RSS/RO Interplanetary Missions Discussion & Documents

I want to share/store documents and plans I (and others!) make for interplanetary missions. I intend to start with basic/boring information, like ballistic coefficients, heat shield information, etc.that will be useful to see for planning a mission. I intend to draw from data of actual carried out or planned missions, but feel free to post information about missions you've carried out with the full RSS/RO/RP-0 stack in KSP 1.1 or 1.2.

For starters, I've got this document which lays the ground for a Venus balloon mission. A heatshield is required to slow the craft down at Venus, of course, but the idea is that a balloon/probe combination would be great for gathering information from Venus. I also have the notion that using a balloon would be the best way to attempt to bring a probe back to Venus' orbit from the surface of Venus. Once the balloon & payload are up past most of the atmosphere, a rocket could be used to rise the rest of the way to orbit.

https://spaceflightsystems.grc.nasa.gov/SSPO/SP/VenusUpper/Presentations/gage_VenusEntryBalloonsUAVs.pdf

Are there any balloons in RSS/RO?  I was looking at a venus surface mission, and it seemed the only reasonable way to get something from the surface back would either be a balloon or first stage consisting of an electric prop plane - that atmosphere is just too thick and too deep to force a rocket through at the reduced ISP's involved.

However, is there really any material that could make good balloon fabric and also be acid-resistant at those temperatures? 

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.