Communicating through rock

Hi, 

Kerbin does not appear to be blocking comms - I can communicate with KSC even when on the far side. Is there a setting I have  by mistake or is this sometimes allowed if the network is over powered? 

Thanks,

RBS.

Edited by rockbloodystar

I can think of two things that could be causing this. You could be connected to one of the numerous connection points scattered over Kerbin, but this can be disabled when starting the game. Alternatively you could have "Atmospheric Planet Occlusion" (or something like that) turned all the way down, which means that atmospheric planets would be essentially invisible (or at least a whole lot smaller) to your Commnet connections. This is configured at the Advanced settings when creating your game.

Having a pilot on board also gives all the features of being connected to KSC, so if you have a pilot on board connection doesn't matter apart from science transmissions.

Hope I helped. :)

Edited by digger1213

2 hours ago, digger1213 said:

I can think of two things that could be causing this. You could be connected to one of the numerous connection points scattered over Kerbin, but this can be disabled when starting the game. Alternatively you could have "Atmospheric Planet Occlusion" (or something like that) turned all the way down, which means that atmospheric planets would be essentially invisible (or at least a whole lot smaller) to your Commnet connections. This is configured at the Advanced settings when creating your game.

Having a pilot on board also gives all the features of being connected to KSC, so if you have a pilot on board connection doesn't matter apart from science transmissions.

Hope I helped. :)

Can I find those settings in the save file to check that occlusion is on.

No pilots are up at the minute.

I don't know where to look in the save file for those things, but the Occlusion Modifier is definitely in the advanced section of the difficulty options when creating a new game. Option is there for both atmospheric and vacuum planets, but by default it shouldn't allow for direct connection through Kerbin. All the rest I can think of is that being set to 0, comms network turned off, or maybe a bug. If the line is visible straight to Space Center through Kerbin, then I'd say its either occlusion or a bug.

Maybe the line is just drawn to indicate the connected points and the signal is actually bouncing around the ionosphere? 

Not that that is modelled in KSP but who knows what's possible on the Kerbal's freaky-deaky little world?

7 hours ago, rockbloodystar said:

So in the save file the occlusion modifiers were set to zero.

Now changed and problem is fixed.

Thanks.

You may want to mark one of the answers here as the "Best Answer" so this question gets marked as answered.

Edited by StahnAileron

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 3:45 AM, rockbloodystar said:

I can communicate with KSC even when on the far side.

Wait... do you have "Enable additional ground stations" turned on in your saved game's difficulty setting? Your craft might be communicating with that. In Map Mode the comm icons will tell you what station you're in contact with.

(When I read, "Communicating through rock," this went through my mind first. Van Halen for the win!)

Dur, help if I read the rest of the answers! Never mind...

Edited by Gordon Fecyk
Never mind, stupid me

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.