[1.4] Project Manager - Group and Autonumber Your Launches [09/03/2018]

Beale

On 04/05/2017 at 2:24 AM, Crusoe said:

Yesterday I installed this with cKAN. Today my cKan got bugged when I clicked on the project manager on the list saying "missing module"... then I deleted the mod, I tried to reinstall i noticed it disappear from cKAN list! Is it my side or the mod realy got deleted from the cKAN list?

On 04/05/2017 at 5:38 AM, Foxxonius Augustus said:

The previous 6 comments on this thread talk about this mod being added to CKAN without the mod authors permission. He has stated that he prefers it not be on CKAN. Until the mod author's wishes change it will not be on CKAN, and adding it without his permission is a big no no.

After talking it over for a little with @linuxgurugamer, and seeing as it has already been uploaded to CKAN and been seen, it probably would be the best for a very small plugin mod like this to be CKAN deployed.

The first upload just took me by surprise a little. Apologies for any drama I've stirred up here - It should be back available in due time.

10 minutes ago, Beale said:

After talking it over for a little with @linuxgurugamer, and seeing as it has already been uploaded to CKAN and been seen, it probably would be the best for a very small plugin mod like this to be CKAN deployed.

The first upload just took me by surprise a little. Apologies for any drama I've stirred up here - It should be back available in due time.

And it's back.

My apologies to everyone for the initial misunderstanding.  

Uhm, I don't know if this is a bug or a feature, but Project Manager seems to count reverts as missions that actually happened, and moves onto the next number with the next launch, even though, well... these flights were reverted and never happened.

EDIT:

Nevermind. [Facepalm]

Edited by NISSKEPCSIM

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 21/07/2017 at 9:36 PM, NISSKEPCSIM said:

@Beale Any news on the little GUI for craft numbering mentioned above?

Decided against using it, but appreciate a lot the work that went into it.

Currently the mod is too small to justify another toolbar icon. I was thinking you could put a <4> in the craft name to reset the numbering to 4 for example.

• 2 months later...

1.3.1 Release

A small new version for KSP 1.3.1.

Some small bugs have been fixed, with a handful of extra features planned for the near future (If I can work out the kinks!).

In-Progress

L0RiRGm.png

The plan is, to allow numbers in angle brackets to set launch numbers manually.
For example, if you have a screw-up and need to revert to VAB.

Edited by Beale

Hello @Beale

first of all, thanks for this great little mod. It adds a lot of imersion to the game.

You mentioned earlier that there is a settings-file being generated in the saves folder. For me there is a file, but when i open it, it is empty. Also i noted, that numbering only works for one game play session, that is, numbering is reset to 0 after i restart or reload the game. Do you have any clue what could be the reason for that? Does the settings file need to have any permissions to be set?

On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:35 PM, LupinoArts said:

Hello @Beale

first of all, thanks for this great little mod. It adds a lot of imersion to the game.

You mentioned earlier that there is a settings-file being generated in the saves folder. For me there is a file, but when i open it, it is empty. Also i noted, that numbering only works for one game play session, that is, numbering is reset to 0 after i restart or reload the game. Do you have any clue what could be the reason for that? Does the settings file need to have any permissions to be set?

Yup, same for me. Running 1.3.1.

• 2 weeks later...

@Beale Any updates to the problems reported by the last two posts? I'm having the same issues with the most current version and 1.3.1. Interestingly enough, if I remember where I left off and edit the file manually after closing KSP, the sequencing starts again as would be expected. It appears that the plug in is not writing any new data to the file, although it is updating the last modified time stamp. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 22/11/2017 at 4:43 AM, Murdabenne said:

I'm seeing the same bug.

On 21/11/2017 at 12:44 AM, MaxwellsDemon said:

Happening for me, too... 1.3.1.   (It worked like a dream in 1.3.0... hoping there's a simple answer.)

On 01/11/2017 at 2:06 AM, thunder175 said:

@Beale Any updates to the problems reported by the last two posts? I'm having the same issues with the most current version and 1.3.1. Interestingly enough, if I remember where I left off and edit the file manually after closing KSP, the sequencing starts again as would be expected. It appears that the plug in is not writing any new data to the file, although it is updating the last modified time stamp. 

On 18/10/2017 at 1:53 PM, Kalidor said:

Yup, same for me. Running 1.3.1.

On 14/10/2017 at 9:35 PM, LupinoArts said:

Hello @Beale

Sorry guys, for some reason I have not seen these posts...

Will investigate.

5 hours ago, MaxwellsDemon said:

Thank you for your time!   :)

Hopefully this will fix it - tested on some of my local saves and seems okay! 

Project Manager V1.3

Kerbin
{
	launchCount = 5
}
Kosmos
{
	launchCount = 2
}
Minmus
{
	launchCount = 3
}
Mun
{
	launchCount = 4
}
VegaP
{
	launchCount = 1
}
Tantares
{
	launchCount = 1
}
Eridani
{
	launchCount = 7
}
Libra
{
	launchCount = 2
}

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/26/2017 at 7:09 PM, Capt. Hunt said:

I noticed a minor bug, if you revert a flight it will advance to the next mission number.

On 4/28/2017 at 5:44 PM, Beale said:

The revert issue is tricky, time-travel, kind of logic. I'm not sure how to approach it to be honest :)

I've just started using this mod and I like the idea, but the revert issue bothers me too.  It looks like the main reason why it's tricky is just because the counters are stored in a separate file (ProjectManager.settings), outside the actual save (the .sfs file).  When you revert a launch, the game reloads a previous .sfs file, but the ProjectManager.settings file is independent of that so it doesn't get reverted.

Would it be feasible to store the mission numbers in a SCENARIO block within the .sfs file instead?  That's how most other global data is stored; SCENARIO blocks hold your funds/science/reputation numbers, your tech tree unlocks, SCANsat map data, Kerbal Alarm Clock alarms, life-support tracking, and so on.  Since it's part of the .sfs file, it obeys reverts.  I'm pretty sure the game provides an API for storing things there, and since lots of mods use it, it shouldn't be hard to find example code that shows how to use the API.

1 hour ago, Wyzard said:

I've just started using this mod and I like the idea, but the revert issue bothers me too.  It looks like the main reason why it's tricky is just because the counters are stored in a separate file (ProjectManager.settings), outside the actual save (the .sfs file).  When you revert a launch, the game reloads a previous .sfs file, but the ProjectManager.settings file is independent of that so it doesn't get reverted.

Would it be feasible to store the mission numbers in a SCENARIO block within the .sfs file instead?  That's how most other global data is stored; SCENARIO blocks hold your funds/science/reputation numbers, your tech tree unlocks, SCANsat map data, Kerbal Alarm Clock alarms, life-support tracking, and so on.  Since it's part of the .sfs file, it obeys reverts.  I'm pretty sure the game provides an API for storing things there, and since lots of mods use it, it shouldn't be hard to find example code that shows how to use the API.

I think I tried this initially, but had a few problems with the scenario nodes - probably only lack of experience with the KSP API. I would like to give this mod some love soon, so I guess I will address it again soon.

• 4 weeks later...

FWIW, Launch Numbering Templated was recently updated for 1.4, and it seems similar to this mod, though with a different way of deriving the launch name from the craft name.

BTW, I've submitted a pull request that fixes the revert issue by bringing the launch counts into the .sfs file.  I've been using the modified version for a few weeks and it seems to work well; I haven't encountered any problems.

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.