Bill Nye is dead, apparently.

Gargamel

Yes, that's kinda click bait, Nye is still alive as far as I know, but it's on topic, so read on.

Started a new job the other day, working this big bruiser type guy running a machine.  On day one I wear this shirt:

flat,800x800,075,f.u2.jpg

A couple other guys there actually got it and knew what it meant.  This bruiser (whos a nice guy, this just isn't in his wheelhouse), looks at me, thinks for a minute, and asks me if I like Harry Potter.  After saying I do, I tried to explain lovecraft to him.  I saw it fly right over his head. 

Next day, I wear this shirt:

enhanced-buzz-1259-1423859173-46.jpg

I see him reading it, and thinking, so I wait.  Eventually He points at Nye and says "I know who he is, but he's dead, how did he run for president?".

I'm pretty sure he was thinking of Mr Wizard, (Linked for you youngins who never saw it), but that still threw me for a loop. 

I can't wait for next week when I can wear more of my quirky shirts just to confuse him.  I'm especially looking forward to the Donner Party Trail Mix shirt. 

Edited by gargamel

I grew up with Mr. Wizard, and this Nye character seemed like a cheep replacement at the time, so I never got into him.  Now I gotta see his face around everywhere as a popular voice on science.  Ugh.

yea i didnt much like the next generation of tv scientists. there were several trying to make science more exiting but i think thats kind of missing the point. mr wizzard just explained stuff, and if you were into that kind of thing you found your show, otherwise you would flip the channel. i was 5 or 6 when i was watching mr wizzard and it was one of the few shows that i remember watching when i was that age. i probibly wouldnt have half the skills i have now had i not watched that show at such an early age.

I was so angry at the click-bait, and yet so amused at the actual content, I don't know whether to yell at @Gargamel in fury or shout in wonder.

I got a Cthulhu shirt that came with this beyootiful movie, but I lost the DVD and the shirt is really faded :(

I also got these two from Zach Weiner, because he is awesome. I wear them to work sometimes, and no-one gets it.

11 hours ago, monstah said:

I also got these two from Zach Weiner, because he is awesome. I wear them to work sometimes, and no-one gets it.

How can you not get it?  I mean I understand if you work in a special needs home, but those are pretty simple to understand shirts. 

You might want to look at the back catalog of shirt.woot.com.   I think you'll find some you 'll like there. 

I bet I don't know anyone that would understand that first shirt.  Never heard of that monster or author.  I have heard of Nye and Degrasse-Tyson, of course, but I have never seen that fake running mates logo.

18 hours ago, Dartguy said:

I bet I don't know anyone that would understand that first shirt.

Within five minutes of walking into the plant, I had two guys say they loved it.  Upon talking to them about it, they both knew what it actually meant. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.