Your PROUDEST moment in KSP

imkrazy

Proudest and relief....

Back when still playing 1.0.5:

Launched a mission to Eve having a lander crewed with a Mk1-3.

Woefully underestimated Δv, and ended up sending rescue lander after rescue lander, along with the required rovers to retrieve and transport crew for hours on end when missing the landing zone.

It took 6 missions to finally get a Mk1-3 capsule into a stable orbit with only 50m/s to spare. I was playing as immersively/seriously as I could, so it was all I did for a month to get my crew home.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Sweetnsaltyish said:

mine was problebly when i landed on the mun for the first time, i was so happy that i threw  my mouse in the air.

Welcome to the forum, Sweetnsaltyish. :) We already had a thread like this so yours has been merged into it, but meanwhile, my proudest moment was also my first Mun landing. I took a zillion screenshots. 

First Mun landing in 1.0.4, before first 6th month, also First Eve Direct Ascent round trip, first Jool 5, pulled over 2500 Science with some low Kerbol Science, in HALF Science gains, and also landing my 320 Ton to orbit SSTO lifter, for someone around my age (17), i'm quite capable, especially compared to average Indonesians, one day...this will be my Grand Tour.

When I made an SSTO, got it to space, delivered it's cargo, and flew back down to Kerbin without any issues. I'm surprised my craft even made it through re-entry, let alone being able to pull up and not slam into the ocean

• 1 year later...

When I landed on Tylo for the first time ago a few months ago.

Interestingly enough, I overengineered the return craft so badly it was able to go from Kerbin orbit to Tylo and back to Kerbin orbit, and still had enough fuel to probably go to Duna and back. I'm reusing the original core stage for my Duna mission, and using the design for my planned Moho Mission.

DhuSnxi.png

Edited by DunaManiac

On 7/25/2020 at 12:27 AM, DunaManiac said:

When I landed on Tylo for the first time ago a few months ago.

Interestingly enough, I overengineered the return craft so badly it was able to go from Kerbin orbit to Tylo and back to Kerbin orbit, and still had enough fuel to probably go to Duna and back. I'm reusing the original core stage for my Duna mission, and using the design for my planned Moho Mission.

DhuSnxi.png

never been able to land manual on Tylo. In my experience mechjeb also messes up a lot here. 

For me my coolest moment was hardbrake: firebird 1. 
Zmb10mAh.png
Yes its an huge base and stuff during an 7 g aerobrake on Duna who is cool. 
But it was also an mission I managed to recover by doing an far more violent aerobrake than planned. It required me to do a lots of simulations on the test version of game and moving parts of the ship around to even out drag as main problem here was that at over 7 g just small drag differences would make the ship go sideway, break up in the middle and then explode. 

I recently had a few good "proud" moments recently. First off, I'm on my way to complete a very difficult contract of sending a kerbal to a comet before it gets sent back into the Oort cloud. I've already landed on it and gotten a few samples from it, and now the ship's on its way home. Should be back in about a year and a half kerbal time, which I think is pretty good, considering it was basically on a trajectory that would almost take it out of the solar system. The other achievement has to do with a recently designed space shuttle that I've finally finished, and is now my best flying shuttle I've made to date. It can haul a little over 30 tons to LKO, and can even go to places like Mun or Minmus orbit with around 5-10 tons, although getting back may be a problem. But my favorite part is that it flies so good, both on accent and decent, and doesn't stall or flip out. I love it!

This was all years ago... just recently came back to the game.

The first time I managed to rendezvous and dock two parts of a modular space station together blew my mind.

But probably my PROUDEST moment would be the rescue mission after I stranded a kerbal in orbit around the Mun - it was early in the tech tree, and the craft didn't have a docking port, so I had no way to refuel it.

So I concocted a second ship with a four-prong array of scaffold blocks mounted at the front, which flew out to the Mun, made rendezvous with the stranded craft, carefully butted the scaffold scoop up against it at the correct angle, and slowly engaged the main thruster, to shunt it into a return trajectory that would just skim the Kerbin atmosphere.  The mission was a resounding success, and all crew returned unscathed!

• 3 weeks later...

My proudest moment has to be when I first put a satellite into orbit around the Earth (not Kerbin) in RP-1 all on my own. Thats something I never forgot. Used an R-7 replica.

Since then I've landed astronauts on the Moon several times and sent probes to different places using gravity assists, which are both certainly harder challenges in Realism Overhaul and in playing KSP as a whole by far, but the first time making orbit in RSS/RO is an unforgettable experience.
Thats why I never could get back to playing standard KSP, its just not the same after all that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.