Petition to name the first Dragon Capsule "Jebadiah Kerman"

Hey KSP community! 

There is a petition going around right now to name the first Dragon Capusle "Jebediah Kerman". Sign it here: 

https://www.change.org/p/elon-musk-name-the-first-manned-dragon-spacecraft-jebediah-kerman?utm_medium=email&utm_source=notification&utm_campaign=petition_signer_receipt_b&share_context=signature_receipt&recruiter=708614663

Lets do this!

Disclaimer: I did not make this petition, I just found it on the KSP reddit (reddit.com/r/kerbalspaceprogram).

Edited by Benjamin Kerman

14 hours ago, wumpus said:

Elon Musk will take one look of that, consider just how often Jeb's rockets explode, and dump the idea for a better name.

Wasn't he the one that pioneered the term "rapid unplanned disassembly"?

20 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

There's a good portion of the world that's never even heard of KSP; much less Jebediah Kerman. Also, this is going to be a multi-million dollar rocket. Why would they name it after a video game character?

I'd never heard of the Culture novels before SpaceX...

8 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

There's a good portion of the world that's never even heard of KSP; much less Jebediah Kerman.

And we cannot but be seriously concerned by this.

Also, this is going to be a multi-million dollar rocket. Why would they name it after a video game character?

huuuuhhhh?

Just Read the Instructions and Of Course I Still Love You?

All real life rockets have names of greek, roman gods/words or other divine mythological fellas.

Of real life rockets the dragon capsule is part of mankind its first reusable space transport system.

How absolutely unfitting would it be then to name if after Jebediah instead of a supposed super deity from the past.
Finally after decades of hard work we came up with a reusable pod, more modern and high tech then all the other crew capsules before it. And you want to name it Jebediah Kerman?
A pixelated green goblin that smiles as if hes on nitrous oxide 24/7. A fella that is probably the most tortured and mortally abused kerbal out there considering how often this guy died and survived re-entry and such.

I mean how far has humanity sunk? To idolize a green computer animated goblin to be praised over greater names such as Atlas or Apollo. Is that the same mentality that makes you buy a ticket to watch Madonna live or something?

8 hours ago, Razorforce7 said:

All real life rockets have names of greek, roman gods/words or other divine mythological fellas.

Of real life rockets the dragon capsule is part of mankind its first reusable space transport system.

How absolutely unfitting would it be then to name if after Jebediah instead of a supposed super deity from the past.
Finally after decades of hard work we came up with a reusable pod, more modern and high tech then all the other crew capsules before it. And you want to name it Jebediah Kerman?
A pixelated green goblin that smiles as if hes on nitrous oxide 24/7. A fella that is probably the most tortured and mortally abused kerbal out there considering how often this guy died and survived re-entry and such.

I mean how far has humanity sunk? To idolize a green computer animated goblin to be praised over greater names such as Atlas or Apollo. Is that the same mentality that makes you buy a ticket to watch Madonna live or something?

The Apollo 10 capsule was named Charlie Brown. And Elon wants to name the first ITS the Heart of Gold (from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy). And the Falcon series of rockets is named after the Millennium Falcon from Star Wars.

For a class of ships, I agree a more professional name would probably be better. But for individual ships, I see no reason to hold back. If you're gonna be living in that tin can for months or years, you've damn well earned the right to call it what you want. :)

Edited by Mitchz95

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.