Do any of you know of any good ways of loading things into a cargo plane?

Use the mallard for example. Driving vehicles into them is a no-no, since they slide around and are unpredictable. I haven't been able to find a nifty way to couple them into the cargo bay. Anyone got some ideas?

Docking port underneath, matching port on the floor of the cargo bay, aircraft gear to lift the wheels over the port.

Or you can use a nose mounted port, but those are tricky to get at just the right height. You have to account for suspension compression under gravity loads.

Nose-mounted rovers also have a tendency to sag during flight.

Edited by Wanderfound

Hi @Dcseal

I have some experience in Mk3 cargobays and for my next stock laythe kampaign i buildt this:
(The plane will be altered for transfer to laythe and atmospheric flight there...)

All vehicles can be easy undocked and redocked, a Lab, a minirover with science, a buggy powered by fuelcells and a small ISRU truck which can be docked to the nose of the plane.

Agroups abort - toggle drills, Ag 5 / 6 - toggle buggy gear / ISRU gear
( to redock the buggy, lower gear :wink:)

Take a look at yourself, all stock 1.2.2, its hard to explain how i made it, Dropbox file here.

A picture of all the stuff i can load at once:

YzVmSyd.png

:D

Edited by Mikki

I use the trailer hitch from the Buffalo rover. As long as you get the height in the cargo bay right and use similar base chassis you can build a system where everything can dock with the carrier and with each other as required.

screenshot102_zpswgtbener.png

Edited by dangerhamster

11 hours ago, Dcseal said:

Use the mallard for example. Driving vehicles into them is a no-no, since they slide around and are unpredictable. I haven't been able to find a nifty way to couple them into the cargo bay. Anyone got some ideas?

I did found a way to drive vehicles inside a cargo bay and couple them.
Basically you want a vehicle with a front landing gear. The other wheels can be anything you like. Your cargo's nose must lifts up as you extend your gear.

You want a Docking port jr on the floor of your cargo bay facing the ceiling (downside up)
Then you want a docking port jr at the nose of your cargo vessel near the front landing gear facing the floor (upside down)

Place the nosegear near the upside down Docking port of your cargo vehicle!
Drive the vehicle inside the cargobay with the front landing gear extended so the nose is lifted, use the back rover wheels to accelerate.
Then once both docking ports align lower the front nose gear to connect both docking ports. If it doesn't align and creates a angle between both nodes then either lower wheel base on the cargo vessel or raise the docking port inside the cargo bay.
You may want to angle the docking port. Either the one on the nose of your cargo or the one at the ceiling of the cargobay floor.
This way you can also couple multiple vessels if your cargo bay is long enough by adding more docking points inside the bay.

Edited by Razorforce7

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.