Airborne Defense Challenge

In the ADC, your job is to create an airplane that suits the needs of the mission. A new mission is picked weekly. The winner is the aircraft that accomplishes the mission with the least cost and/or least weight(except certain exceptions, which will be covered at the right time). To submit the entry, you must post a download link and a proof video. The challenge starts in 1940 and continues until 2010. Each week, the challenge year is increased by 1-5, depending on the requirements met by the previous winner. ALLOWED MODS: B9 Aerospace, Ferram Aerospace Research, KAX, Firespitter, BDArmory, North Kerbin Dynamics, and Deadly Re-entry.

First Mission: 1940

Develop a fast, minimally armed fighter plane capable of sustained 150 m/s level flight at 5 km. Only one engine. Allowed weapons: Up to 4x Browning .50cal AN/M2. Allowed engines: A7 Aerosport at 100% thrust. D-25 Radial Engine at 95% thrust. FS1EN Nose Mounted Engine at 100% thrust. MUST be able to fly without using SAS.

1940 Leader Board

1. MostExcellent

If you have any questions, post them here.

Edited by Guest

Oh, I can... :)

Edit: I can't do videos... can I just screenshot Spam all its functions along with the download?

it says 1940, does it have to be propeller? Because I can do a stock propeller but getting it 150m/s will be nearly impossible with one engine.

Edited by MiffedStarfish

9 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

Oh, I can... :)

Edit: I can't do videos... can I just screenshot Spam all its functions along with the download?

it says 1940, does it have to be propeller? Because I can do a stock propeller but getting it 150m/s will be nearly impossible with one engine.

You can use pictures, but you must show pictures on at least these situations: in SPH, on takeoff at max speed, and on landing.

Since you're using stock, I'll give you two options:

a. Use 2 engines

b. Add one Juno engine with one propeller.

Also, Whack-a-Kerbal serves as a weapon system.

Edited by Guest

Develop a bomber capable of carrying a 5,000 lb or more bomb load to the Desert Continent west of the KSC. Up to 4 engines. Allowed weapons: Up to 4x .50cal Turret. As many mk82 bombs as needed to have 5000 lb bomb load

Allowed engines: up to 4x A7 Aerosport at 100% thrust. Up to 4x D-25 Radial Engine at 100% thrust. Up to 4x FS1EN Nose Mounted Engine at 100% thrust. MUST be able to fly without using SAS.

10 hours ago, Benjamin Kerman said:

Are these parts in BDArmory?

Yes

10 hours ago, Bob_Saget54 said:

Does being able to fly without SAS mean without cockpit torque or without SAS in general?

I know from experience that some bombers back in WWII did have a rudimentary autopilot feature (B-17, B-29)

You can use reaction wheels and torque, it simply must be able to fly without SAS Autopilot.

27 minutes ago, MostExcellent said:

Can we adapt the rules to stock because FAR is not updated?

It is proving very difficult to reach the required speed with the allowed propulsion.

Which challenge are you doing? 1941 or 1940? Also, FAR isn't a required mod. If you want, you can build all stock.

3 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

The weapon parts and ammo are in BDAc, however the engines are from KAX or Firespitter .. not sure which one

Actually both.

53 minutes ago, MostExcellent said:

So here's my 1940 submission: the P-52

A bit on the slow side, but an extremely maneuverable dogfighter that handles well even at low speeds.

download

Very nice design

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.