[1.12.x] Crew R&R - Crew Rest & Rotation

linuxgurugamer

I could, but I won't.  In my opinion, you can revert if you do't want vacation.  If recovered, then they have been through the whole cycle of suiting up, getting into the vessel, waiting on the pad, being decanted from the vessel, and then filling out reports.  Takes time, which is what this mod forces.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 3 weeks later...

Hey @linuxgurugamer I've discovered a small bug in this.

It looks like you are using the vessels MET on recovery to determine the vacation time.

However, if the vessel was docked to a station, and then undocked and returned, the MET gets reset to 0 on undocking. This results in Kerbals who have been away for over a year only getting the minimum 7 day vacation time.

FYI EarnYourStripes suffered from the same problem - I worked around it by recording the actual UT the Kerbal launched at in OnVesselRollout and then comparing it to the UT the recovery was requested at.

It's pretty minor, but thought you might like to know (happy to provide logs if needed, but it's easily reproducable). I suspect it would also happen if that kerbal went on EVA.

29 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

Hey @linuxgurugamer I've discovered a small bug in this.

It looks like you are using the vessels MET on recovery to determine the vacation time.

However, if the vessel was docked to a station, and then undocked and returned, the MET gets reset to 0 on undocking. This results in Kerbals who have been away for over a year only getting the minimum 7 day vacation time.

FYI EarnYourStripes suffered from the same problem - I worked around it by recording the actual UT the Kerbal launched at in OnVesselRollout and then comparing it to the UT the recovery was requested at.

It's pretty minor, but thought you might like to know (happy to provide logs if needed, but it's easily reproducable). I suspect it would also happen if that kerbal went on EVA.

Thanks.  Could you open an issue on Github, it's aminor enough bug that I'm not going to fix it until I get all my mods updated

3 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Thanks.  Could you open an issue on Github, it's aminor enough bug that I'm not going to fix it until I get all my mods updated

Done. Just copy and pasted my report from the forum, I assume that should be enough to jog your memory.

New release, 1.1.8:

• Thanks to @Wyzard for the following bug fixes:
    • Fixed kerbals not going on vacation if recovered from the tracking station or space center scenes.
    • Fixed vacationing kerbals sometimes being auto-assigned as crew in the VAB/SPH.
    • Fixed NullReferenceException after clicking on the launchpad or runway at the space center.
    • Reduced some brief logspam when opening the astronaut center.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey LGG,

Another suggestion.  It might be most appropriate as an add-on to this mod, or just worked into this one.

If I'm sending up a shuttle vessel to a station, R&R will populate the ship as it sees fit.   But I only need lets say a pilot and 2 scientists, but the 2 scientists weren't in the original crewing of the ship by R&R.  It'd be nice if there was an optional window that I could specify the number of each role to fill the vessel.    So I could click 1 pilot and 2 scientists, and R&R would pick the most appropriate ones based on it's criteria.   Also perhaps in that same box, being able to toggle the level priority.  So if I'm crewing a mission specifically to gain XP, I could have it pick the 1 pilot and 2 scientists that are the lowest level that meet the rest of the R7R criteria.  Or each role would have it's own toggle. 

------

One other note.  I've had to add a lone probe core, named AAA, to my save directory.  The first vessel loaded in the load screen for launching directly to the pad from the KSC scene was being populated correctly by R&R.  But after scrolling down and selecting a different vessel, with the same command pod, the crew would be different.  I think it might be ignoring the first crew assigned, and working farther down the priority list.    The AAA vessel prevents R&R from selecting any crew until I have picked the correct ship for launching.  I can open a bug report if needed. 

Hi @linuxgurugamer and @N70.  

Could this mod be altered please to support a vacation time dependant on kerbalisms radiation health exposure? So... with 50% rad exposure might take half a year to recover or some likely balance.  Kerbalism currently resets radiation on recovery at the KSC.

Peace

3 hours ago, theJesuit said:

Hi @linuxgurugamer and @N70.  

Could this mod be altered please to support a vacation time dependant on kerbalisms radiation health exposure? So... with 50% rad exposure might take half a year to recover or some likely balance.  Kerbalism currently resets radiation on recovery at the KSC.

Peace

That would have to be dependent on @N70 (I assume you are referring to Kerbalism).  I don't like or use Kerbalism, so have no idea what would be needed

22 hours ago, Gargamel said:

The first vessel loaded in the load screen for launching directly to the pad from the KSC scene was being populated correctly by R&R.  But after scrolling down and selecting a different vessel, with the same command pod, the crew would be different.  I think it might be ignoring the first crew assigned, and working farther down the priority list.

Are you using the latest version?  I submitted fixes for several crew-assignment bugs recently, and I'm unable to reproduce the problem you describe using Crew R&R version 1.1.8:

• Jeb is on vacation.
  • The first ship in my list has a Mk1-3 command pod as its root part.
  • I click the launchpad at the space center to bring up the launch window, and the pod gets auto-assigned some available crew from later in the roster; Jeb isn't assigned and doesn't appear as an option.
  • I select a different ship that also has a Mk1-3 command pod as its root, and the crew assignment says the same: three other kerbals, no Jeb.
  • Even if I remove the kerbals from the command pod, I just get the same ones back after selecting a different ship.  Vacationing kerbals never get auto-assigned and don't show up as options to assign manually.

Also:

It'd be nice if there was an optional window that I could specify the number of each role to fill the vessel.    So I could click 1 pilot and 2 scientists, and R&R would pick the most appropriate ones based on it's criteria.   Also perhaps in that same box, being able to toggle the level priority.  So if I'm crewing a mission specifically to gain XP, I could have it pick the 1 pilot and 2 scientists that are the lowest level that meet the rest of the R7R criteria.  Or each role would have it's own toggle.

You might want to just turn off the crew auto-assignment and choose the kerbals yourself — there's an option for that on the R&R tab of the difficulty settings screen.  There's an open issue in GitHub (from more than a year ago) for more-intelligent crew selection, and you could maybe add your suggestions as a comment there, but I think the UI you describe would be slower and less convenient than just looking at the available crew roster and clicking on a pilot and two scientists.

Edited by Wyzard

5 hours ago, Wyzard said:

Are you using the latest version?

Apparently not.  1.1.6 for  KSP 1.3.1. 

5 hours ago, Wyzard said:

You might want to just turn off the crew auto-assignment and choose the kerbals yourself — there's an option for that on the R&R tab of the difficulty settings screen

Yeah, but I like having the crew selected for me based on some criteria.  Otherwise I've found myself playing favorites for no apparent reason.  Guess I'm just bitter like that. 

OFFTOPIC - or not?

I'm searching for a module that does this, but inside a vessel. The Kerbal "works" 4 hours in the a workstation that matches his/her skills, then goes somewhere else for 4 hours of "rest and recreation", then goes for a hab or sleeping chamber (if available) for the next 4 hours - and them everything restarts.

5 minutes ago, Lisias said:

OFFTOPIC - or not?

I'm searching for a module that does this, but inside a vessel. The Kerbal "works" 4 hours in the a workstation that matches his/her skills, then goes somewhere else for 4 hours of "rest and recreation", then goes for a hab or sleeping chamber (if available) for the next 4 hours - and them everything restarts.

I don’t think there is a mod that does that. There isn’t enough time in a kerbal day anyway. 

With the 4 hours you are throwing in there, a kerbal will work and relax for nearly a day and a half, then sleep the rest of the second day.  So basically a kerbal sleeps every other day. 

4 hours of work + 4 hours of relax/rec time + 4 hours of sleep = 12 hours 

12 hours = 2 kerbal days.

Edited by Galileo

Just now, Gordon Dry said:

@Lisias I guess this could be added on top of CLS, but that would mean that CLS is a dependency of Crew R&R.

IMHO as a non-coder :cool:

CrewR&R works on Editing time. Such a module I'm searching would work in "runtime".

But, yeah, should be nice if they could interact somehow - kerbals that spent more time in duty (bigger workshifts, for example) would need more time for ground R&R

14 minutes ago, Galileo said:

With the 4 hours you are throwing in there, a kerbal will work and relax for nearly a day and a half, then sleep the rest of the second day.  So basically a kerbal sleeps every other day. 

My understanding is that a full "day" in Kerbin is 6 hours, so we have 3 daylight hours and 3 night hours. But since Kerbals lived for a long time underground, they don't have to have their circadian rhythm "tidal locked" to it.

Even us, Humans, appear to have a circadian of about 25 hours. And God knows my one appears to be 30 to 36. =P

But, anyway... I think that the duty cycles is not important as the feature itself. And this can me tailored by the user.

14 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Essentially what my friends that are doctors does on their shifts. :-)

(and me, when I screw up my project's deadlines)

Edited by Lisias
yeah,, typos. But you already knew that. =P

On 5/4/2018 at 5:15 PM, Lisias said:

OFFTOPIC - or not?

1st, no need to go to another thread, this is relevant. 

2nd the, this request seems to be somewhat useless. In general, you aren't having Kerbals do things all the time. So they have plenty of time to rest and sleep. The science generation in the science labs can be assumed to include a kerbal's rest periods. Given that, why add the extra complexity of a sleeping/wake cycle when it isn't doesn't really have anything to the gameplay ?

On 5/4/2018 at 5:20 PM, Lisias said:

CrewR&R works on Editing time. Such a module I'm searching would work in "runtime".

But, yeah, should be nice if they could interact somehow - kerbals that spent more time in duty (bigger workshifts, for example) would need more time for ground R&R

This mod does not work by editing time, it works by making a kerbel and available for a period of time. It watches time, but it doesn't do anything to the time .

Edited by linuxgurugamer