KSP Weekly: When things start to take shape

SQUAD

1 minute ago, Kerbart said:

I like the concept but the rover looks huge compared to the lander. How are you going to get it there? A separate lander would not be in line withe the "making history" theme.

I think it's the perspective.  Notice the battery on the rover for scale as no banana is present.

2 hours ago, Skylon said:

Yeah, I see it now. 

But what is the base those rover seats are on?

Indeed. What are the seats on? Could it be new parts?

6 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

I like the concept but the rover looks huge compared to the lander. How are you going to get it there? A separate lander would not be in line withe the "making history" theme.

A good question. How are you going to get it there? You will have to wait and see.

Just now, 0111narwhalz said:

Both batteries are roughly the same apparent size.

That's because they're the same part.

Spoiler

What I mean is, seeing the batteries in the scene gives me the impression the rover is roughing 1.25m in size.  So, similar to the LEM.

15 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

That's because they're the same part.

What I mean is, seeing the batteries in the scene gives me the impression the rover is roughing 1.25m in size.  So, similar to the LEM.

The impression you gave was that the rover's large size was due to some extreme of perspective. However, because the objects of equal absolute size have the same apparent size, there is no extreme of perspective, and conclusions relating to the rover's large size compared to the lander are valid.

8 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

The impression you gave was that the rover's large size was due to some extreme of perspective. However, because the objects of equal absolute size have the same apparent size, there is no extreme of perspective, and conclusions relating to the rover's large size compared to the lander are valid.

Not that I really want to enter into the debate here. But I'd take another look. Maybe compare another part that appears on both vessels.. say an antenna?
There is perspective playing with your eyes here.

56 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

Not that I really want to enter into the debate here. But I'd take another look. Maybe compare another part that appears on both vessels.. say an antenna?
There is perspective playing with your eyes here.

Hm. Best guess I can come up with is that we're getting a folding part, but one that only allows for surface attached parts, no nodes, which will make me sad that I can't stick an experiment storage container on my LRV. If parts with nodes can be moved, then we've got a replacement for IR.

Looks very nice, the rover seems to have a better art quality than most stuff in KSP. I hope the existing parts get an upgrade to match;the Mk1-2 Command Pod could learn a thing or two about texture quality from it!

The LEM also looks nice, I assume that it's about the same weight as the existing lander can, given the low amount of fuel and thrust on it; hopefully existing parts aren't left in the dust by it. Then again, maybe it's a reduced version just cheated in there, since it's quite clear the rover was cheated down; I expect that that'd only be the ascent stage, and we'd need the descent stage below it with the legs changed to the descent stage.

This makes the prospects for the expansion being worthwhile look good. I just worry about the base game and the stuff from it being left behind, especially since some of the 5m parts that got shown before seemed to me like they're needed for gaps in the base game (certain lengths of 5m fuel tanks). Who knows, maybe we'll get a part revamp update before the DLC hits, and we'll actually have reason to use Mk2 rocket crew parts and things like the Thud!

7 hours ago, Just Jim said:

I just saw there's a floating boulder in the upper left corner of this pic, along the crater rim. I LOVE IT!!!!  (Emiko Station readers will know why... hehehehe)  

What, you mean this?

It's been jpeg'd it appears

9 hours ago, passinglurker said:

that is probably new though I'm curious how they plan on getting that rover to the mun history style (the real life lunar rover folded in more ways than just the wheels)

LOL yup, given the size of the LM the rover is hysterically large. :D

12 hours ago, Iamsodarncool said:

Is anyone else put off by the appearance of the new wheels? Something bothers me about them but I can't put my finger on what it is... shading maybe?

Maybe that brown color is not used anywhere else? Also the saturation stands out. To me it gives the impression of a stock craft with wheels from USI attached.

13 hours ago, Just Jim said:

I just saw there's a floating boulder in the upper left corner of this pic, along the crater rim. I LOVE IT!!!!  (Emiko Station readers will know why... hehehehe)  

4 hours ago, DeltaDizzy said:

What, you mean this?

Yup, that's it. I apologize for going off-topic for a minute, but I've been finding these floating boulders for ages now, and I've weaved them into my Emiko Station story as "Floating Gravioli Boulders". In my story, a floating boulder is a small fragment of a once larger Magic Boulder that smashed into the surface of a planet or moon. 

It's a common, harmless bug that I hope @SQUAD NEVER EVER fixes.... :D

Edited by Just Jim

25 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

No floating boulder - there's just a steep slope behind the rover and lander.  And the rover looks larger than it is due to perspective.  

With all due respect, yes there is, up on the very edge of the crater where he's circled. A crater rim is one of the best place to find them on the Mun. Here's a couple pics of two floating boulders side by side on the edge of a crater.

Spoiler

OBBenfK.png

qKijgV4.png

I have also found them on Kerbin, Eve, and most everywhere else:

Spoiler

b5qnBcf.jpg

Qa3JD3R.jpg

35Z6y9A.jpg

Now let's get back to rovers... how fast can those new wheels go?:)

Edited by Just Jim

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.