KSP Weekly Challenge Suggestions

This is the Brick From Orbit Challenge

Ok, so before I explain this challenge let me give you the background. I was starting a new career with the Unmanned before Manned, which makes you start with probes. I took the orbit contract and made a rocket with a Rovemate as it's base. I decided I could use it as a satellite too so I didn't include a parachute. Once I finally got into orbit I saw a contract that said "Return From Orbit". Realizing the mistake I just made, I came up with an idea. I decoupled everything else and landed the Rovemate alone, which is shaped like a brick, like a wing from orbit.

The challenge is...

Easy Mode: Land with no parachutes. (engines and wings allowed) from orbit

Hard Mode: Land with nothing but the probe (this includes batteries and solar panels)from orbit

Impossible Mode: You can use wings, but have to land from orbit of Eve

Super Mode: Impress Me

SCORING:

There is a point system out of ten.

For each 0.1 ton (other than probe, of course) you lose 3 points

You get 1 point for being on same continent as KSC

2 for being within sight of it 

5 for being in grounds of KSC

7 for runway/launchpad

15 for on top of VAB or R&D Bridge

Also points don't add up

For Impossible Mode you lose 1 point for  every 0.2 ton or 100 units of ablator (So, you can use heatshields)

I forgot to include, you can use whatever you want to deorbit, but will have to decouple once on a sub-orbital trajectory

If anyone from SQUAD or any other forum user wants to improve or take over this challenge feel free to do so. Because honestly, I think I could've given the challenge a cleverer (Yes, that's correct) name :wink:

Edited by JK_Kerbineer

On 8/27/2017 at 0:15 PM, JK_Kerbineer said:

This is the Brick From Orbit Challenge

Ok, so before I explain this challenge let me give you the background. I was starting a new career with the Unmanned before Manned, which makes you start with probes. I took the orbit contract and made a rocket with a Rovemate as it's base. I decided I could use it as a satellite too so I didn't include a parachute. Once I finally got into orbit I saw a contract that said "Return From Orbit". Realizing the mistake I just made, I came up with an idea. I decoupled everything else and landed the Rovemate alone, which is shaped like a brick, like a wing from orbit.

The challenge is...

Easy Mode: Land with no parachutes. (engines and wings allowed) from orbit

Hard Mode: Land with nothing but the probe (this includes batteries and solar panels)from orbit

Impossible Mode: You can use wings, but have to land from orbit of Eve

Super Mode: Impress Me

I forgot to include, you can use whatever you want to deorbit, but will have to decouple once on a sub-orbital trajectory

If anyone from SQUAD or any other forum user wants to improve or take over this challenge feel free to do so. Because honestly, I think I could've given the challenge a cleverer (Yes, that's correct) name :wink:

Easy mode is far too easy. :/ Are landing gear allowed in hard mode? If so that is quite easy as well. I hope a heat shield is allowed in impossible mode, otherwise that is literally impossible.

5 hours ago, The Dunatian said:

Easy mode is far too easy.

Well, that's why I was open to suggestions :wink:

First, there should be a point system out of ten.

Second, for Easy Mode there are no engines now, only wings.

Third, for each 0.1 ton (other than probe, of course) you lose 3 points

You get 1 point for being on same continent as KSC

2 for being within sight of it 

5 for being in grounds of KSC

7 for runway/launchpad

15 for on top of VAB or R&D Bridge

Also points don't add up

For Impossible Mode you lose 1 point for  every 0.2 ton or 100 units of ablator (So, you can use heatshields)

5 hours ago, The Dunatian said:

Are landing gear allowed in hard mode? 

No, they are not. Not in Easy Mode either, because that would be very unnecessary. However, I don't think that would be very stable either way.

I will add this to original post

Edited by JK_Kerbineer

Local and Interplanetary Observation Network

Presents:

The KSC Rocket-Rover Invitational!

L.I.O.N.'s team of engineers have just unveiled their latest, most practical product yet, "Ripper." This single-seat, dual-engine, extremely-hyphenated-description-having rocket-rover can use its awesome dual 24-77 engines to boost its way clear over the Administration Building snooty heads… Boost on over the industrious kerbals watching on the Vehicle Assembly building and still land safely beyond it on the ground below-- without parachutes! With no more than their engines, the hill at the Admin Building and their enormous egos, they began to boast incessantly at Mission Control. Naturally, a second team was assembled from the ranks at Mission Control’s enormous egos to build an identical rover. That rover could fly the entire width of the Kerbal Space Center between the buildings, just by jumping over the Runway! Ever since they landed safely, just South of the Tracking Station and totally without parachutes, there's been a heated debate as to which team had the better of the two identical rovers. These two teams at last came together to create a most wondrous idea to combine the might of both vessels into one amazing creation! This is where you come in...

Build a new rocket-rover capable of both leaping the VAB and the full width of the KSC.

http://imgur.com/FxtDf4T

Height Record: Drive as fast as you can heading 90° East towards the northern-most wall of the Administration Building. Ramp the incline there and rockets are GO! Tap F1 to screenshot your rover when you land safely on the ground and stop, then screenshot again after you tap F3, to show off your rover rocketing height skills in the Flight Log! Style points awarded for safe landings that flew directly over the tallest roof of the VAB! (Yes, the roof's edge is technically higher, but you don't necessarily have to clear the helipads or AC/generator-lookin' things! You may also fly between them, or along the edge of the tallest portion of the roof and it still counts.) Pictures or it never happened! Video (especially bloopers) preferred, but not required.

http://imgur.com/NxdCFcM

Distance Record: Start by planting a flag just East of Mission Control, on the North side of the Runway. (You should be able to see your path between buildings, cisterns and tracking dishes if you look directly South from your flag. See attached photo.) This marks the beginning of your jump, so place the flag on the top edge of the slope (at runway level) where your rocket rover will actually leave the ground. Target your flag for later documentation purposes. Striking your flag during your distance record attempt results in a disqualification. Rockets are GO! Get some run-up speed heading 180° South towards your flag and ramp the incline of the Runway so that you pass nearby your flag and fly! Rocket your rover as fast and as far as possible! To touch the ground before the Southern-most incline to the KSC Grounds results in a disqualification, but you may make contact with the vertical surface areas of buildings provided no parts are lost and your flight continues South of the Tracking Station.
     !!!Take great care in documenting your rover rocketing distance skills!!!
In order to fairly measure distance, you must turn your perspective front-to-back to screenshot your landing with your targeted flag in the background. The instant you touch down, screenshot your targeted flag. To be eligible to appear on the leaderboards, the distance to target must be clearly legible.
     !!!Bouncing or leaving the ground again does not add to this distance!!!
You must then come to a complete stop, all parts (and Kerbal) accounted for, and snap one last beauty shot to show no parts were lost during braking. Style points awarded per number of structures destroyed by “wall-riding” them. Pictures or it never happened! Video (especially bloopers) preferred, but not required.

Rocket-Rover Qualifications Standards

1. No debug menu cheats allowed! Contextual displays are permitted. For honor, we compete, for less is incomplete.
2. STOCK PARTS ONLY! Any used mods may not alter game physics, nor add parts otherwise unavailable to the stock game. Provided any other mods are not used for the duration of the challenge and your craft still complies with the other rules, your entry is still permitted. This effectively allows modded contextual display of your choice. Tweakscale alters parts physics, therefore any use of it for this challenge results in disqualification. Mechjeb may be used for contextual displays ONLY.
3. No more than TWO 24-77 "Twitch" Liquid Fuel Engines
4. Maximum of TWO Oscar B fuel tanks or ONE FL-T100 fuel tank allowed.
5. No wings! This includes any parts which create lift (like Mk2 parts, for example, though the Mk2 Probe Core will be the exception, provided no more than two are used.)
6. Wheels and rockets only! That means no landing gear. And no sneaking monopropellant thrusters in! Take note: "wheels" does include reaction wheels.
7. No parachutes. Airbrakes are cool though!
8. At least ONE Kerbal is aboard throughout the challenge. You may use your choice of cockpits or command seat. (Take Command mod is welcome.)
9. Your craft must come to a complete stop completely intact (especially your little green Evil Knievel,) with all parts accounted for by pressing F3 and documented.
10. You must use the same craft for both height and distance records attempts. Recovering for fueling up between height and records attempts is allowed, but the craft must be otherwise unchanged to qualify.

SCORING SYSTEM

For each entry, two measurements of length are tallied together, one being the Distance Record distance to target. The maximum height achieved in the Flight Log after your Height Record attempt will be added to the first number, by measure of length from your rocket rover to sea level. This is the nature of the challenge, in that you can combine both abilities into the same rover for epic record-setting.

Height + Distance = Total Score

Bonus units of measure are available! Just add this to your Total Score!

"Wall-riding" instances grant that entry an additional 100 meters to their total score per successful wall-ride. Wall-rides which result in the destruction of the building grant that entry an additional 150 meters, making such instances worth a total of 250 meters bonus per building destroyed. This is possible in both challenges, but not recommended for the height record. Acrobatics bonus units of measure are also available! Safe back flips and front flips grant that entry 25 meters per one full revolution of that craft. All bonus points can be achieved in either challenge or neither. The choice is yours!

I hope this challenge might also inspire some awesome fanart we could use to badge it with.... I've got nothin'.

This video should serve as proof of concept and potentially clear up confusion about the flight plan. Forgive the poor quality of the video, please. It's really not bad, for a laptop. :P Total score gains no bonus points with a Height Record of 143m and Distance Record of 1089m for a Total Score of 1232. Your turn!

Edited by Dark Lion
Pic fails by noobnesss

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/28/2017 at 1:39 PM, The Dunatian said:

Easy mode is far too easy. :/ Are landing gear allowed in hard mode? If so that is quite easy as well. I hope a heat shield is allowed in impossible mode, otherwise that is literally impossible.

I just dropped a sporty rover on Eve with only a fairing to protect it, which I ultimately staged away to land the rover safely on its own "body" lift.

@JK_Kerbineer I'm guessing an un-powered landing on Eve with a stylin' rover wouldn't interest your challenge? :wink:
https://imgur.com/j4euBrG

• 1 month later...

Presenting the Grand Kerbin Easter Egg Hunt!

The Largest Egg Hunt in the Kerbal System!     

The goal of this challenge is to see how many of Kerbin's easter eggs you can visit and plant a flag at in a single mission without refueling.

An 8-bit badge for you to flaunt your success     --->           XEoYSxY.png           <--- (I may improve it later when I have the time)

What do you mean did I make it? Of course I made it!

Rules:

1. No use of cheats or infinite propellant is allowed.

2. Your aircraft must remain below an altitude of 25,000 meters during the flight. (If you choose to fly.)

3. Stock category must be completely stock. No mods of any kind are allowed in stock category.

4. Stock and modded craft are allowed in seperate categories.

Scoring:

Each non-variable location easter egg (the island airfield, crashed ufo, desert temple, inland space center ect.) are worth 100 points.

Monoliths are worth 200 points each.

The green meanie monolith is worth 500 points.

Scoreboard: (Stock)

Scoreboard: (Modded)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a challenge: Since so much debris is wasted in space and that can damage ships, let's try a mission that does not drop any debris, mines asteroids, and cannot be a ssto. ---=Levels of sucessfulness=--- Level 1: Use a single orange tank to get in orbit Level 2: Land on the mun without leaving debris Level 3: To the mun on one tank. Level 4: To duna without debris Level 5: To laythe without debris Level 6: To dres without debris And finally: Level 7: Land on every planet with mining BUT only 5 tanks and 3 engines.

On 15/05/2017 at 7:06 PM, ILikeIke said:

-Most innovative use of a parachute (separate categories for deployed and non-deployed 'chutes)

-Landing on Duna in new ways

-Submarine week (scheduled to coincide with Shark week): longest submarine journey in a stock environment with stock parts

-Kerbal BBQ Program (I have no clue what this is, but I feel like somebody else here can make a challenge to fit the name)

Kerbal BBQ Program: Use the bargain Rocket Parts BBQ-1 Probe core (I think that's what it's called) to get to these locations:

Hangar Island: 5-10 points (Impressive crafts get higher score)

Kerbin's highest peak: 15-20 points

North/south pole: 25-30 points

The Mun North pole: 50 points

Orbit of Kerbol: 75 points

Exit the solar system: 100 points.

RULES:

Only Bargain Rocket Parts and stock can be used

The BBQ-1 Probe core or any stock probe core has to be used-a manned command pod can be added

No Kerbals can breath Wait ignore that...

The Alt-f12 menu can be used, but no crash damage cannot be toggled-nor no re-entry heating for that matter

Bonus Ducks Points:

Orbit Kerbin then land at a Kerbin destination: 10 points

Go to minus and back before landing: 30 points

Get to the mun in under 3 minutes then land at any destination: 50 points

Badge will be given, I guess.

BEGIN YOUR FLYING!

Edited by Robos78

Oh.... I just had a thought!

Make a working UFO SkyDiver!!!

What I mean is there was a show back in 1970 called UFO, by Sylvia and Gerry Anderson... It was brilliant... and like Firefly, was cancelled way too soon... ;.;

Now, in a nutshell, the show is about a secret British Agency trying to keep UFO's from colonizing the Earth, and they had some really cool vehicles, including something called a SkyDiver... which was a submarine with a front section that separates into a jet!!! 

Here's the UFO introduction... I invite you to watch it all, you'll get the picture. But if you want to jump ahead, the Skydiver appears about 40 seconds in. 

This is my challenge, build a working SkyDiver... I would definitely allow the Kerbal Maritime Mod... but added bonus for stock!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Put a stock parts craft in orbit using only two Oscar B tanks for fuel.

Want to use Mechjeb? Sure.

Want to try manned? Pretty sure (s)he is going to die, but go ahead. 

Not sure how to score this. Probably points for lowest weight. Points for making it to space. Points for making orbit. Extra points for highest orbit. Suggestions?

Hmm, needs more challenges, eh? I've been kicking one around for awhile...

Island Airfield Race!

Jeb and Val are having a BadS-wagging contest, about who can make it to the top of the control tower at the Island Airfield first!

The rules are simple:

1. Stock parts only, other mods okay.

2. Start with a brand-new sandbox save. Get to the top of the control tower at the Island Airfield by any means possible that doesn't include Hyperedit/Alt-F12. Lowest game elapsed time upon arrival wins! 

3. Separate Teams (Jeb vs Val) competing in separate categories for jet power, rocket power, and surface transport (boat/rover). You may compete in as many categories as you want, but try to stick to one Team.

4. Craft File please, as well as screenshots or videos.

here is a quick challenge idea:

70k Scramble 

This is a race from the launchpad (or runway) up to the Karmen Line (70,000m altitude) and then back to the surface.

Once your craft touches down and stops moving/tumbling/exploding press F3 and snap a screenshot to show your mission time! Fastest time wins!

• must have at least one Kerbal on board (because Kerbal facial expressions are awesome!), otherwise no restrictions for parts, mass, etc...
  • sandbox or career game, normal difficulty (no tampering with atmosphere settings!)
  • no cheating (infinite fuel, no part breaking, etc..)
  • entry must be one continuous flight, so no quick-saving for your official entry
  • stock-alike mods are fine, however should probably get their own leader board. please list any mods you used, and try to keep the list short!
  • no auto-pilots, pilot flight aides, or suicide burn helpers.... the craft needs to be controlled by the player
  • you can land anywhere you like

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2017 at 7:58 PM, Just Jim said:

Hey everyone, a couple weeks ago our good friend @Badie from Squad started a "Weekly Challenge", which seems to have attracted quite a lot of attention, and is off to an excellent start. And after talking to her a little about it, I thought it might be a nice idea to start a thread with suggestions for future challenges, so she isn't stuck trying to do it all herself.

The rules for your challenge suggestion are up to you, but please bear in mind these weekly challenges are just for fun, and a chance to show off some of your wilder KSP creations and/or moments. They aren't meant to be as difficult or strict as "official" challenges, so to speak, and with maybe an exception here and there, not the kind of challenge you would do to earn a badge.

So I'll go first with a suggestion I pm'd @Badie a couple days ago concerning the new green meanie monoliths recently added into the game. Turns out they're randomly generated anywhere on a planet or moon, and will never appear twice in the same place from game to game. So you can't help anyone else, or spoil it for anyone, by posting a screenshot of where you may have found one.

Which is my weekly challenge submission. Quite simply, find a green meanie monolith and post a screenshot of it, and maybe the ship and/or rover that located it.... the more unusual the location the better.

Now, I leave the floor open to the rest of the forum... what can y'all come up with for a weekly challenge???

Minmus and back with only SRBs:cool:

Spoiler

(Ignore that⬆️ I can’t get it to go away:mad:)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.