have that back.

Seems reasonable.  Create a github issue.

12 hours ago, Dragon01 said:

Also, could you increase the max deployment altitude to 95km? For RSS and JNSQ users, that'd probably be better. Alternatively, a deployment based on dynamic pressure, MJ-style, could be a useful option.

The maximum should be auto-adjusting to the atmosphere height.  Is that not working?

6 minutes ago, blowfish said:

The maximum should be auto-adjusting to the atmosphere height.  Is that not working?

It does for me in my JNSQ game. Would be nice to have a config patch to set the default deploy height. I didn't see anything in the part files, figured it was hardcoded into the mod.

edit: default deploy height, not segments

Edited by leatherneck6017

2 minutes ago, leatherneck6017 said:

It does for me in my JNSQ game. Would be nice to have a config patch to set the default height. I didn't see anything in the part files, figured it was hardcoded into the mod.

So it is working then?

The default deployment height is also calculated to be 75% of the atmosphere height.  But that might need some tuning, it was determined base on stock (where you're not going very fast in the upper atmosphere) and RSS (where the atmosphere's pressure curve is extended up pretty far).

2 minutes ago, blowfish said:

So it is working then?

The default deployment height is also calculated to be 75% of the atmosphere height.  But that might need some tuning, it was determined base on stock (where you're not going very fast in the upper atmosphere) and RSS (where the atmosphere's pressure curve is extended up pretty far).

It's working fine for me. Copy that on the atmo height. In JNSQ it's set to 65 which *usually* works out OK.

Could I get some suggestions on what I need to do differently when retrofitting SAF to an existing fairing?  I'm messing with the very old DECQ Angara mod, which had separate fairing parts.

(KSP version 1.8.1, SAF version 1.7.2)

I've got this in the config (showing MODEL and the SAF nodes only):

Spoiler

MODEL
{
	model = ANGARA/URM2DEC
	scale = 0.64, 0.64, 0.64
}
MODEL
{
	model = ANGARA/FAIRING_11P
	scale = 0.64, 0.64, 0.64
	//position = 0.995, 0.650, 0
	rotation = 0,90,0
}

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleSimpleAdjustableFairing

segmentLength = 1.25
	numSlices = 2
	maxSegments = 0
	scale = 0.64

deploySpeed = 5

shieldingCenter = 0, 0.888645, 0
	shieldingBaseRadius = 0.888645

editorOpenOffset = 5, 0, 0

CONE
	{
		transformName = FAIRING 1.1P
		mass = 0.05
		CoM = 0.4, 0.5, 0
		rootOffset = 0, 0.65, 0
	}
}

The CONE transform is the first named transform that's unique between the two models, FWIW.  The shielding center/radius and the CoM value for the CONE are copy-pasted from an existing working fairing.

In the VAB, the fairings appear on the 'front' and 'back' of the adapter, not on the sides (even if I remove the rotation field from the fairing's MODEL node), but when I Open them in the VAB or deploy them in flight, they fling off to the sides.  The KW Rocketry fairings appear on the sides, and eject to the sides, so I assume it's something peculiar with the Angara fairings.

What should I do to get the fairings to appear on the sides, not the front/back?

oFLx15.jpg

@MOARdV I could be way off, but did you try the 'rotation = ' *oustide* the MODEL{ }? Rotating *inside* the model node only affects the model itself. Anything *inside* the MODEL{}, only affects the model itself, and *NOT* the attachment nodes. thats why resacleFactor = is always *outside*: it scales the model *and* the nodes (position) along with it.

Edited by Stone Blue

On 3/18/2020 at 11:20 AM, MOARdV said:

Could I get some suggestions on what I need to do differently when retrofitting SAF to an existing fairing?  I'm messing with the very old DECQ Angara mod, which had separate fairing parts.

The position it opens to in the editor is set by editorOpenOffset (accepts a Vector3).  The deploy direction in flight is calculated based on the center of mass, so make sure that's set correctly.

12 minutes ago, blowfish said:

The position it opens to in the editor is set by editorOpenOffset (accepts a Vector3).  The deploy direction in flight is calculated based on the center of mass, so make sure that's set correctly.

Does editorOpenOffset also control the direction the fairings go when they deploy?

EDIT: Derp, you just said deploy direction is based on CoM.  Sorry.  Let me go revisit those values first.

EDIT 2: Yes, changing the CoM from X direction to Z direction fixes that element.  Thank you for the info.

Edited by MOARdV

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.