[1.12.x] Crew R&R - Crew Rest & Rotation

linuxgurugamer

2 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

2nd the, this request seems to be somewhat useless. In general, you aren't having purples do things all the time period so they have plenty of time to rest and sleep. The science generation in the science labs can be assumed to include a kerbal's rest periods. Given that, why add the extra complexity of a sleeping/wake cycle when it isn't doesn't really have anything to the gameplay ?

By the same reason we add more resources to be harvested, then processed, then finally used on something (as oxygen on TAC-LS). Too add a bit of "realism", and force me to add R&R and Sleeping areas to my vessels using some kind of constraint, and not only my mood on the time. 

How many sleeping areas I would need? What would be the ideal common R&R dedicated area? How the mission length would affect these issues?

In the first Apollo mission to touch the Moon, the guys just sit on the ground for sleeping (where they could), took some sleeping pills to withhold some sleep on all that mess, and that's it. It worked fine, but they spent just some days on the Moon. Now try to figure out what wold happen on a 10 days on Moon? 30?

On 5/4/2018 at 6:05 PM, Lisias said:

Too add a bit of "realism", and force me to add R&R and Sleeping areas to my vessels using some kind of constraint, and not only my mood on the time.

FWIW: USI-LS has a habitation mechanic, where kerbals on long trips (more than a few days) need habitation space or they eventually become grumpy and refuse to work.  It doesn't give kerbals specific "work hours" and "sleep hours", but it implies that kerbals spend time resting, and forces you to provide areas in your spacecraft where they can do that.

On 5/4/2018 at 5:20 PM, Lisias said:

But, yeah, should be nice if they could interact somehow - kerbals that spent more time in duty (bigger workshifts, for example) would need more time for ground R&R

One way to look at duty shifts in KSP (and other games that have similar work schedules) is that the work being produced is an aggregate of work and off time.  So if a kerbal works 3 hours, sleeps 3 hours, and is producing 10 Science per day, he is actually producing 20 Science per day, for the 3 hours he worked, then sleeps.    I just assume the sleep patterns are worked into the schedule. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In the next update, could you expand the range for the possible Base Vacation Rate and Maximum Vacation Days please? I'd like to set this up so that it takes several times longer for a Kerbal to recover from a mission than the length of the mission itself, like 500%. Thank you!

46 minutes ago, Daedalus451 said:

In the next update, could you expand the range for the possible Base Vacation Rate and Maximum Vacation Days please? I'd like to set this up so that it takes several times longer for a Kerbal to recover from a mission than the length of the mission itself, like 500%. Thank you!

so, you'd like to allow the both the minimum and maximum vacation days to be up to 500?  That's effectively more than a year

Edited by linuxgurugamer

On 6/25/2018 at 1:12 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

so, you'd like to allow the both the minimum and maximum vacation days to be up to 500?  That's effectively more than a year

Well, I don't think I would ever set the minimum to be anywhere near that high as I prefer vacation length to be proportional to mission length. But I don't think a maximum as high as 500 days is such a bad thing. In practice, you would normally only reach that limit after a mission lasting several months.

My main point is that it would be good to be able to set the Base Vacation Rate to higher than 100%, so actual vacation time could be longer than the mission itself, yet still proportional to mission length. At the moment, the only way to have longer R&R periods than missions is to set the minimum vacation time arbitrarily very high, which means it's then not proportionate to the length of the mission. I think a Base Vacation Rate of 200% or 300% would be a good balance, and even 500% wouldn't be a bad thing.

It all depends on play-style. I use this mod alongside KCT with a 3x build-time modifier, so my crewed orbital missions often have few weeks or a month or so between them. As it is, I don't find that I'm often seriously constrained in crew selection because of R&R, as the vacation times are relatively short compared to the time between my launches. If the point of this mod is to constrain your crew selections and force you to keep a deeper roster, allowing a greater range for customisation will keep it doing that. And I'd be very grateful.

• 2 weeks later...

@linuxgurugamer I have a question/suggestion/request? in regards to this mod, how difficult would it be to modify crew r&r to recognize different flight types? To have the mod be able to tell the difference between, say, a flight on Kerbin, a flight into low orbit, and a flight to Duna. My reasoning is, I play with KCT and I need to raise the minimum crew r&r vacation time pretty high or by the time my next rocket is built, my crew is back from vacation, and it feels like the mod isn't even there, however, in my own personal playstyle I keep a separate flight crew for airplanes and space travel, and with the turnaround for airplane being hours or just a couple of days, before it's ready to re-launch, my pilots don't need a whole month or more to recover from a flight from KSC to the desert launch facility, but that's what I'd want for a trip to the Mun, Minmus, or Duna and beyond.

I know you're maintaining a lot of mods, and are probably incredibly busy, so if it would be difficult, or time consuming, or even if you don't want to put time into such a request, I completely understand. I just thought I'd make a polite inquiry about it, otherwise I'd never know.

8 hours ago, vardicd said:

@linuxgurugamer I have a question/suggestion/request? in regards to this mod, how difficult would it be to modify crew r&r to recognize different flight types? To have the mod be able to tell the difference between, say, a flight on Kerbin, a flight into low orbit, and a flight to Duna. My reasoning is, I play with KCT and I need to raise the minimum crew r&r vacation time pretty high or by the time my next rocket is built, my crew is back from vacation, and it feels like the mod isn't even there, however, in my own personal playstyle I keep a separate flight crew for airplanes and space travel, and with the turnaround for airplane being hours or just a couple of days, before it's ready to re-launch, my pilots don't need a whole month or more to recover from a flight from KSC to the desert launch facility, but that's what I'd want for a trip to the Mun, Minmus, or Duna and beyond.

I know you're maintaining a lot of mods, and are probably incredibly busy, so if it would be difficult, or time consuming, or even if you don't want to put time into such a request, I completely understand. I just thought I'd make a polite inquiry about it, otherwise I'd never know.

Interesting idea, but no time now.  Canyou open an issue on Github for this?

36 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Interesting idea, but no time now.  Canyou open an issue on Github for this?

Uh... I can try later today after work, I'm not really familiar with github, think I used it, once or twice. I'll look into it ata the very least.

23 hours ago, vardicd said:

Well. A flight on kerbin is short, so if you se the mon to 1 day and the max high, it may do what you want since the vacation time is based on the length  of the mission

• 4 months later...

Really need a fix. Otherwise, it turned out that the job was finished on the space station during the year, the kerbals to return to Kerbin with moved into a transport ship and he is counted only flight on this ship. Accordingly, leave was granted only for the period of this short flight, and not for the entire long mission.

Thank you!

Edited by Sokol_323

4 hours ago, Sokol_323 said:

Really need a fix. Otherwise, it turned out that the job was finished on the space station during the year, the kerbals to return to Kerbin with moved into a transport ship and he is counted only flight on this ship. Accordingly, leave was granted only for the period of this short flight, and not for the entire long mission.

Thank you!

The fix for this is literally in the post above yours.

10 hours ago, Sokol_323 said:

6 hours ago, severedsolo said:

The fix for this is literally in the post above yours.

Unfortunately, since the kerbal's mission began while using an earlier version of the mod, the mission start time wasn't recorded so there's no way to know how long it's really been.  For kerbals who are already away from home, the mission timer will start at the first time you enter the flight scene after installing the new version.  But future missions (those launched after upgrading) should be tracked correctly.

(As a workaround, if you're OK with manual save-file editing and if you use another mod that tracks when kerbals leave home (such as USI-LS), you could find the UT value for that in the other mod's data, and copy it to the kerbal's CurrentMissionStartTime line in the CrewRandRSettings scenario.  For USI-LS in particular, look for the kerbal's LastAtHome time in LifeSupportScenario.)

Edited by Wyzard

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

@linuxgurugamer I just dropped in to say that I really like this very lightweight mod for adding crew rotation to your game. I've tried life support, and Kerbalism and Kerbal health et al, but almost all of them kind of get in the way of "Kerbaling" more then they enhance the experience (IMO).  This mod pushes you to fill out your roster and rotate Kerbals without the need to add 52 parts to every craft, or put time constraints on missions.  

On 3/13/2019 at 1:43 AM, Wyzard said:

@linuxgurugamer, following up on my suggestion in your Twitch stream the other day, I added GitHub issue #11 with the feature suggestion for a toolbar button to show the queue of vacationing kerbals and when they'll return.

Would this be properly handled by CRR making a KAC entry?  No need to duplicate a feature that someone else has already done the work for. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi  @linuxgurugamer and everyone else, I am new here and this is my first post, thank you for your great work on KSP!

I  use this mod with KSP v 1.6.1. Early in career mode, neither automatic crew assignment nor the fill button seem to work, no matter if I check or uncheck the relative option in Crew R&R's settings. In practice, the empty space(s) of the command module can only be filled by dragging available  kerbonauts manually. Is that normal?

Other than that, as noted by someone else I love the minimalistic approach of this mod but I miss information on which astronauts are on leave and for how long. How hard would be integrating that information in the stock interface or getting it in a new window?

Edited by gap