Have you ever played a game involving flight and KSP controls screw it up?

Scientia1423

By the title, I meant this:

In KSP you usually press "S" to go up and "W" to go down

And if you've played it for so long and have adapted to its controls, that by playing another game that uses "regular" WASD controls, you use the kerbal controls and immediately go into a dive.

Just asking if this has ever happened to you.

I don't have too many flight games, the biggest difference is for KSP to Just Cause 2. I guess it's a simpler version because it's an action game, but you pitch with W/S and roll with A/D, there's essentially no yaw controls that you ever need to touch. 

KSP is the only flight-ish game that I have to play with the keypad... cuz the joystick controls are lagged so bad to render my flight system useless.

So no, that has not happened to me and still hopeful they might do something to fix the joystick lag so I don't have to use the keyboard.

Edited by XLjedi

6 hours ago, XLjedi said:

KSP is the only flight-ish game that I have to play with the keypad... cuz the joystick controls are lagged so bad to render my flight system useless.

So no, that has not happened to me and still hopeful they might do something to fix the joystick lag so I don't have to use the keyboard.

Control lag? 

Did you try turning off torque wheels and SAS? Eg flying on control surfaces only?

I can't say I have ever had this problem because most flight based games use the same control scheme.  Pressing "S" is like pulling back on the stick and "W" is pushing forward on it, so it just feels natural.  Of course, I can't think of any games I've played recently that have 3 dimensional movement other than a flight game, so that might have something to do with it.

EDIT: Except Subnautica, but that is mouse aiming.

I'm curious what game you are playing where the KSP controls throw you off?

Edited by Alshain

I don't have this when switching between games. But the frequency at which I keep re-discovering that view controls (such as coolie hats) do not actually work with screenshots or videos of games is embarassing.

3 hours ago, Overland said:

Control lag? 

Did you try turning off torque wheels and SAS? Eg flying on control surfaces only?

It's fairly well documented and has been around for quite awhile from what I've read... 

I get the idea behind it yeah, it does seem a very KSP-y type bug.. 

ive been driving land trains for years though from 2014 with a joystick - logitech attack 3 - then with an Xbox steering wheel ever since, possibly because the wheel is basicly an xbox pad which windows 10 supports without any additional driver.. dunno but ive never had input lag at all.. infact I had to fake it with wheel settings for sencitive trains to steer slower and delayed on purpose.. is it a saitek specific problem by any chance? asking because I was considering the farm controller button box of theirs. despite its rather hefty tag of over 100 dollars

For War Thunder the controls are ALMOST the same, but for some reason all mighty Gaijob chose Q and E for the rudder, and A and D for roll. Couple updates back I reformatted it but I'm to do it lazy right now... There have been times when I slam my wing into the ground at high speeds getting the controls confused...

The controls are right for flight sims. Almost every game I know uses the 'down' key to pitch up and the 'up' key to pitch down as this emulates the real stick movement. That's why it's called to 'pull up' - you pull the stick towards yourself in order to climb.

5 hours ago, maceemiller said:

It doesn't matter what flight game I play I'm useless at them!! Rockets are all I do now.

As for control lag it works fine on my logitech attack 3. No delay at all.

Seems to be a problem for the Saitek series of FCS controllers...  would be nice if I could use my throttle block and all the programmable buttons but seems to be a 3-way fingerpointing match between devs of KSP/Unity/Saitek that's been going on for years.  Presumably, more of an issue between Unity & Saitek, but I did see a post where a KSP dev mentioned they were aware of the issue and would get around to fixing it eventually.

In the meantime, the keyboard is OK...  thankfully this is less flighty and more RCS fine control, so it hasn't bothered me too much.

On 4/18/2017 at 9:40 PM, TheKosanianMethod said:

War Thunder is always fun. Every now and then, I try to pull up. Then I wonder why I'm stalling. Then I remember that W and S are the throttle, A and D are roll, and Q/E is for the rudder.

Rest in peace.

I play this game on Roblox where you had to fly a plane to get a reward and I press S then wonder why I can't pull up.

Why not just change the default keys?

Before getting back into KSP, I was playing Elite: Dangerous for a year and a half (at least).  Since that has translational controls too, I just switched my KSP controls to match what I was use to.  I should note, I play with a HOTAS.  Same mini-joystick to translate, rudders for Yaw, stick for pitch/roll and even the same buttons for lights, gears, and brakes.  Makes it much easier switching back and forth.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.