Benjamin Kerman

Petition to name the first Dragon Capsule "Jebadiah Kerman"

Posted (edited)

Hey KSP community! 

There is a petition going around right now to name the first Dragon Capusle "Jebediah Kerman". Sign it here: 

https://www.change.org/p/elon-musk-name-the-first-manned-dragon-spacecraft-jebediah-kerman?utm_medium=email&utm_source=notification&utm_campaign=petition_signer_receipt_b&share_context=signature_receipt&recruiter=708614663

Lets do this!

Disclaimer: I did not make this petition, I just found it on the KSP reddit (reddit.com/r/kerbalspaceprogram).

Edited by Benjamin Kerman

kerbiloid    2086

Authors of the petition presume that faces of the Dragon crew will look like the trio on KSP splashscreen? Or that chief engineer will wear a combat helmet aslant?

wumpus    483

Elon Musk will take one look of that, consider just how often Jeb's rockets explode, and dump the idea for a better name.

Mitchz95    623
14 hours ago, wumpus said:

Elon Musk will take one look of that, consider just how often Jeb's rockets explode, and dump the idea for a better name.

Wasn't he the one that pioneered the term "rapid unplanned disassembly"?

Nibb31    2348
6 hours ago, Mitchz95 said:

Wasn't he the one that pioneered the term "rapid unplanned disassembly"?

No he wasn't. It's been around for decades.

kerbiloid    2086

As they have cloned the KSC from KSP to the IRL, they just must marry honor the KSP heroes.

monstah    2233

Considering his two barges are named after literary ships, and that he has stated "KSP is awesome", I don't see why he wouldn't at least consider.

ZooNamedGames    2355

I reject this petition and demand it be named Valentina Kerman. She is better and deserves it.

DarkOwl57    1659

There's a good portion of the world that's never even heard of KSP; much less Jebediah Kerman. Also, this is going to be a multi-million dollar rocket. Why would they name it after a video game character?

Mitchz95    623
20 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

There's a good portion of the world that's never even heard of KSP; much less Jebediah Kerman. Also, this is going to be a multi-million dollar rocket. Why would they name it after a video game character?

I'd never heard of the Culture novels before SpaceX...

DarkOwl57    1659
3 minutes ago, Mitchz95 said:

huuuuhhhh?

kerbiloid    2086
8 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

There's a good portion of the world that's never even heard of KSP; much less Jebediah Kerman.

And we cannot but be seriously concerned by this.

Also, this is going to be a multi-million dollar rocket. Why would they name it after a video game character?

huuuuhhhh?

Just Read the Instructions and Of Course I Still Love You?

Razorforce7    59

All real life rockets have names of greek, roman gods/words or other divine mythological fellas.

Of real life rockets the dragon capsule is part of mankind its first reusable space transport system.

How absolutely unfitting would it be then to name if after Jebediah instead of a supposed super deity from the past.
Finally after decades of hard work we came up with a reusable pod, more modern and high tech then all the other crew capsules before it. And you want to name it Jebediah Kerman?
A pixelated green goblin that smiles as if hes on nitrous oxide 24/7. A fella that is probably the most tortured and mortally abused kerbal out there considering how often this guy died and survived re-entry and such.

I mean how far has humanity sunk? To idolize a green computer animated goblin to be praised over greater names such as Atlas or Apollo. Is that the same mentality that makes you buy a ticket to watch Madonna live or something?

kerbiloid    2086
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Razorforce7 said:

All real life rockets have names of greek, roman gods/words or other divine mythological fellas.

They gods especially dislike when one calls them "fellas". "Comrades", maybe "colleagues"...

P.S.
Aggregat A2 were called Max und Moritz.

Spoiler

MaxUndMoritzFarbe_von_WilhelmBusch.JPEG

Edited by kerbiloid

Mitchz95    623
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Razorforce7 said:

Of real life rockets the dragon capsule is part of mankind its first reusable space transport system.

How absolutely unfitting would it be then to name if after Jebediah instead of a supposed super deity from the past.
Finally after decades of hard work we came up with a reusable pod, more modern and high tech then all the other crew capsules before it. And you want to name it Jebediah Kerman?
A pixelated green goblin that smiles as if hes on nitrous oxide 24/7. A fella that is probably the most tortured and mortally abused kerbal out there considering how often this guy died and survived re-entry and such.

I mean how far has humanity sunk? To idolize a green computer animated goblin to be praised over greater names such as Atlas or Apollo. Is that the same mentality that makes you buy a ticket to watch Madonna live or something?

The Apollo 10 capsule was named Charlie Brown. And Elon wants to name the first ITS the Heart of Gold (from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy). And the Falcon series of rockets is named after the Millennium Falcon from Star Wars.

For a class of ships, I agree a more professional name would probably be better. But for individual ships, I see no reason to hold back. If you're gonna be living in that tin can for months or years, you've damn well earned the right to call it what you want. :)

Edited by Mitchz95

Green Baron    948
Posted (edited)

Tell me when it starts and if it passes over the Canaries, so i can take shelter from the whale and the bowl of petunias.

Oh ! The whale is already here ! Now *that* was improbable ...

Edited by Green Baron

Piscator    17

I was about to suggest calling it "Puff (the Magic Dragon)", but then I read that's where the name originally came from. Doesn't seem very surprising in retrospect.

kerbiloid    2086

Gemini-3 was named Molly Brown, after a musicle character.

Brent Kerman    236

3 to 500. This needs shared on the Daily Kerbal!

Gargamel    294
On 4/17/2017 at 4:49 PM, Mitchz95 said:

Never heard of them until right now. 

tater    5816

Phil Bono would be more deserving of something named after him by either SpaceX or BO at some point when they fly to orbit.